HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Nov 10, 2008, 3:17 PM
Mooderator

Best Pint?

What's the best place for a pint o' beer in Ottawa, in your opinion? Places where you can actually hear yourself speaking with the person next to you, and get some good grub if you're feeling a little hungry.

I'm a fan of the Manx on Elgin, but I find it hard to get a spot sometimes since it's so popular.

(my pint, my pic, hands off).

Old Posted Nov 10, 2008, 4:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
What's the best place for a pint o' beer in Ottawa, in your opinion? Places where you can actually hear yourself speaking with the person next to you, and get some good grub if you're feeling a little hungry.

I'm a fan of the Manx on Elgin, but I find it hard to get a spot sometimes since it's so popular.
Depends on where you are in Ottawa, but I like the Cheshire Cat in Stittsville/Carp, the Clocktower Brew Pub on Bank Street and to try interesting beers Pub Italia on Preston. Some of the Royal Oak's are OK.

Have you ever tried that place on rue Principale in Aylmer, just to the west of the infamous Club 61. It is apparently a good place to try interesting beers.

That pub in Chelsea is nice as well.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2008, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clynnog View Post
Have you ever tried that place on rue Principale in Aylmer, just to the west of the infamous Club 61. It is apparently a good place to try interesting beers.
"L'Autre Oeuil" is the one in Aylmer...excellent pints...always super fresh...and good atmosphere too.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2008, 5:00 PM
Mooderator

The only place I've been in Aylmer is Bistro Ambrosia, but I've been by those other places many times. I should really be supporting my local businesses.. I'm feeling very ashamed right now.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2008, 5:34 PM
BANNED

Quote:
The only place I've been in Aylmer is Bistro Ambrosia, but I've been by those other places many times. I should really be supporting my local businesses.. I'm feeling very ashamed right now.
Are you referring to the businesses you haven't supported as the restaurant or 61.?

Speaking of Aylmer, I've been intrigued by the British Hotel....what is it like inside.?

Old Posted Nov 10, 2008, 6:10 PM

My previous roomate said that Grace O'Malley's is a good choice of place to go...

I like the Royal Oak's as well, since they have Caledonian 80 on tap at some locations, as well as Fullers London Pride and/or ESB on tap.

I generally don't go anywhere that serves Coors Light or Bud and whatnot...mostly because I don't like weak tasting beers, as well as where they are served, are usually very loud/rowdy like Harls mentioned.

I haven't been to anywhere on Elgin Street, or in the Market yet, but I love Patty's Pub on Bank, and also enjoy the Georgetown on Bank too...

Old Posted Nov 10, 2008, 7:15 PM

The Manx is great, but I'm also a fan of Pub Italia, and for a little grittier experience, the Dirty Dom is another place to quaff a pint.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2008, 8:57 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by clynnog View Post

Speaking of Aylmer, I've been intrigued by the British Hotel....what is it like inside.?
I haven't been inside, but I've heard it's supposed to be a real dive.. like a Legion hangout, complete with crotchety old men complaining about current state of the world, geriatrics tethered to video lottery terminals.. in other words, my kind of place.

Monkyman, Pub Italia is a great place... haven't been there in so long.

The Laff and Dom are excellent, but are getting to be too popular now. I liked it when they were real dives and people avoided them. Now it's cool to hang out there.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2008, 9:00 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
I haven't been inside, but I've heard it's supposed to be a real dive.. like a Legion hangout, complete with crotchety old men complaining about current state of the world, geriatrics tethered to video lottery terminals.. in other words, my kind of place.
I think the British Hotel is a mix of what Harls has described and also younger people from Ontario who cross over to take advantage of the laxer drinking laws. The cops actually go there quite a bit to break up fights and even brawls, not exactly something you'd associate with geriatrics...

Old Posted Nov 10, 2008, 9:20 PM
Mooderator

I don't know.. I know some pretty feisty seniors.. you sure?

Old Posted Nov 10, 2008, 9:28 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
I don't know.. I know some pretty feisty seniors.. you sure?
Especially in Aylmer... you may be right!

Old Posted Nov 11, 2008, 2:05 AM

Well, I have many a fond memory of The Brittish. I was going there as a skinny little 17 year old during high school (and I obviously didn't look 17). Our school would hold underground pubs there and the locals would often pick fights with my classmates....funny how only the Ontario kids would end up in jail and the locals would just stagger home.

As for my favorite pubs this decade I really like The Clocktower and all of the downtown Oaks are great too. I can't wait to live spitting distance from the Oak at Bank and Gloucester. The Prescott is good for beer + hockey and there's always Pub Italia for a post-game celebration pint. As for the Market, I've always enjoyed The Auld Dubliner.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2008, 4:55 AM

Chez Lucien, on Murray.

Great burgers, too! And Tom Waits on the (free) jukebox!

Old Posted Nov 11, 2008, 5:14 AM
National Capital Region

I like Pub Italia and The Auld Dubliner as well (they were showing the Leafs-Habs game on a decent TV last time I was there )

Old Posted Nov 11, 2008, 2:19 PM
Closed account

I haven't been in Ottawa in quite awhile, but for all those Ottawans who spend several months at a time in Waterloo, I really enjoy Kick Offs at the University Plaza near UW. It has a really good assortment of beers on tap that regularly changes, waffle fries (which are automatically awesome by virtue of being waffle fries), and a really nice laid back atmosphere that mainly attracts the sort of people who already know about it and love it there.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2008, 4:20 PM

If the Cheshire Cat wasn't so far away, that would probably be my number one choice...closest thing to an authentic British pub in Canada, IMHO. Chez Lucien and The Barley Mow (Bank Street) are great too. I also go to the Highlander fairly often...they have probably the best single malt collection in the city (and Caledonian on tap).

Clocktower (Beechwood) is my local...prefer it over the New Eddie.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2008, 4:47 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

Pub Italia is the devil.

Sure, they have an impressive beer selection, but Mr. Moustache (owner) is a complete prick.

I would advise against going there, but if you do make sure your party doesn't produce sound above the volume of normal conversation, lest you be told to pipe down by the Moustache himself.

Want beer/pub fare in the Preston area? Head a block north to Heart & Crown. They don't discourage good times there.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2008, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number24 View Post
If the Cheshire Cat wasn't so far away, that would probably be my number one choice...closest thing to an authentic British pub in Canada, IMHO.
Sorry, but the Crow and Gate has that locked down.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2008, 7:22 PM
Highrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac888yow View Post
Pub Italia is the devil.

Sure, they have an impressive beer selection, but Mr. Moustache (owner) is a complete prick.

I would advise against going there, but if you do make sure your party doesn't produce sound above the volume of normal conversation, lest you be told to pipe down by the Moustache himself.

Want beer/pub fare in the Preston area? Head a block north to Heart & Crown. They don't discourage good times there.
I haven't been to the Preston since last summer (2007). Sure the beer list is impressive, but honestly, I'd prefer if they kept to local micro's instead of shipping over tons of Belgian and UK beers. In their native setting these beers are excellent but putting them in bottles and shipping them across the ocean ruins many of them, IMHO.

The Cheshire Cat has some nice micros, including one of my fave's, Beau's from Vankleek Hill.

I wasn't aware of the attitude of the owner.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2008, 10:16 PM

One other place that I didn't mention which is great for having a pint is Brixton's on Sparks Street. It's not your classic Brittish pub, but the interior is filled with London Underground signs and memorabilia as is their logo. I found it to have a really nice atmosphere and the pub fare they offer to go along with your beer is excellent.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation