HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

270 Park Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 12:57 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Right, so it's still quite possible we have a 1,400 footer on the way

I'm relieved it won't be a skinny chimney either
A lot of people do not like the chimneys, I understand. However, a big ass box is not any better IMO, because they are ugly and overbearing on the street and are usually totally charmless corporate containers. I hope that the design is nicer than that otherwise I'd take an interesting industrial smoke stack building instead. Design #1.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 5:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
These are all from official documents with the DOB. The highest number refers to the perimeter wall height. That number doesn't necessarily reflect a final height. As far as the office space number, that has been established since this building was going through the approvals process. The amount of mechanical space is in line with office towers. Keep in mind that when given the size of a building, most times it is the gross sf that is given, meaning mechanical space as well. Mechanical space doesn't count in terms of allowable zoning of floor space.

Do you know if the " Brag/ Event Space " counts toward the office space or the non-office space? There used to be a penthouse on the top 4 floors in 383 Madison called the Pierpont center but has since been converted to the executive offices. There was a similar space in 270 as well, but I can't remember what it was called.

Also, I went to an event at the new client center in 390 Madison. All I can say if this is their temporary space, this new building will be amazing.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 12:58 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Well, it's an office building, don't know how you figured it could be a "chimney" building. But still, it's very close to 1 Vanderbilt, and could still end up too bulky.
I know, I'm saying I'm glad it won't be a chimney. I personally don't mind the 57th street towers (i.e. the chimneys) but variety is also nice. It does look bulky in the massing, at least from one angle, but if it's nice looking I'm glad it'll stand out and hope it compliments Vanderbilt instead of overpowering it.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 1:12 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parzival718 View Post
Do you know if the " Brag/ Event Space " counts toward the office space or the non-office space? There used to be a penthouse on the top 4 floors in 383 Madison called the Pierpont center but has since been converted to the executive offices. There was a similar space in 270 as well, but I can't remember what it was called.

Also, I went to an event at the new client center in 390 Madison. All I can say if this is their temporary space, this new building will be amazing.

Any type of usable or occupied space would count towards floor area for zoning purposes.

SEPTEMBER 17, 2019

14. A look at the new branch at 390 Madison, where Chase has leased more office space...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 2:11 PM

I can't tell, but has the height of the building dropped at all yet?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 4:29 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramsjdg View Post
I can't tell, but has the height of the building dropped at all yet?
No, they're still in the process if moving glass and other interior demolition.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 4:46 PM
Show me the blueprints

I haven't been following every little bit of this thread so if it's beeen asked already my apologies. Does anyone have inside knowledge of the level of salvage vs. scrap in this demo? That is, for example, are the windows being removed and sold for potential reuse in some manner or is the glass just going to be busted up and hauled to a glass recycler/producer. And what about interior finshes, many of which I can only imagine are very high end.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 3:14 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 5:01 AM

That's the best angle on 1 Vandy I've seen yet... Spire sure looks taller than 100' from that perspective.

270 has an uphill road to beat that.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 6:22 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramsjdg View Post
That's the best angle on 1 Vandy I've seen yet... Spire sure looks taller than 100' from that perspective.

270 has an uphill road to beat that.

I'm just a little bit nervous about 270 being too bulky and blocky, messing up the vibe of Vanderbilt.

From this angle, it will rise at least midway the height of the spire...that's a lot of bulky going up against Vandy. I hope we get some type of crown at the top than can be lit as well.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2keGrrnyZh/

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2kalZcn0_h/

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 6:43 AM

This just seems very wasteful.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 3:39 PM
Metal Up Your !

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
This just seems very wasteful.
Is it? Compared to your lifestyle? You're just simply vrtue-signaling.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 4:24 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotizzy View Post
Is it? Compared to your lifestyle? You're just simply vrtue-signaling.
It's turning out to be a better deal for Chase, while simultaneously pumping new blood into the city's top business district. A win for all around, wasteful, not so much.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 1:44 AM

I used to work security on this building back in 2008, the views are by far the best I've ever experienced. In my opinion best location, I had access to the top executives offices during weekend after hours, the luxury and views where amazing.

[IMG]khkj by Franco Blanco, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSCN4639 by Franco Blanco, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSCN4633 by Franco Blanco, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSCN4630 by Franco Blanco, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 1:58 AM

I remember when I was working there that Bearn and Stern next door went bankrupt, JP Morgan took most employees to this building and they where rebuilding it completely interiorly, they must have spend countless millions back in 2008, now they are tearing it down, so to talk about wastefulness is the least. this is nothing to them.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 5:21 AM
A before E

Only in New York would they tear down a perfectly good tower to build another tower. Nothing wrong with that, they seem to be doing a more strategic tear down that might actually preserve much of the materials for reuse, which would be great.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 3:09 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BXFrank View Post
I remember when I was working there that Bearn and Stern next door went bankrupt, JP Morgan took most employees to this building and they where rebuilding it completely interiorly, they must have spend countless millions back in 2008, now they are tearing it down, so to talk about wastefulness is the least. this is nothing to them.
they got 10yrs out of the rehab — thats so crazy.

thanks for giving us some perspective from somebody who has actually worked in the building.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 3:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
they got 10yrs out of the rehab — thats so crazy.

thanks for giving us some perspective from somebody who has actually worked in the building.
Tearing down a perfectly good building like this is still quite wasteful. You don't have to have worked in the building to have an opinion on that fact.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 3:33 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavioliAficionado View Post
Tearing down a perfectly good building like this is still quite wasteful. You don't have to have worked in the building to have an opinion on that fact.
yep.

i wasnt trying to tie the two together.

maybe i missed something, but i dont think we have had anyone who has actually worked in the building, or even been up in it, comment on this thread before. thats always an interesting take.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 6:18 PM

Ok so those who oppose to tearing down a 1960s box building need to understand is a bigger movement going on, back to the big picture, Park Avenue rezoning is to renovate the area and compete with lower cost of leasing Hudson Yards and others which their buildings are modern, having smart technological amenities, modern company computer system floors, if you ever been in a modern digitalized conference room or office space you’ll know the difference from a 1960s, this is to attract the new modern tenants and or not have them leave. Yes is location by Grand Central a plus but we’re in a new era and companies can’t compete having an outdated building. They know what is waste and investment, they make billions and know how to invest billions better than you and me.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction