HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Dec 2, 2007, 7:39 PM

So SMF is spending 1.3 billion to go from 14 gates (current terminal B) to 19 gates???????

Old Posted Dec 2, 2007, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozmoose View Post
So SMF is spending 1.3 billion to go from 14 gates (current terminal B) to 19 gates???????
They're also adding a parking garage, central terminal, new separated arrival and departure roadways, a people mover, and a hotel! That's pretty good for 1.3 billion!!! The importance of this project cannot be understated...every last bit of it! If you think that in 2007 that that is too much money, take a trip down to the local gas station and check out the price of gas...or go see how much the cost of construction is and tell me that these multiple MAJOR projects are not worth 1.3 billion. To me, they totally are!

Old Posted Dec 2, 2007, 9:05 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
You do realize that Sacramento International is the largest economic force in the entire region generating $5 billion annually don't you?

$1.3 billion sounds like a bargain..

Old Posted Dec 2, 2007, 9:30 PM

^I would argue the state government is the largest economic force in the region

Old Posted Dec 2, 2007, 9:57 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon12 View Post
^I would argue the state government is the largest economic force in the region

I wish I could find the article (i thought it was in the business journal but i couldn't find it).. Maybe it was the Bee..

BTW you just like to argue..

Old Posted Dec 3, 2007, 9:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuhickman79 View Post
They're also adding a parking garage, central terminal, new separated arrival and departure roadways, a people mover, and a hotel! That's pretty good for 1.3 billion!!! The importance of this project cannot be understated...every last bit of it! If you think that in 2007 that that is too much money, take a trip down to the local gas station and check out the price of gas...or go see how much the cost of construction is and tell me that these multiple MAJOR projects are not worth 1.3 billion. To me, they totally are!
I think you misunderstood me. Since it cost so much money to build a new terminal and its importance to the region, SMF should ensure that the new terminal be viable for many many years to come. With addition of only 5 more gates, how many years would it take before there is need for another expansion? I think its far more economical to build a new terminal with 30 gates and let the airlines gradually fill it instead of just adding 5 more gates and having to do this process all over when capacity is reached.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2007, 2:40 PM

Quote:
I think you misunderstood me. Since it cost so much money to build a new terminal and its importance to the region, SMF should ensure that the new terminal be viable for many many years to come. With addition of only 5 more gates, how many years would it take before there is need for another expansion? I think its far more economical to build a new terminal with 30 gates and let the airlines gradually fill it instead of just adding 5 more gates and having to do this process all over when capacity is reached.
This is phase I of the expansion. This expansion enables easier expansion of the existing terminal and the new Terminal B.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2007, 4:10 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
NO in fairness you make a good point.

But I think the facility will still be the same size, but instead of beginning with 23 gates they are just putting in 19. It will be able to add four additonal gates by just adding the pedestrian bridges/gates.

Addtionally they are still able to add on to both ends of Terminal A's concourse and the ticketing and baggage claim areas to expand that terminal by 8 more gates.

And as Neuhickman noted this is phase I of the Airport Master Plan, which calls for a third terminal C west of the new central terminal beyond 2020.

The initial expense of this project has more to do with the roadways and new central terminal, which will eventually take over all ticketing and baggage claim functions. If it were only a new concourse, the price tag would be much lower.

Even with a reduction in gates, SMF will be well postioned to add addtional gate capacity quickly.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2008, 11:06 PM
silly slackergeek

Hello all,

Been away for awhile, but am slowly getting through everyone's posts. I read Shallit's prediction for the airport in 2008. I'll give mine here. I'm a little more optimistic than Bob.

I'm basing these on what I've heard from various players at the airport and in the industry. If two of them come true... I'll consider it a success.

Here are Airline; City; confidence percentage; comments.

ExpressJet Fresno 85%
XE gives in to local government requests - service doesn't last a year.

Continental Cleveland 75%
Part of Continental's expansion at CLE. I don't know anyone at Cont. This comes strictly from airport people.

Aeromexico Mexico City 40%
Supposed to be announced 1Q 2008 - confidence would be higher with any airline other than Aeromexico.

JetBlue Boston 55%
JetBlue has little connecting availability at BOS. All traffic must be O & D making this flight difficult to fill daily.

Orlando 30%
High daily pax counts but miserable yields make this a low probability.

Salt Lake City 15%
JetBlue increases presence in SLC.

US Air Charlotte 60%
Surprised at how confident US Air contacts are of this flight. Great connections for US Air here. Much better than Philly.

Philadelphia 10%
US Air won't do both cities, but does want to offer a direct SMF-east coast flight. This is the second choice.

United Honolulu 20%
Part of United's recent deal with Pleasant Holidays. Will use 757 2x/wk. Service to start early Summer.

American Chicago 20%
American returns using MD-83s. I'm dubious to this as American seems to be cutting back it's Chicago/west coast service to secondary markets and are phasing out their MD-80 jet family.

Delta New York 20%
Morning flight using a 738.

Virgin America New York 10% Virgin America makes Sacramento fourth California destination with a morning flight to JFK. 1x/day
San Diego 10% Enters this Southwest monopoly that carries over 2000 pax a day. 4x/day
Seattle 10% Ignites a price war with Alaska Airlines on one of that airline's busiest routes. 2x/day

I give the above Virgin America service a 75% chance for 2009.

Southwest Denver 45%
Part of the Southwest westward expansion out of Den. Confidence would be 80% if SWA had more gates at SMF.

Northwest Detroit
20% Part of the increased service at this Northwest hub.

Thus my big predictions for 2008 are Cleveland, Charlotte and Boston. I don't count Fresno because I don't expect it to last. We'll see. I'd be happy with two out of three.

Total passengers for SMF in 2007 fall just short of 11 mil. Will eclipse 11 mil. in 2008 becoming the third busiest airport in Northern California following SFO and OAK.

There is usually at least one surprise each year. Who could have predicted ExpressJet's SMF operation in 2006? If I were to bank on a surprise, I'd go with Expressjet non-stop to Austin.

Of course, you have to take anyone's prediction with a huge grain of salt. I've been getting told for two years straight (from people who should know) that a new Delta flight to Cincinnati was imminent. Still waiting...

2007 was a great year for SMF. If it can come close to that success in 2008, we're looking at another outstanding year.

Last edited by travis bickle; Jan 2, 2008 at 11:21 PM.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2008, 11:18 PM

hope ur right about the Aeromexico flight. My family and I fly to Mexico City quite often.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2008, 11:25 PM
silly slackergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistola916 View Post
hope ur right about the Aeromexico flight. My family and I fly to Mexico City quite often.
I just wish it were Mexicana...

Old Posted Jan 3, 2008, 12:29 AM
Here we stAy

I wish JetBlue would bring back the SMF-Dulles non-stoppers. I heard that route was doing good when they pulled it too.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2008, 1:11 AM
silly slackergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltsmotorsport View Post
I wish JetBlue would bring back the SMF-Dulles non-stoppers. I heard that route was doing good when they pulled it too.
There is virtually zero chance JetBlue returns to that route. Loads OK: yields marginal (at best). JetBlue even tried $99 fares with limited success. JetBlue determined they could better use the a/c in a different market. One of the few setbacks at SMF since 9/11.

One of the problems for JetBlue is a limited FF program and limited connection possibilities.

United's SMF-IAD flight benefits from United's hub there and a large FF base in the Sacramento area.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2008, 2:44 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Thanks for the rundown travis. Bob Shallit should probably check with you before predicting activity at SMF, since you seem to be on the money with your predictions.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2008, 6:06 PM
It's been tested

Wired magazine has a short article on flight delays in US airports. SMF doesn't make the list.

http://www.wired.com/special_multime.../st_atlas_1601

Miami is the smallest airport on the list with 81,663 departures in 2007. Oakland had 87,949 departures. Offhand, does anyone know how many Sacramento had?

Old Posted Jan 3, 2008, 10:18 PM
silly slackergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by quevinh View Post
Wired magazine has a short article on flight delays in US airports. SMF doesn't make the list.

Miami is the smallest airport on the list with 81,663 departures in 2007. Oakland had 87,949 departures. Offhand, does anyone know how many Sacramento had?
Final figures aren't in yet, but SMF should end 2007 with about 72k departures (about 66k through Nov).

This is for air carrier operations only.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 1:53 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by quevinh View Post

Report: Nearly 20 percent of Sacramento flights delayed in November
By Clint Swett - cswett@sacbee.com
Published 2:58 pm PST Thursday, January 3, 2008

About 20 percent of all flights in and out of Sacramento International Airport were delayed for 15 minutes or longer in November, according to the U.S. Department of Transportation.

In its monthly Air Travel Consumer Report released Thursday, the DOT said that 81.8 percent of flights to Sacramento arrived on time and 82.6 percent departed on schedule. The DOT counts planes arriving or departing within 15 minutes of their schedules as being on time.

The Sacramento numbers compare with a national average of 80.3 percent of ontime arrivals and 82.5 percent for ontime departures.

Sacramento's performance closely mirrored that of Southwest Airlines, the airport's biggest carrier. In November, 81 percent of Southwest's flights departed on time and 84 percent arrived on schedule.

United Airlines, the No. 2 carrier out of Sacramento, arrived as scheduled on 75 percent of its flights. Eighty-seven percent of United Flights departed on schedule during the month.

While Sacramento ranked in the middle of the pack, two New York-area airports had the worst on-time peformance. Flights into La Guardia arrived on schedule only 53 percent of the time, while just 61 percent of flights into Newark arrived on time.

The monthly DOT report also tracks baggage complaints, and Southwest ranked 10th out of 20 carriers nationally. For every 1,000 passengers Southwest carried, the DOT received 4.56 complaints of lost, damaged, delayed or pilfered luggage.

JetBlue Airways had the fewest complaints, with 2.95 reports for every 1,000 passengers.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 5:52 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis bickle View Post
Total passengers for SMF in 2007 fall just short of 11 mil. Will eclipse 11 mil. in 2008 becoming the third busiest airport in Northern California following SFO and OAK.

Actually SMF has already surpassed SJC (San Jose) becoming the third busiest airport in Northern California, according to the U.S. Department of Transportation Bureau of Statistics

For the month ending, September 2007 SMF ranked as the 37th busiest airport (nationally) with 10.56 million people.

SJC (San Jose) was ranked 38 with 10.40 million passengers

http://www.transtats.bts.gov/airport...20Metropolitan

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 3:59 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Southwest cuts south state flights
Last Updated 5:53 am PST Thursday, January 10, 2008
Story appeared in BUSINESS section, Page D3

Southwest Airlines will drop four round-trip flights in May from Sacramento International Airport to Southern California as the Dallas-based discount carrier looks to trim costs.

The cutback will affect service to Burbank Bob Hope Airport, Los Angeles, Ontario and San Diego International airports, officials announced Wednesday. Currently, Southwest books 47 flights to the south state from Sacramento's Terminal A.

"Airlines routinely make adjustments to their schedules. We still have a great assortment of flights," said airport spokeswoman Gina Swankie. "(Schedules) wax and wane depending on a number of factors."

Oakland and San Jose will also lose flights to Southern California. In all, 40 round-trip flights nationwide will be eliminated from Southwest's flight schedule as of May 10.

Southwest will add 49 round-trip flights in what it calls "key growth markets." That will mean more flights in and out of Philadelphia International Airport and Denver, Southwest's fastest-growing market and one of its newest.

"Southwest Airlines is concerned about slowing economic growth, and we want our flight schedule to be built around flights that are in high demand," said Gary Kelly, Southwest Airlines' chief executive officer in a prepared statement.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 5:24 PM

I'm still waiting for a direct Denver-Sacramento flight on Southwest so I have another option besides United or Frontier.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area