HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jan 16, 2010, 11:30 AM

LOL I didn't think they would either. Lesson learned was never park at Station Square .

This was back in the early 90's. I used to at times park in the mall and go shopping downtown. And not once was I ever towed or ticketed. First time I park at station square for an extended time and I get a ticket

Old Posted Jan 16, 2010, 3:04 PM

FWIW I think at Station Square there is four hour parking but only towards the top of the parking structure, not surface which is only two hours.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2010, 6:03 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Wow I certainly hope people don't take this stuff as fact. If you are issued a ticket by a private company such as Impark etc, it certainly can affect your credit. The thing is they don't normally list ,because it costs them money to do so, the math isn't in their favour to list every unpaid ticket as they know the return won't offset their cost. They will though pay to list if you have multiple tickets as the math begins to swing into their favour. I just want to clarify that they are infact enforceable. Besides effecting your credit they can have your car impounded.

Can someone post a picture of a ticket with the $5 Surcharge, ideally both a 1 zone one and a 2 zone one. I'm curious what they'll state.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2010, 6:36 PM

I feel mislead - I read the thread title and expected to hear about how Vancouver is treating visitors for the Winter Olympics!

Old Posted Jan 19, 2010, 12:20 AM

Well it could be worse. I read the link on the buzzer blog about the Bart trains to their airport.

http://reason.com/blog/2010/01/10/go...f-the-rails-as

Old Posted Jan 19, 2010, 2:19 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tybuilding View Post
Well it could be worse. I read the link on the buzzer blog about the Bart trains to their airport.

http://reason.com/blog/2010/01/10/go...f-the-rails-as
See BART has the issue of not being self-sufficient because of the mass size of their system. BART itself is not only a metro for San Francisco, but also a commuter railway for the entire region. It runs quite a few lines interlined with each other (avoiding transfers, but at quite a cost to the transit agency) and many long trains. It would be wise for them to start thinking of shuttle trains for transfers or ending a few of the routes earlier, letting the other intertwined line do the rest of the work. Don't forget, within San Francisco, BART is also "competing" against MUNI, San Francsico City's Transportation Agency, as well as CalTrain in the Bay Area.

They are increasing their airport surcharge based on the fact that they need money. And while, yes, TransLink is in need of money as well, the SkyTrain system is already self sufficient, aside from the Canada Line, which is almost there. I wonder what effect the airport surcharge will have, and will the effect be large enough to make the Canada Line self sufficient.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2010, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabotp View Post
LOL I didn't think they would either. Lesson learned was never park at Station Square .

This was back in the early 90's. I used to at times park in the mall and go shopping downtown. And not once was I ever towed or ticketed. First time I park at station square for an extended time and I get a ticket
You should actually have disputed that in court.

It is my understanding that a free lot needs to give you a warning for your first offence and can't charge you money as you are not costing them anything (the parking company doesn't gain/lose money if you are there for 10 minutes or 10 days without paying as there is no revenue). They can only use fines to discourage repeat offenders as that could be costing other businesses money. By giving out fines to first time offenders they are just hoping the person doesn't want to dispute it and pay. It's free money.

That's just my understanding, I'm not a lawyer so this isn't legal advice. The main sticking point is how do they prove it if you contest it. In a pay parking spot they can prove you didn't pay. If it's a time limit, they need evidence, do they have a photograph of your car with a clock behind it, then one 3 hours later? Can the attendant really remember every single car in the lot all the time? In a free lot you are a guest (not a customer as there is no equal consideration involved), and you can't just start fining your guests because they upset you a tiny bit. There needs to be actual damages.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 9:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPhil View Post
You should actually have disputed that in court.

It is my understanding that a free lot needs to give you a warning for your first offence and can't charge you money as you are not costing them anything (the parking company doesn't gain/lose money if you are there for 10 minutes or 10 days without paying as there is no revenue). They can only use fines to discourage repeat offenders as that could be costing other businesses money. By giving out fines to first time offenders they are just hoping the person doesn't want to dispute it and pay. It's free money.

That's just my understanding, I'm not a lawyer so this isn't legal advice. The main sticking point is how do they prove it if you contest it. In a pay parking spot they can prove you didn't pay. If it's a time limit, they need evidence, do they have a photograph of your car with a clock behind it, then one 3 hours later? Can the attendant really remember every single car in the lot all the time? In a free lot you are a guest (not a customer as there is no equal consideration involved), and you can't just start fining your guests because they upset you a tiny bit. There needs to be actual damages.
I just never paid it. I threw the ticket in the garbage. So I do agree I could of taken it to court. I just figured it was a waste of time. I think they called me once and that was it.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 2:16 PM
loafing in lotusland

I don't know how they do it now, but they used to mark tires with Chalk. One mark for an hour, etc.

I'd imagine they just enter the plates into a palm reader as they pass now.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 6:23 AM

Granville Island is going to 100% pay parking soon, so I was told by an employee there today.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 6:24 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Increases the importance for the streetcar? I would hope so.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 6:25 AM

I did not know they had *any* free parking. Where was it ? Just one spot?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 6:26 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
I did not know they had *any* free parking. Where was it ? Just one spot?
The entire island practically. I believe it's the first two hours free... but better check on the site for confirmation.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 6:29 AM

Hmm, you could be right. Maybe I was a sucker who paid this past Summer

It being free just does not make sense. But I can see how the merchants could argue less people would go.

Which is probably true.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 8:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
Hmm, you could be right. Maybe I was a sucker who paid this past Summer

It being free just does not make sense. But I can see how the merchants could argue less people would go.

Which is probably true.
I don't know if that would be true in this case. Half the times I actually drive to Granville Island I just end up driving around in one big circle looking for a spot then leave and park somewhere else and take a long walk in. It seems half the other cars end up doing the same.

Pay parking, at reasonable rates, doesn't hurt the waterfront out here in White Rock. And the rate fluctuates depending on season, and in fact right now during the week it's free. There is no reason Granville Island couldn't do the same and charge for parking during the day to encourage more turn around and less during the winter when there are empty spots.

I'm looking forward to the historic trams being back this summer so I don't have to drive to Granville Island anymore.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 9:14 AM

granville island had free limited parking and areas that were pay parking meaning you always got a spot - the free spots went fast and were hard to find

Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 9:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad Yablonski View Post
Granville Island is going to 100% pay parking soon, so I was told by an employee there today.
For the Olympics from Feb 1 Cartwright St. next to the False Creek Community Centre will be closed to traffic and a $5.00 flat rate will apply across the Island for daytime & evening parking (2 hours max). Free after 10:00 pm I think til 10:00 am.

Found it:

Quote:
During February 2010
Parking is limited on the Island during February 2010. Please consider alternative transportation to travel to Granville Island. Between 10am and 10pm, paid parking will be available for a maximum of two hours, for a flat rate of $5.00. All available parking will be designated paid parking during this period.
http://www.granvilleisland.com/how-find-us

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure