HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardo44 View Post
So, BP is the newest announcement. As it stands now, this spring/summer will see significant chains like BP, Hooters & Jack Astor's all open up new locations in Downtown St John's.

As a twice annual visitor to Mount Pearl (in-laws), I think that the local bars & restaurants in & around George St, Water St & Duckworth St are what makes trips into Downtown great. What do some of you local residents think? Should the chains stay to the suburbs in St John's? Are the chains a welcome addition into downtown and is there room for more?
People complain about chains going downtown, but I don't understand why and what people expect. While it's nice to see local restaurants, it is not an easy busy to get into. And while I'm sure there are many tourists who like going to local restaurants I'm sure there are many who also like the idea of going to a place they know.

There really aren't that many chains downtown anyways.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2014, 7:09 PM

A plan to develop the Irving site on Commonweath Avenue in Mount Pearl has been submitted which proposes tearing down a small portion of the building in order to create a drive through for a fast food restaurant and/or coffee shop that will occupy the currently unused portion of the building. This is a great site for such a development as it has a rather large unused parking lot and is in a great location. These Irving/Circle K/fast food combos have proved very successful in and around the city. Torbay Road has Burger King, Stavanger has Starbucks in the lot and KFC soon to be attached, Paradise has Quiznos, Topsail Road has Mary Brown's and Kilbride has Tim Hortons.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2014, 7:11 PM

A new Starbucks and a Milestones restaurant are planned for the site next to Harvey's Restaurant on Torbay Road at Hebron Way.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2014, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmemeadusjr View Post
A new Starbucks and a Milestones restaurant are planned for the site next to Harvey's Restaurant on Torbay Road at Hebron Way.
my goodness, Starbucks is really taking off up in that end of town lol. That'll be the one by the gas station, one on Target, another one at Hebron Way and there was talk that Cineplex has them in their new theatres and one is/was planned for the new Cineplex in that area.

Then again, I did hear from someone who knows Starbucks management that they are going to have an aggressive expansion plan for the St. John's area.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2014, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
my goodness, Starbucks is really taking off up in that end of town lol. That'll be the one by the gas station, one on Target, another one at Hebron Way and there was talk that Cineplex has them in their new theatres and one is/was planned for the new Cineplex in that area.

Then again, I did hear from someone who knows Starbucks management that they are going to have an aggressive expansion plan for the St. John's area.
Starbucks must love to stack their stores on top of one another Just like how their two Kenmount Road locations are practically neighbours.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2014, 9:02 PM

I also heard (but not confirmed) that Starbucks plans on going into the old Rogers Video building at Pearlgate too. That would be a good location as there aren't any in that area of the city yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post

Old Posted Feb 23, 2014, 9:41 PM

Another Starbucks going on Hebron Way seems very odd. You might be able to see the one on Stavanger from it.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2014, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
Another Starbucks going on Hebron Way seems very odd. You might be able to see the one on Stavanger from it.
It's odd yes, but that hasn't stopped Tim Hortons from doing the same thing. They could be serious about trying to compete with Tims in the city.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2014, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
It's odd yes, but that hasn't stopped Tim Hortons from doing the same thing. They could be serious about trying to compete with Tims in the city.
Well this would make three in the Stavanger Drive area. Though Tim's does have two in the vicinity.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2014, 4:56 AM

This photo from KMK has the title "Starbucks" printed on the building render that sits next to Harvey's. I guess this will be where it ends up.

http://kmkcapital.ca/wp-content/uplo...te-3D-view.jpg

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 1:41 AM

I'd like to give an early plug for Legros & Motti. I ate there with my partner from her work invite, and it was great. I know this is a bit of a moment to show off, but the food/service/atmosphere kind of took me aback. Sitting on the 2nd level (over what will soon be Jack Astor's) offers a really nice view over the water and Harbour Drive.

Not sure when the official opening is, but the inside looks completely finished. The only thing that made me remember it wasn't officially opened were a few boxes in the porch.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 11:50 AM
Millennial Ascendancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRoome View Post
I'd like to give an early plug for Legros & Motti. I ate there with my partner from her work invite, and it was great. I know this is a bit of a moment to show off, but the food/service/atmosphere kind of took me aback. Sitting on the 2nd level (over what will soon be Jack Astor's) offers a really nice view over the water and Harbour Drive.

Not sure when the official opening is, but the inside looks completely finished. The only thing that made me remember it wasn't officially opened were a few boxes in the porch.
My roommate did a walkthrough of the building, and while he hasn't tried the food, he was VERY impressed with the atmosphere. Really excited about the bar in particular; apparently they are trying to make a classier space for people to have a few drinks. I'm all for that.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 11:59 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
This photo from KMK has the title "Starbucks" printed on the building render that sits next to Harvey's. I guess this will be where it ends up.

http://kmkcapital.ca/wp-content/uplo...te-3D-view.jpg
*Shudder* I can't believe we're still proceeding with this type of urban planning.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 12:00 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:

Fantastic news! Next forum meet there, for sure.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
*Shudder* I can't believe we're still proceeding with this type of urban planning.
Agreed. That amount of asphalt is sickening.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copes View Post
My roommate did a walkthrough of the building, and while he hasn't tried the food, he was VERY impressed with the atmosphere. Really excited about the bar in particular; apparently they are trying to make a classier space for people to have a few drinks. I'm all for that.
The restaurant is doing dry runs this weekend, My brother is a cook there and my girlfriend is a waitress. From the responses from them its going to be a one of a kind restaurant in this city. Majority of there food is made from scratch right there like the pasta noodles are made right in from of you, same with deserts. I haven't heard one bad complaint about the food yet.

On a side note anyone notice the fuel tank at the keg, all the controversy over nothing. I drive down on harbor drive every day and barley notice it half the time.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 1:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravelley View Post

On a side note anyone notice the fuel tank at the keg, all the controversy over nothing. I drive down on harbor drive every day and barley notice it half the time.
I was thinking about that this morning driving down Harbour Drive. It looks nicer than some buildings in that area. Not a big deal.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 1:37 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Yeah, I too was surprised at how relatively inconspicuous it is.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 1:46 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

BTW, any idea what the prices will be like at Legros & Motti? Their website has a full menu, but doesn't mention prices.

I hope it's not a case of "If you have to ask..."

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 2:11 PM

I was at the Keg last night but was able to park next to Legros. From what I could see of the interior (which to be fair wasn't much) it looks amazing. I would guess prices would probably be near typical downtown restaurant prices (30-40 dollars for a main meal)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's