HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Mahogany at Mill Lake in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Abbotsford Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Dec 23, 2009, 10:57 AM

I think if this becomes an issue again, I'm actually going to show up to some meetings and give my voice, because Abbotsford needs to suck it up.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2009, 3:56 PM
Blazed Member - Citygater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodii View Post
I think if this becomes an issue again, I'm actually going to show up to some meetings and give my voice, because Abbotsford needs to suck it up.
you should plan on going out regardless or at least email in to city council and tell them your feelings.

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Dec 23, 2009, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodnorth View Post
you should plan on going out regardless or at least email in to city council and tell them your feelings.
I actually did e-mail the council last time and got a very nice response from George Peary (the mayor) who voted for the project. If only the rest of the council would do the same...

Old Posted Dec 23, 2009, 5:57 PM

Perhaps .... (and I realize we live in a democracy, but ) ...... there should be some kind of GVRD-wide, or "Lower Mainland Transit Area - wide" Density requirement (so many people per so many sq km, or such) before a community is to be considered eleigible for rapid transit of any sort - Skytrain, ALRT, commuter rail, whatever.

This would cause a lot of debate in many communities to be sure, and a lot of hard feelings among certain interest groups would develop, which is tragic.

But perhaps this is the only way to deploy transit in a cit that has a compact reservoir of agricultural land, scant financial resources which must be allocated judiciously, and a population that will, in the long term, be dependent on, (and probably crying out for) rapid transit.

This may sound rather Draconian, but this isn't Kansas City or Dallas or Calgary or Edmonton, where there is a lot of flat hinterland. Here in Vancouver, we have little precious land (much of it already having been bitched up with ugly suburban / commercial sprawl) mountains, oceans, and the USA border hemming us in, and we have no choice but to put transit where it's wanted and needed.

The equally big challenge, in the meantime, is to make sure the ALR stays firmly in place, and that communities, particularly those in the Valley, but elsewhere too, aren't given the leeway to sprawl even more, and become more car-dependent in a city which does not cater to automobiles.

It's a fine balancing act that must be handled with kid gloves and iron fists, but it has to be done -FAST ! ! !

Old Posted Jan 18, 2010, 6:22 PM

Neighbourhood Meeting

Next week there is going to be a Neighbourhood Meeting held for this project. Here are the details from the newspaper ad:

Mahogany at Mill Lake

Quantum Properties (Property Owner) has submitted an application to the
City of Abbostford to build a residential development at 32828 Bevan Avenue.
Please join us at our neighbourhood meeting to discuss the project.

Date: Wednesday, January 27th, 2010
Time: 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm
(32110 Marshall Rd.)

PROPOSED SITE:
32828 Bevan Ave.
Abbotsford, B.C.

Posting opinions about Mahogany on an online forum won't have any impact on whether Council approves the project or not. Everyone should come out to the meeting next week!

Last edited by Julia; Feb 3, 2010 at 11:15 PM.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2010, 2:27 AM

ya totally agree, I was so shell shocked when I heard they denied them the right to build the first time, hopefully council does not make the same mistake again or they will become known as a council that cheerfully allowed uncontrolled suburban sprawl. This might be the chance Abby needs to get some momentum going and densify its "downtown" core. Don't get me wrong i don't think we should turn all of Abby into a high density city. However I believe that in order to have a healthy city Abbotsford will need a viable downtown core.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosstheBoss View Post
ya totally agree, I was so shell shocked when I heard they denied them the right to build the first time, hopefully council does not make the same mistake again or they will become known as a council that cheerfully allowed uncontrolled suburban sprawl. This might be the chance Abby needs to get some momentum going and densify its "downtown" core. Don't get me wrong i don't think we should turn all of Abby into a high density city. However I believe that in order to have a healthy city Abbotsford will need a viable downtown core.
I agree. Our downtown core is in pretty sorry shape right now. Half the sidewalks are warped asphalt, there is little place to live in downtown and it looks like a 1950's street drag what with the close-to-the-curb outdated buildings and ancient, leaning power lines.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2010, 4:53 PM

so anyone going to go to that thing tomorrow, I might go after I get off work might be a tight squeeze for time though. We should try to get a few people out anyway.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2010, 5:43 AM

I would have, but it's kind of hard now that I'm out in Vancouver.

Does anyone have the physics background to put together a shadow radius for the building? The core argument for the "Sun People" is that they will lose their precious sunlight, and that it will permanently cast a shadow over the "jewel" of Abbotsford otherwise known as the shithole that is Mill Lake.

Quote:
Sun People to rise again

By Kevin Mills - Abbotsford News

Published: January 29, 2010 4:00 PM
Updated: January 29, 2010 5:12 PM

1 Comment

Bevan Avenue area residents have once again come together to fight a common cause.

And this time their numbers have increased.

The group of concerned citizens, who dubbed themselves the Sun People, are protesting the construction of a 26-storey tower.

The proposed building, called Mahogany at Mill Lake, would be located at 32828 Bevan Ave.

The project was first introduced last year, but was voted down by council after a heated public hearing.

Abbotsford-based Quantum Properties, who hope to construct the tower, has sent a new application into the city.

While council has yet to address the request, the Sun People are on the move.

“We have already put out a petition and collected 314 signatures,” said Bert Schendel, one of the group’s organizers.

Last year, only 85 signatures were collected. Schendel says that means residents are more riled up than before.

“The people living here at ground zero are the ones most affected,” he said.

The main concerns of the group involve the shading the tower would cause, parking issues and view.

“It’s going to stick out like a sore thumb.”

The new proposal has some changes from the first tower. The current project consists of 26 storeys, instead of 28, but Schendel says that makes little difference.

“It’s still going to be 80 metres high. The whole ball of wax hasn’t really changed at all.”

On Wednesday night, Quantum Properties held an open public information meeting on the tower project.

Diane Delves, president and CEO of Quantum, said the meeting went well, according to staff members who were present.

“I couldn’t be there myself, but I’m told we had a fair number of supporters.”

The company Brook and Associates ran the information meeting for Quantum Properties and reported approximately 45 people attended. Of those who came, 28 (62 per cent) filled out comment cards.

The results were almost even with 14 supporting the project, 12 against and two uncertain.

Delves knows not everybody is in favour of the tower project, but feels those who do support it need to be more vocal this time around.

The public meeting allowed people to get more information, make comments and ask questions.

“There’s a lot of misinformation out there.”

While the application has been sent to the city, it has yet to be discussed in council. Delves estimated March 29 would be the earliest a public hearing could be held.

Schendel says when the meeting comes, the Sun People will be there.
http://www.bclocalnews.com/fraser_va.../83080962.html

Old Posted Feb 2, 2010, 5:09 AM

Ok so seriously these guys from the Abbotsford News are really starting to get on my nerves. THE SUN PEOPLE RISE AGAIN TO FIGHT A COMMON CAUSE. These reporters get on my nerves cause all they do is take something that is actually quite small like the opposition to the Mahogany tower and basically blow the whole situation way out of context. When counselors see this they get uneasy, always trying to do what is popular vs. what is best for Abbotsford they vote on what they think will get them reelected. If maybe a few more of these Sun people had attended the public consultation they may have seen that this tower is actually pretty well thought out. The project has incentives for the community; it will provide much need work to men and women trying to support their families; traffic calming measures have been included. This tower is also close to the new Abbotsford Regional Hospital, which is an area of high employment. If people want the luxury of leaving in downtown Abbotsford new a new regional hospital then they should also be prepared for projects such as this to be built nearby as it makes logical sense. Also if this tower really does block out that much light shouldn't the people of places like Vancouver, Coquitlam, and Burnaby be constantly in the dark lol....no cause now this may shock some NIMBYS the sun actually moves. Next people are going to start saying that we need to get rid of the mountains because they are much bigger then highrises and if uncontrolled will engulf us in darkness. Anyhow I did actually go to this little community get together and found the information given to be very informative and helpful in reaffirming my opinion that this project will be a very important and good thing for Abbotsford. When this project does go before counsel I plan and I hope others will plan to attend to voice their support for this project. I believe the vast majority of residents do want this project to go through, however with a loud and somewhat misinformed minority I fear counselors who usually lack any type of political courage will take the cowards way out and fail to do what is in the long term the best thing for Abbotsford and pass this project. With the population forecasts for Abbotsford showing an incredible trend of upward climb in the coming years I believe that it is time for counsel to finally put a stop to suburban sprawl and focus on creating a healthy, vibrant and livable Abbotsford with a strong downtown core.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2010, 5:44 PM

The architects had their shadow study results at the open house last week. The development won't affect that many homes throught the day.

Last edited by Julia; Feb 3, 2010 at 11:16 PM.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2010, 6:54 PM

Just build a church on the penthouse with dedicated express elevator, instant approval.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2010, 7:59 PM

Unhappy

Haven't read the whole thread but air quality in Abbotsford is awful and 20+ stories up isn't going to be any better.

It's smog from all those thousands of cars starting up in the AM plus ammonia from deteriorating cow manure regularly spread on the fields, people are in for a nasty surprise if they buy out there without spending time in the area at all times of day.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2010, 8:03 AM

According to this:http://www.abbotsford.ca/Assets/Abbo...+City+Page.pdf
It appears that the Abbotsford city council will be going over this later today.

I sent a message to all council members asking for them to think this through with the future of Abbotsford and density, yadda yadda, involved. I hope they actually read it.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2010, 8:25 AM

I have done the same.

I emailed council last time around and received a response from the mayor, who did in fact vote in favour for the project. Hopefully one of the other council members changes their mind.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2010, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Tower casts new shadow

Published: March 15, 2010 10:00 PM
Updated: March 16, 2010 11:54 AM

The controversial Mahogany at Mill Lake tower project could be going to another public hearing.

Council voted 5-4 in favour of receiving the rezoning proposal which would allow a 26-storey high-rise and a four-storey apartment building to be constructed at 32828 Bevan Ave.

This is a revised proposal from Quantum Properties in Abbotsford who originally requested the zoning change last year.

That request was denied after a large public outcry from residents in the area.

Quantum Properties has revised its original plan from a 28-storey structure to 26-storeys which will now be 80 metres in height, instead of 83.

Now that council has received the proposal, it will have to give it first reading before it can go to a public hearing.

“I’m very surprised this proposal has come back before council,” said Coun. Lynne Harris. “I’m astonished that it has come back. Was it not rejected? Has anything changed?”

She went on to call the motion an “atrocity” and said she was “embarrassed” that council was hearing it again. She was also concerned that hearing the application for a second time would send the wrong message.

“If you don’t get your way, you just keep coming back again and again.”

Her comments received a loud round of applause from people attending the council meeting.

Other councillors agreed with Harris’ position.

“It’s just cruel to put people (neighbours) through this again. It’s a tragedy,” said Coun. Simon Gibson.

While emotions were running high, Abbotsford Mayor George Peary reminded council that it was normal for developers to come back to council.

“The developer has done nothing wrong. That point has to be made. They can come to council, every six months,” said Peary.

The motion passed with Harris, Gibson Coun. Les Barkman and Coun. Patricia Ross voting against the motion which will now move forward to first reading.

If council gives the proposal first reading, it will then go to public hearing. No date has been set for a hearing, but the earliest it could take place is April 26.

It is just the first step in what could be a long process.

Residents opposed to the project – who call themselves the Sun People because they fear the tower will cast their homes in shadow – have sent in a petition with 314 signatures opposing the tower.

Organizers vow to attend the public hearing and stop the tower – again.
http://www.bclocalnews.com/news/87738392.html

Damn, the city council sure likes to dance around on the issue. Its so split that its anybody's guess as to whether this tower will make it construction. I guess it will be a resounding "no".

Old Posted Apr 14, 2010, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Tower goes to public hearing

Published: April 13, 2010 11:00 AM
Updated: April 14, 2010 10:50 AM

Residents of Bevan Avenue are again facing the looming shadow of a tower.

Council approved sending the Mahogany at Mill Lake proposal to a public hearing, and “The Sun People” will be there to voice their opposition.

The proposed 26-storey (80 metres) building would be located at 32828 Bevan Ave., featuring an adjacent four-storey apartment building. In total, the construction project would involve 272 units.

“We plan to be out in full force,” said Alan Ferguson, one of the opposition group’s organizers.

The protesters dubbed themselves the Sun People because they fear the tower will cast a shadow on their properties.

They formed last year, when the project first came before council. That application was rejected last May by council after a heated public debate.

In February, the group collected hundreds of signatures on an anti-tower petition which they plan to distribute at the public hearing.

“We want the people who signed the petition to show up in person. We want to show council we are more than just names on paper,” said Ferguson.

Abbotsford-based Quantum Properties sent a new application into the city with some changes that protesters have called “minor.”

The public hearing is scheduled for April 26 at 7 p.m.

“It’s in the public domain now,” said Abbotsford Mayor George Peary, adding that the city has to densify.

While he understands the concerns, Peary asked where should a tower be constructed.

“Will it destroy the neighbourhood? No. Will it change the neighbourhood? Yes.”

The proposal almost didn’t make it to a public hearing as council voted 5-4 to move it forward.

Coun. Les Barkman was one of the four (including Patricia Ross, Simon Gibson and Lynne Harris) against the project.

He believes South Fraser Way is more appropriate for a high-rise, adding the area of Bevan Avenue has too many residential neighbours.

Barkman said six storeys should be the “maximum” in that area.

“I’m not against densification, just this type. It’s a nice project, in the wrong place.”
Abbotsford News - http://www.bclocalnews.com/fraser_va.../90763904.html

Old Posted Apr 28, 2010, 3:38 AM

Quote:
Tower's fate will wait until May 10

Published: April 27, 2010 1:00 AM
Updated: April 27, 2010 3:00 PM

Emotions were running high as supporters and opponents of the proposed Mahogany at Mill Lake tower project came out in full force Monday night.

The public hearing was a battle of the buttons as local residents against the tower – calling themselves the Sun People due to concerns the structure will cast a shadow on their homes – wore sun badges. Those in favour sported large YES buttons.

Four hours and 59 speakers later, council followed standard procedure and deferred voting on the issue until May 10.

That allows two weeks to ponder the comments made on both sides of the argument.

“I stand in opposition to this project . . . it stands 24 storeys higher than any of its neighbours,” said Dr. Kirk Austin

The proposed 26-storey (80 metres) building would be located at 32828 Bevan Ave. and feature an adjacent four-storey apartment building. In total, the project would involve 272 units.

The application first came before council last year but was rejected in May 2009 after a heated public debate.

Abbotsford-based Quantum Properties sent a new application into the city with some changes that protesters have called “minor.”

“What a difference a year makes,” said Alan Ferguson, one of the protest group’s organizers.

Looking at the packed crowd in Matsqui Centennial Auditorium, Ferguson made a verbal jab at the tower’s supporters.

“It’s amazing what an office memo and a box of buttons will do.”

He questioned the public hearing, telling council that many people are “burnt out” by fighting the same issue again.

“Some feel even if we get this voted down, we will be back here again in six months.”

By law, if the tower is rejected, Quantum can re-apply every six months.

While the unofficial tally was 35 speaker against and 24 in favour, the yes side had some heavy-hitters speaking in favour.

David Hull, executive director of the Abbotsford Chamber of Commerce, argued the project fit the requirements of the city’s Official Community Plan and should therefore be approved.

“The council needs to apply objective, consistent, and defensible standards as set out in previously adopted bylaws that empower the OCP. Not to simply reject this application out of hand with what is essentially an indefensible position.”

Paul Esposito Sr., owner of Finnegan’s Pub and the Phoenix Restaurant, said both sides had shown passion and reason in their arguments.

“I believe in development, I believe in Quantum Properties and I believe in your judgment,” he told council.
The Abbotsford News - http://www.bclocalnews.com/fraser_va.../92190139.html

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 5:30 AM

As a former Abbotsfordian (is that what you're called?) I'm pleased I stumbled across this thread. I hope this thing gets built. I like the church suggestion

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 4:54 AM

I was at the meeting tonight, front row. The entire project was approved.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley