HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckk View Post
In my experience people from Butler tend to avoid the city at all costs because they think they will get shot or stabbed if they come here. I drove my parents (who are NOT from Butler) and their Butler friends to a Pirate game once and was met with this query when I opted to take Perrysville Ave instead of 279; "Why did you take us this way?" followed by this gem of a statement; "Don't look at them." I can only assume 'them' meant black people. Meanwhile Butler City is a drug addicted craphole... imo. The irony.
I'm from Butler and you're mostly right. And the few people that don't have irrational fears of getting stabbed or mugged just get extreme anxiety from driving in the city. I have friends that love to go to the city but absolutely refuse to drive themselves.

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 6:23 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

I rode my bike around the river trails last night for a couple hours and it was so incredibly great. I can't urge you enough if you don't use the riverfront trail system to go check it out. Walk, jog, ride a bike (rent a bike) or take the dog for a walk.

A few thoughts I had:

- The trail extensions such as through the strip district as well as the southside connection over to station square can't come soon enough. There were thousands of people using the trails and the rivers and boating but the trail system really needs to be connected and filled.

-The Riverwalk warehouse complex next to the Liberty Bridge is an absolutely awesome complex. It just screams industrial cool. The fact that it has multiple structures and a bridge and river access and the riverfront trail goes right through it means the potential of that complex is huge. It can't come soon enough either.

-The large open lots next to station square where I believe it is Forest City has plans for a large mixed-use complex can't come soon enough too. It is begging to be redeveloped.

- The Southside Works area has so much activity and energy. It is wonderful. The Hot Metal Bridge & the boat docks (which are surprisingly large) and the collection of interesting office buildings on either side of the river create a really nice modern vibe.

- Point State Park nowadays is wonderful. Such a great park - The renovation has done wonders. As good as any park in the country I have been to. It's large, I chose to park and sit under a tree and laugh at all the people and dogs running around and having fun. Segway tours, biking meetup groups, dancers, fishermen, boating enthusiasts & more. It's such a big hit.

- The huge area of open parking lots around the 16th street bridge have tremendous potential. One day I imagine a huge mixed use or residential neighborhood built there in the area of the now non-existant Schweitzer Loch (I have no idea how to spell it) neighborhood. It's such a large area with killer views of downtown.

- The area around the Cardello building will be a huge asset when developed as well. It's very accessible to all the Northshore activities.

But my overwhelming feeling during my several mile bike ride is that it would be IMPOSSIBLE to over invest in riverfront trails and biking infrastructure. Impossible.
They are such a crucial component to the vitality of the city for pedestrians, cyclists, dog owners, residents, suburbanites (such as myself that chose to move to the heart of the city) and visitors. You can see the enjoyment on the thousands of faces.

Last edited by Austinlee; May 26, 2016 at 6:34 PM.

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckk View Post
In my experience people from Butler tend to avoid the city at all costs because they think they will get shot or stabbed if they come here. I drove my parents (who are NOT from Butler) and their Butler friends to a Pirate game once and was met with this query when I opted to take Perrysville Ave instead of 279; "Why did you take us this way?" followed by this gem of a statement; "Don't look at them." I can only assume 'them' meant black people. Meanwhile Butler City is a drug addicted craphole... imo. The irony.
I have family north of Butler and you are absolutely right about how many up there feel about coming into the city; especially the older people.

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Hell yeah man! Yinz goan ta da takilla cahboy dahn der on da north side?

What an embarrassing stain for that area, but I guess it's par for the course for the warshinton and kittanning like crowds who only come into the city to see a game. I can already imagine the confederate flag waving trucks parked in the parking lot for that establishment.
This type of restaurant near a sports venue is not unique to Pittsburgh. Philly has the PBR (Professional Bull Riders) Restaurant at Xfinity Live at the stadium complex in south Philly. It's complete with a mechanical bull.....Country Cool meets Urban Chic is their tagline.

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 11:40 PM

Great post! Agreed on all fronts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinlee View Post
I rode my bike around the river trails last night for a couple hours and it was so incredibly great. I can't urge you enough if you don't use the riverfront trail system to go check it out. Walk, jog, ride a bike (rent a bike) or take the dog for a walk.

A few thoughts I had:

- The trail extensions such as through the strip district as well as the southside connection over to station square can't come soon enough. There were thousands of people using the trails and the rivers and boating but the trail system really needs to be connected and filled.

-The Riverwalk warehouse complex next to the Liberty Bridge is an absolutely awesome complex. It just screams industrial cool. The fact that it has multiple structures and a bridge and river access and the riverfront trail goes right through it means the potential of that complex is huge. It can't come soon enough either.

-The large open lots next to station square where I believe it is Forest City has plans for a large mixed-use complex can't come soon enough too. It is begging to be redeveloped.

- The Southside Works area has so much activity and energy. It is wonderful. The Hot Metal Bridge & the boat docks (which are surprisingly large) and the collection of interesting office buildings on either side of the river create a really nice modern vibe.

- Point State Park nowadays is wonderful. Such a great park - The renovation has done wonders. As good as any park in the country I have been to. It's large, I chose to park and sit under a tree and laugh at all the people and dogs running around and having fun. Segway tours, biking meetup groups, dancers, fishermen, boating enthusiasts & more. It's such a big hit.

- The huge area of open parking lots around the 16th street bridge have tremendous potential. One day I imagine a huge mixed use or residential neighborhood built there in the area of the now non-existant Schweitzer Loch (I have no idea how to spell it) neighborhood. It's such a large area with killer views of downtown.

- The area around the Cardello building will be a huge asset when developed as well. It's very accessible to all the Northshore activities.

But my overwhelming feeling during my several mile bike ride is that it would be IMPOSSIBLE to over invest in riverfront trails and biking infrastructure. Impossible.
They are such a crucial component to the vitality of the city for pedestrians, cyclists, dog owners, residents, suburbanites (such as myself that chose to move to the heart of the city) and visitors. You can see the enjoyment on the thousands of faces.

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 1:19 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wave View Post
Great post! Agreed on all fronts.
Thanks.

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 2:54 PM

New planning commission presentation, but it's pretty dry.

1. Oxford Development is demolishing the abandoned warehouse in South Oakland at the corner of Craft Place and Boulevard of the Allies. We already know from zoning board variances they plan to build an apartment building there, but as of yet they are not submitting the plans, which seems a little bit odd.

2. There's a briefing regarding re-certification of two residential permit parking zones in Oakland, but this is only clear from the schedule, not the presentation.

That is literally it. All other business is old. Unless we have a real rush of development coming up, the next planning commission presentation is going to be ludicrously small.

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 10:55 PM
Hell with the Lid Off.

Quote:

A few thoughts I had:

So true Austin. Such a big part of connecting the city to it's people are things like this. Pittsburgh has for the last couple decades been trying to figure out how to use our rivers as an asset after the steel industry fell out and no longer needing the rivers for barge traffic.
But a river not an ocean with white sand beaches. They can be an obstacle to where you need to go or a way to divide us. We built bridges. Now we build trails. We can watch the water flow and boats float by. Experience why this region is so special one pedal pump at a time. A river can give us perspective on things. It forces us to look at our surroundings at a distance. What's around the bend? What's on the other side? We can see the Forrest the trees.
Thank God for our Rivers!

Old Posted May 28, 2016, 2:00 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF Lion View Post
This type of restaurant near a sports venue is not unique to Pittsburgh. Philly has the PBR (Professional Bull Riders) Restaurant at Xfinity Live at the stadium complex in south Philly. It's complete with a mechanical bull.....Country Cool meets Urban Chic is their tagline.
We do?

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted May 28, 2016, 5:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
We do?
http://www.xfinitylive.com/dining/pbr-bar-grill

Old Posted May 31, 2016, 2:38 PM
BANNED

Since when did this thread turn into a freshman creative writing seminar?

Old Posted May 31, 2016, 6:18 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by acenturi View Post
Shows you how much I care about what's down there.

On a side note, Xfinity Live is a sea change for Old City. IIRC the guido crowd usually congregates down there nowadays.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 1:22 PM

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 1:46 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private Dick View Post
Since when did this thread turn into a freshman creative writing seminar?
Ever since I went on a visionary bike quest.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 1:47 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
It's so complicated. I wish I understood this stuff more. Trying to glimpse at it while here at work.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 1:57 PM

While they don't have the biggest presence in Pittsburgh, the Union Trust Building has snagged another new and well known office tenant. I didn't even think they had any presence here, or that it would be in Station Square of all places as well.

http://www.post-gazette.com/business...s/201606010103

Quote:
Nokia to move into Union Trust Building

By Mark Belko / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
A week after landing an upscale seafood restaurant, the new owner of the historic Union Trust Building Downtown has reeled in another office tenant.

Nokia, now based in Station Square, has signed a lease to occupy 14,000 square feet on the eighth floor of the building, owned by The Davis Companies of Boston.

The company — a cell phone maker and a global leader in technology services — is expected to move in its 35 to 40 Pittsburgh employees around Labor Day.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 1:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Ever since I went on a visionary bike quest.
Yeah... sounds like you might have ingested some of the various fungi growing just off the bike trail.

Kidding aside, I agree with your visions of bike trail utopia... they're such a great way to get around and experience the city... and we need to expand the system!

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 2:27 PM

Quote:
It's so complicated. I wish I understood this stuff more. Trying to glimpse at it while here at work.
There's some good proposals in there. I especially like they are considering allowing for relaxing density limits for residential developments in exchange for including some affordable housing.

That said, the math overall does not add up to me. a fund of $100 million, even accounting for investment returns, will not provide anywhere near enough money to allow for 6,840 new affordable units in the city.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 4:29 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
There's some good proposals in there. I especially like they are considering allowing for relaxing density limits for residential developments in exchange for including some affordable housing.

That said, the math overall does not add up to me. a fund of $100 million, even accounting for investment returns, will not provide anywhere near enough money to allow for 6,840 new affordable units in the city.
I can't figure out why countries like China can build clusters of identical looking 50 story residential buildings with bus service at the base for 100,000's of people in a few years and in the US we cannot ever seem offer the poor decent housing. It costs a fortune; They don't build enough units. Why are we so bad at providing affordable housing?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 4:44 PM
Ex Houstonian

^
Because there's no money in it. No point in caring for people if someone can't get rich off of it in America.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations