HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Abraj Al Bait in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Mecca Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jan 6, 2009, 4:08 AM

The whole project is very.... interesting........................

Old Posted Jan 6, 2009, 1:43 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Wowww.
x2

Old Posted Jan 6, 2009, 9:33 PM
Don't tear anything down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMark View Post
Yes, but Christians and Jews are not "pagans." Along with the Muslims (and the Sabbians and the Magi), they form a single nation and creed. They are referred to in the Koran, as the "People of the Book." So, forbidding Christians and Jews coming to Mecca is an innuendo ("Bid'a") not an Islamic edict.
Well yes, I wasn't implying that that's stated in the Koran as Islamic law or anything, just that the Saudi Arabian government has enacted this law for a while, and apparently they use that line as justification. And even so, it says they may not approach the "Sacred Mosque" - obviously I know next to nothing about Islamic law, but wouldn't that mean only the mosque itself and not the entire city?

This whole expansion thing is just crazy. It doesn't help that the designs are atrocious. I mean this thing has a giant clock on the top, for crying out loud.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2009, 2:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Wowww.
Bet you will be able to see it from space.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2009, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeHundred View Post
Erm..there are plans for a HUGE expansion.

Yeah..it looks like dominoes. And crap.
lol this is a joke isn't it? they can't need THAT much room for pilgrims...

Old Posted Jan 8, 2009, 5:15 AM

^ Well if I remember correctly, millions travel to Mecca every year for the pilgrimage season, so who knows? But really now, can't they show some originality with that expansion?

Old Posted Jan 8, 2009, 5:47 AM

Can nobody tell that rendering isn't even possible? Is anyone even paying attention? The rendering is so obviously a joke it boggles the mind. The portion of the Abraj Al-Bait that has already been constructed would be in the center-right, right next to the Kabaa, if the render were real.

Flickr Blog Site

Old Posted Jan 8, 2009, 3:30 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Reminds me a bit of the Empire State Plaza in Albany, New York (the part with the anonymous repetitive buildings).

Source: Wikipedia

Old Posted Jan 12, 2009, 1:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainstreet View Post
Well yes, I wasn't implying that that's stated in the Koran as Islamic law or anything, just that the Saudi Arabian government has enacted this law for a while, and apparently they use that line as justification. And even so, it says they may not approach the "Sacred Mosque" - obviously I know next to nothing about Islamic law, but wouldn't that mean only the mosque itself and not the entire city?

This whole expansion thing is just crazy. It doesn't help that the designs are atrocious. I mean this thing has a giant clock on the top, for crying out loud.
The clock part is very okay. It may not look good to the non-Muslims, but it does--in fact, should--look good to the Muslims. Islam is a very strict religion when it comes to timeliness and descipline. The daily, five-time prayers, timing for fasting, etc. etc., are all time-sensitive, and therefore, timed PRECISELY. They must be so observed with the time in mind.

There were clock towers (operated by water) in nearly all Muslim cities in the early medieval times, including Baghdad (which like all other large cities, it had many). Some archtectural drawings of these clock towers survive to the present day. Of all the monsterocity one sees in this willful destruction of the Islamic hallowed ground and relics, only that clock tower has any merit whatsoever!

Old Posted Jan 12, 2009, 4:56 PM
Urban Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMark View Post
There were clock towers (operated by water) in nearly all Muslim cities in the early medieval times, including Baghdad (which like all other large cities, it had many). Some archtectural drawings of these clock towers survive to the present day. Of all the monsterocity one sees in this willful destruction of the Islamic hallowed ground and relics, only that clock tower has any merit whatsoever!
Just as their were clock towers in or around nearly every Christian church of the same period - a reality that we seem to have quickly forgotten. Monastic or cloistered life within the Catholic Church is still very regimented. For most of us, however, large public clocks have been replaced by the convenience of watches or cell phones.

Time, it seems, is not such a novelty as it once was. I still quite enjoy seeing clocks on buildings, even if (for me anyway) it is purely for aesthetic enjoyment. Philadelphia's city hall or the Metlife building in New York are great examples in the US - and neither are half as useful as the one at Mecca will be!

Old Posted Jan 16, 2009, 11:49 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boquillas View Post
Can nobody tell that rendering isn't even possible? Is anyone even paying attention? The rendering is so obviously a joke it boggles the mind. The portion of the Abraj Al-Bait that has already been constructed would be in the center-right, right next to the Kabaa, if the render were real.
I think the same, surely a earlier proposal, much more faraonic, that was not considered further, only 10% of that is being built closer to the religious place. I see that this wonderful rendering pop-up just now, making some confusion to think it would even be considered to be built, but we all know only the huge construction is totally different today. I do not believe either they would desconstruct what is already done in this dense part to have such of impression, much more money waste, which they probably do not have to redo all.

This rendering remember me visions of a Mr. H* in Germany of past time. It could be the same from a visionary person.

The castle will be much smaller. Only the clock higher tower with surrounding ones lower was kept, translated off closer to the religious place.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2009, 7:34 PM

I hate this tower, but I think that mega structure rendering looks worse than it actually would.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2009, 10:19 PM

I got this at SSC. Apparently this is the plan that has been approved recently.

Finally bringing Mecca into.......the 1950s.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2009, 12:00 AM
James

I still don't understand why the buildings have to all look so bland. But other than that this looks so friggin' cool.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2009, 2:44 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

It does look cool. Too bad they would have to destroy many many ancient structures to build something of that magnitude.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2009, 3:51 AM

Neat. . .

Old Posted Feb 28, 2009, 10:52 AM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Main tower is now over 1000 feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thamerium View Post
Photos from my latest Omra trip to Makkah between 21-24, February, 2009...

Old Posted Feb 28, 2009, 8:41 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

When you look at the design from far away it looks kinda cheap but now that I see it closely, I can tell they really put an effort on the details and whatnot. It's looking better than what I expected.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2009, 11:16 PM
The World Is Welcome Here

It's actually quite beautiful. Reminds me of the Jin Mao tower and how it looks bland/cheap from afar but is quite gorgeous once you get up close!

I also think that the master plan circle LOOKS cool, but is quite shameful since so much history will be lost in it's making

Plyg, Metrosexual, & AVENian

Old Posted Mar 1, 2009, 1:48 AM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakegz View Post
I got this at SSC. Apparently this is the plan that has been approved recently.

Finally bringing Mecca into.......the 1950s.
Have these people have no sense of historic preservation? Thats an absolutely appalling idea. That would destroy one of the most historic city centers in the world. Jeez man, these people are ridiculous. But whatever, if they want to destroy their own history than let them go ahead and do so. They all think the world is going to end soon anyways so whatever.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive