HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Apr 23, 2009, 6:19 AM

Translink's new website

http://www.translink.bc.ca

We’ve totally redesigned it to focus on your needs as customers. The old site was really a corporate-focused site: it just wasn’t properly set up to help you get the information you need.

So now, our revised site has a new look and feel, a much more organized structure, and it’s completely focused on helping you find what you need.

For example, research showed that 90 per cent of visitors to the TransLink website were only there to find the trip planner—so a trip planner widget is now in the middle of the homepage.

The trip planner itself has a new feature too: once you select a trip plan option, alerts will now pop up, notifying you of any situations affecting your chosen bus or SkyTrain routes.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2009, 6:24 AM
Vancouver Moderator

The old wasn't bad... LMAO we are still ahead of TTCs by thirty years. I just checked this morning and it wasn't like this. I like it though =)

Old Posted Apr 23, 2009, 6:26 AM
Hello World

Mr.X are you working for Translink or something ? You talked about the website using a first person point of view. Just curious...

Old Posted Apr 23, 2009, 6:28 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetMapel View Post
Mr.X are you working for Translink or something ? You talked about the website using a first person point of view. Just curious...
LMAO.

I just noticed something:

I hope TransLink is going with this style of transit maps... much more clean and European. Notice that Sea Island isn't present... sigh. TransLink makes that mistake all the time and they have a few maps on SkyTrains were the WCE stations are floating on water.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2009, 6:31 AM
Hello World

Hmmm... nevermind the Bridgeport station, how come there are two more stations with a little dot thing representing the station unlike all the other stations (which only has a slash) ? Does it signify something !?

Old Posted Apr 23, 2009, 6:32 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetMapel View Post
Hmmm... nevermind the Bridgeport station, how come there are two more stations with a little dot thing representing the station unlike all the other stations (which only has a slash) ? Does it signify something !?
Transfer Station. Bridgeport of course is the transfer point for the YVR-Airport bound trains and the Richmond-Brighouse bound trains. Oakridge - 41st Avenue station would be the transfer station for the future 91 B-Line, Broadway - City Hall for 99 B-Line, and Waterfront for all the other modes.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2009, 6:53 AM

that's a nice site, and thanks for posting mr.x

btw, i have to thank you for calling me a moron.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2009, 7:29 AM
Vancouver Moderator

One thing I miss is that interactive SkyTrain map that tells you destination times =(

Old Posted Apr 23, 2009, 8:03 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
LMAO.

I just noticed something:

I hope TransLink is going with this style of transit maps... much more clean and European. Notice that Sea Island isn't present... sigh. TransLink makes that mistake all the time and they have a few maps on SkyTrains were the WCE stations are floating on water.
Global warming. They figure the airport will be underwater soon.

I'm just happy they got rid of the Flash header.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2009, 8:20 AM

I dunno. I don't particularly like the new site. I think it's alright.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2009, 1:33 PM

Global warming aside, Vancouver looks so misshapen in that map. And I guess the official name for the northernmost station of the Canada Line is WATERFONT.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2009, 3:05 PM
loafing in lotusland

Oooohh... they used jQuery goodness.

They used Microsoft Asp.Net for the site.

Mr.X2 uses a Mac (or perhaps Safari on Windows)

Do you work in the web dept. of Translink, Mr.X2? That would be a pretty cool job. (Actually, i figured you cut n' pasted that blurb from the site, but I don't see it anywhere)

Last edited by twoNeurons; Apr 23, 2009 at 3:16 PM.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2009, 4:14 PM

Unfortunately, i don't work for Translink....i should have quoted it, but the little blurt there was from the Buzzer.

I'm not surprised that they made a new site though, there was an RFP for it last year.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2009, 5:36 PM

I love the Canada Line map. The actual Line graphic is the exactly the same as the TfL Tube map except the elongated interchange circle at Waterfront. It's simple, clean, and familiar to many. I wonder how they will tie all this in on a map including "SkyTrain". I like the way it's going so far.

Speaking of SkyTrain, it should be interesting how they will fit Canada Line into their graphic buttons. Will they change the terminology from SkyTrain on that button to 'Rapid Transit' which will take you to the next page with the timetables etc., for both systems?

Or will they keep the status quo, but when you get to the next page you will have Canada Line info on it as well?

Or would they be foolish enough to add a 5th button labelled Canada Line with the same 'rail' logo or use a modified one? It should be very interesting when we see the final product. I'm hoping they keep it SkyTrain and sneakily slide the Canada Line onto the second page to avoid the ambiguity the two systems might have on the public.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2009, 7:23 PM

Any of you having troubles opening the pdf maps?? For some reason all the links now have this weird .ashx extension......using a firefox on mac...but there wasn't this problem before...

Old Posted Apr 23, 2009, 7:46 PM

I wonder if this new website is the reason that Google Maps seems to no longer be able to bring up schedules when you click on a bus stop.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2009, 7:50 PM

^ it's great how they feature the buzzer blog prominently on the home page. Jhenifer's done a great job - They've turned a quaint but moribund newsletter into a dynamic online source of info for blogers and forumers.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2009, 7:55 PM

"Canada Line is almost here! When it begins service later this year, SkyTrain's newest line will bring rapid rail service to Metro Vancouver’s busiest north-south corridor, linking Downtown to Richmond and Vancouver International Airport (YVR). The Line will connect people to dozens of local destinations—and a whole world of travel possibilities beyond.

Canada Line adds 16 new stations and 19 km to the SkyTrain network. Nine stations are located in Vancouver, with four in Richmond and three on Sea Island serving the airport."

Go Translink Go!

Old Posted Apr 23, 2009, 8:13 PM
A.H.-Ha!

Where's the sleek-looking "T" logo?

Old Posted Apr 23, 2009, 8:19 PM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
Originally Posted by arashi_1987 View Post
Any of you having troubles opening the pdf maps?? For some reason all the links now have this weird .ashx extension......using a firefox on mac...but there wasn't this problem before...
Sounds like a bug. Try Safari, see if it works.

ashx is a handler to create the pdf dynamically.

As for complaints, I have found submitting them via this form successful in the past:

http://tripplanning.translink.ca/hiw...tomerComplaint

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure