HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jun 11, 2009, 10:38 PM

ST. LOUIS - All over the place, May 2009

There is no theme--this is just my photo dump from a visit back home. Enjoy!

The Soulard neighborhood, one of St. Louis's oldest neighborhoods, complete with some alley houses.

St. Louis Hills Estates, St. Louis's most recent major subdivision--platted in the 1950s.

New row house development in the Boulevard Heights neighborhood on the city's extreme south side.

A stately Holly Hills home--a 1920s neighborhood named to evoke the glamor of Hollywood.

A renovated autocentric space in Fox Park.

The Old North St. Louis neighborhood, which is undergoing an unbelievable transformation from one of the most pockmarked and vacant neighborhoods in the city to one of its best stories of revival.

A couple shots in the neighboring St. Louis Place neighborhood--a hardhit neighborhood with a couple gems which are highlighted below.

The Catlin Tract in the Skinker-DeBaliviere neighborhood. Massive homes built to front 1,300 acre Forest Park, the crown jewel of the city's park system. Sorry--these were clearly taken from a car while in motion.

The Delmar Loop area, St. Louis's longest and most active commercial strip.

A building I've always loved, in the Northampton neighborhood, the last urban building anchoring the intersection of Chippewa and Kingshighway.

A streetscape view of my parents' block in the Bevo neighborhood.

Tudor style reigns supreme in the Princeton Heights and St. Louis Hills neighborhoods.

This is Hampton Village, one of the nation's first "suburban" shopping centers, even though it's within city limits, straddling the Southampton/St. Louis Hills neighborhoods.

A Northampton commercial space.

Two commercial buildings in the city's Hill neighborhood--the Italian sector. Note the Italian flag colored light pole banners.

Downtown Dutchtown, an old German neighborhood on the South Side.

Back to Holly Hills to a new little store that opened up that my mom wanted to visit.

Benton Park. For the most part, this historic neighborhood just west of Soulard has stabilized and is a very desirable neighborhood. These two beautiful and very old buildings lie fallow, though. The second of the two pictures' homes was recently named to the Landmarks Association of St. Louis's Most Endangered Properties list.

Tower Grove South neighborhood. Most of the neighborhood is turn of the century foursquares and other Revival styles (as seen in the first picture), but there are also large courtyard apartments and some newer construction, like the rare Lustron home in the fifth picture in the series.

The Central West End. I was attending my little brother's graduation in the magnificent Cathedral Basilica of St. Louis, also pictured below (guess which one...)

The Carondelet neighborhood's Bellerive Boulevard, a City Beautiful era boulevard part of an only partially realized system of grand promenades throughout the city.

The Patch neighborhood, St. Louis's southernmost neighborhood and part of the old city of Carondelet, founded just a few years after St. Louis itself. While originally a French Creole neighborhood in the vein of New Orleans, it was quickly dominated by Germans who came in around 1840. Their limestone building practices are still observable in the now largely industrialized neighborhood (at least east of Broadway).

A colorful pair in the Benton Park neighborhood. Sorry for the rearview mirror.

The McKinley Heights neighborhood, just west of Soulard. Most houses are two families built around the late 1880s or early 1900s, but this is a little Creole cottage from an earlier era.

This is a rare three-story Italianate home on the city's North Side, located in a neighborhood known alternately as Covenant Blu and Grand Center.

Back to the Delmar Loop. I had to check out the views from the top of the recently opened Moonrise Hotel. It was a beautiful and clear day, so Downtown, Midtown, and the Central West End's highrises were all easy to view.

The Forest Park Southeast neighborhood, also known as the Grove.

The Compton Heights neighborhood. This house's street tree fell down, but not before the owners decided to memorialize its once welcome shadow with a little paint.

The Cherokee Street commercial area, straddling the Benton Park West and Gravois Park neighborhoods. It's seeing something of a renaissance at the hands of Hispanics, anarchists, artists, etc. (those aren't mutually exclusive, either, of course).

Church's Chicken?

Obligatory Arch shot.

A couple tantalizing shots of Downtown/Downtown West.

Central West End/Midtown randomness.

A walk through Benton Park and Soulard.

A farewell lunch to St. Louis at Crepes in the City, downtown near the Central Library.

A final stop to Lafayette Square for some R&R before a loooong train ride back to New Orleans.

Signing off from my favorite apartment building, located in the Fox Park neighborhood bordering ostentatious Compton Heights.

Hope you enjoyed!

Old Posted Jun 11, 2009, 11:13 PM

St. Louis is so handsome. I'd love to visit ASAP!

Old Posted Jun 11, 2009, 11:24 PM
St. Louis. Bitch.

You could say this city is really fucking cool and you'd be right.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2009, 11:37 PM

What a beautiful tour (of an obviously beautiful city). St Louis has a lot of beautiful old buildings and I love how you captured both the gritty and well kept. Definitely looks like a vibrant, diverse city with a story. Thanks!!

Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 12:24 AM
arf

Now that's all over the place.

Damn you St. Louis and your photogenicdaisciousness.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 2:51 AM

You outdid yourself, good sir. This is what I wanted to see, and I was curious about St.L recently. St.L has a lot of charisma, it's grid based, contains density, and plenty older structures which displays the city history along with the modern, and variation. These are the types of settlements I show interest with in our nation, the U.S. Thanks for posting.

Any exclusive galleries for "Soulard" in the near future.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 3:39 AM

Damn, that's nice. I'm particularly enamored with the older buildings that sport those lateral support beams with the star-shaped end caps. They seem to show up in a lot of Plains-area states.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 4:26 AM

Verrry rarely do I stay hitched to the screen of neighborhood photo threads of this length but I could have scrolled all day long!

Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 4:44 AM
no its not...

Nice...but for some reason these long photo threads freeze up my computer

Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 4:51 AM

Nice tour, one of the better looking threads I've seen of this city's housing stock in a while. I love the lush greenery, but at the same time I can't stand all of the bugs lurking in the vegetation. For some reason the bugs like me even more so than the average person. Just last week during my visit to Chicago, even on a bike trail and not even on the grass, they ate me alive. From my experience with St Louis, the bugs are even worse.

Anyway nice thread, one day I'll have to visit again soon. My future wife grew up in St Louis, and have hinted about us going to meet some of her family.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 8:15 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Some mighty fine neighborhoods represented here. I love all the brick.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 12:18 PM
Red brick mama.

As with the other St. Louis photo thread, this one makes me homesick! I think I'll step outside now..

Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 1:03 PM
Closed account

Quick history lesson - Carondelet was a major union ironclad shipyard for the western gunboat flotilla on the Mississippi during the civil war. I'm guessing the below craft is just upstream from the confluence of the Mississippi on the River des Peres which drains a good part of St. Louis City and a good chunk of the County.

http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/i...000/h45557.jpg

http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/i...a-1/65c703.jpg

Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 1:30 PM

Great job..you covered so much ground. Thanks!

Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 1:40 PM

Beautiful, and great photography too!!
"There is no end of opinions ready to be expressed. Studying them can go on forever and become very exhausting!" Ecc. 12:12 (NLT)

Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 7:56 PM

Matt,
Another fantastic thread, St. Louis keeps flying under the radar. We are the true diamond in the rough.

I noticed on a tour of the Blairmond NorthSide project yesterday that the houses in ONSL with the lime green trim have their backs turned to the street. ie no front door. Other than that, ONSL looks great!

Old Posted Jun 13, 2009, 12:58 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLA View Post
Nice tour, one of the better looking threads I've seen of this city's housing stock in a while. I love the lush greenery, but at the same time I can't stand all of the bugs lurking in the vegetation. For some reason the bugs like me even more so than the average person. Just last week during my visit to Chicago, even on a bike trail and not even on the grass, they ate me alive. From my experience with St Louis, the bugs are even worse.

Anyway nice thread, one day I'll have to visit again soon. My future wife grew up in St Louis, and have hinted about us going to meet some of her family.
I'm guessing the geography/climate of New Orleans is your absolute worst nightmare! And yes, the bugs are worse down in St. Louis depending on where you are. In the drier, more urban/concrete areas in the central corridor I haven't noticed mosquitoes like down here on the dirty ass southside...you get used to bugs and humidity though at some point, and liquor helps down in NOLA and on the beach over in Maryland.

I'll be in L.A. soon, my first time in California (I've looked into California from above Crater Lake in Oregon 100 miles north). I'm really looking forward to walking across town...I've really come to appreciate L.A. because of this website.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2009, 2:12 AM
Red Hook Aficionado

Excellent tour. I am developing a real fascination with St. Louis.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2009, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanNation View Post
I'm guessing the geography/climate of New Orleans is your absolute worst nightmare! And yes, the bugs are worse down in St. Louis depending on where you are. In the drier, more urban/concrete areas in the central corridor I haven't noticed mosquitoes like down here on the dirty ass southside...you get used to bugs and humidity though at some point, and liquor helps down in NOLA and on the beach over in Maryland.

I'll be in L.A. soon, my first time in California (I've looked into California from above Crater Lake in Oregon 100 miles north). I'm really looking forward to walking across town...I've really come to appreciate L.A. because of this website.
Well its not just mosquitoes, if you want to know if you have fleas in your home, just let me walk in and I could tell you in a matter of seconds. I swear I would be the only person in a crowd they will bite. Someone once told me something about certain people blood that easily attract them.

Anyway I do love the vegetation, but I certainly can't enjoy it in St Louis, nor even Chicago during the spring and summer months. Now in Los Angeles, I have no problems laying in the grass, and enjoying the vegetation. Something you will find quite nice, not to get ate up walking through grass. Although mosquitoes are here as too (just not as bad) , we don't have all those other critters just lurking in the grass waiting eat you alive.

Should you have time, be sure to contact us LA forumers. Perhaps we can offer up the grand tour.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2009, 10:07 PM
IWant2BeInSTL

great shots and tour/history, mmourning! as others have said, makes me homesick. think i'll just step outside into... oh, charlottesville. well, at least i have your pics.

by the way, you got my friend's house!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos