HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #41  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2010, 9:40 PM
Keith P.'s Avatar
Keith P. Keith P. is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 6,043
The amount of time this has taken to get to this point is just ridiculous. the amount of time it will take until something is actually built is even more ridiculous. What is the WDC thinking?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #42  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2010, 9:48 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is online now
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 21,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
What is the WDC thinking?
They get to collect their paycheques either way?
__________________
flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #43  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2010, 11:06 PM
sdm sdm is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
The amount of time this has taken to get to this point is just ridiculous. the amount of time it will take until something is actually built is even more ridiculous. What is the WDC thinking?
Well i give the developer credit to sticking with it as the WDC extended the lease at the bio science building in 2006 (expiring 2011). Most would have pulled out. If the project was not stalled by this lease extension i truly believe a majority of the project would have been built by now.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #44  
Old Posted Oct 20, 2010, 12:30 AM
fenwick16 fenwick16 is offline
Honored Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Toronto area (ex-Nova Scotian)
Posts: 5,558
Might there be a connection between the announcement of the Queen's landing proposal and the Nova Centre proposal on the same day by the NDP? I also read that the NDP is considering a land swap in this area next to the Law Courts building.

The reason that I was thinking about this is because I watched the Haligonia.ca broadcast of the Nova Centre financing discussions at HRM council today and heard an interesting fact - it will take about one full year to finishing excavating the two blocks for the Nova Centre (and I can add that they will be excavating 50 - 70 feet deep). So I started wondering where all that Nova Centre rock would be dumped. The Queen's landing is only a few blocks away from the Nova Centre and the Queen's Landing isn't expected to begin for at least 5 years. Could the Queen's Landing area be the planned location for an in-fill project to get rid of all the Nova Centre excavated rock? If not, then where would it be dumped?

Here is a map link http://www.bing.com/maps/explore/#/s723fp2lfdogoynp . The two locations are very close and were announced on the same day by the NDP ...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45  
Old Posted Oct 20, 2010, 12:38 AM
sdm sdm is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
Might there be a connection between the announcement of the Queen's landing proposal and the Nova Centre proposal on the same day by the NDP? I also read that the NDP is considering a land swap in this area next to the Law Courts building.

The reason that I was thinking about this is because I watched the Haligonia.ca broadcast of the Nova Centre financing discussions at HRM council today and heard an interesting fact - it will take about one full year to finishing excavating the two blocks for the Nova Centre (and I can add that they will be excavating 50 - 70 feet deep). So I started wondering where all that Nova Centre rock would be dumped. The Queen's landing is only a few blocks away from the Nova Centre and the Queen's Landing isn't expected to begin for at least 5 years. Could the Queen's Landing area be the planned location for an in-fill project to get rid of all the Nova Centre excavated rock? If not, then where would it be dumped?

Here is a map link http://www.bing.com/maps/explore/#/s723fp2lfdogoynp . The two locations are very close and were announced on the same day by the NDP ...
Simple answer, no. Queens Landing will be removing fill as they have underground parking within the proposal.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #46  
Old Posted Oct 20, 2010, 12:55 AM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is online now
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 21,582
I'm guessing they'd be trucking it out to Bedford or whatever.

It will be cool to watch them excavate down that far. 70 feet is quite deep.
__________________
flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #47  
Old Posted Oct 20, 2010, 1:15 AM
kph06's Avatar
kph06 kph06 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,664
Most of the rock on the peninsula is pyritic slate, Bedford is currently the only nearby dumping spot for it. An old classmate of mine works for the contracter doing the excavation on the convention center if it goes and they will be blasting much of the material.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #48  
Old Posted Oct 20, 2010, 1:18 AM
worldlyhaligonian worldlyhaligonian is offline
we built this city
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I'm guessing they'd be trucking it out to Bedford or whatever.

It will be cool to watch them excavate down that far. 70 feet is quite deep.
Fingers crossed.

NC will clearly add some parking in that area...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #49  
Old Posted Oct 20, 2010, 1:18 AM
fenwick16 fenwick16 is offline
Honored Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Toronto area (ex-Nova Scotian)
Posts: 5,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
Most of the rock on the peninsula is pyritic slate, Bedford is currently the only nearby dumping spot for it. An old classmate of mine works for the contracter doing the excavation on the convention center if it goes and they will be blasting much of the material.
Thank for the information. I guess they will need several trucks running continuously to get it out there. Is that where the excavated ground from the Trillium was trucked to?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #50  
Old Posted Oct 20, 2010, 1:42 AM
Dmajackson's Avatar
Dmajackson Dmajackson is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: B3K Halifax, NS
Posts: 8,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
Most of the rock on the peninsula is pyritic slate, Bedford is currently the only nearby dumping spot for it. An old classmate of mine works for the contracter doing the excavation on the convention center if it goes and they will be blasting much of the material.
Logical and probably correct. The Bedford Waterfront is also owned by a provincial body so if fill is still required then both projects are likely to get cheap dumping in the Basin, especially Queen's Landing.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #51  
Old Posted Oct 20, 2010, 1:45 AM
Keith P.'s Avatar
Keith P. Keith P. is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 6,043
Maybe they could use it to jack up Citadel Hill 70 feet or so and let us get some taller buildings downtown.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #52  
Old Posted Oct 20, 2010, 1:51 AM
fenwick16 fenwick16 is offline
Honored Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Toronto area (ex-Nova Scotian)
Posts: 5,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Maybe they could use it to jack up Citadel Hill 70 feet or so and let us get some taller buildings downtown.
The idea of infilling the Citadel might upset some people (me included).

On a related topic, they might find some tunnels running from the Citadel Hill down to George's Island during excavation (apparently this myth has been debunked, but you never know...)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #53  
Old Posted Oct 20, 2010, 8:47 AM
reddog794's Avatar
reddog794 reddog794 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Maybe they could use it to jack up Citadel Hill 70 feet or so and let us get some taller buildings downtown.
pffft, you and I both know, the HT would complain the the hill would be too high and would ruin the historical view from like the armories or public gardens, or something.
__________________
We may smile at these matters, but they are melancholy illustrations. - Joe Howe

go dogs go!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #54  
Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 1:06 PM
Jonovision's Avatar
Jonovision Jonovision is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 4,752
I took this from Dawn Sloane's facebook page.

Helping preserve HMCS Sackville Info and Motion for Council

HMCS Sackville is "the very last Canadian corvette" from the WWII era. There is a ship from the WWII era currently alongside Hamilton. The name is HMCS Haida and it happens to be a Tribal class ship.

The Corvettes served a huge role for our Navy during World War II. They were built quickly and in big numbers. Following construction and based on an urgent need, little time was lost before putting them into service.

Even though the waters of the Atlantic were swarming with U boats, they managed in cooperation with other ships to keep the sea lanes between North America and Britain open so the supplies could get through.

The HMCS Sackville is Canada’s Naval War Memorial. There is a move to preserve Canada’s Last Corvette in an enclosed sea water berth next to the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic.

The Naval Memorial Trust is requesting HRM to help advance the design process by requesting a financial contribution of $100, 000 over two years.
This support would:
Provide a rationale for HRM to be a stakeholder at the table during the design process
Provide a clear signal to all concerned of HRM’s interest in the completion of the public portion of the QLP
Provide a number of benefits in common to all major corporate donors:
Membership of CNMT
Public acknowledgement of investment
Complimentary use of ship for Municipal Events


I am asking for your support to have staff generate a report with viable options for this endeavour to help preserve the Nations Last Corvette.
Examples of aid:
30,000 over 3yrs
45,000 over 2yrs
Full support in the 2011 budget
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #55  
Old Posted Apr 7, 2011, 5:19 PM
hoser111's Avatar
hoser111 hoser111 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 301
Just a bullet highlighting funding for the following, from the provincial 2011-12 Capital Plan, page 11 at:

http://www.gov.ns.ca/finance/site-fi...lan2011-12.pdf



"CableWharf-Queens Landing project and BioScience building demolition"
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #56  
Old Posted Apr 7, 2011, 5:49 PM
sdm sdm is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser111 View Post
Just a bullet highlighting funding for the following, from the provincial 2011-12 Capital Plan, page 11 at:

http://www.gov.ns.ca/finance/site-fi...lan2011-12.pdf



"CableWharf-Queens Landing project and BioScience building demolition"
Seems consistent with the previous information in that the building would be coming down in 2011.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #57  
Old Posted Apr 7, 2011, 6:00 PM
beyeas beyeas is offline
Fizzix geek
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: South End, Hali
Posts: 1,283
yes most tenants have now moved into the LSRI bioscience space on Summer (official grand opening will be later this year). Last time I was at a meeting in the Bioscience building on water street (a month ago) there was just a handful of places still occupied, and I think they are in the process of moving.

Just another parking-lot/hole on the waterfront, given that there are absolutely no plans to move this project forward any time soon (according to McCrea).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #58  
Old Posted Apr 7, 2011, 7:04 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is online now
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 21,582
Does he plan to start getting approvals and so forth or is this going to continue to be in limbo?

What else is required for this to proceed? Federal and municipal funding? It's not even really clear what the scope of this project is at this point.
__________________
flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #59  
Old Posted Apr 7, 2011, 7:52 PM
beyeas beyeas is offline
Fizzix geek
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: South End, Hali
Posts: 1,283
I am going from memory here, but I have a vague recollection of him saying it would be a while before he would do anything. The context of the article that I remember was him blaming the delays on a lack of government funding for the public portions, which he then cited as more evidence for why he thought the Nova Centre shouldn't go ahead (since it was impacting his projects). I might have the exact details of that wrong, but it was something along those lines.

EDIT: I went back and found an AllNS article from last October in which he says it will be perhaps 10 years before something is built on that site. He did in that particular article state that part of the issue was dealing with 3 levels of government in terms of funding, but it must have been another article I had in my mind where he was fuming about NC getting funding and then being able to build the office/hotel, which was going to impact his ability to do his own ones.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #60  
Old Posted Apr 7, 2011, 9:29 PM
Empire's Avatar
Empire Empire is offline
Salty Town
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Halifax
Posts: 1,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyeas View Post
yes most tenants have now moved into the LSRI bioscience space on Summer (official grand opening will be later this year). Last time I was at a meeting in the Bioscience building on water street (a month ago) there was just a handful of places still occupied, and I think they are in the process of moving.

Just another parking-lot/hole on the waterfront, given that there are absolutely no plans to move this project forward any time soon (according to McCrea).
There should be a limit to how many bombed out prime downtown sites you are allowed to hold hostage at one time.
__________________
Salty Town
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:52 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.