HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 3, 2013, 11:02 PM

This pic from LA

http://www.flickr.com/photos/metrola...n/photostream/

This link shows 3 pages of good multiple skylines of Los Angeles ..

http://www.skylinescenes.com/los-ang...nia_a90p1.html

Old Posted Aug 9, 2013, 9:49 AM
Website Manager

awesome thread guys!

Old Posted Aug 9, 2013, 5:35 PM

Another of Houston. Uptown/Galleria on the left, downtown in the center and the TMC on the right.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tasosgi...is/5334517054/

Old Posted Aug 10, 2013, 1:56 AM

That's a beautiful panorama! Unfortunately much of Uptown is blocked by Greenway Plaza. It's difficult to get everything in one shot. Where was this taken from?

Edit: Was this taken from Rice Stadium?

Old Posted Aug 11, 2013, 8:40 PM

Here is an awesome pic showing the amazing number of separate skylines Metro Vancouver has for being a metro area of only 2.5 million.

Within this pic you can clearly see downtown's skyline, along with North Vancouver's, Lougheed's, Brentwood's, Edmond's, Metrotown's, and Broadway's.

Also, you can see parts of Surrey's, West Vancouver's, and New Westminster's.

Missing from this photo is Coquitlam's, Richmond's, and Ioco's skylines.

Also of not, 4 of these skylines currently have towers over 500 feet currently under construction or soon to start construction.

Picture source: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...53#post6228753

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 4:04 AM

From Sunset Park in Brooklyn you can see the skylines of five CBDs: Newark, Jersey City, Lower Manhattan, Midtown Manhattan, and Downtown Brooklyn.

Unfortunately in this shot Downtown Brooklyn is off to the right of the picture, but you can see the other for skylines:

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 4:10 AM

Anyone know of any existing pictures with Dallas and Fort Worth? The distance between them (31 miles) and the location of the two CBDs in the Trinity River valley would be issues though. I'm thinking the easiest perspective would be above and west of downtown Fort Worth in a helicopter or so, angled to look past it towards downtown Dallas.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 4:15 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxRox View Post
Anyone know of any existing pictures with Dallas and Fort Worth? The distance between them (31 miles) and the location of the two CBDs in the Trinity River valley would be issues though. I'm thinking the easiest perspective would be above and west of downtown Fort Worth in a helicopter or so, angled to look past it towards downtown Dallas.
Here's one:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...4&postcount=11

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 4:17 AM

Thanks, I should have thought to dig back through the thread. That's the angle I was picturing more or less.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2013, 7:10 AM

on page 4, the photo of st. louis and clayton, i was thinking that was a distance of about 4 miles from the st. louis core out to clayton. i sort of like the variance in color of those foreground buildings. they don't appear to be orange, but they aren't bright reds, etc. it looks as if clayton is building up quiet nicely. is this a view looking toward the river and the arch? if it were, i was thinking that the main thoroughfare shown would be broadway, but i may be completely turned around. i don't see the cathedral of st. louis, which would be on the left, heading east, next, continuing east, would be st. xavair on the right hand side.

good photos, and it looks as if the city is doing really well, w/ the exception of consistent low-ball pop counts for the city. although it has been about a year since i was there, i thought the city looked very nice.

another nice city, if it could just be treated as a single city, is kansas city. dividing up the cities, imo, is not doing them any favors for several reasons, amongst them federal dollars, state dollars, etc. it is a big place, also. even if you just consider kansas city, mo alone. memphis got caught up in the dual core thing just because of power, egos, and greed, which happens in many places; however, it would have been so much better if it were brought together. about half of memphis is never seen, due to its layout. houston looks terribly small in the photo shown, but i think there are some flattering photos out there. thanks for sharing. kingchef

Old Posted Sep 17, 2013, 5:44 PM

wow! just amazing photos guys. this has to be the most interesting thread on this site. a few of the photos of Buffalo/Niagara/Toronto are especially interesting as is the photos of Houston. keep 'em coming?

Old Posted Sep 17, 2013, 6:29 PM

City of London skyline with Canary Wharf in the background:

Sauce.

EDIT: Better one (sorry for the massive size):

More sauce.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2013, 6:35 PM
FUS RO DAH!

this photo is mine... in the foreground, mostly behind a hill, Novo Hamburgo. 2nd skyline is São Leopoldo. Occupying the entire background is Porto Alegre (40km away from Novo Hamburgo and 60km away from the hill I took the photo).

Between São Leopoldo skyline and Porto Alegre we can also see Canoas skyline.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2013, 2:07 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Oakland and San Francisco

source

Old Posted Sep 18, 2013, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamilton View Post
From Sunset Park in Brooklyn you can see the skylines of five CBDs:
Newark, Jersey City, Lower Manhattan, Midtown Manhattan, and Downtown Brooklyn.

Unfortunately in this shot Downtown Brooklyn is off to the right of the picture, but you can see the other for skylines:
Here's it with the new World Trade Center. Came out too small with all in one. But each shot has two skylines. Jersey City and Lower Manhattan:

looking to the right to catch Midtown:

Old Posted Sep 19, 2013, 3:15 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchef View Post
on page 4, the photo of st. louis and clayton, i was thinking that was a distance of about 4 miles from the st. louis core out to clayton. i sort of like the variance in color of those foreground buildings. they don't appear to be orange, but they aren't bright reds, etc. it looks as if clayton is building up quiet nicely. is this a view looking toward the river and the arch? if it were, i was thinking that the main thoroughfare shown would be broadway, but i may be completely turned around. i don't see the cathedral of st. louis, which would be on the left, heading east, next, continuing east, would be st. xavair on the right hand side.

good photos, and it looks as if the city is doing really well, w/ the exception of consistent low-ball pop counts for the city. although it has been about a year since i was there, i thought the city looked very nice.

another nice city, if it could just be treated as a single city, is kansas city. dividing up the cities, imo, is not doing them any favors for several reasons, amongst them federal dollars, state dollars, etc. it is a big place, also. even if you just consider kansas city, mo alone. memphis got caught up in the dual core thing just because of power, egos, and greed, which happens in many places; however, it would have been so much better if it were brought together. about half of memphis is never seen, due to its layout. houston looks terribly small in the photo shown, but i think there are some flattering photos out there. thanks for sharing. kingchef
it's about 7 miles from the arch to downtown clayton, i believe, with the central west end skyline in the middle and the midtown skyline between the cwe and downtown.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2013, 3:17 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

it's crazy how compressed this shot is! that's at least three seperate skylines.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2013, 4:43 AM

I don't have a picture, but I figured out that it's possible to get the Wilmington and Philadelphia skylines in one view from the St. Georges Bridge. I'll have to do that some time.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giovanni sasso View Post
i took a helicopter ride out of sayreville nj once (slightly southwest of staten island), and you could see philly on the horizon. as the crow flies, it was roughly 80 miles. impossible to get both philly and new york in the shot, though.

you can, however, stitch together a panorama that has both philadelphia and atlantic city. there's a fire tower on apple pie hill in the pine barrens that is exactly 32 miles from both philly and AC, and you can see both on a clear day.

Wow, these pictures fascinate me! I was born and raised in South Jersey across the river from Philadelphia and was interested in how far you can see the skyline of Philadelphia and especially how far you can see the skyline of New York when I was growing up because we had relatives in Jersey City and it was always a thrill to be going up the turnpike and see the twin towers for the first time right at Exit 11 if it was clear enough. And I had always wished I could see the World Trade Center from a hill where I lived 80 miles away but my father explained how that was not possible due to the curvature of the earth. But on our countless travels down to the shore on Rt. 72, I was wondering if there was some place where you could see Philadelphia because there was a part of Rt. 72 and Rt. 532 where the scrub pines were that seemed to be quite hilly. And I remember seeing Apple Pie Hill on a road map when I was a kid and wanted to go there but because there was only a dirt/sand road to get there, my father didn't want to take the car in there.

I live in Florida now but I'm going to be in Jersey for a visit in a few weeks and after seeing these great photos from Apple Pie Hill, I plan to finally go there. And it got me thinking that maybe it's worth a look up towards New York too.

So I did some calculations.....

The distance from Chatsworth to New York is 68 miles, according to this link when you enter the two cities.

http://www.distancefromto.net/

Apple Pie Hill is 205 ft.

The tower is 60 ft. but let's say you only climb half way up which would = 235 ft.

The roof of One World Trade Center is 1,368 ft.

The top of the mast is 1,776 ft.

Then you do the math with this elevation and distance to horizon calculator

http://www.boatsafe.com/tools/horizon.htm

From 1,368 ft. the distance to the horizon is 49 miles.

Then you add the distance to the horizon from 235 ft. on Apple Pie Hill.

It comes out to 20 miles.

Add the 49 and 20 miles and you get 69 miles (Chatsworth is 68 miles)

So what that means is on a clear day, you should be able to see the entire 400 feet of the mast of One World Trade Center above the horizon!

Being that it has a unique shape, it should be visible assuming it's a very clear day and you know exactly where to look.

It will be real interesting to get that view. But even if I can't see that, being able to see Philadelphia will be more than enough for me!

Last edited by tampagar; Oct 9, 2013 at 6:23 PM.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 12:12 AM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions