HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 10:11 PM

That Jones is a ruthless SOB isn't he. So much for loyalty. In that way football is one of the harshest sports. All that service doesn't get you an extension at the end of the day. Harsh but probably best for that team right now. They really needed to blow it up and start over again.

And if they're going to go that far maybe Durant is next?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 10:12 PM

^ Sounds like Jones is just making cap space. Those two are fan favourites but at the end of the day they can be replaced with new blood for less... Dressler in particular didn't make an amazing argument last season in favour of keeping him around.

It's unbelievable how many experienced vets are on the FA market this season. You could cobble together a respectable expansion team from them.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 10:19 PM

Chick and Dressler will both find spots eleswhere soon. They may not make the same $$ they were getting in SK, but there's too much talent there for them no to catch on somewhere. But I'd be really pissed off right now if I was a Riders fan.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GernB View Post
Chick and Dressler will both find spots eleswhere soon. They may not make the same $$ they were getting in SK, but there's too much talent there for them no to catch on somewhere. But I'd be really pissed off right now if I was a Riders fan.
Do the Riders want the 2013 team frozen in time like a museum piece or do they want a winner? I mean, they hired Jones to clean house... sounds like he's doing his job. If I were a Rider fan I'd be pretty damn impressed. Hell, as a Bomber fan I'm jealous.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Do the Riders want the 2013 team frozen in time like a museum piece or do they want a winner? I mean, they hired Jones to clean house... sounds like he's doing his job. If I were a Rider fan I'd be pretty damn impressed. Hell, as a Bomber fan I'm jealous.
Yeah they had to do it. Bombers.... well lets just say they need an act of God to turn that never ending disaster around.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Dressler particularly was a fan favourite, Chick less so. I think Jones is risking alienating some of the fan base, though that will on the team's success or lack thereof. Replacing Dressler with Mo Price is a definite downgrade, though Chick did not have a great year in 2015. Will be interesting to see what happens next.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GernB View Post
Dressler particularly was a fan favourite, Chick less so. I think Jones is risking alienating some of the fan base, though that will on the team's success or lack thereof. Replacing Dressler with Mo Price is a definite downgrade, though Chick did not have a great year in 2015. Will be interesting to see what happens next.
2013 Dressler would run rings around 2013 Price. The gap was a hell of a lot narrower in 2015... I'm guessing Price's lower salary probably more than makes up for any slight loss of production, i.e. they can apply the savings to shore up a gap somewhere else in the lineup. Smart move by Jones.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 11:12 PM

Quote:
2013 Dressler would run rings around 2013 Price. The gap was a hell of a lot narrower in 2015... I'm guessing Price's lower salary probably more than makes up for any slight loss of production, i.e. they can apply the savings to shore up a gap somewhere else in the lineup. Smart move by Jones.
No argument that it's a cap move, plus SK already has another small import receiver, and Jones is no fan of smaller players. Price however has never shown that he's able to be a first line receiver. If Demski blossoms all will be forgiven in Ridertown.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 12:17 AM

Quote:
They just signed Shawn Lemon at $170k per year and Mo Price @ $130K is $300K, vs the $500K Chick and Dressler were making - that is 5% more room on your cap.

I bet he is looking to restructure Durant's contract too. I think he needs some dollars to bring in the the FA (Eskimos) that he wants

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 6:22 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
^ Sounds like Jones is just making cap space. Those two are fan favourites but at the end of the day they can be replaced with new blood for less... Dressler in particular didn't make an amazing argument last season in favour of keeping him around.

It's unbelievable how many experienced vets are on the FA market this season. You could cobble together a respectable expansion team from them.
Hello Halifax, it's the CFL calling.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjones2451 View Post
They just signed Shawn Lemon at $170k per year and Mo Price @ $130K is $300K, vs the $500K Chick and Dressler were making - that is 5% more room on your cap.

I bet he is looking to restructure Durant's contract too. I think he needs some dollars to bring in the the FA (Eskimos) that he wants
Just a little clarity, they've only "agreed" on a deal but they can't actually sign Lemon until February 9th correct?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25grapes View Post
Just a little clarity, they've only "agreed" on a deal but they can't actually sign Lemon until February 9th correct?
No Ottawa released him early so he could pursue "NFL Opportunities", so is (was) technically a free agent now

Deal was official this morning

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 5:23 PM

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25grapes View Post
What a disgrace. Maybe it's time to end this releasing players to chase the NFL thing if this is what they're going to... next season, any players with NFL offers being dangled in front of them can all send Lemon flowers to thank him for screwing things up.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 9:12 PM

Quote:
What a disgrace. Maybe it's time to end this releasing players to chase the NFL thing if this is what they're going to... next season, any players with NFL offers being dangled in front of them can all send Lemon flowers to thank him for screwing things up.
I agree, but I understand the CFL is trying to lure the best possible talent even if it is for a short time.

I also don't like how easily teams can release players. I think if a player is good enough to get a multi year contract, you should't be able to release him until the final year of the contract.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 10:13 PM

^ It's one thing to release players to let them go south to chase their NFL dream, but it's clearly an abuse of that privilege to use it to break free of their obligations to their CFL club. How on earth can Orridge not do something about what Lemon did? It's flagrant.

And yes, I agree, it is crazy how CFL teams can scrap players at any point in their contract term. A player contract should involve at least some level of genuine mutual commitment.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 11:10 PM

Quote:
^

And yes, I agree, it is crazy how CFL teams can scrap players at any point in their contract term. A player contract should involve at least some level of genuine mutual commitment.
I think that is where signing bonuses and some "guaranteed" portions of salary come in to play. Contracts are no different in the NFL too, so unless the CFLPA wants to get involved, I guess it is up to the player and agent to negotiate some up front money. I read Lemon got $85K signing bonus on his $170K salary.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2016, 4:10 AM
Ham-burgher

Or instead of outright release, the GM negotiates a "return" option where the loss of CFL team rights is conditional on signing with an NFL team if that's the player's interest. If they don't make it, they come back to the team.

Unless the team doesn't really care. As the Desjardins' response seems to indicate.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2016, 10:56 PM

Looks like the Commish finally showed some leadership. Full document on tampering with penalties

Old Posted Jan 25, 2016, 4:17 PM

John Chick is now a Ti-Cat, perhaps?

http://www.900chml.com/2016/01/25/59353/

Please please don't let Dressler sign with Calgary.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada