HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Nov 21, 2012, 6:35 PM

Apparently he's having a news conference tomorrow to discuss his "political future". hopefully he does the right thing for a change

Old Posted Nov 21, 2012, 9:33 PM
User Registered

CBC article: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/...don-mayor.html

Expect news channels tonight to go crazy with this story and milk it for all its worth.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Nov 22, 2012, 3:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
CBC article: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/...don-mayor.html

Expect news channels tonight to go crazy with this story and milk it for all its worth.
It got a very brief mention on The National on CBC. Not even a video clip.

Meanwhile CBC reports every little move made by Rob Ford. I'm sorry, but Rob Ford falling on a football field is not national news.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2012, 5:39 AM
User Registered

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Nov 22, 2012, 1:48 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Hey Joe, say Hi to Tim Best. Maybe he can let you in on the payday cash loan business. From the Witch Queen of Angmar to Shoeless Joe Fraudtana.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2012, 1:49 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
All I get are links to Dragon's Den. All Kevin O'Leary, all the time. Canada's douchebag answer to Donald Trump.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2012, 4:05 PM

Does anybody know why Sandy White would take over as mayor? (as opposed to any other councillor). I heard on CTV that this is what would happen if Fontana stepped down.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2012, 6:13 PM

Wow just when you thought politicians couldn't get any lower... Fontana only resigned his chair of the police services board, but vows to continue on as mayor while he fight his charges. First time he's said he innocent

He needs to put his ego away, step aside as mayor while he fights these charges. London's in the national news for the wrong reasons thanks to him now...

Old Posted Nov 22, 2012, 8:21 PM
User Registered

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Nov 23, 2012, 5:35 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Matt Brown for Mayor?

Quote:
Political manoeuvring is afoot at city hall to have Coun. Matt Brown installed temporarily as mayor if the pressure becomes too much for Joe Fontana to stay, The Free Press has learned.

Brown, a teacher just two years into his career in politics, has been approached by some council colleagues who want to corral an eight-vote majority that would put him into the mayor’s chair if the embattled Fontana exits amid the firestorm over three criminal charges he faces.
http://www.lfpress.com/2012/11/22/ne...ressure-cooker

What a lightening-fast rise in politics this would be for Matt Brown. A fundamentally decent fellow with personal integrity.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2012, 6:37 PM
Sanity merchant

Don't know anything about this Matt Brown fella'. Is he an upgrade over the half wits we currently have in any sort of office?

Old Posted Nov 24, 2012, 8:30 PM
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by K85 View Post
Don't know anything about this Matt Brown fella'. Is he an upgrade over the half wits we currently have in any sort of office?
Quote:
I've met Mat Brown... Seems like a legitimately nice guy. Not sure what his rationale is for siding with them but I haven't done my research either.
In short, he seems honest and like he wants to the right thing. It would be nice to have a fresh face free of corruption and scandals for a change.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Nov 27, 2012, 5:48 AM
Torontonian Refugee

Quote:
In short, he seems honest and like he wants to the right thing. It would be nice to have a fresh face free of corruption and scandals for a change.
Anne Marie was honest and wanted to do the right thing. She was still stupid, though. We need someone who is

a) Honest
b) Not an idiot
c) Capable of understanding how cities work

Better get your mayoral campaign ready, haljackey. Although, EDIT: not implying Brown is a fool, but it's always good to have lots of options. And as far as I can tell you don't have any solid political ties.

Last edited by Wharn; Nov 27, 2012 at 6:39 AM.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2012, 3:36 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Flip-flopping council rookie may save mayor from 'non-confidence' humiliation
LFP Tuesday November 27, 2012
A political rookie’s flip-flopping could save Mayor Joe Fontana from the historic humiliation of a successful non-confidence vote by his own council.

Having previously voted to support Fontana staying put, then publicly urging him to leave, Coun. Denise Brown was the lone member of council’s finance committee to vote Monday against a motion recommending he be asked to step aside — then told reporters she believes the mayor should go.

Despite the committee’s 3-1 vote to endorse asking Fontana to temporarily leave office amid criminal charges, Brown’s unpredictability has the symbolic motion’s driving force wondering if an eight-vote majority can be secured to give it final approval at council Dec. 11.

read more here: http://www.lfpress.com/2012/11/26/co...-to-step-aside
Also contains video.

LFP has a real shitty interface; I have to press reload 4-5 times to get the damned articles from the webpage.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2012, 3:41 PM
The Vomit Bag.

More dirt on Shoeless Joe Fraudtana:
Quote:
Eyebrows raised over Fontana associates
http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/2.../20036946.html

Old Posted Nov 27, 2012, 4:27 PM
User Registered

Yes the Free Press has gone downhill recently. You think with a story like this they would be on their toes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharn View Post
Anne Marie was honest and wanted to do the right thing. She was still stupid, though. We need someone who is

a) Honest
b) Not an idiot
c) Capable of understanding how cities work

Better get your mayoral campaign ready, haljackey. Although, EDIT: not implying Brown is a fool, but it's always good to have lots of options. And as far as I can tell you don't have any solid political ties.
lol

I think Brown is both a and b but not really sure about c.

If I ever ran it would be for councilor... taking Van Meerbergen's place if he ran for mayor or moved on to provincial/federal politics (like his Conservative run against Glen Pearson).

Yes it's true I don't really have a political position but I do like to look at solutions from the right and left (as well as the up and down) to understand the choices to make a rational, informed decision. By that mentality I guess you could call me centrist in my political views.

My Simcity Stuff

Last edited by haljackey; Nov 27, 2012 at 5:45 PM.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 10:30 PM

http://www.lfpress.com/2013/02/11/pu...y-at-city-hall

A 1.2% tax hike isn't too bad all things considered, but I wish the City of London would get rid of its aversion to debt. I'm not saying London should be emulating the United States or even the Governments of Canada and Ontario, but they shouldn't be afraid to use debt for investments that generate dividends. Considering the infrastructure projects that seem to hinge on whether or not there's a tax hike, I think that the City would be smart to borrow here and there.

What I am not in favour of is using long-term debt to fund day-to-day expenses, which to me include paying salaries.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 11:47 PM

Relatively speaking a 1.2% increase would be reasonable. However there are a lot of special interests, pet projects and pork barrel of councillors that are in the budget (annual Orchestra London grant, calls for VMP wall rather than berms off top of my head) that should be cut and get tax increase to zero.

Unfortunately IMO council will still shoot for 0% tax freeze by going into reserve funds rather than making necessary cuts, it's politically more expedient and can get Diamond Joe n Co. to say they've frozen taxes 3 years straight, but leaves us with a time bomb that will require debt to service day-to-day operations. If, like you say, debt is used for long overdue infrastructure projects (Western Road, Commissioners Road) I'm all for it rather than waiting another decade for infrastructure to enter the 20th century.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
What I am not in favour of is using long-term debt to fund day-to-day expenses, which to me include paying salaries.
Bingo. No one has the political will to stand up and either have an across the board freeze or cut to salaries. It would be more effective that stripping anemic city services even moreso.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2013, 4:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpmasterdac View Post
Relatively speaking a 1.2% increase would be reasonable. However there are a lot of special interests, pet projects and pork barrel of councillors that are in the budget (annual Orchestra London grant, calls for VMP wall rather than berms off top of my head) that should be cut and get tax increase to zero.

Unfortunately IMO council will still shoot for 0% tax freeze by going into reserve funds rather than making necessary cuts, it's politically more expedient and can get Diamond Joe n Co. to say they've frozen taxes 3 years straight, but leaves us with a time bomb that will require debt to service day-to-day operations. If, like you say, debt is used for long overdue infrastructure projects (Western Road, Commissioners Road) I'm all for it rather than waiting another decade for infrastructure to enter the 20th century.
Thankfully not a penny (or nickel) of the taxes I indirectly pay through my rent goes to the City of London. My taxes support a city that offers weekly garbage pickup instead of the clusterf*ck London has.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2013, 5:49 AM
Torontonian Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
Thankfully not a penny (or nickel) of the taxes I indirectly pay through my rent goes to the City of London. My taxes support a city that offers weekly garbage pickup instead of the clusterf*ck London has.
You mean the 8-day collection cycle? What's so bad about it? If you really can't remember what day collection takes place, then just hang a calendar up on the fridge and double-check it every Sunday. No different from Toronto's "recycling one week, garbage the next" cycle.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy