HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Mar 1, 2012, 3:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notinkeys View Post
... at the Warner Brothers site. Photo is undated, from www.710kmpc.com
Notice the neon strips on the columns.

below: Here is an amazing slide I found on ebay of the Sunset Bowling Center at night!! I had no idea there was so much neon involved.

Sorry...I don't have the software to remove the yellow watermark.

The Sunset Bowling Center was famous for having 52 lanes!

postcard/ebay

matchbook/ebay

postcard ebay

below: I would love to see the center neon sign in action. I'm sure the bowling balls rolled to the pins a thousand times a night.

unknown

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 25, 2014 at 7:10 PM.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2012, 3:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanlutz View Post
Happy Birthday to Betty. She's looking pretty good for 84. Wonder when that latest picture was taken and what is she up to these days.

That color photograph was taken in 2008 when she was 80....so tack on 4 more years.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2012, 4:38 AM
Dallas, TX

e_r...the last picture of Sunset Bowling was by Ansel Adams. I have pictures by Ansel showing some bowling action, at the Burbank Bowling Alley.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2012, 5:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Label this one under 'kitsch'.

The Jail Cafe at 4212 Sunset Blvd. in 1927.

apl

below: Notice the faux guard in the central tower. The 4212 address is on the white globe below the 'tower'.

lapl

below: Cells for nonsupport and speeding?? This has to be the worst idea for a restaurant ever!

lapl

What did they serve....bread and water?
Supposedly, the Jail Cafe was once a real jail. By the 1940's, it was a theater called The Blackguard Returns. It has been El Cid since 1961. El Cid claims that D.W. Griffith screened his film, Birth of a Nation at 4212 W. Sunset Boulevard. The film premiered at Clune's Auditorium in downtown Los Angeles in 1915.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2012, 6:50 AM
You can call me David

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
The twin KRKD radio towers in the 1930s.

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/assets...0629/CHS-37221

e_r, welcome back. I hope your dad is all right.

I think this KRKD transmitter was powered down many decades ago, but nice the towers are still there.

"KEHE, the official broadcasting station of The Evening Herald and Express. KEHE officially opens this modernistic new studio at 141 North Vermont Avenue, with a lavish three-day dedicatory program. The building is devoted exclusively to broadcasting activities, and is the most modern of its kind. It is air conditioned and indirectly lighted and contains the latest radio equipment. Its striking tower with neon lighting effects mark the new structure. Photo dated: April 27, 1937. "

"After land was donated by Charles Chapman in 1911, a small bungalow style church was built at this corner of Wilshire Boulevard and Normandie Avenue. In 1927 the original church was replaced by this Northern Italian Romanesque style structure with a 200-foot tower, designed by Robert H. Orr. On May 19, 1940, First Christian Church of Los Angeles merged with Wilshire Boulevard Christian Church to become Wilshire Christian Church, which is of the Disciples of Christ denomination. Located at 634 S. Normandie Avenue, the church is Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument #209. "

"A look at the radio tower of KFI on top of the building where broadcasting took place. The station was then owned by Earl C. Anthony, Inc. Anthony was also a Packard car dealer."

I wonder where this was located? What is the building with the domes, down the street? (Not the Santa Fe train station, is it?)

all photos http://www.lapl.org/

Last edited by 3940dxer; Mar 1, 2012 at 1:18 PM.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2012, 2:06 PM

David: Re those last two shots--Earl C. Anthony's downtown Packard operations and his KFI were on the southeast corner of Hope and 10th/Olympic. At first I thought he building had been replaced, but it appears that it has been repurposed. It's basically unrecognizable, but its origins haven't been forgotten:

Google
http://www.packardloftsla.com/

DDC
Here's a shot of the last days of the Anthony building as it was.

I'm sure we covered the streamline KEHE building here before, but I couldn't find it; presumably the drawing of the more bunkerlike KEHE is of an unused proposal for the Vermont Ave. site.

Info about he towers next to the Wilshire Christian Church are in these posts:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=2135

Old Posted Mar 1, 2012, 8:02 PM

The Wilshire Christian Church is now for sale, if anyone knows someone who would like to buy a used church.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2012, 9:17 PM

Well, if Rosenheim's great Second Church of Christ, Scientist, down on West Adams can find a savior (the Art of Living Foundation, in its case--at least that's the last I heard about that church's fate)... then surely a barn on Wilshire Boulevard can find one....

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 1:34 PM

Hi everyone, been away from the site for a long while. One question, is there a search function to the thread? Specifically, looking for images of Court Flight, the long lost funicular rail up bunker hill across from the courthouse. Thanks. Still love this place.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 1:48 PM

Views of the Auto Club, Adams and Figueroa

Google Books

LAPL

LAPL
With later additions, lit for Christmas.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRyerson View Post
Hi everyone, been away from the site for a long while. One question, is there a search function to the thread? Specifically, looking for images of Court Flight, the long lost funicular rail up bunker hill across from the courthouse. Thanks. Still love this place.

To search, click on the "Search this Thread" link at the top right above the latest post. I find that searches here are pretty uncertain--sometimes I'll look for a subject I know we've covered and come up empty handed. If you do a search and come up empty handed or mistype in the box--you have to wait 60 seconds to start again. I won't start a riot over it, but the search feature here could stand some refinement, imho....

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 3:51 PM

Thanks GaylordW.

This thread is such a great resourse. The regulars have done a wonderful job. Thanks again.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 3:53 PM

Duh.

That would be 'resource', of course.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 5:09 PM

Harold Lloyd - Safety Last

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsjansen View Post

harold lloyd scaling the bank of italy building in safety last
(previously posted, but certainly on topic now!)

An informative Powerpoint slideshow about the filming of Safety Last is available here. Don't hurry when watching the slides; some have animation. (Bonus - includes a 1923 picture of the Hotel Rosslyn.) Check out the author's blog at http://silentlocations.wordpress.com/

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 9:09 PM

Quote:
if it helps a few post back there were some excellent pictures of the court flight in action,it was my first time seeing a clear picture of the incline.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 9:35 PM

LAPL
Santa Fe station, South Pasadena

I know I've seen a color shot of the train station at the Raymond Hotel on the thread before... but I don't remember seeing this one. It plays on all my fantasies of SoCal in its prewar state....

sopas... any memories? (Not that you're prewar yourself.)

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 10:15 PM
You can call me David

Quote:
There's a Search button near the top of each page but here's another (maybe better) way of searching the thread, using Google. Click the link below and then after the page loads, type your keyword(s) after the word "Noirish", to the right of the Google logo. This works pretty well for me.

http://www.google.com/search?q=skysc....,cf.osb&cad=b

Last edited by 3940dxer; Mar 2, 2012 at 10:30 PM.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
LAPL
Santa Fe station, South Pasadena

I know I've seen a color shot of the train station at the Raymond Hotel on the thread before... but I don't remember seeing this one. It plays on all my fantasies of SoCal in its prewar state....

sopas... any memories? (Not that you're prewar yourself.)
This is actually not the Raymond Hotel Station but another station that was torn down in the 1950s. It is presently the site of South Pasadena's Gold Line station (Mission Station). I don't remember if I've posted this then and now comparison before.

photo by me

Too bad it was demolished. It would've made a great Gold Line station.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 5:24 AM
You can call me David

"Frontal view of the Hollywood Storage Co. Building, located at 1025 N. Highland Ave. Located at Highland Avenue and Santa Monica Boulevard, today there will be a demonstration given within an auditorium on the 14th floor in a model kitchen. This building is the home of The Evening Herald radio station, KMTR, which has given Miss Kitchen's previous lectures to thousands. Photo dated: November 19, 1928."

Radio station KMTR at 1522 N. La Brea (just north of Sunset), 1939.

Clifford E. Clinton, founder of Clifton's, begins a daily radio program over KEHE, titled "Civic News Forum."

Paul O'Hana at the controls, CBS radio station KNX, 1926.

http://www.lapl.org/

Last edited by 3940dxer; Mar 3, 2012 at 5:56 AM.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 6:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3940dxer View Post

"KEHE, the official broadcasting station of The Evening Herald and Express. KEHE officially opens this modernistic new studio at 141 North Vermont Avenue, with a lavish three-day dedicatory program. The building is devoted exclusively to broadcasting activities, and is the most modern of its kind. It is air conditioned and indirectly lighted and contains the latest radio equipment. Its striking tower with neon lighting effects mark the new structure. Photo dated: April 27, 1937. "

"A look at the radio tower of KFI on top of the building where broadcasting took place. The station was then owned by Earl C. Anthony, Inc. Anthony was also a Packard car dealer."

I wonder where this was located? What is the building with the domes, down the street? (Not the Santa Fe train station, is it?)

Hey all! Been a long time. But seeing the KEHE made me need to jump back in. First of all, I wanted to note that the domed building up the street is the B'nai B'rith temple, talked about here. But back to KEHE:

One of my fave buildings in town, one of the greats by the great Stiles Clements. A 1937 wonder criminally demolished -- they could have at least kept the facade, a la the 1938 bowling/ABC/TAV on Vine nr Sunset that became the Schwabs -- but the Conservancy was busy with the Ambassador, and the LAUSD did a little gaslight shellgame and there was no review before they knocked her down.

12/9/36 lapl

4/27/37 lapl
2/16/03 by me

lapl

12/9/36 lapl

Note the lobby rotunda. Here's a shot of it, oh, a little later.

Yeah, church and state, etc., but I think the rotunda's verses from Psalms (19:2-4) say something profound in instructing to-days youth about education just as they once imparted wisdom about broadcasting: Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard. Their line is gone out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world. Not to be. Above image from here which you must click and read many amazements.

4/27/37 lapl

The 300-seat auditorium, separate entrance from the street, where audiences watched broadcasts. The auditorium again:

here

usc

KEHE was a Hearst station, bought by Earl C. Anthony in 1939, it becomes his KFI and KECA (his initials, natch) and hence all the neon rebranding.

As you can see

it was totally intact and returnable to its former glory.

Because they're so laughingly inept at doing the one thing they're supposed to -- educate children -- you'd think they'd be good at nothing. Turns out LAUSD is very, very good at corruption, vice, and cultural terrorism.

At least a friend of mine pried off her street numbers (no, not those ones, those ones)

so at least there remains some small physical evidence of this beauty's existence.

More about the building here and here and here.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos