HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Aug 26, 2013, 7:32 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle rock View Post
I agree that the Alder site would be challenging as a full scale public market. However, I was envisioning this proposal as more of a way to totally convert it over to a food cart pod. I think you could do this on different scales. At the very least you could just replace the parking with seating and build some sort of temporary roof over the whole thing.
The problem is that those parking spaces generate revenue for the owner of the parking lot. That simple fact puts an end to the possibility. Also, the roof would cost money to build, and who would fund it? If the costs were passed on to the food carts, they'd never be able to afford to stay. They're only there now because they pay for the parking spaces they take up.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2013, 7:49 PM

I really like the OP's idea. It solves a whole bunch of problems that exist right now: there's nowhere (good) to sit down and eat; the whole food cart experience is a lot worse in winter; and the sidewalks are overly crowded, to the extent that they're difficult to walk along at lunchtime.

I think I read somewhere once that the revenue from the carts is significantly higher than that from the parking space, per sq ft. Financially, I could see this working if a similar deal to Park Avenue West / Director park was struck. Transfer the FAR to another site, and build an underground garage below.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Aug 26, 2013, 7:58 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Financially, I could see this working if a similar deal to Park Avenue West / Director park was struck. Transfer the FAR to another site, and build an underground garage below.
It's such a shame something like that couldn't happen on the abandoned lot at SW 3rd and Taylor. It's a crime to see that lot sit vacant, and it's equally sad to see the mess on the other side of the street on Taylor languish.

I only suggest that site instead because this block has way too much value. It's going to become a high rise at some point. I'd swear there were plans for it a few years ago... not that it mattered once the economy tanked. That changed everything.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2013, 11:13 PM

I just think the Bridgehead site is too far away from everything and not on anyone's way. Yes, it's on the MAX line, but once you're on the train (and it's raining and cold outside) I think you're less likely to get off and then get back on again. As far as foot traffic goes, it's the same situation as the Centennial Mills was a few years ago: there's nothing to draw people currently, which means when it opens it will be the only draw. So it depends entirely on itself for its success. The Alder site, on the other hand, is right in between two huge retail nodes: Morrison St and Powells/Whole Foods and its on the way to the Pearl and NW, destinations people regularly walk to from downtown. Obviously, the Alder site is facing development pressure. And it's hard to deliver to. But it doesn't matter how easy it is to deliver to if no one's buying, right? And really, is Santa Caterina really that easy to deliver to?

One thing that might possibly be a solution is that I understand that O'bryant Square is supposed to be renovated in the near-ish future. What if they leveled it and moved the food carts there? It's ALMOST as close to everything else, and since it's city-owned, it doesn't face the same development pressure, AND it supports small business. In fact, the underground parking could be partially retained (a bone for the car-obsessed) while using the rest for deliveries.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2013, 11:29 PM

Quote:
bvpcvm: One thing that might possibly be a solution is that I understand that O'bryant Square is supposed to be renovated in the near-ish future. What if they leveled it and moved the food carts there? It's ALMOST as close to everything else, and since it's city-owned, it doesn't face the same development pressure, AND it supports small business. In fact, the underground parking could be partially retained (a bone for the car-obsessed) while using the rest for deliveries.
Excellent idea. With a design competition for some sort of dramatic roof structure a la Santa Caterina.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2013, 5:03 PM

SUBSCRIBER CONTENT: Sep 6, 2013, 3:00am PDT
You can ask, but can you get?
Wendy Culverwell
Real Estate Daily editor- Portland Business Journal

http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/...t.html?s=print

Quote:
Portland office rents could be reaching a critical level.

American Assets Trust, the San Diego-based real estate trust that owns First & Main, is asking the equivalent of about $38 per square foot for about 71,000 square feet of soon-to-be empty space in Portland’s newest office tower.

Over in the Pearl District, space that won’t be empty in the Brewery Block’s M Financial building for more than a year is being marketed at the equivalent of $37 per square foot. U.S. Bancorp Tower is asking for, and getting, rents above $30.

Those and other buildings that boast first-class locations and amenities are pushing rents in a market where the asking rate is $27.03 per square foot.

It isn’t just welcome news for landlords.

Rising rents could elevate long-stalled dreams of new construction.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2013, 10:58 PM

Downtown office space renovated for software firm

POSTED: Friday, September 6, 2013 at 01:48 PM PT
BY: Sam Tenney Daily Journal of Commerce - Oregon

Quote:
General contractor SD Deacon is performing a tenant improvement on the fourth floor of the Alderway Building in downtown Portland for AppNexus, a New York-based software engineering firm.

Read more: http://djcoregon.com/news/2013/09/06...#ixzz2e9k48L2j

Old Posted Sep 7, 2013, 5:34 AM
A before E

That is awesome to hear, I love the little Alderway building and this is definitely a good sign it will be going no wear as it adapts for the future.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2013, 12:55 AM

It looks like Mazda was shooting a commercial in the vicinity of the Wells Fargo tower today. I saw a red Mazda with a policeman on a motorcycle behind it, and one of those black SUVs with camera equipment all over it in front of them.

The new Apple site also has a new construction building on the property.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2013, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
The new Apple site also has a new construction building on the property.
Shows you how suburban the design is that the construction trailer can remain on the property, I wonder if the Apple Store will also have a surface parking lot, it would certainly fit its suburban design.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2013, 4:14 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxstreetcar View Post
Shows you how suburban the design is that the construction trailer can remain on the property, I wonder if the Apple Store will also have a surface parking lot, it would certainly fit its suburban design.
From what I have seen from Apple, this project is definitely looking like a huge letdown.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2013, 5:46 AM

I must be the only one who likes the design of this new Apple store......... It appears that "most everything" that is currently on the drawing boards, to be built in Portland, doesn't pass muster by "many" on this forum....just my opinion.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2013, 5:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificNW View Post
I must be the only one who likes the design of this new Apple store......... Of course, it appears that "most everything" that is currently on the drawing boards, to be built in Portland, doesn't pass muster on this forum....just my opinion.

I agree, on both counts.

We've only seen maybe 2? renderings, and the framework for the new building hasn't even begun to rise yet. It's impossible to know exactly what the finished product will look like, but it's far from the "suburban" mall designs of typical Apple stores in the US.

Last edited by Derek; Sep 9, 2013 at 9:01 PM.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2013, 6:00 AM

Here are two links to the new Apple store that just opened near Stanford. I understand the design of that store is similar to the design of the Portland store.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/...owds-and-lines

http://photos.mercurynews.com/2013/0...-in-palo-alto/

Although this store is located in a "suburban" mall I feel it will look great in downtown Portland... In addition, this design is presently only incorporated in two U.S. locations, plus one in Paris...

Another pic of the Stanford Location:

Last edited by PacificNW; Sep 9, 2013 at 6:36 AM.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2013, 6:25 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

I don't get the idea of the new Apple Store being a letdown. They're building a minimalist yet very modern building in the heart of our downtown where a hideous 80s designed blank wall of a mall structure had stood. What could be better?

Old Posted Sep 9, 2013, 6:35 PM

When I walk through the area now, it seems so much more open and airy then when the Saks store was there. We'll see how the building turns out, but I'm appreciating the open plaza feel.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 7:59 AM

I am a bit surprised as I loved the design and really thought it would fit well especially since it is replacing that god awful wall that did not bring any life to the street.

I mean the old building wouldn't have looked as bad if they just had run the windows the length of the building but instead in the middle just a blank wall but I am glad it is torn down. By the looks of the renderings it definitely will give a nice open and inviting feel to the street and since it is a apple store obviously attract people.

I mean I would not want every building and store front to have a setback but I think at this location it is perfectly place.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 8:22 AM

Random thought, but I really wish Victoria's Secret would move out of the mall's basement as well.

After seeing the street level stores in San Francisco and Vancouver, it honestly gives a healthy vibe to the street. There's obviously no shortage of women eager to get new undies.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 4:12 PM

Quote:
JG573: I mean I would not want every building and store front to have a setback but I think at this location it is perfectly place.
This is pretty much exactly how I feel. I could very easily imagine the building being torn down in 25 years when Apple is long gone, we have computers embedded in our bodies, and the mattress discount store that moved in when Apple left closes down...but at least there won't be much to demolish . On the other hand, who knows, maybe it will become an oasis of light and space in an increasingly dense city and it will be a protected piece of architecture someday.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2013, 1:23 AM
Karma Police

It could easily become a visitor's center when Apple moves out. Or some other tourist attraction.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland