HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 5:47 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
I think every departure from his cabinet of high profile figures casts further doubt on his leadership and further reinforces the view that he is an unpleasant dictator. My theory is Baird knows what's coming with the Duffy trial and maybe knows something else of what's coming and jumped ship early. I can't wait to watch the Conservatives tear themselves apart trying to depose Harper.
Hmm, interesting theory. Let's hope it sticks coming into the next election.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 6:12 PM
Fake News

An actual article on the subject.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle22757257/

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 6:15 PM
Mooderator

His mouth does not belong in his body.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 6:31 PM

Baird is a big loss. Many people do not realize it, particularly because of some of his antics, but Baird is a very well respected parliamentarian in the House of Commons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Not actually. He was at risk for re-election. He actually changed seats for this election out of concern for his re-election, he moved from Ottawa West (where he would have very likely been defeated--308 projecting Liberal pickup there even with a CPC minority) to Nepean (where it's a tight race--308 has it on the ropes).
His riding was split and he chose the area that was safest, nothing odd about that. However, I do remember seeing something at the time he decided to run there about how it would have been better for the party if he ran in Ottawa West because he would have won and a non-incumbent Conservative would have probably won Nepan easily.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
Baird is a big loss. Many people do not realize it, particularly because of some of his antics, but Baird is a very well respected parliamentarian in the House of Commons.

His riding was split and he chose the area that was safest, nothing odd about that. However, I do remember seeing something at the time he decided to run there about how it would have been better for the party if he ran in Ottawa West because he would have won and a non-incumbent Conservative would have probably won Nepan easily.
No. Almost all of the new Nepean riding comes from the former Nepean-Carleton riding (Pierre Pollievre's riding). Very little of it comes from Ottawa West-Nepean (Baird's current riding).

Here's the summary, three Ottawa ridings:
-Ottawa-West Nepean: Baird's current riding, almost completely unchanged in redistribution. Likely to be a Liberal pickup.
-Nepean: Consisting of part of the former Nepean-Carleton riding (Pierre Pollievre's riding), and where John Baird was running again. Likely going to be a tight race between the Liberals & Conservatives.
-Carleton: Consisting mostly of part of the former Nepean-Carleton riding, with bits of what used to be other ridings too, where Pierre Pollievre is running again. Safe Conservative seat as it consists mainly of rural and exurban areas.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 7:00 PM

Funny how the gay guy ended up being the only man in the cabinet.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 8:22 PM

Just saw on the CBC ticker that he's stepping down as MP in the coming days, so not staying on until the election either.

He may temporarily go to the private sector, but I don't think for a minute that this is the last we've seen of Baird.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 9:40 PM

Interesting article from Maclean's:

http://www.macleans.ca/politics/otta...d-stage-right/

The implication seems to be that word on the hill is that Baird wasn't confident the Conservatives could win another majority government and he and Harper had differences over Russia. Doesn't seem like the first time, as when Harper insisted no NDP or Liberals accompany the government mission to Kyiv Baird made a point of bringing the opposition Foreign Affairs critics along with him everywhere for the next 2 months to make a point. Maybe the combination of the prospect of having to work in a minority government again and having differences with the PMO combined to create an atmosphere where Baird didn't feel like he was going to be able to exercise the power he wanted to in the future and accomplish the sorts of things he wanted to accomplish. At the end of the day, partisanship aside, I think politicians get into politics because they want the power to change the world for the better, and when you feel like you might lose that, why not go try to do something else with your life? He's created something of a legacy, he's 'done' being a statesman, maybe it was just time to get out while the going was good?

All that said, if true it doesn't say much for the way the Harper government is being run when a talented cabinet minister doesn't enjoy being a part of it and doesn't believe in it enough to want to keep sticking around. If this were a private company and it couldn't retain talent, couldn't create an environment where people felt fulfilled enough to want to stay, it wouldn't say much for management.

Last edited by BIMBAM; Feb 3, 2015 at 9:51 PM.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 9:52 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Interesting article from Maclean's:

http://www.macleans.ca/politics/otta...d-stage-right/

The implication seems to be that word on the hill is that Baird wasn't confident the Conservatives could win another majority government and he and Harper had differences over Russia. Doesn't seem like the first time, as when Harper insisted no NDP or Liberals accompany the government mission to Kyiv Baird made a point of bringing the opposition Foreign Affairs critics along with him everywhere for the next 2 months to make a point. Maybe the combination of the prospect of having to work in a minority government again and having differences with the PMO combined to create an atmosphere where Baird didn't feel like he was going to be able to exercise the power he wanted to in the future and accomplish the sorts of things he wanted to accomplish. At the end of the day, partisanship aside, I think politicians get into politics because they want the power to change the world for the better, and when you feel like you might lose that, why not go try to do something else with your life? He's created something of a legacy, he's 'done' being a statesman, maybe it was just time to get out while the going was good?

All that said, if true it doesn't say much for the way the Harper government is being run when a talented cabinet minister doesn't enjoy being a part of it and doesn't believe in it enough to want to keep sticking around. If this were a private company and it couldn't retain talent, couldn't create an environment where people felt fulfilled enough to want to stay, it wouldn't say much for management.
No surprise there. Maybe he got sick of Harper being so ultra partisan, creating controversy, then throwing Baird or other ministers to the wolves in the aftermath?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 10:02 PM
Fake News

I always liked this political cartoon of John Baird.

This was a good one too.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 10:03 PM

"I'm not sure we want flash mobs. I don't know what a flash mob is. It sounds a bit disconcerting... I don't like the context of either word." - John Baird, on promoting the youth vote

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 10:08 PM
Fake News

Sorry but this one was too good not to post! They should have included him throwing feces in the picture.

Last edited by O-tacular; Feb 3, 2015 at 11:36 PM.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 10:11 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIce View Post
"I'm not sure we want flash mobs. I don't know what a flash mob is. It sounds a bit disconcerting... I don't like the context of either word." - John Baird, on promoting the youth vote
Yeah, as much as Harper steers the ship Baird was every bit as slimy and underhanded. Not to mention a complete bully who would do anything to save his own hide. Then again the part about self preservation could probably apply to most politicians but still...

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Yeah, as much as Harper steers the ship Baird was every bit as slimy and underhanded. Not to mention a complete bully who would do anything to save his own hide. Then again the part about self preservation could probably apply to most politicians but still...
I just thought it was funny he didn't know what a flash mob was and that he thought it sounded dangerous. Like your grandmother.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 11:26 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIce View Post
I just thought it was funny he didn't know what a flash mob was and that he thought it sounded dangerous. Like your grandmother.
Hahaha! True. Well you know how hip Conservatives are...

Old Posted Feb 4, 2015, 12:15 AM

That MacLean's article is by Paul Wells. He has a massive anti-Harper agenda which makes his writing on any related subject extremely biased, not that I'm a fan of Harper either.

I do think that Harper is extremely paranoid, and he'll be ramping up the paranoia with recent poll results.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2015, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny D Oh View Post
That MacLean's article is by Paul Wells. He has a massive anti-Harper agenda which makes his writing on any related subject extremely biased, not that I'm a fan of Harper either.

I do think that Harper is extremely paranoid, and he'll be ramping up the paranoia with recent poll results.
I've always found Paul Wells to be very conservative actually. I subscribe to MacLean's and he has written many pro Harper stories.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2015, 2:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis3000 View Post
I've always found Paul Wells to be very conservative actually. I subscribe to MacLean's and he has written many pro Harper stories.
I got his book on Harper, "The Longer I'm Prime Minister," last Christmas. As I said, I would be one of the last to vote for Harper. If Harper were Saddam getting 96% of the vote, I'd be in that 4%. But, that book is one of the most transparently biased political books I've ever read (I've got a honours BA in Canadian History and Politics so I've read a few) written by someone who would identify as a journalist. Ever since then I've had a hard time reading his commentary and taking anything of value from it.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2015, 2:21 AM
✌ ❤ ➅

Good riddance! Best news of the day for me. I couldn't stand Baird, I thought he was colossal embarrassment.

I don't know if this is relevant or not, but John Baird joins a pretty large list of conservatives who won't be seeking re-election. I'm not sure if is just a coincidence that so many are calling it quits, I'm not sure if the number of people leaving is normal or not, and I'm not sure if this means that conservatives are jumping off the ship before it gets ugly. I'm not sure because the Star offers zero analysis here, just a list.

Quote:
John Baird tops long list of Conservatives not seeking re-election
Some two dozen Conservative MPs will not be seeking re-election.

Foreign Affairs Minister John Baird (Ottawa West—Nepean), who announced his resignation Tuesday, is one of some two dozen Conservative MPs who will not be running in this year’s federal election.

Here are the others who have so far decided to bow out:
Diane Ablonczy: Calgary—Nose Hill
Mike Allen: Tobique—Mactaquac
Ray Boughen: Palliser
Garry Breitkreuz: Yorkton—Melville
Rod Bruinooge: Winnipeg South
Patricia Davidson: Sarnia—Lambton
Barry Devolin: Haliburton—Kawartha Lakes—Brock
Peter Goldring: Edmonton East
Richard Harris: Cariboo-Prince George
Laurie Hawn: Edmonton Centre
Russ Hiebert: South Surrey—White Rock—Cloverdale
Gerald Keddy: South Shore—St. Margaret’s
Greg Kerr: West Nova
Ed Komarnicki: Souris—Moose Mountain
James Lunney: Nanaimo—Alberni
Colin Mayes: Okanagan—Shuswap
Rick Norlock: Northumberland—Quinte West
Gordon O’Connor: Carleton—Mississippi Mills
LaVar Payne: Medicine Hat
Joe Preston: Elgin—Middlesex—London
Gary Schellenberger: Perth—Wellington
Joy Smith: Kildonan—St. Paul
Brian Storseth: Westlock—St. Paul
Maurice Vellacott: Saskatoo—Wanuskewin
http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2...-election.html

I did read that Baird was thinking of leaving for quite some time because he didn't/doesn't think the conservatives will get another majority. I would have to agree with him here. If the dollar, the price of oil and economic growth stays low and Harper is unable to balance the budget for an eight year in a row, then people might finally start to have doubts about his economic stewardship. This coupled with the Duffy trial will make it difficult for Harper to get another majority.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2015, 8:21 AM

Baird knows Harper very well and knows that if Baird begins to voice his displeasure over some of his policies then Harper would have no trepidation of throwing Baird to the wolves.

One only has to ask Nigel Wright how Harper is willing to dispose of his most trusted friends if he finds it advantageous.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada