HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Sep 17, 2006, 12:31 AM
Maui Built

These buildings look great from the Amtrack staion. i really like them

Old Posted Sep 18, 2006, 2:35 PM

I see that the facade will be going up soon. It won't be long before the finishing touches are done. When is it scheduled to be finished? Fall 2007?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2006, 3:03 PM

I am told that the lower floors will be ready for occupancy in late Feb 2007 and the entire building by late April 2007. But you know how construction delays go. So we will see.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2006, 7:36 PM

toemayo......I have noticed construction has stopped about a week ago with about half of the Filigree Wideslabs in place for the 21st floor. Any problems?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2006, 1:09 AM

Does anyone know about the construction costs of these buildings? Also, who is the developer?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2006, 4:11 PM

Christina Landing

The neighborhood is really starting to come together. Still hoping for a grocery store nearby soon, but overall a great place to live.

Last edited by greggpow; Oct 6, 2006 at 4:33 AM.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2006, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egl23
Johnny C, You should stay on a Canadian thread with your arrogant banter! NOBODY cares about Canada. Maybe one day your country will be as great as the U.S.
Egl23, Johnny C's post was hardly as arrogant as your post. Your superiority complex is what arrogance is all about.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2006, 4:46 AM
I ate your kids. Sorry.

^ a bit late there with that comment, don't ya think?

Old Posted Oct 5, 2006, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyc
Are these buildings going to be the highest in Wilmington? I don't see any signifigance that would warrant a thread this long (these buildings are sort of mediocre) unless they are going to be the tallest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyc
That place sounds like the exact opposite of where I live (Calgary Alberta), 1 000 000 in the city and 1 200 000 in the metro.
They are going crazy building shit up here. Gotta love oil..
Milwaukee Mark, I agree with you that my post was a little arrogant.

But it really pisses me off when somebody comes into a forum that consists mostly of local Wilmington/Philadelphia posters to humiliate them by stating in so many words how his city is better. These posters invest a lot of time and energy into their local region and truly care about the future of the city.

Sorry for you buddy if you can't see that!

Old Posted Oct 6, 2006, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggpow
The neighborhood is really starting to come together. Still hoping for a grocery store nearby soon, but overall a great place to live.
I believe there will be a grocery store soon. Probably near the Justison Landing area though, on the other side of the river. It would be nice if there were some stores in South Wilmington or Christina Landing or that general area so that it wouldn't be as far of a walk for residents there.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2006, 3:59 AM

Hard to say what the chances are of a grocery store going in... I've heard rumors for over a year that the city or Buccini-Pollin are "in negotiations" with a national chain. Guess I'll believe it when I see it... but hope it happens.

Seems a grocery store would prefer to be on a major road like Market St (Rt. 13) to get both city residents and daily commuters leaving the city. I'd be curious to know what lot they would target for a store. Unless BPG has purchased something very recently, their two empty lots wouldn't work bc of their small size. The RDC does own quite a bit of land off of Howard Street... that's a possibility. It would be nice if they could relocate the Salvation Army to a nice lot somewhere else as that piece of land would be perfect for a grocery store...although it is waterfront so probably would have better uses Now that I think of it, really surprises me the Salvation Army is still there at all. Figured that would have been one of the first lots the RDC or Buccini would have tried to buy. Bet it eventually gets redeveloped.

Last edited by greggpow; Oct 7, 2006 at 4:28 AM.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2006, 8:43 PM
I ate your kids. Sorry.

Quote:
Hard to say what the chances are of a grocery store going in... I've heard rumors for over a year that the city or Buccini-Pollin are "in negotiations" with a national chain. Guess I'll believe it when I see it... but hope it happens.

Seems a grocery store would prefer to be on a major road like Market St (Rt. 13) to get both city residents and daily commuters leaving the city. I'd be curious to know what lot they would target for a store. Unless BPG has purchased something very recently, their two empty lots wouldn't work bc of their small size. The RDC does own quite a bit of land off of Howard Street... that's a possibility. It would be nice if they could relocate the Salvation Army to a nice lot somewhere else as that piece of land would be perfect for a grocery store...although it is waterfront so probably would have better uses Now that I think of it, really surprises me the Salvation Army is still there at all. Figured that would have been one of the first lots the RDC or Buccini would have tried to buy. Bet it eventually gets redeveloped.
The other problem I see with that area having a supermarket is what kind of supermarket would want to be there. Right now there is more of a save-a-lot demographic in the immediate surrounding area (southbridge, east side, west center city, Browntown).

However, I'm sure BPG would prefer a Genuardi's or the like, however a Pathmark would fit right there - Pathmark is pretty middle of the road, unless BPG has some connections with ACME or Shoprite or the like.

If you're talking about main corridors, the ACME in Trolley Square really isn't on a large thoroughfare, however I do have to say it has a monopoly on the west side of town.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2006, 12:35 AM

Quote:

I always wondered why the Salvation Army is on the Riverfront as well. Maybe they're holding out until they get an offer they can't refuse.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2006, 4:33 PM

Figuring out what demographic the store would serve is an interesting question. My first thought is a smaller, more upscale, grocer would be a better fit (Trader Joes). This would be popular among new city residents and these stores don't need the immense lot sizes as a store like Pathmark.

On the other hand any grocer wants to draw as many people from the surrounding area as possible, so maybe a more "average" store would be more realistic for the area. Hmmm...

I really don't care what store comes in, I think any grocer would be extremely successful as there is a big need that's not being met.

Maybe we should open one.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2006, 5:01 PM

Mike's Auto Glass - Grubb Lumber

shoprite

Last edited by greggpow; Feb 16, 2009 at 2:44 PM.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2006, 2:25 AM

Quote:
I was driving out of Christina Landing and couldn't help laughing when I noticed the sign hanging outside Mike's Auto Glass saying:

WELCOME CHRISTINA LANDING!

They must be clueless...Don't they realize every resident in CL wants their ugly building out of the area. Many of the residents have to stare at this blight every day.

I know they were there first, but it doesn't matter. Like it or not, the area is becoming a residential area and they should do the right thing... sell their lots at a nice profit (but without gauging the city or developer) and let the progress toward total revitalization of the area continue. If they were smart they would sell now before the Real Estate market falls further.

All this goes for Grubb Lumber too!

Anyone know what the Eminent Domain laws are in Delaware/Wilmington and if they could apply in this case?
I'm sure Mike's is happy about Christina Landing even though CL will want it gone soon for two reasons:

1) Business from residents who live across the street

2) Land value went through the roof with the success of CL

Old Posted Oct 10, 2006, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx
I'm sure Mike's is happy about Christina Landing even though CL will want it gone soon for two reasons:

1) Business from residents who live across the street

2) Land value went through the roof with the success of CL
That is not my point, of course they love CL happened and their land value increased. The point is, I think they're greedy holding out for more money and have no regard for the city and its residents who want to see the area cleaned up and redeveloped.

They won't get any business from me and I would think other CL residents will feel the same, especially the ones that have to stare at that mess of a building everyday.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2006, 5:45 PM

sorry, duplicate post

Last edited by greggpow; Oct 10, 2006 at 5:46 PM. Reason: duplicate

Old Posted Oct 11, 2006, 7:31 PM

Quote:
That is not my point, of course they love CL happened and their land value increased. The point is, I think they're greedy holding out for more money and have no regard for the city and its residents who want to see the area cleaned up and redeveloped.

They won't get any business from me and I would think other CL residents will feel the same, especially the ones that have to stare at that mess of a building everyday.
Can you blame them for holding out though, if that's what they're doing? They are a small business with one location and probably don't harvest money like bigger places do. This is a great opportunity for them.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2006, 11:49 PM
Gainfully Employed

^That's right. It's their right to hold on to their property as long as they want for whatever price they want. Private property rights are one of the tenents this country was founded on.

This situation reminds me of people moving into new subdivisions in Kent or Sussex county and complaining about dust from fields being ploughed or their homes being buzzed by cropdusters early in the morning.

They're both relatively well maintained businesses. What's the harm? If they're knocked down CL residents will have to look at a fenced in overgrown lot. Which is better is a matter of opinion.

Have they poured the roof deck of the parking garage yet? I can see they're moving on the stairwell on the river side.

Edit: edited for grammar.

Last edited by mglan80; Oct 12, 2006 at 9:27 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive