HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
The *new* fascade of former Corydon Vacuum (at Lilac) looks terrible.

Part stucco, part brick.

No design intelligence whomever did that.

And there's another one next door or so.

Also that old conv. store is boarded up. Wonder what it's gonna turn into?
Convenience store at Corydon/Lilac? Wait, Food Fare? Is closed?

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 7:11 PM

Quote:
The *new* fascade of former Corydon Vacuum (at Lilac) looks terrible.

Part stucco, part brick.

No design intelligence whomever did that.

And there's another one next door or so.

Also that old conv. store is boarded up. Wonder what it's gonna turn into?
Not clear what you're getting at here, but the Corydon Vacuum building facade has always been part stucco, part brick? The space was recently taken over by what looks like a great local business, The Cheesemongers, who did some exterior as well as, I'm sure, interior improvements. Very sorry it's not up to your standards. :/

On the topic of new businesses on Corydon, a hipster dude-oriented barber shop has opened in what I think is one of Corydon's finest buildings, which was lately a clothing boutique, Normandy, which closed down a couple of years ago.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 12:21 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
No, the other former smaller one east.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Quote:
No, the other former smaller one east.
Across from Saffrons. Shindico has had an "office redevelopment" sign on it for years with what looks like a stock render of a building that could be anywhere.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Across from Saffrons. Shindico has had an "office redevelopment" sign on it for years with what looks like a stock render of a building that could be anywhere.
this? http://www.shindico.com/index.php/se...venue-winnipeg

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 10:58 PM

Yup^

Old Posted Mar 3, 2018, 6:46 PM

Sounds like some exciting new tenants are being lined up for the main level of the Osborne Village Inn. Like, two restaurants with a shared eating area (including one that already has a very popular suburban location), and then some kind of shared workspace on the second level, which would be great for the area.

That building has been such a dump from the outside for so long, and really doesn't add to the street life by its design, but hopefully they can make some improvements to the exterior.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2018, 9:09 PM

^Are you referring to Pizzeria Gusto?

Because they were part of the original plan. Was supposed to be a PG there on the main floor with a bocce bar in the basement. But to my knowledge they have backed away from the whole debacle here.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2018, 7:15 PM

Anyone heard updates on Second Cup yet? Still looks like nothing is happening in there. did the building sell yet?

--

Also, I have to say, the balconies and main floor finishings on the 24/7 Condos made it turn out way nicer than it was looking like. The fake wood panelling still looks cheap when you look close, but I like the way they finished it in the end. Lighting on the main floor looks great.

Last edited by buzzg; Mar 4, 2018 at 7:27 PM.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 6:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardlow View Post
Sounds like some exciting new tenants are being lined up for the main level of the Osborne Village Inn. Like, two restaurants with a shared eating area (including one that already has a very popular suburban location), and then some kind of shared workspace on the second level, which would be great for the area.
Great to hear. Walked by it a couple days ago and it's looking even rougher than ever -- graffiti etc

With all the closed storefronts (Second Cup, Ward 1, Luxe and Charm, Smitten, Desart, TD Bank, etc) that area could really use a win

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 2:37 PM

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 3:13 PM

She sounds like she has no idea what's going on. Made sure to get in as many relevant buzzwords as possible.

I also personally don't think that foot patrols are needed in OV — haven't really agreed with a lot of the "unsafe" hyperbole they've been putting out the last year. Is there homeless people in the Village? Yes, always has been. For the most part, they're always nice and usually there busking. Never been hassled in the Village the way I am often downtown – and even that doesn't bother me if someone asks for money. Fact of life, happens everywhere.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 3:16 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
With all the closed storefronts (Second Cup, Ward 1, Luxe and Charm, Smitten, Desart, TD Bank, etc) that area could really use a win
Has Ward1 closed?

I tried it out last Fall. Had a bit to go before being a place I want to visit again.

The issue is that there is nothing really to look at across the street, so if someone has an attractive storefront across from former Basils then its gonna turn into a "be there" space.

I define "be there space" as something like Stella's at Plug-In where there's something to see out the window -- the Investors Group bldg., The Bay, pedestrian traffic passing by, the Holiday Inn bldg. etc...Lots of lighting at that corner. I'm almost reminded of Church/King in downtown Toronto.

Across the street from Ward1 is/was the Smitten sign in "hot pink"... Wow, gee...big deal. And their marketing name "Ward1", sounds too political. Just like the "Dead Fish" or whatever it was further down the block...that failed too. Poor choices for restaurant names.

Last edited by LilZebra; Mar 16, 2018 at 3:30 PM.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 3:19 PM

Ya Ward 1 lasted like 2 months. That space is just massive and expensive – that's why it's failed several times. Also, I didn't hear a single good thing about it.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2018, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Ya Ward 1 lasted like 2 months. That space is just massive and expensive – that's why it's failed several times. Also, I didn't hear a single good thing about it.
You can not have a massive space and from the onset cater t a very specific crowd.It needed to be more general. Everyone is trying so hard to be stand out different. Not everyone can tolerate spicy foods. Blackened creole foosd might do well in a small space, grow the business once it proves it works..like Stella's etc..
Not one of my colleagues, family, friends neighbors went.
One acquaintance did and hated it.
It might be a good idea to open up a few places with a throw back time of menu as people are not going to support a specialty place that large.
A restaurant like for example that worked in terms of food choices.., Papa G catered to many tastes. Just saying...Sorry but only so many exotic eateries can be supported and a large one like Ward ! was doomed when I saw the menu.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2018, 11:18 PM

I don't know how you can open a Creole/NOLA-themed restaurant and not serve gator. Immediately wrote it off. Also the rent there is extremely high.

Would love for the city to sell off its lot next door that I don't know how hasn't been deemed surplus. Could be a great development opportunity there, and possibly coupled with the Basils/Rabbit/Ward site. That property is now owned by the same investor that bought the rest of Basil's buildings (which are currently being reno'd), so will be interesting to see what they do with the site. That's a big piece of property on prime land to have a 1-storey, single occupant building that has struggled to hold a tenant for over a decade...

Old Posted Mar 25, 2018, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKGUY View Post
You can not have a massive space and from the onset cater t a very specific crowd.It needed to be more general. Everyone is trying so hard to be stand out different. Not everyone can tolerate spicy foods. Blackened creole foosd might do well in a small space, grow the business once it proves it works..like Stella's etc..
Not one of my colleagues, family, friends neighbors went.
One acquaintance did and hated it.
It might be a good idea to open up a few places with a throw back time of menu as people are not going to support a specialty place that large.
A restaurant like for example that worked in terms of food choices.., Papa G catered to many tastes. Just saying...Sorry but only so many exotic eateries can be supported and a large one like Ward ! was doomed when I saw the menu.
Fair, but isn’t that what Black Rabbit was? The menu was decent but fairly standard fare. Still couldn’t make it at that spot.

Is the rent just so high that no new restaurant can make it there outside of an established franchise / brand?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 3:43 AM

the new infill in the village is in a oneupmanship competition for weirdest use of hardie board... from a proposal for a 6-unit build on Scott st

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 2:28 PM

I don't mind it – if you're going to use it, at least make it interesting. I like the blue and pattern on Village Junction. Also the Synergy buildings turned out pretty nice. A lot better than the grey on the one that finished on River last year.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2018, 2:24 AM

Wasabi Sushi Bistro on Osborne is for sale:

"1B//Winnipeg/Well know sushi restaurant in heart of Osborn Village. Established over 19 years and the current owner operating for the past 6 years. Large size dining rooms, licensed with lounge. About 2170 sqft and 84 seating capacity. The current rent is 4200 per month including water and hydro. Also owner will train the right buyer. Call for more details or to arrange a tour."

listing

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan