HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Optima Center Chicago in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 1:37 PM

Cool CHICAGO | Optima Center Chicago | 442 ft | 42 FLOORS | COM

Optima Center Chicago

Type: Residential, Rentals with retail base

Units: 325

Height: N/A

Floors: 42

Start Construction: DeBartolo expects to begin as soon as aprroved.

Completion Date: N/A

Quote:
Celebrated Architect David Hovey's Streeterville Debut

Thursday, November 10, 2011, by Kevin Dickert

Chicago Real Estate Daily reported that the architect/developer David Hovey had purchased a parcel at St. Clair and Illinois streets. Back in February, Curbed mused on what he may have in store for the site. For those of us waiting with baited breath for a glimpse of Hovey's design, spyguy at Skyscraperpage.com, naturally, has come through. The sheer, boxy apartment tower is in the range of 40 stories and features a cantilever near the top. It will contain 325 units and a retail element.

http://chicago.curbed.com/archives/2...ille-debut.php

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Last edited by Steely Dan; Nov 22, 2011 at 8:03 PM.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 7:13 PM

I hope soar doesnt force this change of the black base to that which is shown in this newer picture...

http://blog.chicagoarchitecture.info...ges/#more-4199

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 7:53 PM
BANNED

^^^ That looks like an earlier, google-sketchup style, rendering that SOAR somehow got their hands on. Looks like a massing model without textures applied. If it ends up looking like that, then what a piece of shit...

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 8:01 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicubs111 View Post
oh dear, i read through that link, and i kid you not, this is a direct quote from it:

Quote:
Here’s what SOAR wants:

* The Illinois Street-facing side should be bright, with artwork and light and stuff.

and stuff? has the president of SOAR been replaced by a 12 year old?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 8:09 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

The first rendering with the black base is sharp. The second rendering with the "stuff" as was mentioned in the article, if that's what the "stuff" is, is horrible.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
oh dear, i read through that link, and i kid you not, this is a direct quote from it:

Hey Dan, if you read the actual letter that was written by Gail Spreen of SOAR then you would see that she didn't write "and stuff."

That 12 year old style of writing you see is an attemp of journalism by the author of that goofy blog. This guy always exaggerate things and usually posts inacurrate information. He characterizes SOAR as an NIMBY group which really baffles me. In his post he also mentioned that Optima center was stalled? Maybe he was refering to the original plans for the site years ago when Centrum owned the site? Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if this new rendering isn't something thrown together in google sketch by the author himself.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 8:28 PM
TL;DR

Quote:

I guess this building is okay for a thread even though it doesn't surpass 600'? Cool. Can we get the name of the building right, though?

Anyway, SOAR's exact wording was:
Quote:
The south wall of your project that faces lower Illinois should be brightened, bring light to the sidewalk, and make lower Illinois a safe and attractive street for pedestrians. We ask that you consider ideas such as murals, sculpture, and use of light to brighten up this area.
Nothing about changing the black tint of the glass. SOAR wants Hovey to think about how his design will bring light to Lower Illinois and enrich the pedestrian experience down there. Since St. Clair is an active, pedestrian retail street that shouldn't have huge dark zones along it, this makes sense. Maybe they could rebuild the sidewalk on Upper Illinois with vault lights?

Actually, this is quite an enlightened critique of the building. Every point SOAR raises is totally, completely valid. Hovey can and should switch to a black spandrel glass for the north elevation of the garage levels. (Black anodized aluminum panels would also be sick...)

Last edited by ardecila; Nov 22, 2011 at 9:17 PM.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 8:31 PM
THAT Guy

Quote:

That's not a direct quote, that's the blog owner's characterization of the actual letter (which doesn't use the word "stuff"). I don't even understand his rant; SOAR is one of the more levelheaded neighborhood groups we have. Their complaints are fairly minor in the grand scheme of things and something the developer should consider, not the typical "it's too tall/dense" nonsense we normally hear. Also, I don't get how or why that guy puts watermarks on everything, including renderings and photos that aren't even his...

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Nothing about changing the black tint of the glass. SOAR wants Hovey to think about how his design will bring light to Lower Illinois and enrich the pedestrian experience down there. Since St. Clair is an active, pedestrian retail street that shouldn't have huge dark zones along it, this makes sense. Maybe they could rebuild the sidewalk on Upper Illinois with vault lights?
Looking W on Illinois

The neigbors to the East - clean well lit loading docks.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 2:17 AM
BANNED

Are developers in a race to the bottom? This is horrible.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 6:35 PM
The Hero we deserve

The group said they would start construction immediately so i think its no longer in a proposed state. It says so right here http://blog.chicagoarchitecture.info...ges/#more-4199. Also, this building would look better with a black base.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 6:57 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoisepic View Post
The group said they would start construction immediately so i think its no longer in a proposed state. It says so right here http://blog.chicagoarchitecture.info...ges/#more-4199. Also, this building would look better with a black base.
it doesn't matter what anyone "says", construction only begins when construction actually begins. when caisson rigs show up on site and start drilling, this project will be moved to the construction forum, until then it stays as a proposal.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 8:31 PM

15 months seems like an aggressive schedule. . . if not impossible. . .

http://www.suntimes.com/business/901...old-coast.html
Quote:
For the Chicago building, Hovey is promising “larger than average” one- to three-bedroom units, floor-to-ceiling windows and a fancy rooftop deck with hot tubs. It’s also promising delivery of the first units in about 15 months.
. . .

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 9:11 PM

Quote:

Well I will say that SOAR pretty much this design if pretty boring.

One reason why they were questioning the black glass was because of it affecting the Ronald McDonald House.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2011, 1:48 PM

Optima Center breaks ground in Streeterville
http://www.chicagotribune.com/classi...,2188778.story
Construction is under way on Optima Center Chicago, a 42-story apartment building at the northeast corner of Illinois and St. Clair streets in Chicago's Streeterville neighborhood."

It didin't give the date of breaking ground. It pretty much indicated it gonna happens.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2011, 11:56 PM
dream fast

Not a very convincing rendering. I could do without the black base, it looks dated.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 8:23 AM

Optima Cityfront

Jersey barriers are blocking off lanes at Illinois & St Clair - and I wouldn't think they are relevant to the Ronald House construction - so we may be getting another U/C pretty soon.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
Jersey barriers are blocking off lanes at Illinois & St Clair - and I wouldn't think they are relevant to the Ronald House construction - so we may be getting another U/C pretty soon.
Site prep was well under way by yesterday afternoon. The Stairs from St Clair to upper Illinois blocked off ("for a year or more") and the planters being moved from upper Illinois.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 6:09 PM

What is David Hovey thinking? This design is boring and completely uninspiring!

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 6:23 PM
dream fast

11-29

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive