HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 6:52 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Edit (stopped caring).

Last edited by sentinel; Feb 18, 2016 at 7:26 PM.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
as it should. theyre not land banks.
Then why has FotP's prevailing justification been "we shouldn't replace this parking lot with a museum because *someday* someone may build something else here"?

That sounds exactly like land banking by a group that has disingenuous reasons to block actual programming in a park.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 8:07 PM
BANNED

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by XIII View Post

The disingenuousness of FOTP and south loop NIMBYs has been deeply disappointing and has made the entire city look bad in a very public way.
this

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
How silly of him to think that the "Museum Campus" would be an appropriate place to put a museum.
How silly of Chicago to have a Museum Campus on the lakefront since the early 20th Century. Where was Friends of the Parking Lots then?

I'm kind of embarrassed to be a Chicagoan now.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 9:49 PM

How silly that in a city of 225 square miles this hinges on 2 acres.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Quit being silly. It's a parking lot on the Museum Campus, nestled between Soldier Field and McCormick Place.

Only a fool would think this is an inappropriate location for a Museum and new park land.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Quit being silly. It's a parking lot on the Museum Campus, nestled between Soldier Field and McCormick Place.

Only a fool would think this is an inappropriate location for a Museum and new park land.
Agreed, and it makes sense considering it's called MUSEUM CAMPUS and the museum will be a big one with a lot of different material and artwork in it.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 10:30 PM

Everybody should be watching the first at least 30 minutes of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDjXJqdXD-I

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 11:16 PM
Development Shill

Quote:
2 acres that would be amazing for a museum and attached park. Effectively the FOTP are just blocking increased tax revenue, recreational space, and cultural growth for the city. The group is a sham and a shame

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 11:27 PM
BANNED

Thumbs down

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...217-story.html

Quote:
Officials behind "Star Wars" creator George Lucas' bid to build a museum along Chicago's lakefront are considering other cities and sites for the project, a city of Chicago lawyer told a federal judge Wednesday, indicating the lawsuit filed to block the proposal has put the project in jeopardy.
This museum, as with every thing great that ever gets proposed in the stupid fucking town, is never gonna happen. Thank you, FOTP for saving the south lot at Soldier Field. Thank you! The city is forever in your debt for saving us from losing our most prized PARKING LOT!

Congrats, LA, on landing your new museum. On behave of all the fucking idiot over at Friends of the Parking Lots, you're welcome.

Quote:
Sieve said the lawsuit could prevent Chicago from having "a valuable resource" that residents will be able to enjoy. Darrah replied that Friends of the Parks could argue "that all the citizens of Illinois would lose out if the museum was there."
I just cannot even fathom the insanity of some of these stupid groups.

Fuck FOTP. Fuck off and die.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 11:58 PM

It's sad that we still have to talk about this. It would be a huge missed opportunity for they city and people of Chicago if one small groups shortsightedness prevents this museum from calling Chicago home. Why doesn't FOTP advocate for actual improvements in Chicago's parks, why does it have to be this one spot, in an area called Museum Campus?

Why not try and create more green space in parks like Montrose, which had HUGE amounts of space dedicated to cars, that's lost park space. Why not advocate for the closing of Humboldt Drive to cars through the park? Things that would increase increase the quality of our parks throughout the city. There are plenty of vacant spots in the city, why not try and create park space there?

They don't do anything to improve Chicago what so ever, it's surprising that people actually side with them (although I understand people's opinion of wanting it just to be park space, not a parking lot or museum). I hope it gets built. We all want the strongest Chicago possible, and I believe that this would be a step in the positive direction.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2016, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XIII View Post
Then why has FotP's prevailing justification been "we shouldn't replace this parking lot with a museum because *someday* someone may build something else here"?

That sounds exactly like land banking by a group that has disingenuous reasons to block actual programming in a park.
Hard to know what people are thinking.

FOTP has a page on their site:

https://fotp.org/the-future-of-the-lucas-museum/

(as is often the case, what happened in San Francisco is misconstrued)

Old Posted Feb 19, 2016, 2:34 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...217-story.html

This museum, as with every thing great that ever gets proposed in the stupid fucking town, is never gonna happen. Thank you, FOTP for saving the south lot at Soldier Field. Thank you! The city is forever in your debt for saving us from losing our most prized PARKING LOT!

Congrats, LA, on landing your new museum. On behave of all the fucking idiot over at Friends of the Parking Lots, you're welcome.

I just cannot even fathom the insanity of some of these stupid groups.

Fuck FOTP. Fuck off and die.
I almost never agree with you but this I do. I am so frustrated buy this is it is almost beyond insane. A private $400 M dollar museum and an almost larger endowment to support it to infinity tax free.

The ass hats from fotspl and any other fb or Trib commenter just want me to puke. They have no idea even if this is a bomb how much $ this would contribute the city when we most need a positive image and another tourism opportunity so desperately needed at this point. Yes we are in a mini building boom but besides the thankful Obama library this would be needed and needed now.

build the damn thing regardless of how ugly it is to some. I hated what happened to the old solder field and its a disgrace that another more expensive option was not done instead. A retractable dome akin to a Dallas Cowboy stadium [ 90K plus ] and than we could have had internal convention space, The Super bowl, ect forever.

That one was a major fuck up and likely cost us the 2016 Olympics, but this is apples to oranges. Build it, adjust it, but damn it build it regardless of the lawsuits.

Even If it has to come down its not like Lucas could not afford it.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2016, 4:47 AM

I grew up in Millgate just a block away from South Works when it was booming. I now live in Marin County just north of San Francisco. It was sad when San Francisco blocked his attempt to build his Museum there.
I was happy when he and Melody decided to build his Museum in Chicago - my home town.
It is crazy that the FOTP feels that an asphalt parking lot has more value than this world class museum will bring to the Museum Campus, Chicago, Illinois and the Midwest. The FOTP should change their name to Friends of Parking Lots or FOPL. Please,please ... courts brings some good old common sense to this crazy motion that may force Chicago to lose a great educational contribution. San Francisco is still weeping from their loss of this museum in his first attempt to build it.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2016, 5:53 PM

nm

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 5:58 PM

Online Petition posted on Curbed to halt FOTP lawsuit against Lucas Museum.

https://www.change.org/p/friends-of-...e-lucas-museum

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deebirch View Post
Online Petition posted on Curbed to halt FOTP lawsuit against Lucas Museum.

https://www.change.org/p/friends-of-...e-lucas-museum
Thanks! Signed and blasted out across the social sphere.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 8:08 PM

If you look at FOTP's 2015 Annual Report (https://fotp.org/media/1182/2015final.pdf), some of their largest sponsors are corporations that we are customers of:

- Exelon (which includes ComEd)
- People's Gas
- Patagonia

Seems to me that the best way to get the message to FOTP would be let these corporations know how unhappy we are about our money being used for such partisan, damaging purposes. I did some googling and came across the email address for Exelon's corporate giving department:

exeloncorporatecontributions@exeloncorp.com

I'm sure the others are easily googleable. It would be even more effective if any of you owned stock in these companies.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Mac View Post

- Exelon (which includes ComEd)
- People's Gas
- Patagonia
People's Gas: MHHoupt@peoplesgasdelivery.com

Dreihaus Trust donates over $20k a year
http://www.driehausfoundation.org/contact/

Sterling Bay sponsored their gala. That is very disappointing considering they are in the development business.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 11:37 PM

I've been trying to provoke a response from @ComEd on twitter, but no bites yet. It does seem to me that Friends of the Park is something a public utility shouldn't support, since it - in effect - forces all of us as customers to fund an organization that most of us deeply disagree with.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive