HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 1:03 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Great Canadian Dining Thread

By moving the posts, it looks as though I started the thread. Sorry, jeremy:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_haak View Post
At the suggestion of a few members, I'll move the conversation here. Maybe a really nice mod could move some of the recent posts out of the Retail Thread to here?

They update their menu every few weeks, so I wouldn't be surprised if fresh fish appears at other times of the year. Would they be allowed to serve fish from recreational fishermen seeing as I don't believe there are any commercial ice fisheries in Ontario? I know that hunters aren't allow to sell meat, so I imagine regulations would be similar for recreational fishermen.

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Mar 7, 2014 at 7:27 PM.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 8:21 AM

Well, I can get all pretentious and rhyme of an assortment of dining establishments around Ottawa that I pretend to frequent while systematically dissecting their menu over a carafe of whatever their wine list leads me to that day. I assure you that some of the sesquipedalian folks on here would be on the qui vive over my menu choices.

Now getting real here, Razor's restaurant is the real deal.I'll tell you why..
Looking into my upright freezer I spy a large batch my sister's magic cabbage rolls and peroghies ..They are both my Polish mom's recipe (cabbage rolls..secret recipe ya right) She lives in Scarberia, and they are so good that my wife and I e-mailed her money for her to make and ship us a large batch of both to keep in our freezer. She never profited.

I still have a batch my French Canadian Grandmother's Ragout and a large tourtiere well sealed from Christmas. they in fact are blatantly in your face once you open the freezer.

That's my take on dining establishments right now. Okay ,so the Lemon cello salmon fettuccine at the Vittori Tratorria is amazing, but at this exact moment I'm really into the home sliced cuisine staring at me from the freezer. that's a blue chip dining establishment if I ever did see one..Right here...Cheers

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Well, I can get all pretentious and rhyme of an assortment of dining establishments around Ottawa that I pretend to frequent while systematically dissecting their menu over a carafe of whatever their wine list leads me to that day. I assure you that some of the sesquipedalian folks on here would be on the qui vive over my menu choices.

Now getting real here, Razor's restaurant is the real deal.I'll tell you why..
Looking into my upright freezer I spy a large batch my sister's magic cabbage rolls and peroghies ..They are both my Polish mom's recipe (cabbage rolls..secret recipe ya right) She lives in Scarberia, and they are so good that my wife and I e-mailed her money for her to make and ship us a large batch of both to keep in our freezer. She never profited.

I still have a batch my French Canadian Grandmother's Ragout and a large tourtiere well sealed from Christmas. they in fact are blatantly in your face once you open the freezer.

That's my take on dining establishments right now. Okay ,so the Lemon cello salmon fettuccine at the Vittori Tratorria is amazing, but at this exact moment I'm really into the home sliced cuisine staring at me from the freezer. that's a blue chip dining establishment if I ever did see one..Right here...Cheers
I have three of my Mom's tourtières sitting in the freezer but they are at least three or four years old. I know I should probably toss them, but I can't bear to do it! I have the family recipe, so maybe I'll try to make some myself this year.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 4:59 PM

Dining out? In Waterloo (where else?), there's an app for that (from today's Record):

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/...ur-smartphone/

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 3:18 PM

I'd like to say I know of many cool restaurants, but the reality is that I am much more likely to he able to tell you where the nearest Subway/Wendys/Tim Hortons is. Screw it, omce I'm 30 I'll start caring about "health".

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 5:06 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

That's a great idea.

Not as sophisticated, but this one shocked me the first time I was there. The waitresses at Chafe's Landing in Petty Harbour use iPhones to take orders, and it all automatically flows to the kitchen staff, to the cash, etc. Far superior to any of the systems they use in the city.

http://ntv.ca/places-to-go-chafes-landing-2/

By the way: Chafe's Landing has, without a doubt, the best fish'n'chips available in the St. John's area. Leo's, near downtown, is second. The rest is generic, deep-fried crap with so much batter on it that it's like eating a loaf of bread.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 5:27 PM
sick transit, gloria

I assume we can just talk about awesome restaurants here? Haha

Went to a place called Ursa on a whim last night and was very impressed. Probably the best lamb I have had in recent memory. And homemade cheese with honeycomb for dessert (I almost never get dessert). I get the impression they change up the menu frequently depending on season and what is locally available. Great bartender and the server was incredibly knowledgable too, which is nice. http://www.torontolife.com/daily-dis...roducing-ursa/

On the way home picked up some beer from Bellwoods Brewery to round off the night. Probably the best brewery in Toronto and ranked one of the best new breweries in the world in 2013. They have good food too! Mostly for snacks. http://bellwoodsbrewery.com/

I spend entirely too much of my money eating out in Toronto and try to make it to as many good places as possible. It's hard considering how many are opening as of late - the food scene has really taken off here.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
I assume we can just talk about awesome restaurants here? Haha

Went to a place called Ursa on a whim last night and was very impressed. Probably the best lamb I have had in recent memory. And homemade cheese with honeycomb for dessert (I almost never get dessert). I get the impression they change up the menu frequently depending on season and what is locally available. Great bartender and the server was incredibly knowledgable too, which is nice. http://www.torontolife.com/daily-dis...roducing-ursa/

On the way home picked up some beer from Bellwoods Brewery to round off the night. Probably the best brewery in Toronto and ranked one of the best new breweries in the world in 2013. They have good food too! Mostly for snacks. http://bellwoodsbrewery.com/

I spend entirely too much of my money eating out in Toronto and try to make it to as many good places as possible. It's hard considering how many are opening as of late - the food scene has really taken off here.
I was struck by the comment in the Toronto Life review about Ursa bucking the trend toward "meaty comfort food". That is certainly the trend here in Waterloo Region (although, arguably, it was always part of our "schmecky" tradition!), to the point that one Uptown Waterloo place, Nick and Nat's Uptown 21 offers free bacon with every order "just because we love your decision"! http://www.uptown21.ca/PDA/

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 5:30 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

We're having a similar conversation on FB. Ayreonaut said this is his favourite restaurant in Calgary:

http://www.modelmilk.ca/

Looks good!

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
We're having a similar conversation on FB. Ayreonaut said this is his favourite restaurant in Calgary:

http://www.modelmilk.ca/

Looks good!
That place sounds great!

Today for me is gonna be Seven Lives for lunch while doing our groceries in Kensington: http://www.sevenlives.ca/

and then the new Mother's Dumplings on Danforth for dinner tonight. The Spadina location is legendary:

http://www.mothersdumplings.com/

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 6:34 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Unit View Post
That place sounds great!

Today for me is gonna be Seven Lives for lunch while doing our groceries in Kensington: http://www.sevenlives.ca/
Seven Lives is great! Best when it's warmer so you can enjoy them outside, although today isn't bad at all. For a sit-down taco place in Toronto I highly recommend La Carnita. It doesn't really try to be overly authentic and puts its own spin on things. Gets the recommendation of my friend from Mexico City and roommate who lived in California too haha.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 5:34 PM
sick transit, gloria

Model Milk was recommended to me when I was in Calgary over the Christmas break. Ended up going to NotABLE instead, which I HIGHLY recommend. http://notabletherestaurant.ca/

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 5:43 PM

I've always loved buffets, and Tuckers Market in Ottawa is my favourite one that I've ever been to.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middeljohn View Post
I've always loved buffets, and Tuckers Market in Ottawa is my favourite one that I've ever been to.
Free on your birthday..Bring loose fitting pants and work that buffet.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 6:20 PM

If you guys are ever in Oakville on a Sunday and find yourself hungry around noon, Stoney's Bread Company on Kerr St is possibly the best brunch place you'll ever go to.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 10:30 PM

Kingston has the greatest number of restaurants per capita in Canada. One of the great things about living there is there's so much good food everywhere. (Pity my budget doesn't permit me to explore them all, but I digress).

Izumo Sushi (http://www.izumokingston.com/) is probably my favourite restaurant in the entire world. It's in midtown Princess Street, an area of town that's a bit run down but set to gentrify, and looks quite unimpressive from the outside. It's run by a Japanese family of 3 and only has a few tables... but OMHAGOD is the sushi amazing. I've had sushi at dozens of restaurants all across the country and nothing even comes close. On their wall they have a letter from a foodie declaring Izumo to be "the best sushi east of the Rocky Mountains." DEFINITELY recommend next time anybody is in Kingston.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2014, 12:37 AM
Closed account

That reminds me kwoldtimer, the chef at the restaurant in Sturgeon Falls apparently worked at Langdon Hall in Cambridge prior to moving. I'm sure it must be good, but the whole jacket dress code thing kind of put me off going. Verses in Kitchener was really good the few times I went, but it's been awhile.

Mostly I like to get take out - Bread Head and Holy Guacamole, Melitsa's on Belmont, the Shwarma place on Highland between Belmont and Patricia, and Vincenzo's mostly. When I get together with my friends for lunch, it's usually between Lancaster Smokehouse and Ethel's Lounge. And after work get togethers seem to settle on either the Firkin (I have a lot of friends who work out of the Tannery) or otherwise Kick Off's (fantastic beer selection).

Old Posted Mar 9, 2014, 1:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_haak View Post
That reminds me kwoldtimer, the chef at the restaurant in Sturgeon Falls apparently worked at Langdon Hall in Cambridge prior to moving. I'm sure it must be good, but the whole jacket dress code thing kind of put me off going. Verses in Kitchener was really good the few times I went, but it's been awhile.

Mostly I like to get take out - Bread Head and Holy Guacamole, Melitsa's on Belmont, the Shwarma place on Highland between Belmont and Patricia, and Vincenzo's mostly. When I get together with my friends for lunch, it's usually between Lancaster Smokehouse and Ethel's Lounge. And after work get togethers seem to settle on either the Firkin (I have a lot of friends who work out of the Tannery) or otherwise Kick Off's (fantastic beer selection).
Langdon Hall is really in a league of its own, as it consistently ranks as one of the best restaurants (and inns) in Canada. The prices and formality are not for the faint of heart, however.
http://www.langdonhall.ca/Dinner

I haven't tried Verses, but most comments seem pretty favourable and the space inside an old church looks very nice. I don't really care for their thing of including "exotic" offerings like camel and kangaroo on the menu. Give me local every time!
http://versesrestaurant.ca/menu_2013/popups/dinner.html

Another top notch place in Kitchener (with prices to match) is Marisol on Ontario St. Very much a "chef's restaurant", although it looks like a dump from outside.
http://www.marisolrestaurante.ca/dinner

Other than that, we seem to frequent some of the same places. I used to go to the Firkin quite often, and I love the space and the huge bar, but haven't been for some time after some disappointing meals there. I know the shwarma place you mean on Highland - such a strange little suburban food mecca with the Afghan place, the Middle Eastern food store, the Portuguese bakery all in the same strip mall, with the Salvadoran and Ethiopian places just across the street!

Old Posted Mar 9, 2014, 2:02 AM

On the other hand, for a real Waterloo County "schmecky" experience, I'd recommend the Heidelberg, just a few minutes drive out of K-W. As undergrads we used to head out for a pitcher and some battered mushrooms. Their pigtails and ribs are pretty awesome and I swear the smoked pork hock is the size of a child's head! My arteries tighten up just thinking about it!

http://www.oldhh.com/rest.html

Old Posted Mar 9, 2014, 4:04 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Baristas from Calgary (from Phil & Sebastian coffee roasters specifically) have won the Canadian barista championship the last two years, and the 2012 winner, Jeremy Ho, came in 9th at the world championships. We have coffee scene in Calgary that is outstanding, and here (cut and pasted from my blog) is my Calgary coffee list:

A Ladybug Cafe is at 2132 Aspen Stone Blvd sources beans from Fernwood in Victoria. Ladybug sells marvelous pastries, baked goodies and crepes.

Analog Coffee is the cafe arm of Calgary’s suberb Fratello Coffee Roasters and they have two locations currently; the first cafe is at the Calgary Farmers’ Market and the second, which opened in November 2012, is at 740 17th Ave SW. It’s been a roaring success and brings a tonne of energy to what was already a dynamic stretch of 17th. They use Fratello beans of course and always have the option of their excellent Godfather blend or a single-origin espresso. There is also a pourover station with five filters for brewed coffee and sandwiches from Sidewalk Citizen Bakery. 17th Ave cafe is also better than gorgeous.

Baya Rica Cafe is at 204 7A St in Bridgeland, an area that has recently exploded with quality coffeehouses. Baya Rica is a roaster that sources beans exclusively from estates in Costa Rica, and they also have a comfy little cafe with a La Marzocco GB5 and snacks.

Bumpy’s has really helped to raise the bar in Calgary since its opening in September, 2005. A lot of people know it more for its excellent food (and rightly so), but coffeegeeks flock here for fantastic espresso prepared with an Elektra Kappa, with beans from Vancouver’s JJ Bean (they were the first place to source them in Calgary). Baristas are among the best in town; superb latte art, and this was the first place in town that showcased single-origin espressos. A class act.

Caffe Artigiano opened its first Calgary location and its first outside the Vancouver area at 332 6th Ave SW in the Centrium building. Beautiful, bright space with the same delicious sandwiches and other food (try the yogurt parfait and the superb sandwiches) as at Vancouver locations. This one has a four-group La Marzocco FB 80 and Calgary’s second Clover, and is open, heavens be praised, seven days a week, currently Sat and Sun 8-5, as well as weekday hours 6-6 M-W and 6-7 Th-F. As of January 2010 a second location is at Shell Centre, three blocks north of Centrium; hours are M-F, 6:30a-5:30p. Closed weekends, but Centrium is open 7 days.

Caffe Beano: as atmosphere goes, Beano might be the single best coffeehouse in North America, with ample hours (6a-midnight, seven days currently), great seating inside and out and atmosphere to burn. It’s always busy here, and it’s ground central for artists and the artistic in Calgary. Its house espresso from Fratello is on the dark side, but hey, some people like dark, and it’s nice to get it from Beano, made with care on a two-group Slayer (the first cafe in the WORLD to have a Slayer), with fresh beans to boot.

Caffe Rosso has three locations, in Ramsay, at the Telus Convention Centre downtown and in the Arriva condo tower in Victoria Park. Rosso started its own roasting program in 2012 and is now one of the best in the city. They pull gorgeous shots on Synessos and have epic, well-priced sammies too.

Communitea is actually a 1.5 hour jog west in Canmore, but in addition to being a beautiful, calming space with killer pastries, they were the first place near Calgary to buy (and drink) Chicago's Intelligentsia beans one of my faves. They pull shots with a Synesso Cyncra, a beautiful, beautiful thing.

De Ville Luxury Coffee and Pastries is on the second floor of the Art Central building on the NW corner of 7th Avenue and Centre Street in the heart of downtown Calgary, kitty-corner from the Hyatt, and they have a second location on the 1st St SW side of Fashion Central, just off Stephen Ave. They pull shots with a Synesso and were the first in Calgary proper to source Intelligentsia (no more having to drive to Communitea for it!). DeVille makes beautiful sandwiches.

Fuel For Gold is a food kiosk in the Mac Hall (U of Calgary) food court. In addition to sandwiches made with house-roasted meats, delicious salads and lovely pastries, they pull what is absolutely the best espressos on campus, using Phil & Sebastian beans and a three-group La Marzocco FB-80. A real blessing for those of who work at the U of C and love good coffee.

Gravity Espresso and Wine Bar is at 909 10 St SE in the Inglewood Art Block building and its beans are Phil & Sebastian. Big, beautiful space, and the first third-waver in the lovely old neighbourhood of Inglewood.

Java Jamboree in in Cochrane, which is a pretty cute NW suburb of Calgary with a twee but mostly authentic western-y town centre. But JJ is in a hideous strip mall and gives no indication of the glory inside. JJ was the first coffeehouse in Alberta, and the second in Canada, to purchase a Synesso. Beans are from Phil & Sebastian and Victoria’s Bows and Arrows. Latte art photos cover the walls, and there’s lots of coffee kit available and some very good, creative nosh.

Kawa Espresso Bar is a Beltline neighbourhood (directly south of downtown Calgary) venture for the folks at Java Jamboree (JJ and Kawa now have different owners, but the relationship between them is friendly). At 8th St and 14 Ave SW, and it’s all shiny glitz and uptown jazz versus the homey character of JJ. The equipment is the same top-notch assortment, with a Synesso and a Clover, and a combo of Elysian and Intelligentsia beans. Kawa is open late, until 11PM most days and until “close” on weekends when there’s always live entertainment and, often, a lineup out the door. Kawa is licenced and has a MASSIVE selection of craft beers.

Luke’s Drug Mart is a fixture in the lower reaches of Bridgeland, northeast of downtown, and they’ve installed a marvelous new espresso bar boasting the first cafe in Calgary to serve Portland’s revered Stumptown coffees. The espresso machine is a to-die-for La Marzocco Mistral.

Phil & Sebastian Coffee Roasters are peerless roasters and have what are arguably the best baristas in Canada–in fact, P&S baristas placed first and second at the 2012 Canadian National Barista Championship and won again in 2013 and they’re the gold standard for coffee in this country. P&S has been roasting its own coffee since 2009. Their shops are in Marda Loop, in the new wing of Chinook Centre, and in Mission at 4 St and 22 Ave SW; they also have a popup bar that is at Holt Renfrew for the Christmas season and makes appearances on Stephen Ave in the summertime as well as at the Calgary Folk Music Festival.

Postino opened last summer in a new apartment building near the U of C, at 2520 Capitol Hill Crescent NW. It’s a sunny spot about a 10 minute walk from my office. One their LM Linea they make espressos with beans from Anchored Coffee from Halifax, an amazing roaster started by former Calgarian Zane Kelsall and it’s great to see his influence here. Postino is licenced and sells, among other goodies, beers from Calgary’s Village Brewery.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada