HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
I don't care who you ask. I'm sure the posters here would say the same thing.
And it's why people from LA don't associate with Orange County, even though it's part of the same MSA.

It's why some people in the LA proper don't like the SFV, even though I think that's changed some in the last decade.

This is downtown a street in downtown Pomona. It's fine for a suburb, but how does this look LA? There aren't many storefronts or multi family housing.
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0566...7i13312!8i6656
You don't care who I ask...like my father, who has lived out there for 55 years and went to college in the city?

I get it, it's just "I'm right and you're wrong." "I'm a full on local and you're not."

You make the assertion that most people, including most local LA people, agree with you but when I can legitimately challenge that assertion by asking other full time locals, you just get mad and get back to saying I have to be wrong since I don't live out there full time. Gotcha, glad to know this is a fair conversation.

That said, you're entitled to feel how you feel and it's not by any means ignorant or an unfairly deducted opinion.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhun1 View Post
You don't care who I ask...like my father, who has lived out there for 55 years and went to college in the city?

I get it, it's just "I'm right and you're wrong." "I'm a full on local and you're not."

You make the assertion that most people, including most local LA people, agree with you but when I can legitimately challenge that assertion by asking other full time locals, you just get mad and get back to saying I have to be wrong since I don't live out there full time. Gotcha, glad to know this is a fair conversation.

That said, you're entitled to feel how you feel and it's not by any means ignorant or an unfairly deducted opinion.
Ask me, I’m 54 years old and don’t agree with you, see previous post.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 9:51 PM

And that's fine. I'm just cautioning against dismissing my opinion because I'm technically not a local, acting like I know nothing about SoCal. I know what it's like to be a SoCal kid playing in the street, begging to go to 7-11, the beach, Carl's Jr. and Las Vegas and not giving the slightest you know what about all of that Hollywood non-sense. That's right, in all my years living out there or visiting for months at a time, I never once cared enough to go star-seeing and becoming part of that Hollywood culture. I have native Californian blood in me (and I was indeed born out there).

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 10:12 PM

If you grew up in the IE and never felt the need to go into LA proper, that kinda proves LA21st's point doesn't it?

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 10:29 PM

^
I spent way more time in LA County (Carson and Pasadena for example), than the IE, unless you want to say Pomona is IE (it's borderline).

Putting my personal biography aside and getting the thread back on track to some degree, I'd say even if the core of LA is more developed than outlying areas (obviously, it is the core city), it's not outstanding to such a degree that there's a world of difference between being in LA or many adjacent municipalities compared to leaving Manhattan or Washington in most directions. LA is just like any other Sun Belt place and even if the Downtown grows, it'll still be decentralized unless most of the population leaves or shifts. For Downtown to be a dense area most people on this board like, it would have had to have been built on the coast. I always say I wish it had been built at San Pedro or that Long Beach instead became the region's core municipality.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 10:47 PM

There may not be a world of difference but there is definitely a unique "LA vibe" that is separate and distinct from the "Socal vibe" that you're talking about. Most of Socal, especially the IE, does indeed look like your typical post war sunbelt development (because it is), but once you enter some of the denser areas of LA proper, there's really no mistaking it for anywhere else in the sunbelt.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 11:16 PM

And that's in part because of the Hollywood transients who moved out there or were born to people trying to live the Hollywood lifestyle. I tend to strongly dislike the culture enhanced by the Pop Culture Transients, as I'll call them (including the beach people). I vibed with people on a natural level and had normal, non-pop culture SoCal experiences out there but you are correct that there is a difference as you get closer to some of the more internationally famous areas of LA.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 11:32 PM

Again, getting us back on topic, Downtown LA can improve as a central hub but It'll never be the clearly defined central hub of the region. LA just has too many hotspots and a spread out population for that to happen.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 1:02 AM
ridin4s

Montrose = Silverlake
The Heights = Echo Park
River Oaks = Hollywood Hills
Westhiemer & Richmond Strips = Sunset Strip
La Has No Equilavent To Galleria/Uptown
Nor Texas Medical Center

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 1:19 AM

I'm a little late to the party, but I thought Downtown LA was pretty solid already. I spent half of my time in the historic core, and half in the more modern area up the hill, but all of it seemed pretty good to me.

There are going to be small parking lots and small parking garages in every city. They are in NYC, Philadelphia, DC, Chicago, and elsewhere. They are necessary. I used one in Downtown LA for my rental car. I use one when I'm in Philadelphia. If all parking lots and garages are built up as something else, it will become so inconvenient for people from an hour away to go into the city that they won't go anymore. Eventually, demand for real estate would come down slightly because there are less people around. So, the fringe parcels will be underutilized, and may turn into empty lots, which would become prime parking lots. There is some sort of equilibrium with parking.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 2:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nw290 View Post
Montrose = Silverlake
The Heights = Echo Park
Nor Texas Medical Center

I've seen some of those Houston areas on google maps and have no idea what you're talking about or seeing. Richmond or Montrose don't even look like Ventura Blvd.

Here's the Richmond Strip. I don't get it.

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7314...7i13312!8i6656

This is the Sunset Strip.

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0940...7i16384!8i8192

Last edited by LA21st; Jun 11, 2018 at 3:25 AM.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 2:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhun1 View Post
And that's in part because of the Hollywood transients who moved out there or were born to people trying to live the Hollywood lifestyle. I tend to strongly dislike the culture enhanced by the Pop Culture Transients, as I'll call them (including the beach people). I vibed with people on a natural level and had normal, non-pop culture SoCal experiences out there but you are correct that there is a difference as you get closer to some of the more internationally famous areas of LA.
The least sun belt areas of LA are places like Koreatown, Westlake, Pico Union, Downtown, MacArthur Park etc. Barely any Hollywood influence.

Last edited by LA21st; Jun 11, 2018 at 2:56 AM.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 2:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
If you grew up in the IE and never felt the need to go into LA proper, that kinda proves LA21st's point doesn't it?
Joe Rogan's podcast is based in Woodland Hills. He refers to LA proper as the "city" . He's not the only one. I currently live and work in the Valley, and many people I've met here basically say the same thing. Sometimes they say they live in the burbs, even though it's tecnically not true . I don't know if it was always this way, or just because LA"s older areas are becoming denser.

For someone to say the Valley isn't that different than LA proper likely hasn't been around these areas much. I was just in the Melrose Triangle. Where in the hell is the equivalent in the Valley, Inland Empire or HOUSTON?

I just don't see anyone get these places confused in real life, or outside of this thread.

Last edited by LA21st; Jun 11, 2018 at 3:26 AM.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 2:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
I'm a little late to the party, but I thought Downtown LA was pretty solid already. I spent half of my time in the historic core, and half in the more modern area up the hill, but all of it seemed pretty good to me.

There are going to be small parking lots and small parking garages in every city. They are in NYC, Philadelphia, DC, Chicago, and elsewhere. They are necessary. I used one in Downtown LA for my rental car. I use one when I'm in Philadelphia. If all parking lots and garages are built up as something else, it will become so inconvenient for people from an hour away to go into the city that they won't go anymore. Eventually, demand for real estate would come down slightly because there are less people around. So, the fringe parcels will be underutilized, and may turn into empty lots, which would become prime parking lots. There is some sort of equilibrium with parking.
Agreed on the parking situation.

The northern side of downtown is my least favorite, outside of Little Tokyo.
It needs Grand Avenue, Angels Landing, and new Civic Center Highrises (Office and Housing) to be built ASAP.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 3:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLA View Post
I believe LA21st is mainly referring to the city of LA, Downey and Norwalk are clearly suburban and has a different feel and vibe than the city of LA.

Even though the San Fernando Valley is mostly suburban, it’s part of LA city and has more of a city feel and vibe you will never get or feel in Orange County (Santa Ana, Anaheim), I.E. (Rialto, San Bernardino, Riverside), and not even Long Beach which is probably the closest to LA city type development.

I know you already know this but I am a native Angeleno, and grew up in South Central LA, and lived all over Southern California. I used to live in Long Beach, and the Inland Empire, San Gabriel Valley, went to high school in the San Fernando Valley, and worked downtown LA, Orange County, and the South Bay(Manhattan Beach, Redondo Beach), LAX area and took the train to work , and now I’m living in the west San Fernando Valley, and work in Ventura County. I believe I know Southern California pretty well, and to add to this I have a few years on most fourmers here, I’ve entered my 50’s now.

Let’s just say I’ve seen a lot of things in LA, and my favorite hobby is exploring the region, this is something I’ve done since I was old enough to take the bus by myself (13 years old). Oh I also lived outside LA, briefly in Chicago, Fresno, and worked for a international company that had flight benefits I took full advantage of, so I visited many cities here in the USA, Canada, and Europe.
I remember your views before I moved here. You're right. Long Beach is probably the closest thing. And the Valley is likely denser than most sun belt cities too.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 3:22 AM

If the San Fernando Valley was a separate city it would be the fifth largest in the country. Bigger and denser than any sunbelt city besides Houston and LA itself.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 3:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
If the San Fernando Valley was a separate city it would be the fifth largest in the country. Bigger and denser than any sunbelt city besides Houston and LA itself.
I like the valley more than I thought I would. It has it's own interesting areas.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 3:51 AM

From the downtown LA thread-

Originally Posted by DTLA-Joe View Post
Went to eat at El Compadre last night, looks like it (and Hooters) are permanently closed, guess the new Fig + Pico Hotel Towers are eminent!
Decided to try El Cholo, guy that worked there said next month the adjacent lot will be under construction (W hotel). El Cholo was good, but will miss El Compadre

This is awesome news. These developments will really improve the LA Live/Figueroa corridor. LA Live is a work in progress. I want to see what that area looks like 5 years from now.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 4:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nw290 View Post
Montrose = Silverlake
The Heights = Echo Park
Nor Texas Medical Center
I am very familiar with the neighborhoods being compared above by NW290. Just because the Montrose and the Heights have (or had) significant bohemian and/or gay populations does not make either neighborhood remotely similar to Echo Park or Silverlake. The Westheimer and Richmond commercial corridors have next to nothing in common with the Sunset Strip. The former is mostly an eclectic bunch of high end strip malls. The Sunset Strip is mashup of glitz, glamour, and tackiness that could only happen in LA. It is as distinctive in its own way as Times Square in New York. You know you are in the belly of the LA beast when you drive down the Sunset Strip. LA has Galleria/Uptown types of development at multiple locations throughout the metro. The closest actual approximation to Houston's Galleria area might be the Beverly Center area of West Hollywood, but, while it may be close, there is no cigar for making the comparison. The point is that just about every neighborhood between downtown LA and the ocean has a distinctly LA feel to it. There is never any doubt about where you are. There are certain intersections on the west side of Houston that have that same LA feel, but that is exactly what it is, a feeling or sense that, gee whiz, this kind of feels or looks like LA. Nobody in LA is ever going to suddenly say to themselves whilst looking around an LA intersection or neighborhood that, golly gee, this feels like Houston.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 4:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Joe Rogan's podcast is based in Woodland Hills. He refers to LA proper as the "city" . He's not the only one. I currently live and work in the Valley, and many people I've met here basically say the same thing. Sometimes they say they live in the burbs, even though it's tecnically not true . I don't know if it was always this way, or just because LA"s older areas are becoming denser.

For someone to say the Valley isn't that different than LA proper likely hasn't been around these areas much. I was just in the Melrose Triangle. Where in the hell is the equivalent in the Valley, Inland Empire or HOUSTON?

I just don't see anyone get these places confused in real life, or outside of this thread.
I still think you're missing the overall point. Houston and San Jose, for example, share many similarities (both are extremely suburban in character) but look physically nothing alike.

The argument was never about finding a direct analogue for every aspect.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions