HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 5:24 PM

Is this real? Putting a bunch of yellow flags to force people to pay attention is just ridiculous.
Calgary considers simple solution for pedestrian safety: Have them carry flags

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 6:05 PM
Crunchin' the numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Is this real? Putting a bunch of yellow flags to force people to pay attention is just ridiculous.
Calgary considers simple solution for pedestrian safety: Have them carry flags
How about we increase enforcement of the dangerous drivers who are causing the risk to pedestrians? By which I really mean have any enforcement at all. If drivers can't see a 6 foot object, is the solution really to put a 3 inch flag on the object? Maybe we should be lowering the speed limits, if drivers are going so fast they can't see and react to pedestrians.

I guess it's like the time we solved the problem of drunk driving by just asking people to play a tape in their car when they drove drunk that had someone shouting "Hey! Pay attention!" over and over.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 6:06 PM

I don't think it's the speed, I think it's just people not paying attention to what they are doing, and suburban drivers who aren't used to looking for pedestrians.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 6:27 PM
Moran supreme

Quote:
I don't think it's the speed, I think it's just people not paying attention to what they are doing, and suburban drivers who aren't used to looking for pedestrians.
Really?

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 6:37 PM
power to the people!

Both sides are at fault.

If you're a ped darting out into the road at night wearing all black without looking both ways first, you're an asshole. AND TAKE YOUR EYES OFF YOUR FUCKING SMARTPHONE. It does wonders for situational awareness.

And if you're some douche driver in an F150* darting out into intersections like the road is yours and yours alone, you're an asshole. AND TAKE YOUR EYES OFF YOUR FUCKING SMARTPHONE. It does wonders for situational awareness.

* I mentioned F150s because it seems to be the always in a rush douche driver losermobile of choice these days.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 6:38 PM

You don't think the lack of pedestrians in suburbs affects peoples driving habits? Not trying to rehash the urban vs suburban thing but I definitely thing this is a factor.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 7:12 PM

I almost get hit nearly everyday walking to the Ctrain station at lions park... Worst offenders is people turning left on a yellow advanced arrow and those who turn right on a yellow light.

This is just carelessness on behalf of drivers, we just need a few CPS officers sitting on the sidewalk observing traffic flow.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 7:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineman View Post
Both sides are at fault.

If you're a ped darting out into the road at night wearing all black without looking both ways first, you're an asshole. AND TAKE YOUR EYES OFF YOUR FUCKING SMARTPHONE. It does wonders for situational awareness.

And if you're some douche driver in an F150* darting out into intersections like the road is yours and yours alone, you're an asshole. AND TAKE YOUR EYES OFF YOUR FUCKING SMARTPHONE. It does wonders for situational awareness.

* I mentioned F150s because it seems to be the always in a rush douche driver losermobile of choice these days.
Absolutely.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 8:01 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFRENCH View Post
I almost get hit nearly everyday walking to the Ctrain station at lions park... Worst offenders is people turning left on a yellow advanced arrow and those who turn right on a yellow light.

This is just carelessness on behalf of drivers, we just need a few CPS officers sitting on the sidewalk observing traffic flow.
Why are you crossing the road on an amber?

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 8:03 PM
BANNED

Quote:
You don't think the lack of pedestrians in suburbs affects peoples driving habits? Not trying to rehash the urban vs suburban thing
Gold star to you for trolling!

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 8:07 PM
Crunchin' the numbers.

Quote:
Both sides are at fault.

The next time a driver is killed when they run into a pedestrian, while the pedestrian doesn't even notice the collision, I'll be as harsh on pedestrians as I am on drivers. Until then... One group of people has the power to kill the other group of people; I remember something from a movie once about how much responsibility comes with great power.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 8:13 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeBaby View Post
The next time a driver is killed when they run into a pedestrian, while the pedestrian doesn't even notice the collision, I'll be as harsh on pedestrians as I am on drivers. Until then... One group of people has the power to kill the other group of people; I remember something from a movie once about how much responsibility comes with great power.
That's pretty stupid logic. Fault does not map always in this fashion. If a pedestrian walks out in the middle of traffic while texting on their phone, when the laws of the land say they should not have moved out on the road at that time and/or location, it is their fault.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFRENCH View Post

Yep, one of my biggest beefs. Someone is maneuvering their 3000lb car one way while looking the other, I've left some nice foot size dents in peoples cars for that.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 8:44 PM
City Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
Why are you crossing the road on an amber?
Because he may not be as young as you and the light turned from green to amber whilst he was slowly crossing the street. Such ignorance toward the plight of the elderly...
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeBaby View Post
Agreed.

Controlling ped or driver behaviour through enforcement has never shown any hints of being possible, we must turn to the engineers to save us.

A person cannot be told with a sign to not to cross a road. People will jay-walk wherever they feel comfortable and if the nearest crossing is unreasonably far away. Remember, an unreasonable distance to a pedestrian will often mean anything more than a few metres. You can coax, plead or fine people all you want, but unless you put a police officer at every single undeveloped intersection in the pedestrian areas of the inner city then it will keep happening.

Same with drivers. Unless you put a police officer at every intersection in the inner city to catch speeding / running red-light / failure to yield offenses, it will still happen. Some people will break the rules. People are imperfect.

Also important to remember is that even if everyone follows the rules, plenty of people still get struck and killed at intersections when no speeding or jaywalking is involved. Also important to remember that these people happen to always be pedestrians.

If we want to keep cars and people in the same places there will always be conflicts. We can however, engineer our way out of the worst cases where a pedestrian is killed.

Lowering the speed of cars is the easiest way to reduce collisions. There more time to react to avoid the accident in the first place and less damage in the event you end up hitting someone.

There are plenty of ways to do this:
  • reduce lane-width
  • add onstreet parking
  • add more signals and controlled intersections so cars can't build up speed
  • extend curbs so cars cant take them very fast
  • Remove unnecessary lanes

Assuming you cannot control behaviour of anyone, you want fewer people to be killed and you want to maintain access everywhere for both cars and peds , cars will have to be physically prevented through design so they are never able to drive fast enough to kill someone, even accidentally or when they are "in the right". There is no alternatives that fit those requirements.

If the plan is to punish the occasional pedestrian for breaking the law (and often even when they don't) with death, keep the current setup.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 9:24 PM
power to the people!

The burden heavily leans on the driver. Definitely. But to absolutely absolve any responsibility on the pedestrian side is arrogant and ridiculous. At the extreme end of ped irresponsibility, one only has to YouTube russian dash cam vids.

If people are claiming that they're almost getting hit daily, perhaps an attitude adjustment is required. I walk quite a bit and don't experience this.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 10:15 PM

Quote:
The burden heavily leans on the driver. Definitely. But to absolutely absolve any responsibility on the pedestrian side is arrogant and ridiculous. At the extreme end of ped irresponsibility, one only has to YouTube russian dash cam vids.

If people are claiming that they're almost getting hit daily, perhaps an attitude adjustment is required. I walk quite a bit and don't experience this.
Everyone needs to be responsible for their own actions, pedestrians and motorists.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2014, 7:29 PM
BANNED

Old Posted Aug 14, 2015, 9:25 PM

Even though I'm no longer a pedestrian, I was pleased to see what looked like a sidewalk being laid down on the east side of Macleod at Southland at the weekend. It's about time. It's only been about 100 years coming.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2015, 5:06 AM

Curious............ I know Stephen Ave is the main downtown shopping/pedestrian street downtown and 17th in the Beltline but what street is it that connects the two?

I don't mean driving or even necessarily the most direct but in terms of pedestrian activity. If you are done walking downtown and want to enjoy the urban experience on your way to 17th, which street would you take? Is it 4th?

Also is the street that you would take very pedestrian friendly with cafes and nice streetscape or is it really just the better choice of a bunch of lousy ones?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure