HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 17, 2008, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
First post here, but I've read for a while. The summer before my senior year in college (2006) I was a bellman for the Westin downtown. I took up a man's luggage and on the way in the elevator, he was telling me how excited he was about the opening of the W in Dallas(he had participated in the opening). His words to me after that was that San Antonio was going to get one fairly soon. That was about a year and half ago, so I wonder if they backed off, or saw Austin as a better opportunity.

Hey welcome to the forum....Well a lot has happened in San Antonio in the last 1.5 years....The W Hotel and Residences in Austin has not even started construction...but it was a good deal for everybody in that deal, since the Austin City Limits studios was part of the deal.

Now since people want to actually live downtown in San Antonio (they alway did but there just was not any highrises to live in) W Hotel will build a hotel and residences in downtown San Antonio...look at the Grand Hyatt how it almost sold out in its condos...and look at Vidorra and The Broadway which are at 60 to 80 pecent sold out. After all these are built...we will see more projects. Look at the loft projects in the ARTS district near King William....they are almost sold out, even for the ones that are not even built yet.

All Downtown San Antonio needs is more grocery stores...but I just checked google and there are two HEB stores in the Downtown area...what they need downtown in a Whole Foods Market....or maybe one of the HEBs downtown needs to be turned into a HEB plus.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2008, 8:33 PM

Isn't there a hippo grocery market in one of the condos near the courthouse? I agree on there needing to be a grocer like whole foods down there. I think it would be great if there was a Barnes & Noble downtown also, like the one in Ft. Worth.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2008, 9:48 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiphanes View Post
Can you add the following to the under constuction list:

JW Marriott San Antonio Resort and Spa - completion in march 2010 (I believe the main tower is 8 stories and the other 3 towers are up to 6 stories)
Methodist Stone Oak Hospital - completion in march 2009 (132 beds in phase one with up to 350 beds in phase 2) I believe it is at least 5 stories in two towers
Ok, I've added the buildings to Emporis. I'll add them here shortly.

Are there any articles on this project? I need an official source when adding things like the number of floors, construction/completion dates, number of rooms and such. Also I'd need to know where it'll be located exactly. I doubt there's an address yet, but what intersection/street is it at exactly?

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Mar 18, 2008, 3:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Ok, I've added the buildings to Emporis. I'll add them here shortly.

Are there any articles on this project? I need an official source when adding things like the number of floors, construction/completion dates, number of rooms and such. Also I'd need to know where it'll be located exactly. I doubt there's an address yet, but what intersection/street is it at exactly?
Methodist Stone Oak Hospital web site:
http://www.stoneoakhealth.com/
http://www.stoneoakhealth.com/design.php
Address: Methodist Stone Oak Hospital • Toll Free: 800.333.7333 • 1139 E Sonterra Blvd • San Antonio, TX 78258
Telephone: 210.638.2100

JW Marriott San Antonio Resort and Spa web site:
http://www.jwsanantonio.com/
PreOpening phone number and office:
1717 N Loop 1604 E
San Antonio, TX 78232
(210) 403-3434

Old Posted Mar 18, 2008, 3:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Isn't there a hippo grocery market in one of the condos near the courthouse? I agree on there needing to be a grocer like whole foods down there. I think it would be great if there was a Barnes & Noble downtown also, like the one in Ft. Worth.
Yep the hippos is in the area

http://www.hipposgroceryanddeli.com/store.php
226 Dwyer, San Antonio, TX
(210) 226-6500‎

So there is Hippos, and 2 HEBs in the downtown area...all we need is a Whole Foods...and it is done....or a HEB Central Market on Market Street...

Old Posted Mar 18, 2008, 3:56 AM

What is so special about Whole foods? I don’t get the hype.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2008, 4:36 PM
Hmmm....

It's like HEB, but everything is certified organic and the cost is a bit higher.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2008, 6:07 PM
Meh

Quote:
JW Marriott San Antonio Resort and Spa web site:
http://www.jwsanantonio.com/
PreOpening phone number and office:
1717 N Loop 1604 E
San Antonio, TX 78232
(210) 403-3434
Thanks. But the sales office shouldn't be used as the address for the resort. It may be located on the property, but most likely the resort will have a different address. This is what I've noticed with most sales offices at least. Anyway, I've added the JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa (2 buildings) to the 'under construction' list in the first post of this thread. I didn't add the other buildings, because those will most likely not be highrises. The list on the first page only includes highrises (so far). Eventually I'd also like to include lowrises. That's in the works though. Right now I'm actually compiling the list of completed highrises in San Antonio. Once that's done we can also start on the lowrises.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Mar 18, 2008, 8:17 PM

The Tesoro Complex will be called Ridgewood Park

http://sanantonio.bizjournals.com/pa...ewood%20tesoro

Here are some new pictures...

New construction of apartments overlooking Ridgewood Park (Tesoro Headquarters)

All photos were taken by Aiphanes

Old Posted Mar 18, 2008, 11:13 PM

did the city do anything to try and bring tesoro closer to downtown, i really hate that they are building their headquarters so far out, thanks for the shots though

Old Posted Mar 19, 2008, 3:55 PM

Any news on San Lorenzo Piazza?

2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2008, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebestdillweed View Post
did the city do anything to try and bring tesoro closer to downtown, i really hate that they are building their headquarters so far out, thanks for the shots though
I hear you on bringing them downtown...but that would not work...most of the people in San Antonio that will work at the Tesoro site live in the Stone Oak area...or at least in the far north side. You will probably see this part of san antonio grow in office complexes and highrises. Once the toll road gets completed...the 281 corridor from 1604 to bulverde road will be hot! And the 1604 toll road from IH-35 to IH-10 will also be hot. Have you see all the new hotels, offices and medical buildings that they have built in the last 4 years along the small stretch of 1604 from 281 to Stone Oak? Nothing over 8 stories...but when the Tesoro building is complete there will be a 14 story which will add to the SO skyline. Somebody will get some idea and build a Highrise residental tower in Stone Oak...it will happen eventually. Remember stoneoak..at least the inner part is already developed residentally...but there are still a few spaces left for a few highrises. And Stone Oak already has the clubs, bars, resturants, medical, and shopping. They are already doing this on the far northern parts of Dallas, why not in the SO (Stone Oak)?

Just a thought.

Now downtown San Antonio is different...even more drastically different that Austin. Downtown Austin has an awesome downtown redevelopment plan..http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/downtown/

San antonio plan is not as ambitious as Austin, but san antonio is trying to redevelop the River North District...http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...-district.html

Actually san antonio has a lot of districts...according to wikipedia they just need to come up with an all emcompassing plan for all its downtown districts like Austin did. But we all know Austin kinda of forgot about its outer areas, unlike san antonio..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Antonio
Wikipedia quote "Downtown
Because of its status as a historic urban center, the architecture and layout of San Antonio are more traditionally urban than other cities in Texas, such as Dallas and Austin, which have developed in the last half century.

Downtown is encircled by three numerical freeways, Interstates 35 and 37, and U.S. Highway 90/Interstate 10. Together the three highways create a rectangular route around the downtown area of San Antonio: I-35 to the north and west, I-37 to the east, and US-90/I-10 to the south.

Downtown is home to many districts including the Alamo District, Alamodome District, Central Business District, Convention Center District, Historic Civic District, Houston Street District, King William Historic District, La Villita District, Market Square District, North Downtown, North River District, River Bend District, SoSo (South of Southtown), Southtown, and the University District."

Old Posted Mar 19, 2008, 4:47 PM

Any plans for AT&T to build a skyscraper in downtown in the next 5-10 years? I had heard the San Lorenzo was having trouble getting financing, is that true?

Old Posted Mar 19, 2008, 5:21 PM
Endless Moments...

Quote:

Downtown is home to many districts including the Alamo District, Alamodome District, Central Business District, Convention Center District, Historic Civic District, Houston Street District, King William Historic District, La Villita District, Market Square District, North Downtown, North River District, River Bend District, SoSo (South of Southtown), Southtown, and the University District."
Where in the world did you get all those districts from? Cause let me tell ya, that is the first I have heard of half of those...

Old Posted Mar 19, 2008, 8:51 PM

I just went to downtownsanantonio.org and flipped through the River North presentation. Does anyone know if the city council has approved the development plan?

Old Posted Mar 19, 2008, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complex01 View Post
Where in the world did you get all those districts from? Cause let me tell ya, that is the first I have heard of half of those...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Antonio

Scroll down to the downtown section and it will list all the districts. I did not know about all those districts till today either. I wonder if stone oak is also broken up into districts?

The North River District, Convention Center District, River Bend District and the Alamo Dome Districts are the ones getting the most construction and revitalization and planning..

Old Posted Mar 19, 2008, 9:44 PM

Another The Broadway Highrise crane pic.

Well I can not wait till this 20 story highrise goes vertical. I still do not have any pictures of the pit...but it look nice..I will get some by the weekend. They should be added the first level in the next month. Notice that the Broadway is gonna rise like a monolift about these old houses. It is gonna be an awesome highrise.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2008, 9:50 PM

Downtown San Antonio pictures

You can see the Vistana Crane on the right...and the almost finished Grand Hyatt on the left. The SA skyline is not that bad...it just depends on where you are looking at it from. It sucks looking at it comming from IH 35 going south past Ft Sam...but looks awesome comming in from IH-10, IH 37, and US 281. Also there are good city shots from the east side of downtown. That is the only way to get the Vidorra I into the shot.

This shot is looking down US 281 southwards towards Downtown San Antonio.

This shot is more wide...

The last shot...more closer...

Grand Hyatt is the center.

All pictures taken by Aiphanes

Old Posted Mar 19, 2008, 10:01 PM

Another view of Methodist Stone Oak

The view is from the Courtyard Marriot on Sonterra Blvd overlooking US 281 towards the Methodist Stone Oak.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2008, 10:05 PM

I like our skyline, except for that big hole between the Marriott/Grand Hyatt and the tower life building. If we could fill that, then we would have a really nice skyline. I also wish that the towerlife buildings base would be lit up like the upper two parts are.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations