HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 10:10 PM
Ex Houstonian

Yeah, the bast pretty much blows.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 10:17 PM

Y'all will change your opinions once they clean the whole glass and open the fins, it will look outstanding from street level.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 10:26 PM
Ikonic Exposure

Quote:
Originally Posted by fimiak View Post
This tower is the center of the USA skyscraper scene.
Na, I think 432 park ave is. 1WTC is a rebirth of an old icon (quite rightly), but 432 is a step up, and will become much more talked about, and iconic I believe, in the great NYC tradition of not just high, but ground breaking architecture.
:~}

Occupy Birmingham.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 10:43 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 10:50 PM

The base is excellent.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Yeah, the bast pretty much blows.
I have to disagree. The base is well designed and nice to look at. How would you have designed it?

Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 11:35 PM

Do you reckon they'll add a cover of any sort to the mast later on?

Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 11:51 PM

Wow....I can't get over the amount of whining on here regarding the base and the spire.
And, while I understand the disappointment....and the right to gripe about it....it just seems rather juvenile. Personally...I would've preferred the radome covering for the spire...but Durst made millions by scrapping it and being able to make money trumped aesthetics.
I think it will look good....not as good as planned...but not as bad as some on here make it out.
Oh, and it WILL be counted towards the final building height. As I had posted on here previously, the fact that it is integrated with the building's construction...and the fact that it is a cable stayed mast...WILL have it included in the official height.
I feel similarly about the base. It is turning out better than I had anticipated. Again...I would've preferred the chamfered corners...it was a nice architectural touch....but the reasoning behind the change has been discussed over and over. Once it...and the mast....are completed and illuminated, I think they will look just fine.
I think it is important to realize that 1WTC was not meant to stand alone as a solitary structure. This entire site will be so much more impressive when 2WTC & 3WTC fill the space between towers 1 & 4.
I think I will just sit back and wait for the entire complex to be finished before rendering a final judgment.
You want to bitch about me bitching about your bitching? Fire away.
Your opinion doesn't matter to me anyway....just like mine won't change yours.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2013, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledzebedee View Post
Na, I think 432 park ave is. 1WTC is a rebirth of an old icon (quite rightly), but 432 is a step up, and will become much more talked about, and iconic I believe, in the great NYC tradition of not just high, but ground breaking architecture.
:~}
Ha! You're so passionate about that bland building. 1 WTC in it's cheaper version is still a much better skyscraper on all levels. If you think the average person is ignorant to what's going on at the WTC ask them if they've heard of 432 Park and just wait for the blank stare. Heck, One57 was a major story during the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy and people still couldn't tell you it's name from a photo. 1 WTC may not be groundbreaking but it's definitely everything you said that you think 432 is. There is no denying 1 WTC's when it comes to being an icon. And we're still only in the beginning.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2013, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadate View Post
Ha! You're so passionate about that bland building. 1 WTC in it's cheaper version is still a much better skyscraper on all levels. If you think the average person is ignorant to what's going on at the WTC ask them if they've heard of 432 Park and just wait for the blank stare. Heck, One57 was a major story during the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy and people still couldn't tell you it's name from a photo. 1 WTC may not be groundbreaking but it's definitely everything you said that you think 432 is. There is no denying 1 WTC's when it comes to being an icon. And we're still only in the beginning.
Both use 12 or 14,000 PSI concrete. The strongest ever used in 1000'+ tall buildings anywhere.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2013, 12:57 AM
Back to Basics

The mast certainly would have stood out more from a distance had it been clad in the white radome:

(Original found HERE )

Old Posted Apr 18, 2013, 1:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traynor View Post
The mast certainly would have stood out more from a distance had it been clad in the white radome:

(Original found HERE )
i think that looks great, although i was a huge fan of the old spire, i really like the antenna mast whatever because it's thinner i feel it fits the building better. Just my opinion of course

Old Posted Apr 18, 2013, 2:31 AM
Is That LEGO?

Quote:
It will be rather anticlimactic when it is finished:

Almost reminds me of the dbox renderings...

Old Posted Apr 18, 2013, 2:33 AM
Back to Basics

I just used the original pictures to finish the look...So I guess dbox did a pretty good job on their renderings.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2013, 2:44 AM
Is That LEGO?

Quote:
I just used the original pictures to finish the look...So I guess dbox did a pretty good job on their renderings.
Yea, the glass in the original shot has an almost unreal render-like quality to it.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2013, 3:42 AM
Norman Yen ♥ NY

Old Posted Apr 18, 2013, 3:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker2009 View Post
Yes, as a matter of fact I do live in New York. I live in Staten Island and I can't see the spire near my job or where I live. My job is like 7 to 8 miles in a straight line away from the WTC. My house is about 10 to 12 miles in a straight line. I use to see the Twin Towers perfectly along with the antenna atop the North Tower. I can see One WTC from my house and my job but not the spire. Heck I can't even see the cranes sometimes and I have 20/20 vision. I don't know what else to tell you. Are you sure you aren't talking about the cranes because they even block the view of the spire right now. I guess we won't know what real impact it will make until the cranes come down. Well yeah there is nothing you and me can do about it to change the decision Durst made but there is nothing wrong with expressing an opinion on it. Trust me you'll be hearing negative views for a very long time so you best better get used to that. We live in a very opinionated world so people are always going to have to something to say. The spire is ok without the radome enclosure but it was a stupid move by Durst. If you want to like the spire be my guest that's your right. I'm just glad something is being built there at all you know.

I was in Shore Acres the other day ,and i saw 1 wtc mast just fine and i was also in Alice Austen park not to long ago and saw 1 wtc mast just fine , don't know about you ? because if you cant see it please don't state that it is not visible to others.

Last edited by Yankee fan for life; Apr 18, 2013 at 4:05 AM.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2013, 4:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otie View Post
Y'all will change your opinions once they clean the whole glass and open the fins, it will look outstanding from street level.
I agree with you 100% Otie. The biggest complaint I have with some of the comments on here is that they're judging an unfinished, under construction tower. I'm all for having an opinion but to say it looks ugly before it's even finished just doesn't make sense to me. Wait and see the finished product and then you can say whether you like it or not. And you cant judge it from a rendering either. I think the fins will look awesome once they're opened up. And I believe the spire will look great once it's finished. You seem to have some insight into the tower. Have you heard if they plan on painting the spire once it's finished?

Old Posted Apr 18, 2013, 4:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsr View Post
Almost reminds me of the dbox renderings...
I would say the most gratifying state a CGI artist can achieve is when the renderings look more real than actual photos of the project.

dbox creative

Old Posted Apr 18, 2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee fan for life View Post
I was in Shore Acres the other day ,and i saw 1 wtc mast just fine and i was also in Alice Austen park not to long ago and saw 1 wtc mast just fine , don't know about you ? because if you cant see it please don't state that it is not visible to others.
Shore Acres and Alice Austen Park are close to the water so it would make sense for you to see the Tower. However, the cranes still block the view of that thin mast so I highly doubt you saw the mast. I'm over there a lot and I never see the mast even on a clear day. Perhaps it was the cranes. My job is actually closer to the ferry and I cannot see the mast. Don't state it isn't visible because I can't see it? This is an open forum pal I can say what I please and if you don't like it, please don't respond, it's as simple as that. How about I just tell you "Don't say you can see it in rain, sleet, and snow" because we both know you can't (visibility sucks on days like that), especially from Sea Gate or Coney Island unless you have X-Ray or Microscopic Vision. That's more misleading than what I have said if you ask me. Like I said, I'm just glad something is being built there. I could care less about the mast at this point in time. It's old news, there's nothing we can do to change it but it's still ok to express an opinion on it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive