HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 2:01 AM

In reference to where the whereabouts of the Hampton Inn will be located, I posted a pic of what is now, a parking lot on Royal at Conti, across from the back of the Riverview Plaza.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 4:44 AM

Mardi Gras park rendering

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 6:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSky View Post
I did see that. I couldn't make out the street names on the architect's site. Does anyone know where this new courthouse will be?
Here is a map showing the boundaries of the proposed federal courthouse. The front of the building would face St. Joseph Street and would be across St. Louis from the existing federal courthouse. It will cause a break in North Conception Street which I find a bit troubling since it is a major thru street leading to the DeTonti Square area.

Also, I'm concerned about a historic building that sits at the southwest corner of N. Conception and St. Anthony and was once used for law offices. I'm hoping that the plans will allow for the courthouse facilities to be built around that building since, from what I remember of the site plan, that area would be a parking structure.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 1:30 PM

From the register
Wonder how many people show and what kinds of things will be discussed?

Meeting set on downtown concerns
Wednesday, February 07, 2007
Staff Report
Mobile City Councilman William Carroll will host a meeting at 6:30 tonight for downtown residents and businesses. The meeting will be held at the Downtown Mobile Alliance, 261 Dauphin St.

The meeting is meant for interested people to talk with Carroll and city employees about downtown problems. Call 208-7441 for more information.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 11:01 PM

Would it be possible for somebody to post a picture of the federal courthouse? Whenever I click on the link above, it says I need to download something even though I already did.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicisright View Post
Would it be possible for somebody to post a picture of the federal courthouse? Whenever I click on the link above, it says I need to download something even though I already did.
Here is the rendering found on the link:

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 3:33 AM

That actually makes me mad that the current plans cut a street and destroys a historic building. Why cant they build the building up?

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 7:57 PM

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the street closing either (ala Government Plaza). That is one of the first things that I noticed (and despised) when I initially saw these renderings several years ago. I'm sure that recent design standards imposed post 911 are partially responsible.

All said, I do like the modern architecture!! Very bold!! I am a fan of the modern architecture of the Government Plaza, even though most Mobilians hate it. I really do belive that you have to have a good (and respectful) mix of both the old and new. Some places just do it better than others!!!

My desire is for Mobile to be one of the places that does it better!!!!!

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 7:59 PM
God help us

re: the new Hampton.....as good as it is that Hampton will be constructing downtown, I really, really wish that a mid-market hotel chain would come in and buy Van Antwerp for a conversion. It's in the perfect spot at Dauphin and Royal, and, to my knowledge, there is extremely minimal office space being leased there. Years ago there had been talk of it going condo, but I guess that died for one reason or another. Maybe another chain will see the (hopeful) success of the new Hampton and take advantage of the Van Antwerp in the near future.

"You cannot help men by doing for them when they could and should, do for themselves" - Abraham Lincoln

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 8:24 PM
<- My idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaGrad04 View Post
re: the new Hampton.....as good as it is that Hampton will be constructing downtown, I really, really wish that a mid-market hotel chain would come in and buy Van Antwerp for a conversion. It's in the perfect spot at Dauphin and Royal, and, to my knowledge, there is extremely minimal office space being leased there. Years ago there had been talk of it going condo, but I guess that died for one reason or another. Maybe another chain will see the (hopeful) success of the new Hampton and take advantage of the Van Antwerp in the near future.
I have always wished for that as well. I do think the building is about 75% occupied, though. Hey - Maybe a W will put a hotel in there!

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 8:49 PM
God help us

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkp View Post
I have always wished for that as well. I do think the building is about 75% occupied, though. Hey - Maybe a W will put a hotel in there!

You may be right, I've just never been able to find a list of companies, or even a leasing agent for the building. Yeah, I'll take a W!

"You cannot help men by doing for them when they could and should, do for themselves" - Abraham Lincoln

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 11:07 PM

I agree with the Van Antwerp being converted to either a boutique hotel or condos as well. Several years back, I recall seeing that the building was going to being converted to condos and then dead silence. Who owns the building? Also, I heard that an issue was the low ceiling heights. Is this true? It would make a wonderful address!!! Great views!!!

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 11:52 PM

Thanks, Verve. I like it.

In other developments:

(From wpmi.com) "Northrop Grumman Corp. and its European partner EADS Co. said Thursday they will stay in the running for a massive Air Force contract to build a new line of refueling tankers - work the companies would base in Mobile, Ala.

The initial contract for 179 planes is worth an estimated $40 billion, the Air Force says. But the winning bidder could have a leg up on more than $100 billion in work as the Air Force gradually replaces a 530-plane fleet.

Boeing would build the planes - based on its familiar 767 - in Washington state. The Northrop/EADS team would offer a modified version of the Airbus A330 plane, to be built in Mobile's Brookley Field Industrial Complex.

The job could bring more than 1,000 jobs to the area."

Here's the link.

Also from wpmi.com: "Interwoven with North Mobile County's small communities is a lot of big business. Now we know there's a new face checking out the neighborhood.

ThyssenKrupp needs about 3-thousand acres to build a three billion dollar steel plant. And it's narrowed its search to Louisiana and Alabama. "It would change the whole face of the economy in Mobile County," says Mobile County Commissioner Steve Nodine.

The plant wouldn't be operational until 2010, but if the company chooses our area, Nodine says the impact would be felt a lot sooner. "Thirty-thousand construction jobs to build the plant." Along with 2,700 jobs once the plant is fully operational. "Permanent jobs. High paying jobs. High tech jobs," says Nodine."

Here's the link.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2007, 8:57 AM

Not directly related to d-town but is a major in-direct factor due to its economic importance:

Has anyone got any leads or rumors to where in Mobile county the Thyssen Krupp site would be? It is offically secret, but someone has to know. The news said 30k construction jobs (would ? that) and up to 3k full time jobs.

And has anyone noticed that European industry seems to absolutely love Alabama, and especially Mobile? If we have an economic development office somewhere in the EU, the person running the show deserves a better job than working with the government.

Also, any comments on what you would like the governor to spend the $3.6-4.7 billion on if Exxon's appeals fail? IMO, the state (cities too) have long enough shunned downtowns, I think its time to reinvest into such urban districts.

Last edited by austin356; Feb 9, 2007 at 9:05 AM.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2007, 6:23 PM
surely you're not serious

Being from Mobile and currently living in Baton Rouge (the two areas being considered) I would say there is an equal chance of both happening. Mobile's closer to the open waters of the Gulf while Baton Rouge has got one of the largest rivers in the world flowing through it. I think it will come down to incentives (as mentioned in the article, Louisiana has more GO Zone money), and infrastructure (Mobile has a major north-south interstate... a big plus, plus the new container port opening before scheduled opening for the steel plant).

All that being said, I will venture an unbiased guess of Mobile. But don't think Louisiana will be going down quietly. I will keep all of y'all posted on any happenings over here in Baton Rouge.

Last edited by SouthSky; Feb 9, 2007 at 6:30 PM. Reason: grammar

Old Posted Feb 11, 2007, 4:13 AM

It was really cool tonight, at the parade, because the RSA Tower had green lights going down the main body of the building, and the first level of the spire finally has lighting, no cool colors though. They[ve also removed alot of scaffolding from the upper part the spire.

With that said, I took a few pics during the day today, not good ones at all, but they're recent, so hey, why not?

I love the graffiti collecting on the CSX Building

From last weekend:

Old Posted Feb 11, 2007, 4:42 AM

I can't believe they haven't finished the crown on the RSA tower yet!

Old Posted Feb 11, 2007, 5:34 AM
Closed account

Question

Exactly. What's the hold up ?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2007, 6:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
Exactly. What's the hold up ?
Weather.

That's my only guess.

It did look like the North side had the most scaffolding removed of any side, I couldn't get a shot of it, though.

Here are my pics from today/tonight (large files)

Last edited by Scottybo; Feb 11, 2007 at 8:02 AM.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2007, 6:00 AM

Nice pictures.... yeah I noticed that the crown was making some good progress too this past week.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast