HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 3:08 AM
Pro Urban Degenerate

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
McMaster doesn't own that land. The city does and leases it to them for a buck.
The city would need to work something out with MacMaster and purchase the property on the southwest corner of Hughson and Main.

Quote:
I'm not sure how you could fit buses turning around there though. It's a tight space.
The space for bus turn around in the diagram is approximately 1.5 times larger then the proposed HSR terminal on McNab. Buses would have no problem turning around and dropping off. This would be an ideal way for Hamilton's visitors/commuters to orient themselves with the public transit system while maintaining efficient service.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 3:44 PM
Closed account

well, I know one thing for sure. I won't be taking the B-Line to these games:

http://900chml.com/news/news_local.c...news_local.cfm

Old Posted Feb 9, 2008, 3:57 AM
Closed account

found an awesome website:

http://www.streetfilms.org/archives/...-livable-city/

this video is pretty long, but on the right you'll see others that are shorter.
I recommend the Ciclovia video from Bogota as well as the Bus Rapid Transit video from Bogota.
Having been there twice in a span of 3 years I was AMAZED at how different the city was. they have made great strides in Bogota that we need to learn from.
There's plenty of other sweet vids on here too.
At least watch the first 5 minutes of this Portland vid if you don't have time for the entire thing. It's awesome.
Hamilton has some serious catch-up to do. And we'll have even more to do tomorrow and the day after and the day after as we fall further and further behind.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2008, 3:48 PM
Closed account

found a good piece on the Metrolinx site today:

http://www.metrolinx.com/Client%20Do...Jan_25-08).pdf

Notice Figure 13a at the end and the final chart comparing various regions. Hamilton has all the foundational elements in place. Density, high ranking in every category except transit ridership (funny how that happens after 20 years of frittering away the system). We just need good planning and various governments to show us the money necessary to bring these plans to reality.
Also, this paper will be of interest for those engaged in the conversation about whether we should have 2 transit stations downtown or not.
It would make sense to have all of our transit come together in one fabulous hub.
The only way I could see the James North Station working is if it was strictly limited to VIA Rail and perhaps some GO Trains. In reality, all day GO Train service needs to come to Hunter St.
I would suggest a shuttle service in between stations running at a high frequency along Hughson St connecting the James North Station to the GO Station.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2008, 4:06 PM
It's Hammer Time

If you read the last page it hints LRT is coming to Hamilton.....

Old Posted Feb 9, 2008, 4:12 PM
Closed account

hey, sorry everyone but I really think you'll all LOVE this video so I wanted to link it directly:

http://www.streetfilms.org/archives/...ransit-bogota/

Notice a few things:

- modern stations big enough to hold lots of people and with sliding glass doors, level boarding etc...
- awesome bike parking integrated.
- technology used to monitor the system.

This is a great vid.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2008, 4:13 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
If you read the last page it hints LRT is coming to Hamilton.....

oh yea! I 'm glad you said that. I was going to put that in my original post, but forgot to.
Yea, here's hoping there are some good discussions going on behind the scenes.
Keep emailing the HSR, Metrolinx and the mayor!

Old Posted Feb 9, 2008, 4:43 PM
Closed account

^^ Sweet! Well Mayor Fred is our Rep on the Metrolinx Board, right? And I'm pretty sure he favours LRT as well? So I'm sure he's been talking-up Metrolinx re: LRT for Hamilton.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2008, 5:02 PM
Pro Urban Degenerate

It is quite incredible that Downtown Hamilton has the third highest gross density in the region without having any rapid transit. Getting rapid transit downtown Hamilton is long long overdue.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2008, 5:39 PM
It's Hammer Time

Here's a peek of where all the growth will be at over the next 30 years.

Regional Jobs/People Density 2001

Regional Jobs/People Density 2031

Most of the growth will be in Hamilton Hamilton and Hamilton Mountain.

Apparently Hamilton Harbour goes yellow lol, probably jobs or something.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2008, 6:17 PM
Closed account

^^ Maybe that's the actual colour the water will turn? hahaha

I'm glad to see both Downtown Hamilton AND Burlington will grow rather than green-field Hamilton & Burlington!

Old Posted Feb 9, 2008, 7:25 PM
Closed account

keep in mind, this is the provincial places to grow act.
The city of Hamilton is planning on at least 60% of its residential growth and from what I can tell, almost all of it's job growth happening on greenfields.
I'd love to see this 2031 map held up against reality in 2031. Unless the province starts mandating good planning, this will never happen.
I've recently read great articles about Durham Region, Markham, Vaughan, Mississuaga, Oakville all developing great plans for high density (not townhomes, like we call high density here) developments with condos, lofts, live-work, townhomes, walkable streets, street retail/dining, enhanced green space, offices/jobs all in master planned communities.
Hamilton will be left behind to rot if we don't start electing people with at least half a brain. If rotten, low density, car dependant burbs like the ones above can do it, we certainly can. city hall just doesn't care. plain and simple.
As long as our civic administration is controlled by the closed door, secret meeting mobsters that currently runs things, we'll miss out on a LOT of people and jobs.

By the way, I've got some ideas for transit...while downtown today I took a meander around and came up with some thoughts. Also, downtown was friggin hopping today. Jackson, the Market, little shops I went in to on Cannon, Acclamation (I stopped in for lunch). Was great to see such bustling activity on a rainy Saturday. The big retailers need to be brought in to observe our downtown in action.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2008, 7:27 PM
Closed account

one more thing - Hamiltons' job creation plan focuses almost exclusively on areas that are supposed to be the second lightest shade of yellow in 2031 - Glanbrook, Ancaster, Airport, Hwy 5/6, QEW Stoney Creek. If I knew how to shade maps like that I'd post my own version of what I expect to happen if we maintain the status quo.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2008, 7:50 PM
Closed account

^^ The thing is, rth, even a decade from now these baby-boomers who currently run our city will have long-retired making way for the new generations of progressive, green thinkers to take over.

I'm not dogging on baby-boomers, but the majority of the ones I know seem to be set in their ways and seem to think it's the only way life can function.

However, once my generation and the generations after me (or even the generation before me) take over this city, things will be a lot different and this map may actually be accurate!

Old Posted Feb 9, 2008, 8:09 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC83 View Post
^^ The thing is, rth, even a decade from now these baby-boomers who currently run our city will have long-retired making way for the new generations of progressive, green thinkers to take over.

I'm not dogging on baby-boomers, but the majority of the ones I know seem to be set in their ways and seem to think it's the only way life can function.

However, once my generation and the generations after me (or even the generation before me) take over this city, things will be a lot different and this map may actually be accurate!

I tell myself that all the time! It's our only hope!
Boomers have lived their entire lives being catered to and pampered like little babies. I'm not sure how willing they will be to retire and 'get out of the way'.
We might actually have to wait (not to be morbid) for them to start passing away. By my count, that's still a few decades away. Can we wait that long??

Old Posted Feb 10, 2008, 8:16 AM

Quote:

actually, that is a two-way street in Vancouver. I assume it's in the suburbs given the huge width. The grass median blocks your view of the opposing traffic.
Regardless, I agree. Take that half of the street and use it as an example for LRT.
Don't quote me on this, but I think the lanes for LRT could be even narrower than those bus lanes above. Buses usually need a bit of extra room since they aren't fixed on a rail.
The fact is, we could do LRT easily here. Sadly, our city hall is still stuck in the 50's. And proud of it too!
That busway is actually in Richmond, which is right outside the City of Vancouver. It's one of Metro Vancouver's booming suburbs. And that street is called No.3 Road, the "main street" in Richmond that is the city's core.

The City of Richmond spent something like $100 million to reconfigure the entire street for bus lanes, for the 98 B-Line rapid transit bus route between Downtown Vancouver, the airport, and Richmond City Centre. But the entire busway was demolished in 2005-2006 to make way for the SkyTrain Canada Line elevated guideway and stations.

No.3 Road during the busway era:

Construction commences in 2005 for the Canada Line, beginning with demolition:

The same street today:

Old Posted Feb 10, 2008, 8:31 AM
Hammer'd

Wow that is harsh. What a step back.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Feb 10, 2008, 12:59 PM
Closed account

Vancouver, imo, is the most progressive "green" city I know of... but I hate how obsessed it is with the Skytrain.
I've been on the Scarborough RT several times and it's horrible. From my understanding, the Skytrain is similar if not the same. I LOVE the design of the new trains being made for 2010,

http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/photo_galler...ada-Line-4.jpg

but still am not a fan of elevated "tracks" or monorail'esq rapid transit systems.

The talks around Hamilton through the 90's were for Monorail... I'm SO happy that never came to be, and can only imagine street-level Light Rail for this City!
Thanks for the info though, MrX... very interesting. And I can't wait til 2010! Definately a very exciting time for all of Canada!

Old Posted Feb 10, 2008, 2:03 PM
Closed account

yea, that's weird. Why not just run the train right on the same lanes that used to be for the BRT?? Leave all the trees and flowers etc....
Obviously the train is a step up from BRT, but doing it overhead like that and creating an ugly street would seem to be a step back.
Great info though.
I really hope Hamilton pursues street level LRT. Would revolutionize this city like most people can't fathom unless you've experienced the before/after - effects in a place like Portland or Denver.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2008, 3:36 PM
It's Hammer Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x2 View Post
The City of Richmond spent something like $100 million to reconfigure the entire street for bus lanes, for the 98 B-Line rapid transit bus route between Downtown Vancouver, the airport, and Richmond City Centre.
Do you happen know to how many km the buslane is? Thanks for the information.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure