HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 3:58 PM

Great photo of the Morse's sign - it's the first good clear photo I've seen - now all I need to see is a colour photo of it lit up at night!

Lots of great pics in that archive. I don't recall where the CHNS building was - anybody have an address for it? Wondering if it's still there.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
Alvin Comiter was a photo prof at NSCAD
http://alvincomiter.com/gallery/a-no...chive/halifax/
Ah interesting, that would explain it then. Some pretty good images on there....

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Great photo of the Morse's sign - it's the first good clear photo I've seen - now all I need to see is a colour photo of it lit up at night!

Lots of great pics in that archive. I don't recall where the CHNS building was - anybody have an address for it? Wondering if it's still there.
Broadcasting House was on Tobin St, on the south side. I loved the art deco facade of the place although the rest of the building was pretty ordinary. But it's a shame we lost that, I would have thought some sharp architect could have incorporated it into a new structure behind, and it would have been a fine and distinctive name for apartments. They moved to this building in 1940 (some accounts say 1943) and stayed there until relocating to what was then a new building on the corner of Barrington and Morris in the late '80s if memory serves. Later they moved to One Sackville Place. I think this is what's there on Tobin St. now:

https://goo.gl/maps/kHsjmCLXXTzuoa1X7

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Broadcasting House was on Tobin St, on the south side. I loved the art deco facade of the place although the rest of the building was pretty ordinary. But it's a shame we lost that, I would have thought some sharp architect could have incorporated it into a new structure behind, and it would have been a fine and distinctive name for apartments. They moved to this building in 1940 (some accounts say 1943) and stayed there until relocating to what was then a new building on the corner of Barrington and Morris in the late '80s if memory serves. Later they moved to One Sackville Place. I think this is what's there on Tobin St. now:

https://goo.gl/maps/kHsjmCLXXTzuoa1X7
Thanks Keith! That's exactly what I wanted to know! It was the art deco facade that drew me in and I agree it would have been cool to incorporate it into a new structure.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 9:08 PM

Another personal favourite of mine was the old Irving Station on Sackville Street. It was one of the very few early stations remaining in existence and I'll admit to being a little bitter when it was replaced by a nondescript condo building...

http://alvincomiter.com/gallery/a-no...ax-commercial/

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Another personal favourite of mine was the old Irving Station on Sackville Street. It was one of the very few early stations remaining in existence and I'll admit to being a little bitter when it was replaced by a nondescript condo building...
FWIW, and you're probably already aware of this, but there's still at least one of the stations built to that pattern remaining in Grand Pre:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.10313...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 9:30 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx View Post
FWIW, and you're probably already aware of this, but there's still at least one of the stations built to that pattern remaining in Grand Pre:

I wonder if it is (or will be) designated as a historic property. If not, it probably should be........

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx View Post

Yes! I bought gas there in the summer. One of the few full serve stations left too.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2019, 1:35 AM

Quote:
Thanks Keith! That's exactly what I wanted to know! It was the art deco facade that drew me in and I agree it would have been cool to incorporate it into a new structure.
The CHNS building had a wonderful facade and it was a shame to lose such a distinctive structure. I was last in the building in the mid to late-70s, during my radio daze, and it was pretty atmospheric inside. At night, with the building mostly deserted, there were a lot of dark, noirish corners. The ghosts of broadcasters past were very present in that place.

Even more fascinating was the old CHNS transmitter house at the top of Tremont Street in Rockingham. It was built in 1928, and designed to mirror the art deco appearance of the Tobin Street studios. When I was inside it in the 70s the original 1920s era transmitter was still present, though out of service, all massive vacuum tubes, heavy cables and glass insulators. It felt like I was on the set of Frankenstein (1931).

Source: UER

The website Urban Exploration Resource says the transmitter house was closed in the early 2000s and demolished in 2008.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues