HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One57 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 30, 2011, 1:31 AM
New Yorker for life

It doesn't matter at this point whether it's 1003 or 1005. The good news is that we'll be watching this one shoot up to the top....

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...TATE/110729874
Extell lands loan for tallest residential tower

By Theresa Agovino
July 29, 2011

Quote:
Extell Development Co. has reached a deal to secure a $700 million construction loan from Bank of America Corp. for its already-rising skyscraper on West 57th Street, said sources close to the transaction.

Extell broke ground early last year without a loan for what will be the tallest residential building in the city, a 1,005-foot tower across from Carnegie Hall. The property will include a Park Hyatt Hotel and about 136 high-end apartments. The city's tallest residential property is currently New York by Gehry, which is downtown on Spruce Street. It is 870 feet tall.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2011, 9:24 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

now that's news -- extell thunderbirds are go!!!

Old Posted Jul 31, 2011, 9:45 PM

thats pretty good news for the banking climate as well...

Old Posted Aug 1, 2011, 1:29 AM

July 31

Old Posted Aug 1, 2011, 1:57 AM
BANNED

I already have a buddy of mine who is looking into purchasing the penthouse at the top once completed. I can't wait to see what it will look like!

Old Posted Aug 1, 2011, 10:39 AM
NYC to LA

From now on, new update every Sunday by Dan Burnett..

July 31st..

Old Posted Aug 1, 2011, 11:14 AM
New Yorker for life

Nice, haven't had a photo update in a while.

A new height race for New York...
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...googlenews_wsj

Along 57th, New Signs of Edifice Complex

A rendering of 157 W. 57th St., center, a 90-story condo and hotel project near Carnegie Hall that will sprout 1,004 feet high.
Another planned building down the street could top off at more than 1,000 feet.

By CRAIG KARMIN
August 1, 2011

Quote:
The battle to build New York City's tallest, and possibly priciest, residential building is heating up along Manhattan's 57th Street corridor.

Extell Development Co. has leapt ahead. The New York developer already has built 22 floors of a 90-story condo and hotel project that will sprout 1,004 feet high, near Carnegie Hall.

Four blocks to the east, on Park Avenue, Los Angeles-based real-estate investors CIM Group with developer Harry Macklowe are building a tower that they have said privately has the rights to top off at more than 1,000 feet. While they haven't revealed their final plans, people in the New York real estate community expect they will build close to that height.

Meantime, Houston-based developer Hines is trying to revive the stalled MoMA tower project on West 53rd street that has been approved to build up to 1,050 feet.
But don't count out Donald just yet...

Quote:
But Donald Trump, whose east side residential tower could slip to fifth tallest in New York in a few years, wasn't about to concede ground. "I still have a lot of the tallest buildings in the city," he puffed, adding that the Trump International Hotel and Tower in Chicago, a condo-hotel with a roof that sits 1,170 feet above ground, "is taller than all of them."

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2011, 11:23 AM
New Yorker for life

A reminder of the mentioned sites...

Old Posted Aug 1, 2011, 1:35 PM
BANNED

I know this is out of One57, but are they actually going to build Tower Verre? I've heard so much about it, but I am not sure.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2011, 2:40 PM
NYC to LA

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
A reminder of the mentioned sites...
Don't forget 225 West 57th..

Old Posted Aug 1, 2011, 2:41 PM
NYC to LA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseNewYorkCity View Post
I know this is out of One57, but are they actually going to build Tower Verre? I've heard so much about it, but I am not sure.
Yes..Very soon..

Old Posted Aug 1, 2011, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseNewYorkCity View Post
Check the tower verre thread...

Old Posted Aug 1, 2011, 11:46 PM
New Yorker for life

The Real Deal
http://therealdeal.com/newyork/artic...he-new-30-rock

Is One 57 the new 30 Rock?
Even partially complete, the Portzamparc-designed tower represents a breathtaking change to the Central Park South skyline

August 01, 2011
By James Gardner

Quote:
Long before it has topped out, One 57, the goliath designed by Christian de Portzamparc at 157 West 57th Street, is a thing of pharaonic immensity that will be, at 90 stories, the tallest residential tower in the city. It will even dwarf Trump World Tower, which stands at a puny 72 stories, and 8 Spruce Street, which at 76 stories is currently the tallest residential tower in the city.

A project of the Extell Development Company, One 57 has not yet risen so high as to be visible from the park or the Upper East or West sides. But when it does -- in a matter of months, if not weeks -- the skyline looking toward Central Park South will be changed in one of two ways. Either it will remain at its present height, with the exception of this one vastly larger protuberance, or this new intervention will ignite another race to the skies.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2011, 12:48 AM
BANNED

For some reason, I keep on thinking One57 is going to be in the Upper West Side.. I have no idea why.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2011, 2:19 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Again with the kooky 90-floor figure..

Old Posted Aug 2, 2011, 1:30 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
Again with the kooky 90-floor figure..
Trump World Tower used to use that figure. It's more appropriate in this case, though not accurate.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2011, 4:27 PM

Old Posted Aug 3, 2011, 10:23 AM
don't *meddle*...

it's getting worse... :-/

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...TATE/110809978

Concrete talks resume as strike enters Day 2

Widening impact seen if work stoppage continues; key sticking point seen as management's demand for a 20% wage cut on residential and hotel projects.

Quote:
Updated: August 2, 2011 4:00 p.m.

Negotiators from the concrete workers union and an industry association were expected to meet Tuesday afternoon in an attempt to put an end to a two-day walkout that threatens to bring construction at the World Trade Center site to a crawl.

The walkout began Monday, at a section of the World Trade Center transit hub, World Trade Center Tower 1 and other sites scattered across the city, more than a month after the contract covering 2,700 concrete workers expired. Talks between Laborers' Locals 6a, 18a and 20 of the Cement and Concrete Workers of New York and the Cement League, an industry association, have been extended several times past deadlines. There's been progress on most issues, but management's demand for a 20% wage reduction on residential and hotel projects has been a sticking point, an industry source said.

Workers were not striking at the World Trade Center Memorial, which is scheduled to be completed in time for the upcoming tenth anniversary of the 9/11 attacks. But they did walk off their jobs at the new Weill Cornell Medical Center research building on East 69th Street, the industry source said, even though that project is covered by a labor agreement that includes a no-strike clause. An arbitration hearing on that walkout could come as soon as Wednesday.

And they stopped working at Extell Development’s Carnegie 57 luxury hotel and hi-rise project across from Carnegie Hall, even though that project is covered by a no-strike labor agreement. Workers showed up Monday and Tuesday and then left, said David Rothstein, an Extell executive vice president. He said the walkout has impacted scheduling at the site and that a hearing on whether it violated the labor agreement is set for later Tuesday afternoon.

“We don't believe they have any standing to strike PLA sites,” said Louis Coletti, referring to the agreements the industry reached with unions to help jumpstart construction in the face of the downturn. “There's a very specific no-strike provision in them.”

Union officials and officials from the Cement League did not return calls seeking comment.

Union officials have said a full-blown strike could stall work at 34 sites across the city, but the stoppages thus far have been sporadic and the unions have yet to set up formal picket lines.

Workers on Tuesday speculated that construction on the rest of the World Trade Center site would slow significantly if the strike extended into a second week. And the industry source said members of other trades could be laid off if the strike lasted that long.

The workers who milled around just north of an entrance to the World Trade Center site said they gave up a negotiated pay raise less than two years ago to help contractors through tough times. They didn't want to strike, but they said the contractors left them with no choice.

“It's unfortunate that it has to come to this,” said Austin Nolan, a Local 18a member who had been working on a tunnel into Tower 1. “But it's a sacrifice you have to make. It's for the long run. Nobody can afford a 20% pay cut.”
Quote:
"Nobody can afford a 20% pay cut.”
oh hell, those workers are spoiled. they get paid $40/hour, so a 20% pay wouldn't hurt that much (still $32/hour)...
also i'm pretty sure, there are other ways to resolve this problem!

Old Posted Aug 3, 2011, 1:42 PM

One57 is more affected by this than WTC since it's all concrete. I could find plenty of ways to survive on $32/hour. Give me a bucket of concrete and I'll finish the site on $14/hour!*

*Hyperbole.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2011, 2:25 PM
New Yorker for life

I'm not overly concerned. No stoppage is good, but a deal will be reached to get everyone back to work, even if no final agreement on a contract is met. Maybe days, possilbly but not likely even weeks. In the long view of these things getting built, not much time at all. No one wants everything ground to a halt just as we are starting to emerge from the slump brought on by the economy.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive