HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Sutton Place Nova Centre in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Oct 23, 2012, 12:44 AM
Source?

Out of curiosity have they done anything about the trucks going through downtown? Or at least have plants to deal with it?

Old Posted Oct 23, 2012, 12:58 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I'd say the best (only?) plan so far for dealing with the truck traffic is the plan for a third bridge.

So far the argument against the bridge seems to be that it's for cars and cars are bad so the bridge proposal is evil. The reality is much more complicated: the bridge would be user pay, it would deal with the trucks, and it could support a bus/HOV lane. On top of all that there's a big advantage to putting new development on empty land 5 km away from the downtown (Shearwater area) instead of 20 km away in Hammonds Plains or Fall River.

Imagine how much better it would have been had Halifax's regional airport been built at Shearwater and connected to the downtown core with a southern bridge.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2012, 5:09 PM

Public Engagement

Hi everyone,

I'm working with the Build Your Centre public engagement team and just wanted to say hi and invite you to the events. Great to see you discussing the project and new designs!

Next one is tonight at the Westin 5-7 (also happening is Fusion Halifax's VivaCity 2012 event which you might be interested in).

Details here: http://buildyourcentre.ca/public-eng...-engagement-2/

Tonight we're showing preliminary designs for Grafton Street and a major re-design of the Argyle Atrium.

Looking forward to feedback on the new concepts.

Thanks!
- Ian

Old Posted Oct 24, 2012, 6:00 PM

Will this be available on a webcast?

Old Posted Oct 24, 2012, 6:17 PM

Thumbs up

Yes, it'll be streaming right from the homepage (http://buildyourcentre.ca), and we'll be tweeting as well (https://twitter.com/BuildYourCentre).

Old Posted Oct 24, 2012, 6:21 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Another "rad", oh no!

Welcome to the forums!

Old Posted Oct 24, 2012, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I'd say the best (only?) plan so far for dealing with the truck traffic is the plan for a third bridge.

So far the argument against the bridge seems to be that it's for cars and cars are bad so the bridge proposal is evil. The reality is much more complicated: the bridge would be user pay, it would deal with the trucks, and it could support a bus/HOV lane. On top of all that there's a big advantage to putting new development on empty land 5 km away from the downtown (Shearwater area) instead of 20 km away in Hammonds Plains or Fall River.

Imagine how much better it would have been had Halifax's regional airport been built at Shearwater and connected to the downtown core with a southern bridge.
I still think the rail cut is an obvious solution to the truck problem and even a transit express route.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2012, 9:16 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

The rail cut is another option. There was some talk a while ago of the province contemplating turning part of it into a road but I don't know how realistic that is (can it even fit 2 lanes?).

I don't think it's a great transit route but it makes a lot of sense as a connector between the port and 102, assuming it's possible to fit in both a truck route and the rail. There would of course be some opposition from those living in houses next to the rail cut. There aren't a lot of houses right next to the cut though and, well, it's been an industrial corridor for 100 years.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2012, 9:45 PM

This project has got me all giddy , can't wait for some pics when the crane(s) go up

Old Posted Oct 24, 2012, 10:01 PM
we built this city

Quote:
The rail cut is another option. There was some talk a while ago of the province contemplating turning part of it into a road but I don't know how realistic that is (can it even fit 2 lanes?).

I don't think it's a great transit route but it makes a lot of sense as a connector between the port and 102, assuming it's possible to fit in both a truck route and the rail. There would of course be some opposition from those living in houses next to the rail cut. There aren't a lot of houses right next to the cut though and, well, it's been an industrial corridor for 100 years.
It could probably fit 2-3 lanes with room for bikes on either side... its massive and could be made wider without much expense.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2012, 10:31 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconrad View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm working with the Build Your Centre public engagement team and just wanted to say hi and invite you to the events. Great to see you discussing the project and new designs!

Next one is tonight at the Westin 5-7 (also happening is Fusion Halifax's VivaCity 2012 event which you might be interested in).

Details here: http://buildyourcentre.ca/public-eng...-engagement-2/

Tonight we're showing preliminary designs for Grafton Street and a major re-design of the Argyle Atrium.

Looking forward to feedback on the new concepts.

Thanks!
- Ian
I love the new designs. Especially Grafton Plaza (thankfully this was left open to pedestrian traffic).

There are several recent renderings (source: http://buildyourcentre.ca/public-eng...-engagement-2/ )

Old Posted Oct 24, 2012, 10:43 PM

I can't seem to find the link to the video feed.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2012, 11:11 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

There was a live feed but I guess it is gone. Maybe they will put up a video later.

I think the Grafton Plaza looks severe and overwhelmed by the upper level. Some of that may be due to the shading in the rendering but partly I think it's also due to the hard angles and the ratio of the width of the street to the height of the "roof" above.

It would be nice to see some night renderings showing how the lighting will work. The retail will also be important; the plain glass walls look sterile, but presumably there will be stores (ideally some major retailers that will be new to the downtown area -- this isn't far from either Spring Garden Road or Barrington) with signs and stuff in them. Hopefully they'll also get some good public art.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2012, 1:14 AM
BUILD!

That new rendering looks very nice. Maybe they should consider replacing that head statue with a LIGHTHOUSE?

Hopefully we see a crane on site in the next few months (or at least before it snows too much).

Old Posted Oct 25, 2012, 1:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmcclassic View Post
That new rendering looks very nice. Maybe they should consider replacing that head statue with a LIGHTHOUSE?
I thought it was an igloo.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2012, 2:11 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
I think the Grafton Plaza looks severe and overwhelmed by the upper level. Some of that may be due to the shading in the rendering but partly I think it's also due to the hard angles and the ratio of the width of the street to the height of the "roof" above.
I was at the Philadelphia Convention Center a couple of years ago and it has a covered street that is only one storey high - http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=philade...21.34,,0,-5.91. It is certainly a dark and unpleasant looking street. Luckily the Nova Centre renderings show a couple of storeys height above Grafton Street. It appears as though the atrium from Argyle Street will allow additional light to get through to Grafton Street.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2012, 1:35 PM

Covering Grafton is my one big worry about this project. Turning streets into underground spaces rarely works out. The Philadelphia example is a good demonstration of the pitfalls! In Calgary, 3rd Street Southwest has been covered over by the Eaton/TD Centre and all that keeps it from being truly awful is that it's mercifully short. It's always so much darker and dingier in there. It really makes for a hostile streetscape.

Calgary

The original plan to have a much more airier Grafton by putting the convention centre space underground was probably better.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2012, 3:55 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaustin View Post
Covering Grafton is my one big worry about this project. Turning streets into underground spaces rarely works out. The Philadelphia example is a good demonstration of the pitfalls! In Calgary, 3rd Street Southwest has been covered over by the Eaton/TD Centre and all that keeps it from being truly awful is that it's mercifully short. It's always so much darker and dingier in there. It really makes for a hostile streetscape.

Calgary

The original plan to have a much more airier Grafton by putting the convention centre space underground was probably better.

It would help if the centre where the half face is was completely open above instead of the same roof openings as the rest.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2012, 4:57 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

One thing that doesn't come through very well is the skylights. They might make a big difference, but their impact isn't very apparent from the shading in the rendering. The night time appearance of the street is also very important. If it's well-lit it could actually be a lot more hospitable than surrounding streets, particularly when it's raining.

I think it would be good to have something to break up the "slab" appearance of the floor above Grafton. The old design had an arch. Then again, maybe this design would turn out okay and would have some novelty since there's no other block downtown like it.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2012, 6:38 PM

I think it might be more attractive to have a closed atrium with a glass ceiling than a covered, open street. A sunlit atrium would be attractive in winter. This would hinge on the ability to split the convention space upstairs in two chunks that are connected by bridges that cross the atrium rather than being one monolithic block though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth