HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Jul 8, 2010, 4:19 AM

[QUOTE=Jonboy1983;4904232]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeno3333333 View Post

I didn't think that was Cor-Ten either.

After reading the thread title, I wondered how long it would take before I'd find a pic of the US Steel Building... about 4 seconds!

That's one of my favorite buildings of all time.
My dad used to be a head cost accountant for US Steel, and he retired in 1967...one of the last projects he worked on was the US Steel building....The outside support beams are said to be hollow, well sort of, they actually have 2 thin slots inside the columns. each slot is about as wide as a average finger, so there is a lot of steel in those columns. For a great picture of what the massive outside steel columns look like on the insides, go to...

http://www.lera.com/pimg/ussteel/4626174_large.jpg

....They were made from steel that was made in the Homestead Works. CorTen is named from its unique Corrosion characteristics plus its very high "Tensile strength". A thin sheet of it is very hard to bend.

Last edited by zeno3333333; Jul 8, 2010 at 4:29 AM.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2010, 8:46 PM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
[QUOTE=zeno3333333;4904313]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy1983 View Post

My dad used to be a head cost accountant for US Steel, and he retired in 1967...one of the last projects he worked on was the US Steel building....The outside support beams are said to be hollow, well sort of, they actually have 2 thin slots inside the columns. each slot is about as wide as a average finger, so there is a lot of steel in those columns. For a great picture of what the massive outside steel columns look like on the insides, go to...

http://www.lera.com/pimg/ussteel/4626174_large.jpg

....They were made from steel that was made in the Homestead Works. CorTen is named from its unique Corrosion characteristics plus its very high "Tensile strength". A thin sheet of it is very hard to bend.
When did construction begin on the US Steel Building? I want to say it began in either 1966 or 1967(?) It's neat that your dad worked for US Steel and that the construction of its new HQ was one of his last projects. I knew that the steel came from the Homestead Works. I heard that the hollow tubes within those massive beams are filled with some kind of fire proofing or ritardant. I think it's a very remarkable building. I wish UPMC didn't lease out the 62nd floor. I wish somebody else could have opened a restaurant or some other tourist attraction atop the building. It would have made the building a little more usable to the public, but that's just my opinion...

Old Posted Jul 8, 2010, 10:42 PM

[QUOTE=Jonboy1983;4905227]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeno3333333 View Post

When did construction begin on the US Steel Building? I want to say it began in either 1966 or 1967(?) It's neat that your dad worked for US Steel and that the construction of its new HQ was one of his last projects. I knew that the steel came from the Homestead Works. I heard that the hollow tubes within those massive beams are filled with some kind of fire proofing or ritardant. I think it's a very remarkable building. I wish UPMC didn't lease out the 62nd floor. I wish somebody else could have opened a restaurant or some other tourist attraction atop the building. It would have made the building a little more usable to the public, but that's just my opinion...
Back in the late 90s I called the management office for the US Steel building, and they said that ground was broken in January, 1967 and it opened for office move-in in October, 1970. I remember in early 1967 my dad and I looking through the peep holes of the wood walls around the large pit in the ground for the foundation....There used to be a Stouffers restaurant on the 62nd floor...my Mom and Dad took me to eat there on my 16th birthday in October, 1973. The express elevator to the top is mighty fast, ones ears pop!! Yes, the slots in the outside beams have an anti-freeze solution in them that would cause the fluid to flow and dissipate the heat in a fire...guess you could call the 841 tall beams the tallest radiators in the world. The building at first was going to be the tallest building in the world, but that would have conflicted with another later US Steel project, the Chicago Sears Tower, and Sears's desire to be in the tallest building, so they scaled back the height of the US Steel building. Until the mid 80s, the Rockwell Int company was HQed there, and they had a large model of the NASA Space Shuttle in the lobby. A Rockwell Int corporate helicopter crashed landed in the icy Allegheny River in the late 80s after taking off from the top of the roof. Maybe that is part of the reason the roof is no longer used as a heliport, not sure.

Back in the mid 70s during Christmas, David Pressau used to play music on a electric organ on the 2nd floor of the lobby. My family and I were very close to David Pressau, and he taught me organ lessons as a teenager back then. He now among many other things, teaches at the high School for the Performing Arts in Downtown Pittsburgh.

Last edited by zeno3333333; Jul 8, 2010 at 10:57 PM.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2010, 6:25 PM
BANNED

do they really have to be skyscrapers?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jetsong...7613197369312/

Old Posted Sep 4, 2010, 4:34 PM
Creator + Founder, WAM

COR-TEN is definitely underrated; the patina that it produces is gorgeous. I'm suprized at some of the examples posted in this thread of buildings that I know of, but didn't know they utilized COR-TEN Steel; the WAM COR-TEN Steel tag page will definitely be getting a face-lift this weekend!

Here's a fantastic example that hasn't gotten any love yet; COR-TEN combined with minimalism, and it produces some fantastic results:

The Crystal Palace Concert Platform by Ian Ritchie in London:

Crystal Palace Park concert stage by cluttergeoff, on Flickr

Ian Ritchie Concert Stage by mattward, on Flickr

Cheers!

Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 3:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Gabriela Mistral Cultural Center / Cristian Fernandez Arquitectos, Lateral Arquitectura & Diseño
Architects: Cristian Fernandez Arquitectos, Lateral Arquitectura & Diseno
Project Architects: Cristián Fernández Eyzaguirre, Christian Yutronic V., Sebastián Baraona R.

http://www.archdaily.com/81725/gabri...ectura-diseno/

Old Posted Oct 19, 2010, 8:52 PM
Ω

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyi View Post
You got to it before I could but there's just one little issue....it's Moline, IL.
That's an extremely common misconception. But Moline could be in Iowa anyway, it's just like it.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2010, 2:03 AM
Closed account

What about one chase manhattan plaza? Not sure about it though.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2010, 3:51 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

finally found it!

I saw this building a while back and tried looking for it but i always came up empty handed.

anyways, it's an awesome building. i'd love to see it in person.

link

Old Posted Oct 22, 2010, 4:31 AM
BANNED

^^^ OMG I WANT! Can Chicago please steal that building?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2010, 4:32 AM
BANNED

that building looks cool

Old Posted Oct 22, 2010, 4:45 AM
BANNED

I'm going to send Carmen SanDiego to steal it from NZ and bring it to Chicago to be my home!

Last edited by Nowhereman1280; Oct 22, 2010 at 3:26 PM.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2010, 6:02 AM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Wow. Stunning!

Old Posted Oct 30, 2010, 4:09 AM
BANNED

U/C
Quote:
PGGM Headquarters / Mateo Arquitectura
Architects: Josep Lluís Mateo / Mateo Arquitectura
Project Leaders: Markus Lauber, Till von Mackensen
Project Area: 25,000 sqm offices, 25,000 sqm car park
Project Year: 2010
Photographs: Courtesy of Mateo Arquitectura

http://www.archdaily.com/84724/in-pr...-arquitectura/

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 11:05 PM
BANNED

Old Posted Nov 13, 2010, 8:29 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Wow. I never realized how well Corten goes with brick.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 4:31 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Art Stable and T Bailey Offices by Tom Kundig of Olson Kundig Architects
Art Stable and T Bailey Offices, two projects by Tom Kundig of Olson Kundig Architects, each received a Citation at the 2010 Honor Awards for Washington Architecture, presented by the American Institute of Architects (AIA) Seattle Chapter.

http://www.architecturelist.com/2010...ig-architects/

Old Posted Feb 12, 2011, 4:31 AM
BANNED

these shutters are total overkill but they look really cool & I guess they're appropriate since it's a former(?) industrial neighbourhood

Quote:
Wyckoff Exchange in Bushwick Brooklyn / by Andre Kikoski Architect
By N. A. Hilal on Friday, February 11, 2011 :: 99 views

Andre Kikoski Architect shared with us the Wyckoff Exchange project in Bushwick Brooklyn. The 10,000 square foot project has successfully transformed abandoned warehouse with cutting edge facade.

Scheduled to open in winter 2010, the 10,000 square foot Wyckoff Exchange, at 22-28 Wycokff Avenue in Brooklyn’s emerging Bushwick neighborhood, will accommodate three retail tenants including a live music and performance venue (that will be called Radio Bushwick and is also designed by the firm) as well as an organic market and a boutique wine shop.

http://www.architecturelist.com/2011...ski-architect/

Old Posted Feb 12, 2011, 4:35 AM
tilted & shifted

^Creative, unique, cool.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2011, 4:49 AM
tilted & shifted

Nigel Hall's sculpture:

Taken by Mark Crossfield

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture