HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

2300 Kingsway in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Nov 9, 2011, 11:00 PM

Whoa!
Thanks for posting - it's been a long time since I've driven down that way.

Looks great - much better than King Edward Village.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 10:34 AM
ARTchitecture

It's going up crazy fast!

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2012, 7:32 AM

A drive-by update while I was stopped at a light, so the photos aren't gonna be too spectacular....
This is the north tower:

The one behind it to the south:

Eastern part of the site:

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 6:22 PM

Pic of The Hills - Pics by me Sunday:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 6:37 PM

Wow that is big.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 9:19 PM

I drive-by this building quite often and I think it looks decent. Definitely an improvement on that area! The views from the top floors towards Downtown must be great!

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 9:25 PM

thats the old eldorado site right? kingsway confuses me...

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 9:39 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Yes the old Eldorado site. It'll soon be joined by a 12 storey tower at the old Wally's burger site and 3*14 storey towers at the Canadian Tire site. Are is going to change rapidly over the next 5yrs as developers are snapping up buildings to take advantage of the Norquay plan.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
Yes the old Eldorado site. It'll soon be joined by a 12 storey tower at the old Wally's burger site and 3*14 storey towers at the Canadian Tire site. Are is going to change rapidly over the next 5yrs as developers are snapping up buildings to take advantage of the Norquay plan.
That's crazy. Too bad they are all 1km+ from the Expo Line, along with King Ed Village. Oh well.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 10:50 PM

The distance from the SkyTrain stations shouldn't be too bad as long as there's frequent service to the stations, which I think already does exist. Either that or a shuttle bus could work too if there's a need.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 12:24 AM

Quote:
A while ago I browsed through the floorplans of 2300 Kingsway, and was disappointed by the near-total absence of family-friendly units for such a large project. Is this what we can expect for most developments under the Norquay plan?

Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 1:16 AM

Aren't a lot of developments in Vancouver like such already e.g. small units catered to working singles and couples without families looking for their first home + investors wanting to land a retirement residency spot?

If not, I'd be surprised, as I haven't heard of any single apartment complex of late that had 3 bedrooms units...

Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 1:38 AM

I think the reason is that nobody can afford 3BR+ apartments in this town, so they don't even build those anymore.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 3:21 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Take a look at the Canadian tire data I posted in it's thread, mostly family friendly units.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 5:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan_kuan View Post
The distance from the SkyTrain stations shouldn't be too bad as long as there's frequent service to the stations, which I think already does exist. Either that or a shuttle bus could work too if there's a need.
The #25 runs from the area up Nanaimo to the Skytrain station and is fairly frequent. I was living right behind this development a couple years ago and always wished they'd extend the trolley wires down Nanaimo and extend the #7 to Kingsway to help with tying in the area to the station.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 5:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan_kuan
Aren't a lot of developments in Vancouver like such already e.g. small units catered to working singles and couples without families looking for their first home + investors wanting to land a retirement residency spot?

If not, I'd be surprised, as I haven't heard of any single apartment complex of late that had 3 bedrooms units...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
I think the reason is that nobody can afford 3BR+ apartments in this town, so they don't even build those anymore.
In the context of Vancouver I consider any 2 bedroom unit over 800 sq. ft. to be family friendly. If we only considered 3 bedroom units, we'd pretty much only be considering penthouses... Which is why I'm frustrated when developments even in relatively "out of the way" locations such as this hardly even have any units over the modest 800 sq. ft. threshold!

However I'm pleased to confirm what jlousa said - looking at the floorplans for 2200 Kingsway was like brain bleach

Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huenthar View Post
The #25 runs from the area up Nanaimo to the Skytrain station and is fairly frequent. I was living right behind this development a couple years ago and always wished they'd extend the trolley wires down Nanaimo and extend the #7 to Kingsway to help with tying in the area to the station.
Hrm... actually... yes... the 7 Nanaimo route could be extended down Nanaimo, then circulate around the block that 2300 Kingsway is located on (Nanaimo -> Kingsway -> Slocan -> 33rd -> Nanaimo).

Perhaps the only problem with that would be the same reason why a logical extension of the 16 Renfrew down Hastings to the PNE and to replace the route of the 4 Powell has never been considered...

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 5:41 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

This project never received much attention while under construction. Walked thru it last weekend and for all intents it's now completed and some of the units have been occupied so I'm changing this one to complete. Anyone care to snap some pics of it? It turned out better then I expected at the ground level.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 7:01 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

the light feature on top is nice ... hope it says all lit up!

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 2:52 PM

Quote:
This project never received much attention while under construction. Walked thru it last weekend and for all intents it's now completed and some of the units have been occupied so I'm changing this one to complete. Anyone care to snap some pics of it? It turned out better then I expected at the ground level.
Hopefully this will improve the area...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver