HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jul 16, 2013, 3:48 PM
ColoRADo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
This apparently is what happened to kids who grew up in the brand benew DIA era Fascinating.

My shocking factoid of the night. Coors Field is the 3rd oldest ballpark in the league. Can you f'in believe that?
I'm not sure how you're defining oldest, but I can think of 5 or so off the top of my head that are older.

Edit: Here's a list of ballparks by age. It shows Coors as being 13th oldest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...eball_stadiums

Old Posted Jul 16, 2013, 3:55 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLANSIT View Post
I'm not sure how you're defining oldest, but I can think of 5 or so off the top of my head that are older.

Edit: Here's a list of ballparks by age. It shows Coors as being 13th oldest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...eball_stadiums
He's talking about the oldest ballparks in the National League. Not the oldest ballparks in the MLB.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jul 16, 2013, 4:03 PM

I assumed he meant by league the NL since Coors Field is the third oldest ballpark in the national league.

Wrigley being the oldest, Dodger the second oldest, and then Coors.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2013, 4:22 PM
ColoRADo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
He's talking about the oldest ballparks in the National League. Not the oldest ballparks in the MLB.
OH!! Gotcha. Thanks.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2013, 4:38 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Yeah, the "league." Not the junior circuit, they don't count. And the fact that half of their teams are playing in junky old barns proves that point.

EDIT: That wikipedia article is ridiculous, by the way. Also, when 90% of your parks are labeled as "retro," maybe that's not retro at all, and is actually just the style. I.e., modern. Or i.e., a ballpark.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2013, 6:04 PM
cities|transit|croissants

"Retro modern" is my favorite.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2013, 9:51 PM

You guys remember that arcade game called "Rampage"? You know that game where you get to chose among several giant monster characters, like Godzilla or King Kong or whatever, and then you trample through city after city, trying to knock down all the buildings and stuff while you're being attacked by army tanks and helicopters and shit? The more cities you can destroy before the army kills you, the more points you get... or something.

Anyway, I think they should combine SimCity and Rampage. After you're finished creating a city, you get to switch to Godzilla mode and smash the hell out of it. And then you can switch back to urban planner mode and re-build, then switch back to Godzilla mode, etc. Is it just me or would that be awesome?!

Old Posted Jul 16, 2013, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Hill View Post
Is it just me or would that be awesome?!
Of course I mean for 12-year-old's. Not for me. Because I'm a mature adult and wouldn't have any interest in such silliness. <looks around suspiciously>

Old Posted Jul 16, 2013, 10:05 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Isn't that what the DISASTER button was for in the first place??? I mean, it's not godzilla, and you can't control it. But earthquakes, and tornadoes, and aliens, oh my!

Old Posted Jul 16, 2013, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Isn't that what the DISASTER button was for in the first place???
That's not the same. No helicopters to swat. No army men to squish. It's just not the same.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2013, 2:25 AM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

We need to learn how to urbanize like the capital of Panem.. This is after less than a year. Look at all that progress!

Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream

Old Posted Jul 22, 2013, 3:19 AM

It's easier when you copy and paste the same buildings 2-4 times across the city.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2013, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
We need to learn how to urbanize like the capital of Panem.. This is after less than a year. Look at all that progress!

I do not hunger for it, however.

Train Ballet - The Bolshoi of trains

This type of near perfection could be done in the US, if we would commit ourselves to people moving infrastructure first- and development second, then, practice, practice, practice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMaXtgSYrfU

http://www.vtpi.org/gentraf.pdf

Last edited by Cirrus; Jul 23, 2013 at 2:06 AM.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2013, 12:05 AM
Provincial Bumpkin

Sigh, you have that completely backwards. The commitment to development needs to come first. It just needs to be a commitment to better development. Then we can build people moving infrastructure.

If we built trains like you show in that video, you know what would be different about them? They would have to have the biggest damn park-and-rides you've seen. Otherwise there'd be no people around to ride them.

We don't build trains like that because they'd be a waste of money. It's not a lack of commitment, it's a lack of demand. And the lack of demand is entirely attributable to a lack of commitment to dense development that would generate demand.

You do realize, don't you, that we have plenty of world class transportation infrastructure in the U.S. - world class HIGHWAY infrastructure. Because that's what facilitates the development model we've committed to for the last 60 years. Maybe that's changing, maybe it's not. But even if it's changing, it's changing at a scale that supports some streetcars here and there. Maybe even eventually some grade separated/dedicated ROW light rail. But not large scale heavy rail.

Last edited by bunt_q; Jul 23, 2013 at 12:16 AM.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2013, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Sigh, you have that completely backwards. The commitment to development needs to come first. It just needs to be a commitment to better development. Then we can build people moving infrastructure.

If we built trains like you show in that video, you know what would be different about them? They would have to have the biggest damn park-and-rides you've seen. Otherwise there'd be no people around to ride them.

We don't build trains like that because they'd be a waste of money. It's not a lack of commitment, it's a lack of demand. And the lack of demand is entirely attributable to a lack of commitment to dense development that would generate demand.

You do realize, don't you, that we have plenty of world class transportation infrastructure in the U.S. - world class HIGHWAY infrastructure. Because that's what facilitates the development model we've committed to for the last 60 years. Maybe that's changing, maybe it's not. But even if it's changing, it's changing at a scale that supports some streetcars here and there. Maybe even eventually some grade separated/dedicated ROW light rail. But not large scale heavy rail.

I am merely talking here about excellence- true excellence which takes cooperation at any level. I am not talking about the technology of systems, I am talking about good design, and, utilizing what one has superbly.

What great transportation systems do, from the Interstate highway system* to India's chaotic yet immensely used passenger train system, is enable people to move efficiently. Such systems do not have to large, or technologically elaborate. Rather, they have to work extremely well and, in addition, have to be in a state of constant improvement.

When mistakes are made in design, and, execution, for whatever reason, the mistakes are addressed and corrected. Whether we have a FasTracks, JR East, or a tourist line, the issue remains the same.

*Into the 1990s.

http://www.vtpi.org/gentraf.pdf

Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 9:00 PM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

I really like tower cranes but this.. This is ridiculous..

http://www.hiwtc.com/
Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream

Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 11:03 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Look at that girth.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 3:40 AM

Inception crane.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2013, 9:43 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Maybe the Utah guys don't want to use this one because it's a microbrew?

Old Posted Aug 29, 2013, 11:39 PM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

What's Idaho's excuse? They have their own chit chat thread too.. Can't we all just get along?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West