HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Apr 16, 2019, 1:09 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

And with a lot of the 500m buildings abroad, they are from American architects and firms too.

NY will get a new signature tower eventually. Its a matter of WHEN, not IF, in the race to a mega tall.

The fun fact is that these towers are all powered by demand, not ego or speculation.

At least the Big Mack is moving with the demo, so hopefully we will see new renderings in the months coming. Preferably close-up shots. A lot of us had similar reservations with 432 Park at first.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2019, 10:29 AM

While I don't like the design of this in itself, it will complement 432 park avenue nicely, which also has a design I despise. Together they will look a lot better than what they do individually. It really redeems 432. Therefore I'm actually excited for this one and hope this to a large degree is the final design.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2019, 3:32 PM
New Yorker for life

Say what you will about Macklowe, he gets things built. He doesn't have the time to sit on proposals for years.

I'm looking forward to it. I do find the top to be a little busy, and maybe they can refine that more. But I'm looking forward to getting up there on that deck.

Meanwhile, with demolition now kicking off, the approvals should kick off sometime by the end of the summer or the fall (assuming Macklowe presented plans when reported).

I also want to see more renders from 52nd street, and of the tower overall. The skyline shots don't really give enough details in the design element.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 4:57 PM
New Yorker for life

APRIL 29, 2019

On the 51st Street side, the two buildings on the left will soon be demolished. The shrouded building on the right is a landmark, as is the building to the right of it. Tower Fifth will tower above both.

Landmarked

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/2019...t-New-York-NY/

Quote:
11 East 51st Street was originally constructed in 1904 1906 as a single-family residence for then-prominent stone and building contractor, John Peirce. The building was designed by architect John H. Duncan, who also notably designed the Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Arch in Grand Army Plaza, Brooklyn and the General Ulysses S. Grant National Memorial (aka Grant' s Tomb). Now known as the John Peirce Residence, this 6-story, 13,336 gross square foot elevator property is currently occupied by a single commercial tenant and will be delivered vacant. The building is in turn-key condition and features ornate exterior and interior historical details throughout.

http://arielpa.nyc/closed/11-east-51st-street

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 4, 2019, 12:46 PM

Can someone tell me the height of the observation deck of this building ??

Old Posted May 4, 2019, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faridnyc View Post
Can someone tell me the height of the observation deck of this building ??
There's been no official announcement for it yet, it's way too early. But it could be above 1,300 feet

Old Posted May 4, 2019, 3:22 PM

W
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK2001 View Post
There's been no official announcement for it yet, it's way too early. But it could be above 1,300 feet
The height of tower fifth is likely change or it is the officiel height ,in my opinion it must go above 1650ft

Last edited by faridnyc; May 4, 2019 at 3:37 PM.

Old Posted May 4, 2019, 9:25 PM

Ugly building.

And cantilevers have long worn out their welcome. They make the entire building look awkward and top heavy.

Old Posted May 4, 2019, 11:08 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Ugly building.

And cantilevers have long worn out their welcome. They make the entire building look awkward and top heavy.

The canyons of Manhattan are hardly overflowing with cantilevers. Big city, big skyline. It can handle a tower or two with a cantilever up there. It's not what I want as a tallest on the skyline, but if it is, so be it. I will look at it as my personal ledge to view the city. I won't get that at CPT.

Old Posted May 5, 2019, 6:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I'm looking forward to getting up there on that deck.
At least if you're on top of the building your eyes don't have to be punished by it's disgusting architecture. But "muh markets," "muh get things done," and "muh beauty is subjective."

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Norwegian View Post
While I don't like the design of this in itself, it will complement 432 park avenue nicely, which also has a design I despise. Together they will look a lot better than what they do individually. It really redeems 432. Therefore I'm actually excited for this one and hope this to a large degree is the final design.
This is the cope-posting to end all cope-posting! You should get some kind of award for management of psychological pain.

Last edited by Duck From NY; May 7, 2019 at 12:56 AM.

Old Posted May 5, 2019, 7:43 PM

I am just not in love with this design especially given the prominence it will have on the skyline. It reminds me of that horrid Plaza Tower building in downtown New Orleans.

Old Posted May 5, 2019, 7:51 PM
BANNED

I agree. I hope that Mackowe switches to residential. A RAMSA in this location would be a blockbuster.

Old Posted May 5, 2019, 10:04 PM

If anything this needs a new facade

CPT will have an amazing one, this tower would look better if it was all glass, and had exterior columns that foster likes to use

Old Posted May 5, 2019, 11:23 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

With demo occurring and a couple of parcels getting ready for demo... we'll probally see updated schematics and info sometime this quarter I'd imagine.

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 3:28 AM
New Yorker for life

I still say we haven't seen nearly enough of this design to have a strong enough judgement on whether or not it needs a redesign. What we've seen so far amounts to a massing. It's all in the details. I"m convinced this will be a very high class building, and the design elements will become more clear once we get more details about the building. One thing is for certain though, we know Macklowe builds if he can, and he's not just messing around here throwing out renderings.

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 4:01 PM
New Yorker for life

MAY 27, 2019

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 9:05 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ Oh man, is that the Consul General's Office of Venezuela? Pretty fitting if it's getting torn down...
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 2:07 AM
New Yorker for life

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/05/r...g-skyline.html

New York City’s Evolving Skyline
A high-rise building boom, mostly of luxury condos, has transformed New York City’s skyline in recent years — and there’s more to come.

By Stefanos Chen
June 5, 2019

Quote:
Even amid the flurry of new construction, which includes a number of innovative designs, some complain that there isn’t the same sense of wonder there once was for skyscrapers.

“The awe that accompanies a new supertall is now tempered by the economic reality for many city residents that they simply can no longer afford to live in their beloved city,” said Ms. Dupré, the architectural historian.

Others fault the glassy sameness of many new towers.

“If you ask somebody, ‘How many residential buildings are over 800 feet?’ they’ll say one, or two, or too many,” said Anthony E. Malkin, the chief executive of the Empire State Realty Trust, which owns the Empire State Building. (The answer is 10 — six of which may be completed this year.)

Mr. Malkin, of course, is partial to the old skyline, before his building competed with new office buildings in Hudson Yards and Lower Manhattan for tenants and tourists. The new 1,268-foot mixed-use tower at 30 Hudson Yards, with its jagged peak that resembles a cut stalagmite, will have the Western Hemisphere’s tallest outdoor observatory deck, at 1,100 feet.

To keep up with the times, Mr. Malkin’s team has done a major renovation of the Empire State Building, with higher energy-efficiency standards and upgrades to the observation decks. The changing lights display, a beacon for the city’s mood and remembrances, still asserts its dominance in the night sky.

Nearby, more competition is looming. A proposed building in Midtown East called Tower Fifth, to be developed by Macklowe Properties, could rise to 1,551 feet, topped by an observatory with a 60-foot transparent slide.

“I’m not even going to comment on the subject of Tower Fifth,” Mr. Malkin said.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2019, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
The canyons of Manhattan are hardly overflowing with cantilevers. Big city, big skyline. It can handle a tower or two with a cantilever up there. It's not what I want as a tallest on the skyline, but if it is, so be it. I will look at it as my personal ledge to view the city. I won't get that at CPT.
Skylines never overflow or feature heavily the use of Cantilevers because they never look aesthetic. In this case, the top heavy tower looks awkward and goes against the grain simply to be edgy and post modern. It does not tie into the surrounding buildings. It does not look nice in the skyline whether close up or from afar, unless the massing is redesigned at the top.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 5:17 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherus View Post
Skylines never overflow or feature heavily the use of Cantilevers because they never look aesthetic.
Has nothing to do with aesthetics. Zoning, particularly in New York City, dictates the form of skyscrapers.

Quote:
In this case, the top heavy tower looks awkward and goes against the grain simply to be edgy and post modern.

It's not simply to be anything. The upper floors have a particular use, in this case for the observation deck, and various uses up there that will be open to tourists - and the money that will bring. Developers don't build to be edgy. Buildings don't get financed because they're edgy.

Quote:
It does not tie into the surrounding buildings. It does not look nice in the skyline whether close up or from afar, unless the massing is redesigned at the top.
That can be said of many buildings on the skyline. Citicorp Center certainly doesn't "tie in" to it's surrounding buildings, nor does it particularly have to. The Tower Fifth design wouldn't be my first choice, as I generally would prefer that the tallest buildings on the skyline have a tapered form. But I wouldn't say it shouldn't be built because it looks different from everything else. Because just as surely, if it were another glass, blue box, people on this forum would be lighting up about the "same old thing" being built.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals