HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #19721  
Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 7:54 PM
bmust71 bmust71 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinlee View Post
They certainly did put some work into that rendering. In that it makes no sense. The Park building is on the left where it should be yet the PNC1 tower and former Lazarus building somehow jumped across the street and replaced the Warner Centre and Tower at PNC Plaza.
I was referring to the Pinkerton's restaurant rendering in the Frick building
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19722  
Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 8:22 PM
eschaton eschaton is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucka View Post
The two main parts of the article:

"...Oxford expects to work on the initial planning for the Packaging Corporation of America site over the next six to eight weeks and hopes to be able to present a proposal to Pittsburgh city planning next spring."

"Oxford also is beginning to look seriously at plans for the building it has under agreement at 2620 Smallman St."
The PCA site was my top guess. So, discounting the sites which are going to be redeveloped in the future, but haven't yet (Consumer Produce building is now owned by NYC investment firm, and city is going to market its DPW site between 29th and 31st Street, all that's left which isn't slated to be developed is:

1. A small lot next to the Cork Factory currently used for parking for the marina. At one point a botique hotel was suggested on this space, but that project seems to be dead.

2. Two lots sandwiched between the Cork Factory and the Oxford building currently going up. The Cork Factory Lawn is owned by Pitt Ohio. I presume this wasn't sold to Oxford because the lot next to it is used for parking by J. Harris & Sons, who clearly weren't ready to sell out to Oxford, given Three Crossings essentially surrounds them on all sides. If they could develop the plots together, it would get them a plot of the same width as Riverfront East/West

3. A small warehouse next to Pitt Ohio's new office.

That's it. Everything else is being built out, has been bought out, or will soon be sold.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19723  
Old Posted Yesterday, 11:22 AM
BrianTH BrianTH is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
The PCA site was my top guess. So, discounting the sites which are going to be redeveloped in the future, but haven't yet (Consumer Produce building is now owned by NYC investment firm, and city is going to market its DPW site between 29th and 31st Street, all that's left which isn't slated to be developed is:

1. A small lot next to the Cork Factory currently used for parking for the marina. At one point a botique hotel was suggested on this space, but that project seems to be dead.

2. Two lots sandwiched between the Cork Factory and the Oxford building currently going up. The Cork Factory Lawn is owned by Pitt Ohio. I presume this wasn't sold to Oxford because the lot next to it is used for parking by J. Harris & Sons, who clearly weren't ready to sell out to Oxford, given Three Crossings essentially surrounds them on all sides. If they could develop the plots together, it would get them a plot of the same width as Riverfront East/West

3. A small warehouse next to Pitt Ohio's new office.

That's it. Everything else is being built out, has been bought out, or will soon be sold.
Amazing.

Just a guess, but I would think something on (1) moves forward no later than around when the Consumers Produce site gets done. As I recall the investors gave Consumers Produce something like a 5-year lease back, after which the expectation is they will move out and redevelopment will commence.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19724  
Old Posted Yesterday, 12:34 PM
chiaroscuro chiaroscuro is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmust71 View Post
I was referring to the Pinkerton's restaurant rendering in the Frick building
LOL. I think that may be a tongue-in-cheek easter egg referring to Henry Clay Frick's history with the Pinkertons.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19725  
Old Posted Yesterday, 12:55 PM
eschaton eschaton is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Just a guess, but I would think something on (1) moves forward no later than around when the Consumers Produce site gets done. As I recall the investors gave Consumers Produce something like a 5-year lease back, after which the expectation is they will move out and redevelopment will commence.
Yeah. I agree it makes the most sense for the NYC firm which bought Consumers Produce to buy that skinny lot. It would give their potential redevelopment frontage on 23rd Street, and allow for a full two blocks of land to work with.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19726  
Old Posted Yesterday, 6:06 PM
Austinlee's Avatar
Austinlee Austinlee is offline
Chillin' in The Burgh
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Spring Hill, Pittsburgh
Posts: 12,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiaroscuro View Post
LOL. I think that may be a tongue-in-cheek easter egg referring to Henry Clay Frick's history with the Pinkertons.
I certainly think so. That would be a hell of a coincidence if not.

A second guess could be that it's named after Weezer's excellent second album, Pinkerton. Personally my favorite Weezer album. I had two hamsters in high school I got for a science project and then pets (I recreated the Pavlov's dog experiment with them) and they were named Rivers (as in Rivers Cuomo the lead singer) and Pinkerton.
__________________
Check out the newest developments in The Burgh. Pittsburgh Rundown II

"Even Old New York was once New Amsterdam"
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19727  
Old Posted Yesterday, 7:33 PM
themaguffin themaguffin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,049
Quote:
I wish this wasn't behind a paywall
Next time that happens, put the headline into MSN/Bing and click on the article in the search results. This used to work with Google news, but still does with Microsoft, probably because publishers don't give a shit about them and only worry about Google.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19728  
Old Posted Today, 11:54 AM
BrianTH BrianTH is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,894
Some more details of the planned overhaul of the Freight House at Station Square:

http://www.post-gazette.com/business...s/201709210084

Quote:
Jim LaRue, director of asset management of the Cleveland-based developer, said Wednesday he is negotiating with Pittsburgh health system UPMC to take about 35,000 square feet of space in the southeast corner of the Freight House Shops for use as a corporate training center. While the deal has yet to be signed, Mr. LaRue said the two sides are “pretty far along” in the talks. . . .

Mr. LaRue said Forest City is planning to add restaurants on both sides of Station Square Drive, which cuts through the complex. It would create something akin to a restaurant row running from the Grand Concourse to the Sheraton Pittsburgh Hotel. The plan is to open the restaurants along the stretch to the street and then add patios and outdoor seating. A similar arrangement is planned inside, with more open seating in the common areas. . . . Station Square is now home to about a dozen restaurants, including the Grand Concourse and adjacent Gandy Dancer Saloon, the Hard Rock Cafe, Houlihan’s, Texas de Brazil and Buca di Beppo. Rascal Flatts restaurant, named after the country music group, is taking over the 7,463-square-foot former Bar Louie space, located in Bessemer Court, and will feature a full-service bar and live entertainment. No opening date has been set. . . .

Arthur Ziegler, president of the History and Landmarks Foundation, which was responsible for turning the old railroad property into Station Square, said Forest City has discussed the renovation plans with him in general terms. He said he feels good about the direction. “I think that it needs some new anchors and revitalization, so we’re looking forward to seeing the upgrades, investments, and changes and who the tenants might be. We have a class A facility here and it needs to be restored to that status and they’re committed to doing that,” Mr. Ziegler said.

Forest City had at one time considered replacing the Freight House Shops, but ultimately decided against that. . . . This fall, Trammell Crow Co. is expected to get started on a 319-unit apartment complex on the east side of Station Square. The $60 million development is expected to feature two five-story buildings connected by a pedestrian bridge, a 340-space parking garage and 3,200 square feet of retail.
I think this is a solid plan. Indoor mall retail is not a healthy sector, to say the least, and converting some of that interior space to offices may be necessary to keeping this part of the complex financially sustainable. But restaurants with outdoor space are popular, and probably will benefit from the planned developments in the parking lots to the east of the Smithfield Bridge.

By the way, what I'd really love to see is a better tie-in to the Mon Incline. This is what you see currently at the base of the incline as you look at Station Square:

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4325...7i13312!8i6656

That's a real wasted opportunity. There has to be a better way of directing people over to this new outdoor district they are creating. I'd love a pedestrian bridge over Carson and a direct passage around or through the Freight House. Actually, I'm enough of a historic train geek that I'd love to continue an elevated walking path straight OVER the top of the Freight House:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/St...6!4d-80.004639

But if not that, at least something like some colorful signage--"Just Around the Corner for Restaurants X, Y, Z!" sort of thing. There is no excuse for it looking so uninviting when just some paint and a sign could make a huge difference.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19729  
Old Posted Today, 12:12 PM
GeneW's Avatar
GeneW GeneW is online now
Northsider
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 550
Quote:
By the way, what I'd really love to see is a better tie-in to the Mon Incline. This is what you see currently at the base of the incline as you look at Station Square:
The whole Carson Street side of Station Square has always been a disaster. There's not even a sidewalk there.
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:28 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.