HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 7, 2013, 1:19 PM

The Southern Land tower project is moving forward. Financing has been secured and construction is scheduled to start in the spring. Souther Land Co. also said they moving there headquarters to the tower taking up about one-third of the overall space.

Green Hills mixed-use project advances
Southern Land Co. buys needed acreage for $13.5 million

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...095/BUSINESS02

Quote:
Southern Land Co. on Friday purchased the 2.5 acres it needed for its planned mixed-use project in Green Hills for roughly $13.5 million.
Quote:
He said the company doesn’t need any additional land for its upscale residential, retail and office community that’s expected to include a 22-story, 300-unit residential tower at the back of the site, 15,000 square feet of restaurant/retail space and 55,000 square feet of office space.
Quote:
Southern Land will move its headquarters to the site, taking about one-third of the overall office space.
Quote:
The project is expected to be funded with 40 percent equity and 60 percent debt, all of which has already been secured, Southern Land officials said, citing Baltimore-based Redwood Capital as an equity source.

Construction of the mixed-use project is expected to start this spring and be finished in late 2016.
For those unfamiliar with the tower.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2013, 3:06 PM

Here is the current progress of the Mondrian at 12th & Laurel. 23 stories/ 270'
Photo came from a poster on UP that allowed me to share...

The render.

and current progress. Appears to be at about the 9th maybe 10th floor now, and rising quickly. Sorry for the big pic.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2013, 3:32 PM

The Homewood suites on West End is set to open any time now. In addition, a letter of intent for the building’s retail space has been signed with well-known Nashville restaurant F. Scott’s slated to be the tenant.

West End Homewood Suites set to open
http://nashvillepost.com/blogs/postb...es_set_to_open

Old Posted Oct 7, 2013, 4:35 PM

If anyone doubts that Nashville is about to have a significant boom, then you should read this. I think everything we have been seeing the past few years (which is a lot) is just the beginning. Look for Nashville to start seeing some crazy development in the coming years. Stay tuned...

Nashville 'actively negotiating' 69 economic development deals
http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville...iating-69.html

Quote:
The Nashville Area Chamber of Commerce offered a preview of some of the economic development deals it has in the pipeline at Thursday's CCIM Economic Outlook, an annual commercial real estate event.

Without naming names, Janet Miller, the chamber's chief economic development officer, said the group is working on 69 active relocation and expansion projects that would generate 17,000 new jobs. The majority of relocation deals the chamber is chasing are corporate operations, followed by advanced manufacturing, supply chain management and music and entertainment, Miller said.

Those potential jobs represent hundreds of millions of dollars in capital investment and millions of square feet of commercial real estate.

In 2012, the Nashville metropolitan statistical area led the nation in job growth for metro areas with over 1 million in population. So far this year, Nashville is No. 2 behind Houston, Miller said.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2013, 6:21 PM
Future God

You know, I have always assumed that the Mondrian was going to be black in color, but it just occured to me that that is probably only because the rendering is of the structure in evening light. Does anyone know for sure? Is this going to be blueish glass?

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Oct 7, 2013, 6:28 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
You know, I have always assumed that the Mondrian was going to be black in color, but it just occured to me that that is probably only because the rendering is of the structure in evening light. Does anyone know for sure? Is this going to be blueish glass?
I figure it will probably be variations of blue, at least I don't think by that rendering that the glass will be all one color, but at the same time that night time rendering could have been used to allow some changes to the materials and glass used without giving the impression that what was presented is what's for sure being built (that's probably thinking too much into it though). I'd say blue glass is what we'll probably get, but variations of light blue, dark blue, and gray or black would look nice.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2013, 7:51 PM

I assume some form of blueish tint to the glass as well. Regular black tinted glass on a "Luxury Condo Tower" doesn't seem to fit the bill. Not only that, but black tinted glass like what's used on the Regions tower, (if thats what your meaning) isn't really used much today anymore.

Anyway's....The glass in the render clearly looks blue to me...

Old Posted Oct 7, 2013, 9:18 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIRYDI View Post
I assume some form of blueish tint to the glass as well. Regular black tinted glass on a "Luxury Condo Tower" doesn't seem to fit the bill. Not only that, but black tinted glass like what's used on the Regions tower, (if thats what your meaning) isn't really used much today anymore.

Anyway's....The glass in the render clearly looks blue to me...
I think bna was referring to something more along these lines.
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=448

Old Posted Oct 8, 2013, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitekte View Post
I think bna was referring to something more along these lines.
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=448
Interesting tower.

I'm not really feeling the mixed black and blue there, but it's different that's for sure. As for the black glass on the bottom...I hope nothing that dark ends up on the Mondrian. It would not be a good look imo.

I'm pretty sure the glass will be blue, and it's just the render that looks to be done at sunset or something that's making it seem a weird darker color.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2013, 6:22 PM

Alex Palmer better get WES going pretty quickly. This announcement has offcially put him and his project on notice. The OneC1ty project was mentioned as an alternative for his anchor tenants (Parallon and SCRI) if WES failed to materialize.

Groundbreaking date set for OneC1ty project
http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville...y-project.html

Quote:
OneC1ty, the 19-acre health care technology and mixed-use campus slated for Charlotte Avenue, will break ground on Oct. 24, according to Ryan Doyle, the project's general manager.
Quote:
The first building, which will house the Tennessee Orthopedic Alliance, is expected to be complete in late 2014 or early 2015, said Doyle. In addition to medical office buildings, the campus will include retail spaces and housing options for entrepreneurs-in-residence to live on-campus.
Quote:
The OneC1ty project, estimated to cost $500 million, was first announced in late 2011. In March, Tennessee Orthopedic Alliance announced it will become the site's first tenant. In August, Cambridge Holdings paid $14.3 million for the property, replacing Health Care REIT as the main baker of the project.

Hill Realty moves forward on Sylvan Heights project
http://nashvillepost.com/blogs/postb...eights_project

Quote:
H.G. Hill Realty Co. is not wasting time with its proposed Hill Center Sylvan Heights development. A few weeks after presenting the community with its concept, Hill Realty has completed a specific plan application with the Metro Planning Department.

Vastland snags Midtown strip club property
http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville...trip-club.html

Quote:
Nashville-based real estate firm Vastland Cos. has purchased the Gabrielle's VIP Club property in Midtown for $1.15 million, according to Davidson County property records.

The property is located at 1711 and 1713 Hayes St., and also includes a parking lot.

Ken Renner, a vice president with Vastland, told The Tennessean the company plans to honor Gabrielle's current lease.

"We don't intend to be an operator of that club, but eventually it'll be our intention to use that land for other purposes," Renner told The Tennessean.

Regent scouts West End-area sites for condo development
http://nashvillepost.com/blogs/postb...do_development

Old Posted Oct 9, 2013, 6:33 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

OneC1ty breaking ground could potentially hurt WES, but like I said earlier, the writing is on the walls about WES not happening. What I'm mostly wondering is will Parallon and SCRI want that smaller presence (mainly basing this off of how WES would have impacted the skyline and having both of their signage on the WES towers)...I don't know if mentioning that OneC1ty was an alternate location for them was just a bluff to tell Palmer to get it together or if it's a real possibility (probably a real possibility, and they should be able to deliver that space well before Palmer can deliver WES).

Old Posted Oct 9, 2013, 6:51 PM

If Parallon and SCRI are forced to turn to OneC1ty for space if/when WES falls through, couldn't one or more of the existing buildings on the site be redesigned to be taller and give them more of the space they need? I don't see why that wouldn't be a possibility, and surely the OneC1ty (man that's awkward to type) operators would be happy to have Parallon / SCRI as tenants.

P.S. I'm happy that the Hill development on Charlotte is moving forward. Lots of big things happening, or planned to be happening, along Charlotte. Speaking of which, does anyone know what's being done at the old TDOT headquarters building? The decayed old building was demolished just recently and there are construction signs at the site, but I don't know what's planned for there.

Last edited by EarthRocker; Oct 9, 2013 at 7:03 PM.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2013, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthRocker View Post
If Parallon and SCRI are forced to turn to OneC1ty for space if/when WES falls through, couldn't one or more of the existing buildings on the site be redesigned to be taller and give them more of the space they need? I don't see why that wouldn't be a possibility, and surely the OneC1ty (man that's awkward to type) operators would be happy to have Parallon / SCRI as tenants.
Excellent question! I'm sure the developers would love to have Parallon and SCRI as anchor tenants for their project, and I don't see why if they got a lease from them today they couldn't change some of the designs to accomodate them in any way they needed. Including building two 20+ story towers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthRocker View Post
P.S. I'm happy that the Hill development on Charlotte is moving forward. Lots of big things happening, or planned to be happening, along Charlotte. Speaking of which, does anyone know what's being done at the old TDOT headquarters building? The decayed old building was demolished just recently and there are construction signs at the site, but I don't know what's planned for there.
It's an apartment complex. Here is the article about the development.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...arlotte-Avenue

Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 12:01 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIRYDI View Post
Excellent question! I'm sure the developers would love to have Parallon and SCRI as anchor tenants for their project, and I don't see why if they got a lease from them today they couldn't change some of the designs to accomodate them in any way they needed. Including building two 20+ story towers.
I'm not saying that's out of the question, but Palmer could probably address the issue of biting off more than you can chew. If they have the financing readily available then they might, but the development as it stands now is ready to break ground, and they've possibly already lined up a major tenant to lease space. Pausing construction for a redesign that would need more funding would set them back a year or so if not more and allow another developer to come in and deliver space (similar to how they've possibly done to WES).

Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 9:57 PM

Everyone seems to be concentrating on HCA and the WES, so what about the Intercontinental? If HCA pulls out of the deal, is the Intercontinental dead as well? Palmer keeps indicating that the hotel piece is done. However, I've not read anything about what could happen with the hotel if the office portion of the WES isn't built. Is the Intercontinental committed to Nashville? Would that location still be a viable location for a major hotel chain? Would they really want to be the center piece among a bunch of auto dealerships?

Also, I was reading in the Tennessean that residents in Green Hills plan to fight the 22 story tower that's planned. While it seems like their fight might not go anywhere based on the article, I hope it their fight doesn't deter future developers from building similar projects in the Green Hills area. One resident compared building such buildings in Green Hills to the downtown like atmosphere of Buckhead in Atlanta. I'm kinda getting tired of Nashvillians always making reference to Atlanta as something terrible. If past leaders of Nashville had a real vision for the city decades ago, Nashville could have been Atlanta. But so many restrictions on building height and locations kept developers away. Green Hills is a looooooong ways off from being a Buckhead. It took decades to develop Buckhead into what it is today and I don't see Green Hills growing into a downtown like area ever. It would be nice in my opinion, but the city core will probably see the bulk of Nashville's growth along with mid-town and possibly the west end. Quite frankly, I still think Nashville needs to lure developers to start transforming the East Bank inside the loop, between the Cumberland River and the Interstate. That's a stretch of land that is so underdeveloped and should be so much more than what it is.

Last edited by PillowTalk4; Oct 10, 2013 at 10:24 PM.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 10:28 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by PillowTalk4 View Post
Everyone seems to be concentrating on HCA and the WES, so what about the Intercontinental? If HCA pulls out of the deal, is the Intercontinental dead as well? Palmer keeps indicating that the hotel piece is done. However, I've not read anything about what could happen with the hotel if the office portion of the WES isn't built. Is the Intercontinental committed to Nashville? Would that location still be a viable location for a major hotel chain? Would they really want to be the center piece among a bunch of auto dealerships?
Good question. I would guess that they are committed to Nashville, but as you hinted at only in the right location. They would have hit a grand slam at WES between SCRI and Parallon. Since Palmer already has the hotel portion taken care of financially it might not be a bad idea for him to try to keep the Intercontinental on board with him for a possibly development outside of WES (if WES falls through). As mentioned earlier, Palmer better get with the program quick...OneC1ty is coming.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 10:34 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by PillowTalk4 View Post
Also, I was reading in the Tennessean that residents in Green Hills plan to fight the 22 story tower that's planned. While it seems like their fight might not go anywhere based on the article, I hope it their fight doesn't deter future developers from building similar projects in the Green Hills area. One resident compared building such buildings in Green Hills to the downtown like atmosphere of Buckhead in Atlanta. I'm kinda getting tired of Nashvillians always making reference to Atlanta as something terrible. If past leaders of Nashville had a real vision for the city decades ago, Nashville could have been Atlanta. But so many restrictions on building height and locations kept developers away. Green Hills is a looooooong ways off from being a Buckhead. It took decades to develop Buckhead into what it is today and I don't see Green Hills growing into a downtown like area ever. It would be nice in my opinion, but the city core will probably see the bulk of Nashville's growth along with mid-town and possibly the west end. Quite frankly, I still think Nashville needs to lure developers to start transforming the East Bank inside the loop, between the Cumberland River and the Interstate. That's a stretch of land that is so underdeveloped and should be so much more than what it is.
There's so much backward thinking in those minds that are opposing the tower in Green Hills its amazing. I actually saw someone comment on a Tennessean article a few months ago in relation to one of Tony G's proposals or one of the hotels "Like we really need more construction downtown, it's already bad enough." smh. People are afraid of change though, especially when it can be seen from their street or if its going to change their daily routine.

Money talks though, let a development come through that can economically make a big impact (or benefit Metro or someone with power) and those nimbys' voices won't be so loud/ won't matter.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2013, 7:57 PM

Gulch Crossing off Demonbreum Viaduct start announced

Any comments on the Gulch Crossing office building announced yesterday?

Old Posted Oct 16, 2013, 9:22 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronakim View Post
Any comments on the Gulch Crossing office building announced yesterday?
Yeah, I liked the original design that we got whenever the project was announced, I don't think it looked nearly as generic as the current design, but the new design isn't bad at all, it just looks a little more along the lines of what we're used to. The biggest plus is the amount of retail space that it will have on the ground floor.

Here's the article from the Tennessean if anyone wants to read it:
http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...und-later-year

New renderings:

Old Posted Oct 17, 2013, 4:32 PM

Thanks for linking to the article and the rendering, arkitekte.

I was just wondering about this project the other day, we hadn't heard anything about it in a while. I agree that the original design was much cooler, but this isn't bad at all. The retail space is a good feature, and I especially dig that one of the tenants will be a business moving from Brentwood to downtown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations