HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Jan 30, 2024, 7:18 PM

From The Hollywood Reporter:

Train Wreck? A Mogul’s Battle Against The Bel-Air Subway

Fred Rosen — the 80-year-old ex-CEO who turned Ticketmaster into a much-hated powerhouse — leads a group of ultra-rich Bel Air residents in a costly battle to halt a proposed metro line: "They don’t understand who they’re dealing with. OK?"

BY GARY BAUM
JANUARY 29, 2024

Fred Rosen doesn’t mind if people consider him a villain. He made that clear during his fortune-making run at Ticketmaster, which he turned into a polarizing behemoth. “I was running ‘the evil empire’? I was running a business. You know who liked me? My clients. Did I love being called an asshole? Not particularly. Could I live with it? Sure.” He adds, “You can’t build a business without pissing somebody off.”

The same attitude prevails in his current venture: attempting to kill a proposed subway through his Bel-Air neighborhood. “You have to come to grips with the fact that not everyone’s going to like you,” he says.

Rosen, an 80-year-old grandfather, is aware of his pugnacious intensity. “Guys like me make coffee nervous,” he jokes during lunch in a booth at his “commissary,” the Hotel Bel-Air’s restaurant. (Rosen did stand-up in the Catskills as a teenager.) Now his ire is directed at L.A. County’s transit authority, known as Metro, which he derides as “moribund, brain-dead, inept.”

The agency has developed six route plans for what it has dubbed the Sepulveda Transit Corridor. It’s a north-south rail system estimated to cost in the untold billions and set to open in a decade or two. Boosters hope it will get underway in the next couple of years. The goal is to alleviate traffic by connecting the San Fernando Valley’s G Line bus route with the Westside’s now-expanding D Line subway and its completed E Line light-rail system.

Half of these proposals call for a monorail along the 405 Freeway. The rest would require tunneling beneath one of the city’s wealthiest enclaves. Residents worry the colossal project will yield noise issues and disrupt traffic during construction, then emit vibrations during operation — all of which Metro dismisses. (There wouldn’t be a transit station in Bel-Air itself.) To stop a subway, or at least significantly stall it, making it less desirable to decision-makers, Rosen is spearheading a threatened lawsuit through a community group, Keep Bel-Air Beautiful.

Many of his neighbors back him. “Fred — who I now call ‘Fearless Fred’ — is leading this battle for us,” explains studio chief turned philanthropist Sherry Lansing. “It’s an important one.” Adds financier and Hello Sunshine founder Seth Rodsky: “He’s got the support of the community, which he cares passionately about. It’s good to have Fred on our side.”

Rosen’s revolt pits a powerful coterie of Angelenos (who grant they’re unlikely to commute on the proposed transit system) against an array of politicians, bureaucrats and activists who aren’t blanching, at least for now, at the legal threat. “Large projects end up facing litigation,” says L.A. City Councilmember Nithya Raman, the former Time’s Up Entertainment executive director and urban planner whose district includes parts of the Sepulveda Pass and surrounding areas. She supports a subway. “This corridor sees some of the highest volumes of travel in the entire country, so it has the potential to be one of the most transformative transportation projects in the history of the city. If we focus on getting this right, on the speed and the reliability of the service and the ease of the [station] connections — and not what caters to the needs of people who don’t use the project — we can bring a lot of people onto this new route.”

Metro declined to speak about Keep Bel-Air Beautiful’s possible litigation. Its deputy CEO, Sharon Gookin, tells The Hollywood Reporter: “We’re guided by relieving the needs of the community. Those are the most important considerations.”

The agency has, in fact, until now done its best to largely ignore Rosen, treating him as a nuisance to be managed. This has infuriated him since he views himself not as a gadfly but as a slayer — perhaps as a redeemer, too. “They don’t understand who they’re dealing with. OK?” While some key stakeholders see compromise as inevitable, he doesn’t. “This won’t happen. Would you walk into a wall knowingly?”

This isn’t Rosen’s first go-around as defender of Bel-Air. He garnered credibility — and emerged as a cantankerous local folk hero — a decade ago for attempting to neutralize the slew of residential developers who were building increasingly mega-sized spec houses in the enclave, most notably Mohamed Hadid, better known these days as father to supermodels Bella and Gigi. Rosen’s efforts led to much stricter rules around construction. Used to getting his way, he detests the acronym NIMBY, viewing it as a bad-faith characterization meant to undermine legitimate local advocacy. “If you stand up for your community, you’re a NIMBY,” he says. “If you let them run over you, you’re a citizen.”

Rosen has taken up neighborhood activism amid late-life business capers. In recent years, he unsuccessfully challenged his old firm Ticketmaster with a top role at upstart competitor Outbox — which was later absorbed by AEG — and launched, with his golfing buddy and longtime Warner Bros. distribution executive Dan Fellman, a failed premium first-run film rental business catering to the rich. (Rosen says the final nail in Red Carpet Home Cinema’s coffin was the pandemic: “You can’t have a project for movies when you don’t have any.”) These days, he sits on boards and occasionally makes bids on companies. “Norman Lear was a friend,” he says. “He and I would laugh because it was always about ‘next.’ You don’t sit in your rocking chair.”

[...]

Read the whole article here: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/bu...ay-1235807662/

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jan 30, 2024, 7:27 PM
Show me the blueprints

What a miserable son of a bitch.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jan 30, 2024, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
From The Hollywood Reporter:

Train Wreck? A Mogul’s Battle Against The Bel-Air Subway

Fred Rosen — the 80-year-old ex-CEO who turned Ticketmaster into a much-hated powerhouse — leads a group of ultra-rich Bel Air residents in a costly battle to halt a proposed metro line: "They don’t understand who they’re dealing with. OK?"
What a shitty, selfish man. These rich assholes in Bel Air really are a menace and a barrier to a better Los Angeles. They come off as so small time and fearful when they complain about tunneling under the mountains. As if NYC and countless other world cities don't have rapid transit lines under their premier, wealthy areas It really underscores the anti-urban mindset that wealthy Angelenos have compared to their peers in cities around the world. I wish these people would just move out to Montecito or Orange County or something, and let LA progress without them.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2024, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
What a miserable son of a bitch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
What a shitty, selfish man.
Oh TOTALLY. A big asshole.

But hey, he's 80, so maybe he'll start pushing up those daisies before we know it.

Oh my, did I say that?

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jan 30, 2024, 11:31 PM
Show me the blueprints

That's okay. I'm eight years into on a daily basis hoping a certain high profile game show host drops dead of a heart attack – or literally anything.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jan 31, 2024, 4:09 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
What a shitty, selfish man. These rich assholes in Bel Air really are a menace and a barrier to a better Los Angeles. They come off as so small time and fearful when they complain about tunneling under the mountains. As if NYC and countless other world cities don't have rapid transit lines under their premier, wealthy areas It really underscores the anti-urban mindset that wealthy Angelenos have compared to their peers in cities around the world. I wish these people would just move out to Montecito or Orange County or something, and let LA progress without them.
The fact that monorail is still a modal option is itself a problem. I also don't understand how monorail is preferable if one's interested in "keeping Bel Air beautiful" when all the options have an aerial portion running through Sherman Oaks and Bel Air.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Jan 31, 2024, 6:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
The fact that monorail is still a modal option is itself a problem. I also don't understand how monorail is preferable if one's interested in "keeping Bel Air beautiful" when all the options have an aerial portion running through Sherman Oaks and Bel Air.
No monorail option have aerial options that run through Bel Air. Keeping monorail as an option being studied in the EIR actually makes it easier to win a lawsuit when Fred Rosen inevitably sues. Many successful CEQA lawsuits delay a project by alleging that the project did not study all reasonable alternatives. Even in the Beverly Hills lawsuit, Metro was ordered by the court to prepare a supplemental environmental analysis (https://thesource.metro.net/2017/12/...econd-segment/). When Metro selects heavy rail and he sues, he will have less standing to claim that Metro did not study other alternatives, when Metro actually did study alternatives that Fred Rosen has publicly proclaimed he is in favor of.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2024, 7:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by numble View Post
When Metro selects heavy rail and he sues, he will have less standing to claim that Metro did not study other alternatives, when Metro actually did study alternatives that Fred Rosen has publicly proclaimed he is in favor of.
"Standing" is a threshold issue in law. One either has it or not. He will have standing to make his claims, but they will be less meritorious.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2024, 9:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
"Standing" is a threshold issue in law. One either has it or not. He will have standing to make his claims, but they will be less meritorious.
I’m not using it in the legal sense, but the colloquial sense.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2024, 6:08 PM

Here's an idea: Since the subway under the hill is such a burden to Fred Rosen and his Bel Air neighbors, just build another 10-lane freeway over the hill. Since the hill is so steep, the freeway will have to include some gnarly switchbacks, which means more Bel Air mansions will need to bite the dust via eminent domain. But at least the residents of Bel Air won't have to worry about a subway tunnel hundreds of feet below the surface intruding on their daily lives.

While we're at it, run a 10-lane freeway along Mulholland Drive to improve east-west access. If I recall correctly, there was a plan to do that very thing decades ago before the influential residents in the hills managed to get it cancelled. I guess what's good for East LA isn't necessarily good for Bel Air.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2024, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by numble View Post
I’m not using it in the legal sense, but the colloquial sense.
Maybe “basis”? I followed the responses since then but I did initially assume a legal perspective as he will almost certainly sue.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2024, 1:28 AM

This really sucks, but is anyone surprised?

Completion of LAX's People Mover project likely to be delayed until next year, report says

"The long-anticipated Automated People Mover planned to ease transport around Los Angeles International Airport may not debut until next year, according to a new report. The report, which comes from credit ratings agency Fitch Ratings, has downgraded the bond rating for the project to "negative" as construction appears to be taking longer than first expected. The project was initially planned for completion at some point in 2024.

According to the report, the unplanned postponement boils down to increasing delays in construction and a "strained relationship" between airport officials and the company that they chose to operate APM.

"Although the project is around 96% complete, the Negative Outlook reflects the likelihood that any unresolved construction issues, further deterioration of the relationship between the two parties, or further disputes during the testing and commissioning phase could result in additional material completion risk concerns," the Fitch Ratings report read.

Now, the debut may be pushed back to April 2025."

full article: https://www.cbsnews.com/losangeles/n...r-report-says/

Old Posted Feb 3, 2024, 1:05 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

When is this fucking shit show going to end? From their planned 15-minute headways for the B Line once the D Line extension opens (so the D-Line can operate at 5-minute headways and stay close to the 4-minute headways that they pledged to the FTA, because they don't have enough rolling stock due to the need to find a new supplier), to wasting billions of dollars on the "Gateway Line" (formerly WSAB) and ESFV streetcar, to wasting time and money on Vermont BRT when the plan is to convert it to rail, to the bungling of the K Line's Centinela grade-separation, etc.

What. The. Fuck. The system is broken.

Quote:
Metro Releases New Lower 710 Freeway Proposal; Agency Still Plans to Widen 710, Doesn’t Rule Out Residential Demolitions

By Joe Linton
February 2, 2024

Remember when community pressure killed Metro and Caltrans' planned $6+ billion widening of the lower 710 Freeway? That was less than two years ago. Metro and Caltrans canceled their plans to demolish hundreds of homes, apartment buildings, and businesses in Black and Latino neighborhoods. At the time, Metro proclaimed it had turned over a new leaf, and was now centering equity and supporting multimodal transportation, and that Metro home demolitions for freeway expansion were a thing of the past.

This week, Metro is back with a new proposal to widen the lower 710 Freeway. But wait, there's some lipstick on this pig! In truth, it's not as bad as the mega-widening that Metro was hell-bent on a couple years ago, but there's still harmful freeway widening.

Metro already had sales tax funding - over a half-billion dollars - set aside for the 710 Freeway. To determine how to spend that money, Metro convened a stakeholder task force to come up with a "multimodal corridor investment plan." In early committee meetings, Metro staff pledged that there would be no freeway widening, no demolitions.

This week Metro released its proposed 710 corridor plan. The widening is back, and demolitions maybe, too.

https://la.streetsblog.org/2024/02/0...al-demolitions

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Feb 6, 2024, 10:33 PM

From International Railway Journal:

Hyundai Rotem wins $US 664m order for LA Metro trains
Korean manufacturer will deliver 182 cars to Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transit Authority in time for the 2028 LA Olympics.

February 6, 2024
Written by Mark Simmons, Andy Tebay

HYUNDAI Rotem has beaten rival Stadler to win an order from Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transit Authority (LACMTA) to supply 182 HR5000 cars for the LA Metro.

The contract value is around $US 663.7m and includes provision for a follow-on order for 50 cars vehicles at an additional and as yet unspecified cost.

HR will deliver two-car trains, each with a capacity of 245 passengers, designed to enable up to three trains to run in multiple. They will operate on LA Metro’s B (Red) Line, which runs for 26.4km between downtown LA and northern Hollywood, and the D (Purple) Line, which runs between downtown LA and Koreatown (10.3km).

Hyundai Rotem has committed to delivering the new trains ahead of the Los Angeles 2028 Olympics and Paralympics, when passenger numbers are expected to soar.

“Based on the experience and capabilities we have accumulated while carrying out numerous local projects in the United States, we will do our best to deliver electric trains that will satisfy both local citizens and tourists,” says a spokesperson for Hyundai Rotem.

[...]

Rest of the article: https://www.railjournal.com/passenge...-metro-trains/

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Feb 6, 2024, 10:59 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

^ Non-distorted rendering provided by Hyundai Rotem:

https://www.railwayage.com/passenger...a-metro-order/

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Feb 6, 2024, 11:01 PM
Show me the blueprints

railway age

Boring as hell, but not terrible. I'd say it edges out the look of the CRRC's, at least the bonnet as everything else looks identical. I like the vertical LED headlights.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2024, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Thanks for posting a non-distorted rendering. I THOUGHT the proportions looked weird in the other one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Boring as hell, but not terrible. I'd say it edges out the look of the CRRC's, at least the bonnet as everything else looks identical. I like the vertical LED headlights.
I think it looks fine. If it's reliable and kept clean, then that's all I need. Once the D Line extensions open, I'm very sure I'll be riding it often.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Feb 6, 2024, 11:32 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
I think it looks fine. If it's reliable and kept clean, then that's all I need. Once the D Line extensions open, I'm very sure I'll be riding it often.
The key word here is "reliable." Due to vehicle shortage because of the pivot to Hyundai Rotem, the FAA will allow Metro to temporarily run D Line trains at 5 minute headways — relegating the B Line to 10 minutes. Per the FFGA, Metro is obligated to operate 4-minute headways on the D Line. But even that is unremarkable by world standards. For example, the London Underground has, or is the process of, upgrading infrastructure to support 27-36 trains per hour.

The most important thing though is for this damn thing to open ASAP. Hopefully that will restart the conversation about extending the line to Santa Monica. Perhaps they could use the single-bore tunnel approach that Bechtel is proposing for the Sepulveda corridor to bring down the cost.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Feb 7, 2024, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by International Railway Journal
HR will deliver two-car trains, each with a capacity of 245 passengers, designed to enable up to three trains to run in multiple.
I find this wording confusing. Does it mean Metro can potentially run consists of three two-car trains? If so, that means as many as 1,470 passengers could be aboard a single train. Not bad!

Quote:

https://www.railwayage.com/passenger...a-metro-order/
Thanks. It's likeable enough--clean and modern. I actually know guys who love our current metro train cars (they all seem to live elsewhere, haha), but I prefer something more modern. I do like the look of the new CRCC cars, but I understand why we won't be ordering more of them.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2024, 1:05 AM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
I actually know guys who love our current metro train cars (they all seem to live elsewhere, haha), but I prefer something more modern. I do like the look of the new CRCC cars, but I understand why we won't be ordering more of them.

I'm one of those guys. I think the Breda A650 looks fantastic. They share many of the styling characteristics of rolling stock design from let's say the late 1960s-1990s (think NYCTA R-42/44/46, MTA M commuter cars, WMATA Metrorail etc). Very clean, very simple... the things the best design usually are. I think they are timeless really. The heavy black gasketed pop in windows are probably one of the weakest part of them. But honestly we're talking about pretty nitpicky industrial design aesthetics here where the vast vast majority of people either don't know the difference or are totally apathetic.

And yes, not an LA resident.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation