HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Aug 14, 2015, 3:52 PM

Ottawa & Gatineau are very distinct markets, though... people generally stick to their side outside of work and the northbound booze/sex/ski trips.

If anything this shows that Simons gets it.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2015, 4:00 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Ottawa & Gatineau are very distinct markets, though... people generally stick to their side outside of work and the northbound booze/sex/ski trips.

If anything this shows that Simons gets it.
I get that sense as well. Peter Simons is a smart guy with good instincts.

Simons Rideau won't be a "destination" for people on the Quebec side. They'll go to the Gatineau store for the most part. They may pop into the Rideau store if they work in the area or happen to be at Rideau for some other reason, but by and large their "go-to" store is going to be the one in Gatineau.

The marketing for the Gatineau store is very much "you wanted us and we're finally here!", and tailored to a market that already knew the brand. Peter Simons said he was actually shocked at the postal code data that showed how big a chunk of the clientele at his Laval store (and to a lesser degree the downtown Montreal store) came from the Gatineau area.

Simons Rideau will have more of a "let's get to know each other" type of approach. They're not totally unknown in Ottawa like they were in Edmonton, but it's still more virgin territory than Gatineau is.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2015, 4:12 PM

And just to add to this discussion, if Sherbrooke, with a population of just over 150,000 is home to a Simons store which is always busy (I shopped there a few times), then surely Ottawa-Gatineau with a population of well over a million, can surely support 2 Simons stores. I have zero doubts about their success on both sides of the river.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2015, 4:18 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radster View Post
And just to add to this discussion, if Sherbrooke, with a population of just over 150,000 is home to a Simons store which is always busy (I shopped there a few times), then surely Ottawa-Gatineau with a population of well over a million, can surely support 2 Simons stores. I have zero doubts about their success on both sides of the river.
I also suspect that Simons has learned from the mistakes made by Les Ailes de la Mode at Bayshore.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2015, 4:44 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

Agreed on distinct (Ott/Gat), but the cross border flow is probably much greater than thought. For example, just drive through the Rideau Centre parking lots and note the quantity of Quebec plates.

As for the Nordstrom comment on the previous page, I for one shop there regularly, and judging by the crowds (and my casual questioning of the staff), they seem to be doing very well. It's not just a store filled with expensive items....they have something for everyone. Incidentally, their Bazille restaurant and ebar coffee shop are excellent, too.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2015, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
I think there are some exceptions to this. For instance, the Market is heavily supported by people from the Gatineau side. I often wonder if it would have as vibrant a street life without Gatineau so close.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2015, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac888yow View Post
As for the Nordstrom comment on the previous page, I for one shop there regularly, and judging by the crowds (and my casual questioning of the staff), they seem to be doing very well. It's not just a store filled with expensive items....they have something for everyone. Incidentally, their Bazille restaurant and ebar coffee shop are excellent, too.
That's good to hear, because things will only improve. Once Simons etc. open and the Rideau Centre becomes the dominant shopping destination in the region, I expect Nordstrom to benefit in a big way.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2015, 4:52 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac888yow View Post
Agreed on distinct (Ott/Gat), but the cross border flow is probably much greater than thought. For example, just drive through the Rideau Centre parking lots and note the quantity of Quebec plates.
I definitely agree there is a pretty good flow.

But the Rideau Centre is so close to the border that if it were representative you'd have at least one third Quebec plates in the parking. I don't think that's the case.

Maybe even more Quebec plates as we're also more auto-dependent than you guys.

I also agree with Phil about the Market. Close to half the conversations you generally overhear on the sidewalks are in French so that gives you an indication.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2015, 5:29 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

Definitely agree about the market too, at least in terms of my recent weekend visits. I heard a ton of French conversations while shopping, dining, and strolling the streets...somehow I doubt they're all Franco-Ontarian.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2015, 11:08 PM

While I agree that in general, Ottawa and Gatineau can each support a Simons store (Edmonton is getting a second one, for example), there's a long history of Quebec chains that have had the people of Quebec turn against them. Simons took MANY years before deciding to make any moves outside of Quebec, even though Ottawa in particular was begging for the store. By moving to Ottawa, Simons knows that Gatineau would have been outraged that they didn't receive the fabulous Quebec chain that they know and love. So yes, both cities can support it, but there's more than one reason why Gatineau got a store, and before Ottawa.

That being said, I am headed to Simons tomorrow and I am excited as hell. I just hope its not too much of a nightmare to bus there lol.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2015, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canabiz View Post
Ottawa isn't rich enough for a Prada or Louis Vuitton store.

I don't know about you guys but I checked out Nordstrom on the grand opening day but I have not been back since. I'll probably do the same for Simon's.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...-say-1.3190550
I personally disagree, since the target market isn't necessary local residents anyway. Tourists, especially from abroad, would be the big spenders.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2015, 3:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykl View Post
While I agree that in general, Ottawa and Gatineau can each support a Simons store (Edmonton is getting a second one, for example), there's a long history of Quebec chains that have had the people of Quebec turn against them. Simons took MANY years before deciding to make any moves outside of Quebec, even though Ottawa in particular was begging for the store. By moving to Ottawa, Simons knows that Gatineau would have been outraged that they didn't receive the fabulous Quebec chain that they know and love. So yes, both cities can support it, but there's more than one reason why Gatineau got a store, and before Ottawa.

That being said, I am headed to Simons tomorrow and I am excited as hell. I just hope its not too much of a nightmare to bus there lol.
The only reason companies open stores is that it is worth doing so based on the numbers they have in a particular market in terms of demand and market share as well as a location which is in line with the brand. Not to outrage people has nothing to do with it.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2015, 3:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
I personally disagree, since the target market isn't necessary local residents anyway. Tourists, especially from abroad, would be the big spenders.
I don't disagree with you but per this article, our city was only the 7th-most visited one in Canada last year

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/08/26...ers-visit-most

Louis Vuitton only has 8 stores across the country (3 in Toronto, 2 in Vancouver, and 1 each in Montreal, Edmonton, and Calgary). I believe Prada only has 4 stores here (1 each in Toronto, Montreal, Calgary and Vancouver).

I am sure these companies have done their due diligence and the fact they have not opened anything here (or even talk about the possibility of opening a store) speaks volumes, IMO.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2015, 3:35 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegypsy View Post
The only reason companies open stores is that it is worth doing so based on the numbers they have in a particular market in terms of demand and market share as well as a location which is in line with the brand. Not to outrage people has nothing to do with it.
I don't think he meant that Simons opened in Gatineau simply to avoid outraging Gatineau people. But Simons did open in Gatineau in order to capitalize on the Gatineau market in a way it could not have with just a store in Ottawa.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2015, 5:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I don't think he meant that Simons opened in Gatineau simply to avoid outraging Gatineau people. But Simons did open in Gatineau in order to capitalize on the Gatineau market in a way it could not have with just a store in Ottawa.
Oh I totally agree. But it's more to satisfy the size of the market than not having to go to the Rideau Center. People in Gatineau shop in Ottawa in droves.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2015, 12:01 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegypsy View Post
Oh I totally agree. But it's more to satisfy the size of the market than not having to go to the Rideau Center. People in Gatineau shop in Ottawa in droves.
There is a décent sized subset of Gatinois who will not shop at a Québec chain's Ottawa store if they feel snubbed.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2015, 8:07 PM

I went to Simons today & first impression is nice store and selections. I'm a Winners/Costco kind of guy so it is unlikely I'll go out of my way to shop here but my wife may find this place interesting. Half of the store is for the ladies (clothing, shoes, purses, jewellery) and lots of them were milling around the Home section as well.

They were offering free iced coffee and meatballs & that's certainly appreciated.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2015, 8:22 PM

Wasn't planning on going to Simons today, but I found myself going out there after all and I gotta say I'm pretty impressed. Good selection, and most of the product is affordable. A lot of the mens section was their own brand "le 31" which was very reasonably priced and of decent quality. Then they had a few luxury and "aspirational-luxury" brands thrown in the mix (Comme des Garçons, Y-3, Strellson, Tiger of Sweden, G-Star, etc...). It definitely fits a wide demographic, and I can see these guys giving Nordstroms a run for their money for sure. The place was buzzing. One thing I liked was that the staff weren't following you around the store all the time asking you if they could help you with anything; unlike Nordstroms (or Harry Rosen, for that matter)... All in all, a pretty positive experience. Looking forward to having them at Rideau!

Also, in terms of the design of the place, the exterior pre-cast walls were awesome! I want to see more of that in Ottawa!

[Source]

Old Posted Aug 15, 2015, 8:58 PM

I am somewhat looking for a watch and casually checked out the selection at Simons and I am surprised they don't carry the more established brands (unless I am not looking at the right spot).

They have your typical Fossil and associated brands like Skagen, Michael Kors, etc. I don't know if Nordstrom has a more established selection (a quick check of their website shows they are more or less in the same boat as Simons for watches) and I am not a watch snob by any means but it'd be nice to see something like Tissot or Frederique Constant at these spots.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2015, 11:07 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

We went for ice cream at the awesome new Chocolats Favoris nearby and ended up at Simons too!

We could have run into each other guys!

Very nice store. I was impressed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Business, Politics & the Economy