HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Apr 22, 2009, 11:54 PM

thats what i am hoping would happen
its the best idea
i mean given king george could probably go with a street car but i much think skytrain would be better in the long run
atleast between central and newton

Old Posted Apr 22, 2009, 11:58 PM
Hello World

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
i could see the expo line being expanded and than complimented by an intense street car network
Yup that would work well. the skytrain line should serve as some sort of backbone for future rail-base network.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2009, 12:41 AM

I really hope they do connect cloverdale into it some how
it seems stupid to leave out a place that holds some great events

Old Posted Apr 23, 2009, 12:44 AM

yeah i think expo line to langley centre and than street cars along other routes crisscrossing surrey like along scott road 72nd to 160th or something and another that crosses into fraser heights and down to white rock area

i don't know something

I always thought they should use those huge wasted areas under the large power line cuts

Old Posted Apr 23, 2009, 1:11 AM

couple of them are used as bike green ways currently and lots are planed for bike greenways

Old Posted Apr 26, 2009, 2:46 PM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

Thanks Officedweller for answering my question.

I do like the idea, Whalleyboy, that the extension can go all the way to South Surrey/ White Rock.

However, one problem is, we are going to have a super-long expo line. Is this good to our system? I believe, if it's all the way to White Rock, there would be (current 20 stations) plus another 10?....about 30 in total?

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

Old Posted Apr 26, 2009, 2:56 PM

If they go out to Langley, WhiteRock or Cloverdale they'd have to go through a bunch of farmland from Surrey. I doubt they'll do that with the Skytrain. However with the new Portmann Brige being built there is suppose to be a possible extension for some type of LRT out to Langley in the future.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2009, 6:02 PM

they would more likely space the stations out more going towards langley and white rock
also the main hwy is way out of the way for the city of langley skytrain would likely be usefull down there
and for the most of the expo extension right now its set to serve surrey better then anyone really..i mean if they didnt really care about surrey's people why would they side track it to get to are biggest mall here when metrotown is already along the track
sure it would be a longer commute to vancouver from the end but it also helps surrey's residents get place with in the city faster

Old Posted Apr 26, 2009, 8:39 PM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

They don't have to build a lot of stations through the farmland. What would be better is that they reserve the space for future stations. When those communities do start to develop, they can go and add the stations.

Whalleyboy, largest mall? that's not happening so soon is it?

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

Old Posted Apr 27, 2009, 12:02 AM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

It really would be a great loss for Surrey and Vancouver if TransLink, because of funding shortages, is forced to shelve planned SkyTrain extensions – and especially so if more carbon-exhaust-producing buses must be put on the road as a result of SkyTrain extension cancellations or delays.

SkyTrain is the best transportation option available, especially environmentally.

Commendable is the soon-to-come automated-rail Canada Line, connecting Richmond, the airport and Vancouver.

And ALRT, unlike non-automated Light Rail Transit, will not negatively affect the flow of already-congested traffic, for SkyTrain’s rail runs are all elevated and underground and do not force road-vehicular traffic to a halt along SkyTrain’s routes.

Here in the GVRD, research/polls reveal that what drivers – especially the single occupant vehicle drivers – expect most of public transit in order for them to leave their cars at home, was the stipulation that the public transit be convenient and fast – both of which are the SkyTrain concept’s prime aspects.

Frank G. Sterle, Jr.

White Rock[/QUOTE]

Another supporter of SkyTrain...that lives in White Rock

http://www.bclocalnews.com/opinion/letters/43436957.html

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

Old Posted May 20, 2009, 10:05 PM
victory in near

i have no idea if this has been posted before or where this should be posted.....

Video Link

enjoy

Old Posted May 20, 2009, 11:12 PM

ah yah

i remember one of those friday the 13th movies i think it was used the skytrain as the new york subway - the interior was a dead give away - lol

Old Posted May 20, 2009, 11:13 PM

Convenient AND fast! Skytrain is both, LRT is just convenient but convenience doesn't get you to work quick enough.

Old Posted May 20, 2009, 11:30 PM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

^ hehe....I like that

We have trolley buses and if you want something slow with lots of stops...that's your choice!

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

Old Posted Jun 7, 2009, 10:02 PM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

A quick visual of what I think would be better:

[IMG][/IMG]

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

Old Posted Jun 8, 2009, 5:18 PM

I think skytrain to Whiterock is a pointless exercise. The area would be much better served by a b line along the route showed in blue and commuter rail with a major station in surrey central, linking it to skytrain, then continuing into Vancouver.

There is just way too much empty space between surrey proper and White rock to justify that kind of rapid transit. Not to mention the small population of Whiterock to begin with.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2009, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
I think skytrain to Whiterock is a pointless exercise. The area would be much better served by a b line along the route showed in blue and commuter rail with a major station in surrey central, linking it to skytrain, then continuing into Vancouver.

There is just way too much empty space between surrey proper and White rock to justify that kind of rapid transit. Not to mention the small population of Whiterock to begin with.
Yep. Old retired people down there are not interested in riding a skytrain downtown.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2009, 7:08 PM
Traveller Extraodinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post

Ah, but you forget about South Surrey, which is essentially the shopping district for White Rock. There are a ridiculous amount of townhouses being built there. The current population is around 60,000, twice that of Port Moody. If Port Moody can have a B-Line, Skytrain (Eventually), West Coast Express and regular bus service... I think South Surrey (Or any of Surrey's Town Centres for that matter) could easily support rapid transit or any sort.

But Skytrain? Nah. Too expensive for the distance. It would make much more sense to run LRT through the South Fraser, as if it were an at-grade Skytrain. Connect all the Town Centres (Including Langley City and North Delta) together and reap the economic benefits. The whole South Fraser region is expected to swallow the vast majority of the population growth in the Metro Vancouver Region anyways, so why get them commuting on transit? It is an easy sell.

And I'm sure it could be done for less than the $2.8 Billion they are estimating (Rather, grossly underestimating) to build the UBC line, to serve a tiny fraction of the population. It would be easier (And more cost effective) just to tell UBC to build a Surrey Campus around King George Station. Apparently the demand to get into SFU Surrey is actually now higher than the demand to get into their main campus. Why? Convenience! That's my rant for the day.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2009, 7:40 PM
David

Port Moody only gets Skytrain because it had the good fortune to be located between Lougheed Station and Coquitlam Centre (and because they chose the NW route and not the SE route)

Old Posted Jun 8, 2009, 8:31 PM
Shoebox Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickinacan View Post
And I'm sure it could be done for less than the $2.8 Billion they are estimating (Rather, grossly underestimating) to build the UBC line, to serve a tiny fraction of the population. It would be easier (And more cost effective) just to tell UBC to build a Surrey Campus around King George Station. Apparently the demand to get into SFU Surrey is actually now higher than the demand to get into their main campus. Why? Convenience! That's my rant for the day.
SFU Surrey will be doubling in size in the next 5 years. Several more buildings planned for it, as the university owns a good amount of property around there. I wouldn't doubt that the Central City 2 project would include one or more SFU towers (low-rise, of course) or space.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure