HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 16, 2017, 9:00 PM

^ Good points. I suppose it has worked out from a financial point of view given that Redblacks tickets are a somewhat hot commodity, but the south side stand at TD Place is irritatingly small. Even 5 more rows on the lower deck would have kept it from looking so piddly.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2017, 12:16 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Despite being an urban site, Ottawa can eventually boost permanent capacity substantially if the old north grand stand is demolished, moved back to the edge of the lot line, and a mirror of the south grand stand built. If one does this enough room is created to build a sunken bowl of about 20,000 between each grandstand.
I'm curious how this would affect the arena below. Presumably you could do some fancy engineering but if you're sinking a bowl you have to keep in mind there's already a sunken arena directly next to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
You could get permanent seating of about 40,000 between the goal lines if it's designed to maximize the lot. For Grey Cups you could add another 15,000 to the east end zone and get that place to 55,000 without adding anything to the west end zone.
I actually see there being more potential in the East End than North. You could very easily build a 10/15K permanent stand including a corner with the South Stand (again, if engineered properly). For the West stand you could add a few rows below the concourse and, if you were ambitious, add seating above the concourse. It wouldn't be a lot of people but more seats are more seats.

I really don't see any need for Ottawa to have a stadium larger than 40K/45K, and even then only on special circumstances (like Grey Cups or outdoor hockey games)

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Good points. I suppose it has worked out from a financial point of view given that Redblacks tickets are a somewhat hot commodity, but the south side stand at TD Place is irritatingly small. Even 5 more rows on the lower deck would have kept it from looking so piddly.
Scarcity of tickets is more valuable than the opposite. ~24Kish is a good number for regular season REDBLACKS games - just enough to sell out but not too many that seats have to be discounted to be sold.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2017, 2:00 AM

The NHL 100 game tickets go on sale to Ottawa RedBlack season ticket holders on June 20th.

OSEG specifically designed the stadium with fewer seats than the older stadium to create a shortage tickets and therefore a buzz. Buy your tickets in advance (preferably as season tickets) or you may not get in. It was the formula first successfully implemented by the Als. There is nothing worse as a fan experience to be in a half empty stadium. Note the Argos at Rogers Centre.

It simply will be next to impossible to rebuild the north side grand stand with the arena underneath. There is no room to move it given the redevelopment of Lansdowne Park in general.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2017, 2:56 AM

Would the 67s ever consider moving to the potential new arena that Ottawa may eventually build? They'd have to share with the sens but i'm sure that could be manageable. If this were to happen in say 10 years and the RedBlacks are still a success (and maybe even if they're not) the north side could be blown up a rebuilt.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2017, 3:43 AM

Lions vs Riders

BC looking pretty awesome at the half with Jennings lighting up the Rider D. KG is everything the Rider fans have been telling us for years, deer in the headlights bad. Maybe the second half will be the Rider half when the Lions take their starters out!

‘I believe in science’ is a statement generally made by people who don’t understand much about it. - Judith Curry, Professor Emeritus GIT

Old Posted Jun 17, 2017, 3:59 AM
Starring as himself

It looks like an NFL team vs. a high school team. I might have underestimated the Lions.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2017, 11:58 AM

Saskatchewan has major QB issues. Watching Glen last night cemented the fact that he can't be a number 1 anymore. Good thing the fans have Mosaic field this year cause it's going to be a long one. On the other hand I think BC has a good chance at taking on Calgary for the #1 spot in the West.

Is the a Skyscraper pick'em pool this year?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2017, 2:53 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by The S'toon Goon View Post
Would the 67s ever consider moving to the potential new arena that Ottawa may eventually build? They'd have to share with the sens but i'm sure that could be manageable. If this were to happen in say 10 years and the RedBlacks are still a success (and maybe even if they're not) the north side could be blown up a rebuilt.
They're owned by different groups so i'm sure it isn't manageable.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2017, 3:22 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
They're owned by different groups so i'm sure it isn't manageable.
Yes, the Redblacks, 67's and Ottawa Fury soccer club are all owned by the same group. The Sens are owned by Eugene Melnyk. It's not really a friendly relationship.

The NHL outdoor game was almost scrapped as a result of the tiff.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2017, 12:11 AM

If the RedBlacks were selling out their games weeks in advance there would be a justification for expanding the stadium. As it stands, they usually only sellout a few days or hours before the game so there is no need. In fact, right now there are several hundred seats available to their home opener in a few days (not counting single seats either).

One flaw with their stadium is the first two rows of seats on the newly built south side built just a foot or two above field level. They are obstructed and listed as such on the website. Tough sell. Not sure what they were thinking when they designed it as such rather than having the first row 6 or 7 feet above field level as it should be in stadiums like new Mosaic, IGF and Tim Hortons Field.

Eventually the north side will have to be destroyed (20 - 25 years from now perhaps?) as those stands are already incredibly old and at that point we should see a new stand built. This will have to have a significantly larger capacity than the south side as the north stand currently seats 14,000.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2017, 4:29 AM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post

One flaw with their stadium is the first two rows of seats on the newly built south side built just a foot or two above field level. They are obstructed and listed as such on the website. Tough sell. Not sure what they were thinking when they designed it as such rather than having the first row 6 or 7 feet above field level as it should be in stadiums like new Mosaic, IGF and Tim Hortons Field.
Truly the most moronic design flaw of the stadium, since they knew from the beginning that was the side the teams were going to stand on. They managed to turn what should have been the highest revenue-generating seats into useless space. It blows your mind.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2017, 6:51 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

A couple of notable cuts from the CFL as camps closed.

Vince Young cut by the Riders
Drew Willy cut by the Argos

Old Posted Jun 18, 2017, 7:30 PM

^ Vince Young is not a shocker, but I'm a bit surprised by how fast Drew Willy went from Bomber starter to Argo backup to total castoff.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2017, 1:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25grapes View Post
Saskatchewan has major QB issues. Watching Glen last night cemented the fact that he can't be a number 1 anymore. Good thing the fans have Mosaic field this year cause it's going to be a long one. On the other hand I think BC has a good chance at taking on Calgary for the #1 spot in the West.

Is the a Skyscraper pick'em pool this year?
Will it be a pool on when the Riders fire Chris Jones? I'm taking game 10, should be full panic mode in Riderville by then.

‘I believe in science’ is a statement generally made by people who don’t understand much about it. - Judith Curry, Professor Emeritus GIT

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 5:58 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

Season starts tonight!!

Looks like our SSP Pick'em Pool group is still alive. Get your picks in

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horus View Post
Looks like our SSP Pick'em Pool group is still alive. Get your picks in
For anyone new wishing to participate: http://pickem.cfl.ca/groups/1150

Good luck all!

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 8:29 PM

Hopefully tonight's Montreal-Sask season opener will live up to the memorable barn burner they played to start the 2010 season

The whole Durant's revenge angle will be kind of interesting too.

Let the season begin!!!

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 9:23 PM

Hopefully they get more than 18k for the game tonight. My cousin lives there and says going to McGill isnt the fad used to be (plus the team has really sucked for a few years now).

Hoping for a good game regardless of the crappy crowd - I think Riders win by 6 (just a hunch).

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 1:39 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Looks like a full house or close to it at McGill.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 2:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post

The whole Durant's revenge angle will be kind of interesting too.

!!
Backed into that one, first of many heartbreakers for the riders.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada