HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 1:38 AM

Surrey Langley Skytrain - Expo Line Extension | Proposed

Announcement on extension of Expo-Line could come Thursday

Wednesday, December 10 - 03:09:26 PM Lyle Fisher

SURREY (NEWS1130) - Transportation Minister Kevin Falcon and TransLink CEO Tom Prendergast will be making a major announcement Thursday morning at Surrey's Gateway SkyTrain station. There's speculation it could be about the proposed expansion of the Expo-Line into Surrey.

Back in January Premier Gordon Campbell unveiled his $14 billion transportation plan for the region, and said a 6 kilometre extension of the Expo Line to Guildford would be completed by the year 2020. Falcon said an expanded line would likely continue along 104th Avenue, down 152nd Street to the Fraser Highway and end at 168th Street.

Anita Huberman with the Surrey Board of Trade says she's hopeful the expansion gets fast-tracked by the province. "There also needs to be a 'light rail' option for Surrey. Surrey is a huge city, and we have different areas where transit is inaccessable, so we're hoping (for) a combination of light rail and rapid transit. We need options to get around the city. We have 1,500 people a month moving into Surrey."

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 2:39 AM

It's about frikkin' time.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 2:42 AM
Vancouver Moderator

OOOOOO this sounds exciting... great I can look forward to something after I finish my geo test >___>" [sorry random]

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 2:54 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

What no *Go Falcon Go* or *Go Gordon Go* yet?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 3:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
OOOOOO this sounds exciting... great I can look forward to something after I finish my geo test >___>" [sorry random]
I have a geo test tomorrow too... we wouldn't be going to school together and not know it, would we?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 2:58 AM

Hopefully it's news about the extension rather than a mere study that will take years to complete. This is a rare opportunity, during this recession, to capitalize on lower construction costs.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 3:01 AM

B.C. expected to launch studies of Surrey, Vancouver SkyTrain extensions

BY KELLY SINOSKIDECEMBER 10, 2008 4:01 PM

Transportation Minister Kevin Falcon is expected to announce plans Thursday to launch studies for rapid transit lines to Surrey's Guildford area and the University of B.C.

The two projects — extensions of the Expo and Millennium SkyTrain lines — were originally announced earlier this year as part of a $14-billion transit and transportation plan for Metro Vancouver, expected to be completed by 2020.

The plan, billed in January as one of the biggest capital projects in B.C. history, called for $10.3 billion investment in four new rapid transit lines in Metro Vancouver, including $2 billion already committed to the Canada Line, $2.8 billion for the UBC extension down Vancouver's Broadway corridor, $1.4 billion for the Evergreen Line and $2 billion for the Surrey expansion.

The Surrey expansion will likely leave from the King George Station, travel along 104th Avenue, down 152nd Street to Fraser Highway and terminate at 168th Street.

Surrey Mayor Dianne Watts wouldn’t discuss the announcement Wednesday, saying she wasn’t sure what it involved.

However, she said Surrey would “embrace” the idea of an expansion of the SkyTrain system even though she has said she prefers the idea of light rail to SkyTrain because it would be cheaper.

Both the city and the province have initiated studies on light rail.

“That analysis has to be done throughout the whole system, look at its viability, and how we can capitalize on some of the lines we have in place,” she said, adding it should include both Surrey and Langley.

As part of the $14-billion plan, the province has also earmarked $1.2 billion for a new, high capacity RapidBus BC service along nine major routes in Kelowna, Victoria and Metro Vancouver and $1.6-billion investment in 1,500 new, clean energy buses and related maintenance infrastructure to provide communities around the province with improved bus service.

Following the SkyTrain announcement in Surrey tomorrow morning, Falcon is expected to announce plans to improve the bus system in Richmond.

The announcements come as TransLink faces a cash crunch by 2011. It is already $100 million short of what it needs to maintain and expand transit services in 2009. And unless it can boost revenues by $150 million annually by 2011, it could start axing services and infrastructure.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 4:32 AM
HA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambaUp View Post

Following the SkyTrain announcement in Surrey tomorrow morning, Falcon is expected to announce plans to improve the bus system in Richmond.
This will be very interesting news!! I hope they have plans to add a few more E-W bus/community routes, especially West Richmond, where transit is highly lacking, especially on Francis/Blundell Rds (Seen all the traffic backups on Russ Baker during both morning/afternoon rush hours?)

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 4:49 AM
Hello World

Sooooo... the track after King George station is going to curve northward to reach 104 ave ? That's just bloody weird, man.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 6:30 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambaUp View Post
...expected to be completed by 2020....The Surrey expansion will likely leave from the King George Station, travel along 104th Avenue, down 152nd Street to Fraser Highway and terminate at 168th Street.
so its going to take 11 years to go 54 blocks? at an average of 5 blocks/year, i'm not sure thats a reasonable time table.

and why would a train leaving from King George loop back up to 104 Avenue? would it not make more sense to branch it off from Gateway along 108 Avenue to 152 Street?

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 6:51 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distill3d View Post
so its going to take 11 years to go 54 blocks? at an average of 5 blocks/year, i'm not sure thats a reasonable time table.
Ummm... this project isn't going to begin until at least the completion of the Evergreen Line, either during, before, or after the M-Line extension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distill3d View Post
and why would a train leaving from King George loop back up to 104 Avenue? would it not make more sense to branch it off from Gateway along 108 Avenue to 152 Street?
That was Falcon's plan apparently... but I guess we'll see tomorrow.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 7:06 AM

You would think with material costs falling and labour costs possibly falling that 100 million shorfall should dry up fast. This is the time to build infastructure projects, lets get it started.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 3:54 PM
testify

Quote:
The announcements come as TransLink faces a cash crunch by 2011.
they also come with 4 ndp seats in surrey and five months until the election.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 3:01 AM
BANNED

GO FALCO GO

(f1rst)

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 9:28 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardo88 View Post
GO FALCO GO

(f1rst)
2econd!

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 3:04 AM

Way too much red tape in this province.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 3:48 AM
senior something

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x2 View Post
Way too much red tape in this province.
I know everyone loves the "shovels in the ground, start construction tommorow" attitude, but building things without proper planning and preliminary engineering is a recipe for ineffective projects and massive cost overruns.

I'm not the guy from Subway.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 4:25 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared View Post
I know everyone loves the "shovels in the ground, start construction tommorow" attitude, but building things without proper planning and preliminary engineering is a recipe for ineffective projects and massive cost overruns.
Then again, conducting studies over and over again restudying the studies isn't really effective either.

We need to strike the RIGHT balance.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 4:27 AM
HA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared View Post
I don't think there should be anymore studies for the M-Line extension to UBC. That one is too obvious.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 3:19 AM

Hopefully they don't restrict the Guildford study to skytrain. There's a good chance the case for LRT is better than skytrain on that route. Same with King George to Newton.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure