HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 9:57 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
I agree with you on this. I like the grain elevators, Maritime Centre and Fenwick Tower just the way they are. Pressure wash Fenwick and you're good for another 30 years. Fenwick has a unique 60's style that you likely won't see again. It probably won't look as tall after the reno's.

Fenwick Rules:
http://www.google.ca/#hl=en&sugexp=l...w=1003&bih=590

Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 11:28 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
I always thought that Fenwick Tower was quite impressive. It has a unique form as opposed to straight-up, flat walls. However, I am interested in seeing how the renovation will turn out.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2012, 4:46 AM
Honored Member

According to the allnovascotia.com, Joe Metlege received the development permit on Monday night for the Fenwick redevelopment and hopes to have a crane erected in the spring.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2012, 5:13 AM

That's very good news - that will bring the downtown area to potentially 6 is i'm not mistaken? Maybe more - assuming they only use one crane here. If Nova Centre breaks ground in the spring too, we could be seeing 10 cranes active in the central core.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2012, 6:12 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

They also mentioned in the article that Fenwick will get 3 new floors for a total of 36, not 34. It looks like they're counting the mechanical level and roof level though: http://halifax.ca/planning/documents...tAgreement.pdf

The heights are given (drawing A-31) but I can't make them out. I think the planned roof height is probably well over 98 m.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2012, 2:06 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
That's very good news - that will bring the downtown area to potentially 6 is i'm not mistaken? Maybe more - assuming they only use one crane here. If Nova Centre breaks ground in the spring too, we could be seeing 10 cranes active in the central core.
Now THAT is an aerial picture I would love to post on the Canada page

Don't get me wrong... I love seeing the crane-filled pics of Toronto and Calgary, but it's time for some Atlantic representation.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2012, 2:18 PM

Can the info be updated for this development. It should be 124 m 36/10/8/2

Old Posted Oct 28, 2012, 4:20 PM

Quote:
The blank wall facing Barrington is not actually that large. It's nothing like Scotia Square.
Sorry to get off topic but this was too good an opportunity to pass up

I have often thought it would be nice to cover up the blank wall that is the Barrington Tower. Coming in from the ferry it always looked bland/bad to me. Then I hit on the idea...why not a wall of flags, one flag per floor, painted on, and/or visually projected (they do a lot of visual projection on buildings here in Montreal) and covering the entire wall plate facing the harbour, of the nations that have contributed/are contributing to the Halifax we know today.
My suggestion would be, from the top floor down the flags of Halifax itself, Nova Scotia, Canada then add representations for the First Nations and Black communities, Acadian, Britain, France, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, Germany, Netherlands, Lebanon, China, Italy, Poland and the Ukraine...all nationalities with at least 1% of the Ethnic origin population. Since the tower has 20 floors, that leaves 2 for the groups I just can't recall off the top of my head

As far as I know this would be unique in terms of national/ethnic flag displays. If you painted the flags (for daytime viewing) then projected over them at night (to eliminate the need for expensive lights) it would be quite the show

Old Posted Oct 28, 2012, 5:25 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRMjoe View Post
Can the info be updated for this development. It should be 124 m 36/10/8/2
I think that the highest elevation is close to 124 meters but these elevations are based on sea-level being at 0 meters (as is the case with other planning documents that are online). You can see this in this document - http://halifax.ca/planning/documents...tAgreement.pdf. On page 36/84 of this document, it shows Fenwick level_1/Parkade level_3 at an elevation of 62 feet (parkade levels 1 & 2 are below ground). This would be the lowest point above ground, which is shown in this Bing Maps view - http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=rf5...NS&form=LMLTCC.

Page 56/84 of the planning document shows level 33 to be at 362 feet, which is the first floor of the penthouse, and the text indicates a mezzanine level (which would be level 34). Using a ruler on page 58/84 there appears to be 45 feet (a bit less than 5 normal height floors) to the top of the roof from the penthouse level. So I think a good estimate is 407 feet elevation to the top of the roof (124 meters). Since the lowest point of level 1 is 62 feet elevation (a few feet below Fenwick Street), the height above ground at the highest point of the roof is close to 407 - 62 feet = 345 feet (105 meters). Additionally, on page 58/84 I think the roof level elevation appears to be 402'-6". This would give 402.5 - 62 = 340.5 feet (104 meters).

In my opinion, it appears to be 34 livable levels above the lowest ground level and 104 meters (340.5 feet) in height above the lowest ground level. (plus there are two additional parkade levels below ground).

PS: There is also a large enclosed elevator/mechanical level above the penthouse, so I guess it could be considered to be 35 levels above ground level. As an interesting side note: a tower could have been built an additional 200 feet tall at this location and still have been within the Ramparts Maximum. So there are many areas on the peninsula where a 50 storey tower could be built (perhaps in the North-end, once Councillor Watts has an epitome and decides to accept tall, iconic skyscrapers)

Last edited by fenwick16; Oct 28, 2012 at 8:32 PM.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2012, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
In my opinion, it appears to be 34 livable levels above the lowest ground level and 104 meters (340.5 feet) in height above the lowest ground level. (plus there are two additional parkade levels below ground).
Surely to god nobody can survive at such a dizzying height. They will either die due to lack of oxygen or be blown out of the windows by high winds. THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!

Old Posted Oct 28, 2012, 5:44 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Surely to god nobody can survive at such a dizzying height. They will either die due to lack of oxygen or be blown out of the windows by high winds. THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
I imagine that if they had added additional residential levels above 34 levels then these would be un-livable levels

Old Posted Oct 28, 2012, 6:00 PM

source

They might need a pressure suit (they definitely would for Skye)...

Old Posted Oct 28, 2012, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
I think that the highest elevation is close to 124 meters but these elevations are based on sea-level being at 0 meters (as is the case with other planning documents that are online). You can see this in this document - http://halifax.ca/planning/documents...tAgreement.pdf. On page 36/84 of this document, it shows Fenwick level_1/Parkade level_3 at an elevation of 62 feet (parkade levels 1 & 2 are below ground). This would be the lowest point above ground, which is shown in this Bing Maps view - http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=rf5...NS&form=LMLTCC.

Page 56/84 of the planning document shows level 33 to be at 362 feet, which is the first floor of the penthouse, and the text indicates a mezzanine level (which would be level 34). Using a ruler on page 58/84 there appears to be 45 feet (a bit less than 5 normal height floors) to the top of the roof from the penthouse level. So I think a good estimate is 407 feet elevation to the top of the roof (124 meters). Since the lowest point of level 1 is 62 feet elevation (a few feet below Fenwick Street), the height above ground at the highest point of the roof is close to 407 - 62 feet = 345 feet (105 meters). Additionally, on page 58/84 I think the roof level elevation appears to be 402'-6". This would give 402.5 - 62 = 340.5 feet (104 meters).

PS: There is also a large enclosed elevator/mechanical level above the penthouse, so I guess it could be considered to be 35 levels above ground level. As an interesting side note: a tower could have been built an additional 200 feet tall at this location and still have been within the Ramparts Maximum. So there are many areas on the peninsula where a 50 storey tower could be built (perhaps in the North-end, once Councillor Watts has an epitome and decides to accept tall, iconic skyscrapers)
Yes I apologize, you are correct in your response, I was unclear how it was calculated. The tower is 408-1' to T/O roof and the 35th floor is last residential floor with cooling tower spanning 2 floors (35,36).

Old Posted Oct 28, 2012, 9:34 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Yes I apologize, you are correct in your response, I was unclear how it was calculated. The tower is 408-1' to T/O roof and the 35th floor is last residential floor with cooling tower spanning 2 floors (35,36).
Thanks for the information. Do you have a better copy of the planning documents or do you have inside information? (it is difficult to read the elevations on the halifax.ca planning documents)

408 ft - 62 = 346 ft (105.5 meters) above lowest ground level.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2012, 9:37 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

105.5 meters sounds just about right given the old 96 m number for Fenwick and the couple of floors they're adding.

I wonder if Fenwick will be taller than the King's Wharf tower? The title of that thread says 90 m but that might be incorrect.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2012, 9:51 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
105.5 meters sounds just about right given the old 96 m number for Fenwick and the couple of floors they're adding.

I wonder if Fenwick will be taller than the King's Wharf tower? The title of that thread says 90 m but that might be incorrect.
It will be interesting to see. Whereas there are design plans for the Fenwick Tower, the Kings Wharf tower is still just conceptual (so it might change).

I can't wait to see the work start on Fenwick Tower. It will be especially interesting to see the precast concrete cladding removed to expose the skeleton of the tower (it will look like a new tower construction).

PS: I wonder if the new design (to meet the view-planes bylaws) will be posted?

Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 2:23 AM

Smile

There is an opportunity to input on the name of the new Fenwick Tower.. Templeton Properties is asking for the public to submit names. There is a Facebook page that can be found if you type 'vision of fenwick' in the search bar. Feel free to submit an original name, or re-submit a name you've already seen put forward to show support for that name.. Also feel free to put out more then one name if you so choose.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 3:05 AM

Quote:
There is an opportunity to input on the name of the new Fenwick Tower.. Templeton Properties is asking for the public to submit names. There is a Facebook page that can be found if you type 'vision of fenwick' in the search bar. Feel free to submit an original name, or re-submit a name you've already seen put forward to show support for that name.. Also feel free to put out more then one name if you so choose.
Is it the facebook link? I retired my account so I'll post mine here and hopefully someone will be kind enough to submit them for me.

BTW are you Joe Metledge? If so its nice to have another developer on the forum. If not welcome anyways! More the merrier

Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 3:31 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
BTW are you Joe Metledge? If so its nice to have another developer on the forum. If not welcome anyways! More the merrier
I was wondering the same thing. You seem to have access to the plans for this development. If you are Joe Metlege then good luck on this exciting project. It will transform the skyline of Halifax.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 3:56 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Is it the facebook link? I retired my account so I'll post mine here and hopefully someone will be kind enough to submit them for me.

Hey guys, yes, I'm Joe Metlege, thanks for the welcome and the interest/support over the years.. I'm really excited to make everyone proud of this development

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth