HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Yup, I saw that.

Typical behavior that people pay no attention when information is first put out there; then when it comes time to approve and spend money they come out of the woodwork to complain about not understanding...

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 12:35 AM

Austin, TX just received the 27th MLS franchise. Really hope PHX can beat out St. Louis and Sacramento for the 28th spot. If not, there would still be hope:

https://www.prosoccerusa.com/mls/exp...-support-more/

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil View Post
Austin, TX just received the 27th MLS franchise. Really hope PHX can beat out St. Louis and Sacramento for the 28th spot. If not, there would still be hope:

https://www.prosoccerusa.com/mls/exp...-support-more/
pshhh Austin is such an overrated town, Its like a richer Indianapolis

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 1:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
pshhh Austin is such an overrated town, Its like a richer Indianapolis
Lol - I hope St. Louis & SAC say the same about PHX after we get the 28th franchise.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 4:19 AM
Modulator

According to most sports blogs I have read, Phoenix is considered the number 1 spot for securing spot 28.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 4:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
According to most sports blogs I have read, Phoenix is considered the number 1 spot for securing spot 28.
Just curious, what blogs are those? My impression has been that MLS is eager to get St Louis in the fold.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 7:29 PM

I hadn't realised that the arena deal to be voted on today includes funding for a new Suns practice facility. Has anyone seen info or speculation about where that would be located?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
I hadn't realised that the arena deal to be voted on today includes funding for a new Suns practice facility. Has anyone seen info or speculation about where that would be located?
Yeah Suns are on the hook for the new practice facility but it has to be within Phoenix city limits. My guess would be Biltmore/Arcadia or closer to PV or Kierland as most players probably live around those areas.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 1:02 AM

The arena renovation measure was passed by city council by a vote of 6-2. Everyone might not like the deal we got, but I'm at least glad we won't have a vacant building in the middle of a hot market.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stutteringpunk View Post
The arena renovation measure was passed by city council by a vote of 6-2. Everyone might not like the deal we got, but I'm at least glad we won't have a vacant building in the middle of a hot market.
Glad this is over. And now for the city to do something to keep the DBacks in downtown

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 5:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Yeah Suns are on the hook for the new practice facility but it has to be within Phoenix city limits. My guess would be Biltmore/Arcadia or closer to PV or Kierland as most players probably live around those areas.
Suns were already planning to build a separate practice/rehab facility. A lot of teams have been doing this and it becomes an asset of the franchise. Desert Ridge area might work also.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 5:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Suns were already planning to build a separate practice/rehab facility. A lot of teams have been doing this and it becomes an asset of the franchise. Desert Ridge area might work also.
Yeah, the room in the arena where they currently have their practice courts is apparently going to create more room for concourses or what not. I’ve actually have always kinda liked that their practice courts are at the arena. I remember when it was first built that was a really cool feature that the Suns had. I wonder why that didn’t catch on with other new arenas. I think we are the only ones that have that. Seems like it would create an even better home court advantage since the players are their so much.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stutteringpunk View Post
I guess I don’t understand something...

All the previous uproar over this lead to concern that voters would never approve this plan. Then they did the ‘explanation’ and everyone (most everyone) calmed down.

So city council approved - but when do voters weigh in on this?

I read something about using existing taxes - did they find a way to avoid an election?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 4:03 PM

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...-renovate.html

It is done then, Not really a surprising outcome to all the drama. I guess we will be seeing the plans for the practice facility soon, I think it would be cool if they located it in the Warehouse district or something but who knows where it will go.

Quote:
The Phoenix City Council approved a deal Wednesday afternoon to renovate Talking Stick Resort Arena, the home of the Phoenix Suns.

The measure to spend $150 million on updates and renovations to the downtown, city-owned arena passed 6-2. Mayor Thelda Williams and Councilmembers Debra Stark, Laura Pastor, Felicita Mendoza, Vania Guevara and Michael Nowakowski voted in favor of the deal, while Vice Mayor Jim Waring and Councilmember Sal DiCiccio voted against it.

For more than a month, City Manager Ed Zuercher, Community and Economic Development Director Christine Mackay and Suns' CEO Jason Rowley have been trying to sell councilmembers and the general public on the deal.

They argued that the tax revenue, as well as the economic impact generated by having the Suns and Talking Stick Resort Arena in downtown are worth the investment. They also loved to point out that the money being used to pay for the renovations came from a tax on hotel rooms and rental cars, which is almost entirely collected from out-of-state visitors.

The Suns lease the building from the city and the lease goes to 2032. But the National Basketball Association team has an out in its contract that allows it to leave the downtown Phoenix arena in 2022. The team can trigger that clause starting in July.

The City Council was supposed to vote on the proposed deal in December, but after a now-refuted report from the Arizona Republic came out saying Suns owner Robert Sarver had threatened to move the team to Las Vegas or Seattle if the measure didn’t pass, the City Council delayed the vote until Jan. 23.

Along with Phoenix’s $150 million, the Suns are putting in $80 million, plus any overrun costs. The team is also being required to build a practice facility within Phoenix city limits that could cost up to $50 million. The city is not helping the team front any of those costs.

The renovations will be conducted over the next three summers. This summer will not see major renovations to the arena, Rowley told the Phoenix Business Journal. Instead, the team will start building the practice facility. Most arena construction will happen during the summers of 2020 and 2021. During construction, the Phoenix Mercury and the Arizona Rattlers will have to find another facility in which to play.

During the weeks leading up to the vote, members and organizations of the Valley's business community have come out in strong support for the arena renovation deal. Organizations like the Greater Phoenix Chamber of Commerce, Arizona Chamber of Commerce & Industry, Valley Partnership, Downtown Phoenix Inc. and Arizona Technology Council, came out in support of the arena renovations.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 4:10 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymox View Post
I guess I don’t understand something...

All the previous uproar over this lead to concern that voters would never approve this plan. Then they did the ‘explanation’ and everyone (most everyone) calmed down.

So city council approved - but when do voters weigh in on this?

I read something about using existing taxes - did they find a way to avoid an election?
There is an existing revenue stream from a tourism tax. No election required. Voters might play a role in two ways:

1) There is noise about collecting petition signatures to force a vote on this. If so, it might be on the ballot as the same time as the initiative to stop light rail expansion and DiCiccio's other initiative related to city finances:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/opin...um/2665253002/

2) Voters who have strong feelings about this arrangement might decide to make it a factor when council members are up for re-election. It might even be an issue in the Nowakowski recall vote.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPHXskyscraperfan View Post
Yeah, the room in the arena where they currently have their practice courts is apparently going to create more room for concourses or what not. I’ve actually have always kinda liked that their practice courts are at the arena. I remember when it was first built that was a really cool feature that the Suns had. I wonder why that didn’t catch on with other new arenas. I think we are the only ones that have that. Seems like it would create an even better home court advantage since the players are their so much.
Suns are not the only ones that have done this. The trend now is to build the facility away from the arena and most teams do some type of health-care related sponsorship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...-renovate.html

It is done then, Not really a surprising outcome to all the drama. I guess we will be seeing the plans for the practice facility soon, I think it would be cool if they located it in the Warehouse district or something but who knows where it will go.
Yeah I’m getting the impression this may get built pretty fast or at least over the summer. So does this mean they have already have a site picked out or some land Sarver already owns?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 6:42 PM
Modulator

Group looks to derail Suns arena renovations with petition push

And here we go. I guess we all knew this was inevitable...

Only partial article as found on roselawgroupreporter.com. So, if anyone can post the full BZJ article, that would be great.

Quote:
By Brandon Brown | Phoenix Business Journal

Even though the Phoenix City Council has approved the $230 million deal to renovate Talking Stick Resort Arena, some area residents want that decision to be made by voters.

A group called Common Sense Phoenix filed paperwork with the city of Phoenix late last week for two potential ballot measures related to the deal. Phoenix-based Petition Partners was hired to collect at least 27,400 signatures in less than a month. Petition Partners did not return calls to the Phoenix Business Journal, but its owner, Drew Chavez tweeted over the weekend that it had collected around 3,250 signatures.
Source:https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...ions-with.html

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 6:51 PM

Quote:

Only partial article as found on roselawgroupreporter.com. So, if anyone can post the full BZJ article, that would be great.

Even though the Phoenix City Council has approved the $230 million deal to renovate Talking Stick Resort Arena, some area residents want that decision to be made by voters.

A group called Common Sense Phoenix filed paperwork with the city of Phoenix late last week for two potential ballot measures related to the deal. Phoenix-based Petition Partners was hired to collect at least 27,400 signatures in less than a month. Petition Partners did not return calls to the Phoenix Business Journal, but its owner, Drew Chavez tweeted over the weekend that it had collected around 3,250 signatures.

Chavez's tweet:

Day 2: Almost 2k on each of #Phoenix @Suns referendums today. 3250ish total to date on each.

Tim La Sota, a Phoenix attorney, is representing Common Sense Phoenix. He told the Sports Business Journal that if the measures get enough signatures, they would appear on the November 2020 ballot, if the Council doesn’t call for a special election sooner.

Renovations on the arena are supposed to take place during three summers in 2019, 2020 and 2021. If these petitions get enough votes and are upheld, this will delay construction and could ultimately block the deal.

Under the deal passed Jan. 23, Phoenix agreed to pay $150 million to renovate the city-owned Talking Stick Resort Arena, while the Suns pitch in $80 million, plus all overrun costs. The deal was designed not to be voted on since it is funded through an existing tax and did not make any tax changes.

“The action of the council was an administrative, non-referable act, and the courts will ultimately decide,” said Jordan Rose, a Scottsdale attorney who represents the Suns.

Rose said there is little known about Common Sense Arizona. The group is not affiliated with Common Sense Media, a nonprofit organization that recently started working in Arizona.

“This petition company is not inexpensive to gather that many signatures – someone will be spending hundreds of thousands of dollars – so this is absolutely not some grassroots effort,” Rose said. “While the huge money interest behind this clearly wants to remain secretive and under the cover of darkness, we will be able to find out their true identities in court.”

Rose said that the Suns do not plan to file a lawsuit to stop the measure but said the issue will bear further scrutiny if the initiatives raise enough signatures to be submitted.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 6:51 PM

Quote:

Not to go all 18th-century on this, but these are the times that I really hate direct democracy. I'm not totally convinced that the initiative/referendum trend of the early 20th century was a mistake, but I wonder sometimes if it was.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 8:50 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Not to go all 18th-century on this, but these are the times that I really hate direct democracy. I'm not totally convinced that the initiative/referendum trend of the early 20th century was a mistake, but I wonder sometimes if it was.
Apparently, the city council is exploring the possibility that the TSRA deal might be considered an administrative manner and therefore not subject to the vicissitudes of direct democracy:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/opin...um/2703720002/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest