HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 1:03 PM

Ross's contract will be cheap once he new bloated salary cap kicks in. Plus, Ross, with all his warts is still one of the higher ratio 3-point shooters in the league. If you cab shoot 3s at a top level in the league you will always get paid well.

Derozen will get re-signed and then traded. Masai apparently does not make players walk. Always signs them and then trades them down the road.

With Miami...

It is actually a better match up for us. Miami struggles to score and aside from annoying one on one match-ups (Whiteside vs JV could get ugly) Raptors have way more peices, better bench, better offence.

Raptors played tight and nervous all series. They should be more relaxed now with the first round ghost gone now. Let us not forget Miami looked very ordinary for most of the sweiws versus Charlotte. Niether squad is looking consistent.

Old Posted May 13, 2016, 12:46 AM
BANNED

I've kind of given up on boring hockey this yr esp with cdn teams being absolutely terrible.

Got back into NBA and have to say these playoffs are next level. Raptors are so inconsistent but eager to see them advance to the eastern finals before being taught a good lesson from the Cavs. Really hoping to see the Spurs eliminated tonight! And GS is still out of this world - still can't believe the shots Curry's consistently making. Been watching the NBA since the mid 90's, have never seen a player pull these kind of shots off and he's doing it consistently.

Old Posted May 15, 2016, 10:46 PM
Registered Drug User

Bliss.

Old Posted May 15, 2016, 10:57 PM
Registered Drug User

I was wrong about a lot. Not surprising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Terence Ross has flamed out like he did in the playoffs the the previous two years.
He redeemed himself in this series. He's got his three-point shooting down, but those drives to the basket are tantalizing. We want more! Terence Ross is going to be a major talent if he develops to the point where he can consistently finish at the rim.

Quote:
DeRozan is inconsistent, and looks like he's good for maybe three decent performances out of seven.
Against Miami he had three really good games, three decent games and one crap game. So, better than my pessimistic prognosis.

Quote:
But the biggest story is that Kyle Lowry's elbow is hurt really bad, and he's a shadow of the self he was during the regular season. He's sort of making up for it with some smart play and good passing, but this team isn't going to go anywhere without him hitting big-time threes and dominating in the fourth quarter.
He's mostly back to his regular self. He had four great games out of seven against Miami. But he's going to need to be great every game against Cleveland if Toronto is going to have a chance.

Quote:
I will not be surprised if Miami wins in four games. I'll be disappointed, but not surprised. I will be surprised if the series makes it to six games. Of course, there's a chance that getting to the second round really will be like getting a monkey off their back, and they'll actually start to play as good as they did for stretches during the regular season. Who knows?

My prediction? Miami in 4 or 5. I hope I'm wrong (that wouldn't surprise me either) and I eat my words!
Words eaten. The problem with predictions is that they're always about the future. Some people know more about the future than others.

Old Posted May 15, 2016, 11:05 PM

Thank-fully Raptors fever hasn't swept through Vancouver cause I despise the NBA, but I will pull for the Raptors making it to the finals because it would be very disruptive to the NBA establishment.

Old Posted May 15, 2016, 11:50 PM

My excitement is a little tempered because of the damn Western Conference. What's the best scenario for the Raptors here? Make the finals and get absolutely embarrassed? Put up a valiant effort and still lose? This isn't like hockey where you can out work a vastly superior team and win. Talent wins in the NBA.

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 1:08 AM

We the mother-effn' North!

Unfortunately, I think it ends there. The Cavs will be next to impossible to beat.
But it was a good run. The boys should be proud and Toronto is a buzz.

Raptors have chance to influence another generation of fans: Mudhar

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 6:00 AM

^^ I guess Raptors have finally excised their demons after Fifteen Years since Vince Carter's botched last minute shot in chance for entrance to Eastern Conference final..

The irony of it all is that had Lebron James still played for the Heat, Toronto would never have made it this far, guess Raptor's should thank Lebron before he dispenses Raptors to the curb..

I know absolutely nothing about the players on the Raptors team but having seen Lebron play live with Heat in PHX, you really get how incredible a force he is..

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 3:03 PM
arf

Congratulations to the Raptors for making the Conference finals. Hoping they can take a couple of games from Cleveland and make the series interesting.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
But it was a good run.
Whaaaat??? It hasn't even started yet so it ain't over. Toronto did beat them 2 out of 3 in the regular season and they have a new energy now that they beat Miami. Don't count them out yet.

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatTallNorth2 View Post
Whaaaat??? It hasn't even started yet so it ain't over. Toronto did beat them 2 out of 3 in the regular season and they have a new energy now that they beat Miami. Don't count them out yet.
I'm just managing my expectations. Better to be pleasantly surprised than to be disappointed.

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskScraper View Post
^^ I guess Raptors have finally excised their demons after Fifteen Years since Vince Carter's botched last minute shot in chance for entrance to Eastern Conference final..

The irony of it all is that had Lebron James still played for the Heat, Toronto would never have made it this far, guess Raptor's should thank Lebron before he dispenses Raptors to the curb..

I know absolutely nothing about the players on the Raptors team but having seen Lebron play live with Heat in PHX, you really get how incredible a force he is..
If Lebron still played for the Heat, then the Heat would have been the first seed in the conference and the Cavs would have been first round fodder, so the Raptors, as the second seed, would still be facing Lebron in the Eastern Conference finals.

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 5:32 PM

The Bizarro world of Toronto sports.

Who would have thought that the MLSE's Raptors would have something in common with the CFL Argos. At the Argos sale news conference, the Mike Babcock announcement was made showing exceedingly bad form on the part of some of their media.

They're at it again, as the greatest moment in Raptor's history has been Wally Pipped by the ridiculous Bautista incident. Unlike most sports cities that support each others franchises Toronto again eats its own.

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 5:33 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post

Who would have thought that the MLSE's Raptors would have something in common with the CFL Argos. At the Argos sale news conference, the Mike Babcock announcement was made showing exceedingly bad form on the part of some of their media.

They're at it again, as the greatest moment in Raptor's history has been Wally Pipped by the ridiculous Bautista incident. Unlike most sports cities that support each others franchises Toronto again eats its own.

What the fuck are you even talking about?

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 5:59 PM

Quote:

The key difference being that the Jays' thing was not preordained the way the Babcock announcement was.

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 6:04 PM
arf

^Exactly. The conspiracy theory there is a bit much.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
^Exactly. The conspiracy theory there is a bit much.
No conspiracy, just sad that a team has to "share" the spotlight instead of being able to bask in the sun alone for a while.

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 7:05 PM
arf

^Why would a random sports event that was reasonably significant as well be a problem? If that's the problem then maybe the Raptors should play in Halifax where they'd be the only story. Or maybe Canada should only have one team in professional sports.

I've read more stories on the Raptors today than the Blue Jays all season. Although I did click on one Blue Jays story because baseball fights are always hilarious and are always just so misguided because the first rule in all sports should be: respect your opponent. But baseball is usually the worst at it.

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 7:11 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:

I think you're living in your own bizarro world/small prairie town (if I recall correctly?) and can't really imagine what it's like to be in a massive, freewheeling sports market of 10 million people.

A lot of stuff happens here.

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 8:58 PM

I'm not sure I understand. The Raptors story is being overshadowed by the Jays incident?

From where I stand, I've heard about the Jays thing only twice today, while the Raptors win has been constant. Usually getting the lead on sports stories. The Raptors have been the water-cooler talk at the office during the playoffs - but last night's win brought it up to another level.

It's finally a good time to be a Toronto sports fan with the Raptors, resurging Jays, TFC's decent play and updated stadium and *gasp!* the Leafs stockpiling talented prospects (you know something strange is going on when the Leafs are included in the good news).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada