HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 27, 2010, 6:40 PM

I don't know where you get this B.S. only 6000 season ticket sales the lions had 22,000 just last year confirmed by their team vice pres.get your facts right before you just spout off jiberish. Here is last year's article confirming that:

Ticket-sales drop put at 10 per cent
The Province
Friday, May 29, 2009
Page: A70
Section: Sports
Byline: Lowell Ullrich
Source: The Province
The analogy used on the business side of the Lions these days is in direct contrast to the part of the CFL team that is set to hold its first full training camp session in just over a week.

"We're in our playoffs right now," said business vice-president George Chayka. And in that context, the Lions are currently out of a postseason berth.

Noting the Lions are no more immune to the economic recession than any other business, Chayka said on a conference call Thursday that for the first time in six years the club anticipates a drop in its season-ticket base.

The projected shortfall is 10 per cent, which would leave the club with roughly 22,000 season-ticket-equivalent plans, a different picture than the club presented during its last financial update in January.

Weighed against the downturn is the fact the club projects a slight increase in revenue, owing in part to restructured ticket prices and sales of all but 200 of 1,341 new club seats.

And the club's prime selling season, or playoffs if you will, is set to begin next week. Another boost is possible when 15 new suites, in-seat touch-screen club section ordering devices and improved washrooms and scoreboards are unveiled through the coming season at B.C. Place Stadium.

"We're going through a transition year in regards to the building, and given the renovations combined with the economy, we're not going to be far off revenues," said Chayka.

The club's marketing campaign, which starts Monday, takes on a culinary theme this year. The tag line: Come watch our opponents eat it.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2010, 6:42 PM
Dont let the name fool u

Absolutely. 6000 season tickets was maybe at the low point before David Brailey
bought the team. The late Bob Ackles stated in the past the Lions had build their season ticket base in and around 20 000. Just by looking at attendance in 2008, they averaged 34000. Last year, the team struggled a bit, the economy and with the Olympics coming resulted in an average of 28000.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2010, 12:09 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOFEAR View Post
Or you could stop throwing around random numbers and make a much more educated guess.
I'm not throwing around random numbers. I'm explaining why number of accounts isn't the same thing as number of seasons tickets. I you trying to tell me that it's not important to make a distinction between the two?

Old Posted Apr 28, 2010, 12:12 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
I don't know where you get this B.S. only 6000 season ticket sales...
That guy misread that 'The Province' article in post #285 of 6,000 accounts to mean 6,000 season tickets. Your post should clear things up for people.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2010, 1:28 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
That guy misread that 'The Province' article in post #285 of 6,000 accounts to mean 6,000 season tickets. Your post should clear things up for people.
Yeah, that was my error. Mind you, I'd assume it to be a simple one to make.

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2010, 3:22 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distill3d View Post
Yeah, that was my error. Mind you, I'd assume it to be a simple one to make.
I imagine lots of people wanted clarification on that point.

Old Posted May 1, 2010, 9:35 PM

Some preliminary designs for Ottawa's proposed stadium have been released. I really like it and hopefully this project will be voted through next month.

Some preliminary renderings from www.ottawacitizen.com

Quote:
Early stadium design wins kudos from panel
By Don Butler , The Ottawa Citizen May 1, 2010

Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/...#ixzz0miSY8std

If Rob Claiborne has his way, a sculpted “stadium in the park” will replace the rotting hulk of Frank Clair stadium by 2013.

Claiborne is the architect chosen to design the stadium as part of the redevelopment of Lansdowne Park. He works for Cannon Design, the firm behind the much-admired Olympic Oval in Richmond, B.C.

His conceptual design for the new Frank Clair stadium has already won kudos from experts on the review panel overseeing the design of the Lansdowne Park plan.

George Dark, the renowned urban designer who chairs the panel, calls Claiborne’s design “quite cool. There’s quite an imaginative stadium being cooked up here.”

Another panel member, Rick Haldenby, the head of the University of Waterloo’s architecture school, is even more effusive.

If Claiborne’s design is accepted by city council on June 23, Haldenby says, “it’s going to be an instant architectural feature in Canada — the most interesting stadium in Canada by far.”

Claiborne knows he’s got something special. He describes his design, which he’s been working on since December, as a “gift to the city of Ottawa. I’m just thrilled, because people seem to be enjoying it.”

Its most striking feature is a sinuous $7.5-million “veil” of glued laminated Alaskan yellow cedar that rises up from behind new southside stands and curls over the top, creating a flowing system of enclosure and roofing.

Claiborne uses the same veil motif at the entrances to the northside stands. It recurs as well behind the end zone scoreboard, creating a bandstand that could be used during outdoor concerts in Lansdowne Park’s proposed “front lawn” urban park.

“I always saw this project being done in wood,” Claiborne says, proudly showing off his plans in Cannon Design’s 12th floor offices overlooking University Avenue in Toronto.

In part it’s a reference to Ottawa’s lumber-town past, but it also fits Claiborne’s daring concept of a stadium in the park. To do that, he says, “you have to be much more natural.”

Claiborne chose Alaskan yellow cedar for the veil because it withstands the weather well.

“It will turn a beautiful silvery colour over time, but in all our conversations with the manufacturers, they’re quite comfortable that this will maintain its structural integrity.”

In Claiborne’s design, the southside stands seem to emerge organically from a steep grassy berm that rises seven metres from the Queen Elizabeth Driveway. “You can actually see the park bending up, merging into the stadium,” the architect says.

It’s all part of his concept of “laminar space, a space that literally flows. The parklands become sculpted, undulating, flowing. That became really important to me.”

The wooden frames of the veil are part of that idea of flow, he says. At the concourse level of the southside stands, the public can walk or ride bicycles right through the veil, even on game days.

“Typically a stadium’s going to have a very clear border, a buffer,” Claiborne says. “There’s a public side, and there’s a stadium side. Not the case here. It’s not just lip service about being in the park. It is in the park.”

Lansdowne Park, he says, has never really been a park. “It was a fairgrounds, it was a carnival site, it was a series of venues, but it was never actually parkland. Now, for the first time, it’s a park.”

To improve spectator sightlines and enhance the stadium’s bowl appearance, Claiborne proposes to lower the current playing field by about one metre. “That one’s still a cost issue,” he cautions, “because it’s expensive to lower the field.”

On a pragmatic level, lowering the field makes it easier to widen it to 75 yards, the standard for FIFA soccer games. The current field is only 70 yards wide.

Under Claiborne’s plan, the remaining southside stands — Dark describes them as a “hideous lump” — would be demolished and replaced by new stands. The existing northside stands would stay, but get a retrofit.

New wider seats would be installed and the heavy metal roof would be replaced by the same translucent fabric used on the southside roof.

Claiborne is considering two possible suppliers for the roof fabric. His preferred choice is a German-Italian company called Vector Foiltec, which made the clear exterior panels for the Beijing Olympics’ aquatic centre, dubbed the Water Cube.

The stadium would have seating for 24,000 — 13,000 in the northside stands and 11,000 in the southside. It would offer three levels of seating — general, club seats and seats in 28 box suites.

For events such as the Grey Cup, temporary end zone seats could be installed, raising the stadium’s capacity to 45,000. Otherwise, the end zones would be grassy berms where people could sit or enjoy a picnic.

Claiborne’s plan calls for a two-storey retail component that would provide improved entrances to the arena and enclose the mammoth steel frames on the north facade of the Civic Centre.

Those sloping steel frames disrupt the view of the Aberdeen Pavilion, with its soft curves, Claiborne explains. “The second you put a vertical face here, it calms the entire vista.”

While the arena, home to the Ottawa 67’s, needs considerable work to address a long list of mechanical, electrical and structural problems, its design would remain essentially unchanged.

“If we turn it into a first-class arena,” Claiborne says, “the ticket prices have to go up considerably. The Ottawa 67’s are a very successful club, but they would be less successful if they had to double their ticket price.”

So far, Claiborne says cost estimates for the project are on target. “We have a budget of $85 million, not a penny more, for the stadium,” he says. “We’re right where we should be.” (The price tag rises to $110 million when “soft costs” such as professional fees are included.)

Dark says Claiborne’s thinking is “quite magical. He’s a smart guy.” Based on the design work he’s seen, Dark says the new stadium has the potential to rival the Richmond Oval as an iconic Canadian sporting venue.

Claiborne isn’t entirely at ease with the word icon, though. “An icon carries so much gravity with it. I would be more comfortable if this was a building people looked at and just had a comfortable, warm feeling about. If it was close to being universally liked, that would make me happy.”

Before joining Cannon Design about a year ago, Claiborne, a California native, worked for years for acclaimed architect Daniel Libeskind. He’s also an adjunct professor at McGill University’s school of architecture.

He’s acutely aware of the controversy surrounding the Lansdowne project.

He has relatives in Old Ottawa South — the area, along with the Glebe, where opposition to the redevelopment is concentrated — “and they hate me. They think I’m the devil because I’m working on Lansdowne Park.”

But Claiborne is hoping opposition will abate once people see his design. “Good architecture can be a great appeasement for everybody. People can actually enjoy it. And that’s the goal.

“It’s a building for the people. I’ve never lost sight of that for a second.”

For now, Claiborne’s stadium is just a concept on paper. But he’s optimistic that by 2013, it will be home to a new Ottawa CFL team.

“I go home every weekend and I’m having a glass of wine with my wife and I say, ‘Carolyn, you’re not going to believe this. This might actually get built’.”

© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

Old Posted May 1, 2010, 10:17 PM
Youth of a Nation

That looks a lot better then the previous design. I noticed that there is no higher level above the Civic Center my guess so there is no weight above.

Old Posted May 2, 2010, 6:44 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
The stadium is hosting the 2010 IAAF World Junior Championships in Athletics........the track facility will be "world class" or at least will completely meet current specifications for hosting a world championship event. I am fully cognisant of the fact that the stadium itself does not compare to the "Bird's Nest" in Beijing.

On a more serious note........

If the CFL brand is to be promoted in Canada, it makes sense to me that an effort should be made to locate teams and franchises in such a manner that it becomes convenient for the vast majority of Canadians to be able to commute to see a game. This would make the CFL far more relevant to more Canadians. An eight team league just doesn't cut it. Even a 12 team league I think would be insufficient.

I think that over time, an effort should be made to expand the CFL to at least 16 teams.

Proposal:

Eastern Conference

Atlantic Division
- Halifax
- Moncton
- Quebec City
- Montreal

Central Division
- Ottawa
- Toronto
- Hamilton
- London

Western Conference

Prairie Division
- Winnipeg
- Saskatoon
- Regina
- Edmonton

Pacific Division
- Calgary
- Kelowna
- Vancouver
- Victoria

A configuration such as this probably would allow 90% of the Canadian population to be within a two hour drive of a franchise city.

What better way to build the league franchise than by having it more accessible to more Canadians.
Don't know about the others but I can GUARANTEE that London will never support a CFL team. Québec plus Halifax or Moncton (I want Hali!).. perfect! Move Winnipeg over to the west and you have the ideal, 5 west, 5 east.

Ottawa = FAIL! Nobody cares about Ottawa!

Last edited by habfanman; May 2, 2010 at 6:53 AM. Reason: had to dis Ottawa

Old Posted May 2, 2010, 5:50 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfanman View Post

Oh I dunno, I'm pretty sure the region's 1,000,000+ inhabitants do...

Putz.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted May 3, 2010, 9:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfanman View Post
Right... anything else you're so passionate about?

Old Posted May 3, 2010, 3:37 PM

Quote:
That's a great attitude to have about your closest neighbour. An Ottawa CFL franchise would mean the potential for a great rivalry between Ottawa and Montreal and is something that many people here in our region and accross Canada are pushing for. The league needs to expand and before going to a place like Moncton, a risky endeavour if there ever has been one, they should probably start here in the 4th largest CMA in the country! I care and here's 2000 more Facebook fans that care as well: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...gid=9372285378

Old Posted May 3, 2010, 4:25 PM
DRINK

How about some objectivity from you ottawa people...I know there were lots of underlying problems with issues like the stadium and the glibermans....but you still went through two failed franchises in the last 20 years.

Ottawa is not a slam dunk.

Old Posted May 3, 2010, 4:52 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Town Hockey View Post
That's a great attitude to have about your closest neighbour. An Ottawa CFL franchise would mean the potential for a great rivalry between Ottawa and Montreal and is something that many people here in our region and accross Canada are pushing for. The league needs to expand and before going to a place like Moncton, a risky endeavour if there ever has been one, they should probably start here in the 4th largest CMA in the country! I care and here's 2000 more Facebook fans that care as well: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...gid=9372285378
While I agree Ottawa should get a probationary franchise, I would rather see a team in Halifax or Moncton over a market that has failed twice. Plus, 3 year old Facebook group with 2,092 fans isn't going to get you a CFL team. I just don't think you could take that to the CFL and say "here you go!" and they'll grant you a CFL team. If it was like 100,000 people interested, it may be taken a bit more seriously.

Old Posted May 3, 2010, 4:54 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOFEAR View Post
How about some objectivity from you ottawa people...I know there were lots of underlying problems with issues like the stadium and the glibermans....but you still went through two failed franchises in the last 20 years.

Ottawa is not a slam dunk.
I think it has been demonstrated in the fairly recent past that 20,000 to 25,000 people will show up and pay for CFL football roughly ten times a year in Ottawa.

Though this doesn't mean other cities wouldn't be able to achieve this given the chance, aside from Ottawa there isn't any other non-CFL city in the country that can currently make this claim.

Old Posted May 3, 2010, 4:59 PM

Ottawa would be successful if they didn't always have idiots for owners.

Old Posted May 3, 2010, 5:00 PM
Dont let the name fool u

My two cents, for what ever it's worth. Ottawa didn't fail twice. The Rough Riders (no stupid jokes please) were there from 1876 to 1996, 120 years. That's not a failure. They were ran into the ground by poor management. Ditto with the new team, the Gliebermans should never own a CFL team. They were awful and their president (Brad Waters?) is notorious for killing sports franchises.

People seem to forget football has also failed in Montreal, now the Als are the richest team in the league. They had a massive crowd for their Grey Cup parade, and football at the grass root level is incredibly popular.

Lastly, that new render is really nice. I can't wait for Ottawa to rejoin the CFL. It's a bit funny that there's no Canadian Football League team in the nation's capital. I'm pretty confident under this current ownership group and the fact the CFL has never been more promising, that Ottawa can be successful.

Last edited by Urban_Genius; May 3, 2010 at 5:59 PM.

Old Posted May 3, 2010, 7:32 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Genius View Post
My two cents, for what ever it's worth. Ottawa didn't fail twice. The Rough Riders (no stupid jokes please) were there from 1876 to 1996, 120 years. That's not a failure. They were ran into the ground by poor management. Ditto with the new team, the Gliebermans should never own a CFL team. They were awful and their president (Brad Waters?) is notorious for killing sports franchises.

People seem to forget football has also failed in Montreal, now the Als are the richest team in the league. They had a massive crowd for their Grey Cup parade, and football at the grass root level is incredibly popular.

Lastly, that new render is really nice. I can't wait for Ottawa to rejoin the CFL. It's a bit funny that there's no Canadian Football League team in the nation's capital. I'm pretty confident under this current ownership group and the fact the CFL has never been more promising, that Ottawa can be successful.
The Rough Riders had a degree of success and failure in their existence, as most teams do. If memory serves me right, the team was owned by the league for a period of time after a suitable owner couldn't be found. I mean who would really want to own a team that only hit the .500 mark twice in 16 years?

Yes, Montreal did lose its team in 1987. There were several factors involved in that one. Bad management and some idiot renaming the team the Montreal Concordes didn't help either. When the CFL returned to Montreal after the collapse of CFL USA, Montreal got the Grey Cup champion Baltimore (Insert Team Name Here) franchise. So, they had a successful franchise to build on. They also were on the brink of folding because of a lack of attendance. If it weren't for U2, Montreal wouldn't be around today.

Old Posted May 4, 2010, 6:24 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Town Hockey View Post
Isn't it now 5th ?

Seriously though - I have full confidence the CFL will return to Ottawa once that beautiful new stadium is finalized. Also new stadiums in Hamilton, Winnipeg, and possibly Regina, plus renos at BC Place and a game in Moncton this year is all positive news. I would love to see the CFL get to 12 teams in my lifetime - oh yeah - and a new stadium for the Stamps.

Old Posted May 5, 2010, 10:20 PM

well I found this news at ourbombers.com the bombers have hit the 17,000 season ticket mark after the terrible mike kelly era of last year. here is the link:

It appears Winnipeg Blue Bombers fans have regained confidence in their team after last year's disastrous season.

Bombers President Jim Bell said Wednesday there has been a spike in season ticket sales and corporate sponsorships.

So far, 17,000 fans have bought season tickets, putting the sales pace about a month ahead of the same time last year.

Bell admits he was worried after a last year's debacle, which ended with the team posting a miserable 7-11 record, missing the Canadian Football League playoffs, and alienating fans, who seldom stayed to the end of a game. By the time the season was halfway along, many fans stopped showing up at all.

"I'll level with you, I was somewhat worried when we were sitting back in November comparing what we were doing compared to previous years," he said.

Former head coach Mike Kelly's actions were primarily responsible for the alienation part.

Kelly often clashed with media and fans and stopped taking any calls to his weekly radio show.

After swearing and hanging up on the team's radio play-by-play reporter following a November loss to Montreal, Kelly was fined $2,000 by the league.

Commissioner Mark Cohon cited Kelly's "confrontational language, demeanour and tone, and continued pattern of disrespectful behaviour towards the media."

The league had also fined Kelly $1,000 in July for derogatory comments he made toward on-field officials in a game against the Toronto Argonauts.

Kelly was fired in December, on the same day he was arrested at his home in Bridgeport, Pa., near Philadelphia, and charged with assault and harassment after an alleged domestic dispute.

Also on the same day, Bombers president and CEO Lyle Bauer resigned.

Hiring a new general manager and coach has boosted support for the team, Bell said, also citing the recent announcement of a new stadium to be built at the University of Manitoba.

"I can actually pinpoint that. When the club announced Joe Mack as the general manager and vice president, and then shortly after, Paul LaPolice as the head coach, the season tickets and the corporate numbers really skyrocketed," Bell said.

The pre-season begins June 13 with the Bombers hosting the Montreal Alouettes.

The regular season starts July 2 with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats coming to town.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada