HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Feb 7, 2024, 1:12 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
I find this wording confusing. Does it mean Metro can potentially run consists of three two-car trains? If so, that means as many as 1,470 passengers could be aboard a single train. Not bad!
The CRRC cars' capacity is 246, so they probably rounded it down.

Even so, these cars (75' x 10') could have a capacity closer to 300. A NYC Subway B Division car is 60.5' long and 9.88' wide, and can fit 240 passengers. The difference is that LA's cars won't have handle bars along the center of the ceiling. These are common among rolling stock in heavily used rapid transit systems. Or it could be because of fewer handles along the benches. Whichever the case, these cars could theoretically accommodate even more riders.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Feb 7, 2024, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post

I'm one of those guys. I think the Breda A650 looks fantastic. They share many of the styling characteristics of rolling stock design from let's say the late 1960s-1990s (think NYCTA R-42/44/46, MTA M commuter cars, WMATA Metrorail etc). Very clean, very simple... the things the best design usually are. I think they are timeless really. The heavy black gasketed pop in windows are probably one of the weakest part of them. But honestly we're talking about pretty nitpicky industrial design aesthetics here where the vast vast majority of people either don't know the difference or are totally apathetic.

And yes, not an LA resident.
I was thinking of a couple former forumers who now work for BART and Muni Metro, respectively. But yeah--you out-of-towners and your love for LA's old, rundown metro cars, haha. Honestly, the worst thing about them is how dim they are inside. It's depressing and feels almost dystopian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
The CRRC cars' capacity is 246, so they probably rounded it down.

Even so, these cars (75' x 10') could have a capacity closer to 300. A NYC Subway B Division car is 60.5' long and 9.88' wide, and can fit 240 passengers. The difference is that LA's cars won't have handle bars along the center of the ceiling. These are common among rolling stock in heavily used rapid transit systems. Or it could be because of fewer handles along the benches. Whichever the case, these cars could theoretically accommodate even more riders.
Solid. That's good carrying capacity.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2024, 2:34 AM
你的媽媽

Since we're asking for non-LA resident opinions... I'll go ahead and chime in!

I actually prefer the look of the newer CRRC and Hyundai Rotem trains, with a slight preference towards the Hyundai design. Overall, they just look a lot more modern and colorful. I'm not a big fan of the bright yellow on the livery (prefer the gold on the old Nippon Sharyos), but I can appreciate that they made an attempt to spruce up the design with color accents, and share some cohesiveness with the Kinki Sharyos.

Speaking purely in terms of aesthetics, this might be an unpopular opinion, but I'm not really a fan of the generic stainless steel tin can look, like the Breda A650 and the older R4x series NYC subway trains (sorry Busy Bee) and the Chicago L, and so on, although I can understand how some might see them as timeless. I do like the fronts of the new R211s though, but I would like to see more splashes of color on the sides of the trains too, like BART. I guess it's because I grew up with BART and its outside the box design on the legacy trains, but generally I prefer more unique designs and memorable liveries.

That being said, I think LA residents will enjoy the newer trains much more. Although I will always have a place in my heart for the BART legacy trains and its sounds, the FotF trains are just way nicer, brighter, cleaner, and more modern. It's the same with Muni Metro and their new Siemens S200s. They're just a lot nicer than the old Breda SF LRVs and the Boeing Vertol US SLRVs, although I do miss the "Sunset" inspired white, California Poppy, and Sunset Gold livery on the old Boeings. And I'm sure LA folks will feel the same way once they start riding the CRRCs/Hyundais. Maybe they can refurbish a handful of trains and run them on special occasions.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2024, 3:03 AM
Show me the blueprints

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Feb 7, 2024, 3:05 AM

Gold Line Construction to Pomona on Track to be Complete by Early January 2025

Work is being finished on the stations, power and control systems, crossings, and parking areas

Installation of diamond-shaped shingles atop San Dimas station boarding canopy

Chris Greenspon
Streetsblog LA
February 6, 2024

The 9.1 mile Foothill Gold Line Extension is 81 percent complete and receiving its final touches this year. After its four stations are done (Glendora, San Dimas, La Verne, Pomona), the overhead and underground wires are all put in, the crossing gates are installed, and the parking lots finished, the rail line will be turned over to Los Angeles Metro for track testing and driver training. Beyond that, Metro is awaiting response to a hopeful funding request through S.B. 125 to extend the route to Montclair.

The Gold Line was recently renamed the A Line. From Long Beach to Azusa, the 49.5-mile A Line is currently the longest light rail in the U.S. The new 9.1-mile extension to Pomona will bring the total to 58.6 miles.

Article continues here.
. . . .

Old Posted Feb 7, 2024, 4:21 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

^ Inching closer and closer to that part of the metro area being "finished." They've gotten their pork. Seems obvious to me that the ultimate solution for the SGV is to use the Alhambra trench for HRT. It's wide enough for 3-4 tracks, plenty of room to accommodate rapid transit and freight.

LACMTA's LRTP was much more forward-thinking in the late 2000s... Silver/Yellow lines, LAXpress along the Harbor Subdivision, etc. We ended up doubling our transit sales tax rate and scaled back ambitions.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Feb 7, 2024, 5:17 AM

Quote:
^ Inching closer and closer to that part of the metro area being "finished." They've gotten their pork. Seems obvious to me that the ultimate solution for the SGV is to use the Alhambra trench for HRT. It's wide enough for 3-4 tracks, plenty of room to accommodate rapid transit and freight.

LACMTA's LRTP was much more forward-thinking in the late 2000s... Silver/Yellow lines, LAXpress along the Harbor Subdivision, etc. We ended up doubling our transit sales tax rate and scaled back ambitions.
Even still, the region is building more rail than just about any other US city.

Are you referring to the Alameda Corridor?

Old Posted Feb 7, 2024, 6:27 AM

Quote:
Even still, the region is building more rail than just about any other US city.

Are you referring to the Alameda Corridor?
Quixote is referring to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPKBUK0ZiaU&t=1044s

Old Posted Feb 7, 2024, 5:57 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

^ Nice! And they have it going all the way to Pomona instead of terminating in Industry like in this map:

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Feb 7, 2024, 8:39 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Numble, do you have any thoughts about what adding a ventilation shaft(s) — to facilitate more frequent headways — underneath the Hollywood Hills (and the Sepulveda Pass, for that matter) would entail logistically and cost-wise? Do you see it as something that should and/or will probably be done at some point in the future, especially if the B Line is extended down Vermont and becomes a stand-alone line?

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Feb 7, 2024, 10:25 PM
Paramoderator

I actually think these are the best looking out of all the HRT cars Metro has ordered. I just wish they were fully open gangway!

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 12:48 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Rode the D and A Lines back from Wilshire/Vermont earlier this afternoon. Just missed both trains, so I ended up waiting about 14-15 minutes (6 minutes for the D Line, 8-9 minutes for the A Line). That's a pretty big swing, and it's hardly a way to attract choice riders, especially since station entrances smell of piss.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 6:11 AM

Quote:
Numble, do you have any thoughts about what adding a ventilation shaft(s) — to facilitate more frequent headways — underneath the Hollywood Hills (and the Sepulveda Pass, for that matter) would entail logistically and cost-wise? Do you see it as something that should and/or will probably be done at some point in the future, especially if the B Line is extended down Vermont and becomes a stand-alone line?
It was once in the long term plans but the ridership decline and vehicle shortage probably means it won't be a priority for awhile.
https://x.com/metamodernismyt/status...818237663?s=20

Old Posted Feb 9, 2024, 9:09 AM

What a missed opportunity not extending the A line all the way to the Ontario airport. It's so close. End of the road at Ontario Mills? Ahh one can dream. Maybe when i'm 40.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2024, 5:45 PM

San Bernardino County decided to try Elon Musk Loop tunnel stupidity.
Musk Borring company then said, Nah.

The board of Supervisors lost time and will power to cooperate with SCAG/Metro.

They just don't care right now.

An extension to LA/ONT airport is a now brainer. Im with you.

Im 40 now, and been following these developments since HS. When Emporis.com was free. when it used to be skyscraper.com...Back in the 90s.

Hope you see it in your lifetime. LOL

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 2:16 AM

Los Angeles Reddit has photos of the interior of the new CRRC subway cars. Longitudinal seating! Gangways!

I can't get the photos to show up here, so check them out on Reddit

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 2:24 AM
Show me the blueprints

They look cautious and boring just like most rolling stock in this country. The same train overseas would have maple seats, lime green grab bars and a disco ball on the ceiling.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 4:06 PM
你的媽媽

Overall it looks pretty good. Should be a big improvement in terms of cleanliness.

I only have two minor gripes. I feel like they should've gone with full longitudinal seating for a cleaner look and more standing room. It's also a bit strange how some of the seats are floating and fold down and the others that are in a row are fixed. The floating ones kinda feel like an afterthought. I'm guessing those areas are reserved for wheelchair access, but might've been better off going with no seats there completely. Second, I feel like they could've gone with a more clean, less busy design for the support poles/barriers around the doors. There's a lot going on there with all the parallel diagonal bars. I'm also not sure they're really needed for the area in front/behind the seats for seniors and persons with disabilities.

Here's a nice example from Singapore to help illustrate what I was envisioning.

https://unsplash.com/s/photos/singapore-mrt

Last edited by homebucket; Feb 23, 2024 at 4:26 PM.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 5:09 PM
Show me the blueprints

American transit agencies sure love to markings on the floor. Whether it's pointless striping like we see here, arrows at every single freaking door like the NY subway or "wheelchair parking" or "little old ladies here" they never miss an opportunity.

Love the look at that clean contrasting band floor in the Singapore train.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 6:01 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Los Angeles Reddit has photos of the interior of the new CRRC subway cars. Longitudinal seating! Gangways!

I can't get the photos to show up here, so check them out on Reddit
Sorry, this post was removed by Reddit’s Legal Operations team.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation