HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 28, 2012, 4:08 PM
Torontonian Refugee

It may be utilitarian, but hey, it's pseudo art-deco and it's got the trademark yellow London bricks.

Your tax dollars at work, folks.

I just read an interesting article from Friday's National Post entitled "Governments Just Don't Get Cities", which pointed out that massive civic megaprojects like this one tend to hurt the urban fabric far more than they help it, and that running a city via a huge government bureaucracy tends to encourage crap like this rather than smaller, more beneficial local projects. I would post but for some reason I can't find it anywhere- may scan and upload it depending on what copyright laws allow.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2012, 4:18 PM
Vorsprung Durch Technik

Quote:
Originally Posted by West_aust View Post
To be demolished soon (Starting Oct.) to make space for the new Deloitte Tower in Montreal
Demolition of that building is underway - Not the same point of view or side, as this is from the courtyard side

Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 11:07 PM
Urban Fanactic

An update on the demolition of St. Mary's Paper in Sault Ste. Marie
Before:

Currently

One of only a few buildings to be saved

All pictures by me.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2012, 6:22 PM
Vorsprung Durch Technik

Montreal - Tour Deloitte Site Prep
12/12/12

Old Posted Dec 18, 2012, 6:42 AM

Hamilton, Ontario - Ivor Wynne Stadium

Old Posted Dec 18, 2012, 6:49 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Here's a funny one. This Chickenburger location (local chain) is now gone. It was renovated only a few months ago. The owner decided to demolish it to build a residential building. It was very strange; from the moment the plans appeared on the forum people questioned why such a valuable spot would be put to such a modest use. Everything around it is being redeveloped.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/meddyga...n/photostream/

Old Posted Dec 18, 2012, 7:00 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Looks like there was a car show unless that photo was taken around 1975.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2012, 7:07 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Here's one that's awaiting demolition. It's the former Grace Hospital nurse's residence in St.John's NL; not used I guess since the hospital closed in 2000, and left to rot by the government. I've heard it is beyond rehabilitation because of total neglect and mold issues. The site will eventually be used for a new courthouse.

photo by me

Old Posted Dec 18, 2012, 7:17 AM
Hammer'd

Another disappointing, completely un-necessary Hamilton demolition:

http://www.cbc.ca/hamilton/talk/stor...ul-wilson.html

(from above link)
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Dec 18, 2012, 7:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
Another disappointing, completely un-necessary Hamilton demolition:

http://www.cbc.ca/hamilton/talk/stor...ul-wilson.html

(from above link)

I read this today -> Opportunity to Save Sanford School and Provide Community Green Space ...some people are trying to save it. I really hope it can be saved.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2012, 7:46 AM

Quote:

Ugh wtf... that's a nice looking building... that's the type of building or at least facade that should be preserved.

Then you see some god awful ugly building saved and wonder.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2012, 9:55 AM
Hammer'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeIsThomas View Post
I read this today -> Opportunity to Save Sanford School and Provide Community Green Space ...some people are trying to save it. I really hope it can be saved.
They were indeed trying but today the school board did their official, final vote to destroy it in January.

http://www.thespec.com/news/local/ar...-avenue-school

I would say the whole process was incredibly difficult, but there wasn't even a process to begin with. No public consultation, no due diligence. It's just coming down, deal with it.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Dec 18, 2012, 5:46 PM

Wow, as someone who went to a high school that looks like a prison built in the 60's, that depresses me to see one like that just tossed away.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2012, 5:52 PM

Very nice looking high school. Unfortunate demolition...

Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 11:48 PM

In Ottawa:

Demolition of Ogilvy building starts in January. Facade along first 3 floors to be preserved for Rideau centre mall expansion.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/demolit...922/story.html

Last edited by drawarc; Dec 20, 2012 at 12:42 AM.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2012, 1:06 AM

My God this thread is depressing. That school in Hamilton and that commercial building in Ottawa could be turn into gorgeous lofts.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2012, 2:26 PM

There are (were) a lot of schools like that in Hamilton. A really big one that's under threat is Delta Collegiate, which will be closing soon. I will be really pissed if they tear it down, but I'm not sure if any use can be found for such a huge institutional building.

The school boards need better planning. Those old neighbourhoods don't have many kids now, but the demographics will change and they'll need those schools again.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2012, 6:21 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
The school boards need better planning. Those old neighbourhoods don't have many kids now, but the demographics will change and they'll need those schools again.
A lot of school boards are really poorly run, and there's little coordination between the people who provide services and planners who determine where stuff goes. There's also an incentive to defer maintenance on the old schools and then go begging to the province for a shiny new school. It's to the point where they only last for 30 years or so in a lot of places. It's a huge waste.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2012, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
I will be really pissed if they tear it down, but I'm not sure if any use can be found for such a huge institutional building.
McMaster never has any need for new off-campus pavilions?

It would be a crime against heritage if that thing gets torn down... I'm aware it's the kind of things they like to do in Hamilton, but I'm crossing my fingers that they know when to stop...

Old Posted Dec 21, 2012, 12:15 AM
I am a typical

Every school in Thunder Bay that has been closed is now being re-used. The main uses are multi-use community centres and condominiums. Basically the only additions to our rental market are schools.

One former school is now the Boys and Girls club which rents out most of its space to over 30 organizations, the high school I went to is a business incubator with another 30 or more businesses in it, a high school down the street is now a law school. A nearby public school is going to become an office building for a local engineering company, employing over 120 people. The fact that we've run out of vacant schools to renovate means that we may very well start seeing new private sector office construction in this city. At this point I honestly can't think of any closed schools that don't have, at the very lease, solid plans for re-use. A lot of them have only a 50% occupancy rate, or so, but they are in use.

The flip side of this coin is, we have very few abandoned buildings period because so much of our heritage has been demolished in the past few years.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada