HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Aug 30, 2013, 11:19 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

hey man -- its cayman!

we went down here to the CI for a little business and a little pleasure. very nice, relaxing place. expensive, but rather mundane. the caymanis are very sweet people. i dont think there is much of the carribean on ssp, so i thought some may like to see this place.
<-- those are caybrew ironshore bock beers

per wiki:

The Cayman Islands (/ˈkeɪmən/ or /keɪˈmæn/) are a British Overseas Territory located in the western Caribbean Sea. The territory comprises the three islands of Grand Cayman, Cayman Brac and Little Cayman, located south of Cuba and northwest of Jamaica. The Cayman Islands are considered to be part of the geographic Western Caribbean Zone as well as the Greater Antilles.

The territory is a major world offshore financial center for squirreling away shifty drug loot and various robber baron capitalist money. The Cayman Islands have more registered businesses than people. The latest population estimate of the CI is about 56,000 as of mid-2011, representing a mix of more than 100 nationalities. Also, the CI are very well known for scuba diving, snorkeling and beautiful beaches as well as being a rather less known quiet gateway into cuba.

The Cayman Islands were first logged as sighted by Christopher Columbus on 10 May 1503 during his fourth and final voyage to the New World. He named the islands Las Tortugas after the large number of sea turtles observed there. The first recorded English visitor to the islands was Sir Francis Drake in 1586. He subsequently named the islands "Cayman" after caiman, a Neo-Taino word for "alligator".

The first recorded permanent inhabitant of the Cayman Islands, Isaac Bodden, was born on Grand Cayman around 1661. He was the grandson of the original settler named Bodden who was probably one of Oliver Cromwell's soldiers at the taking of Jamaica in 1655.

England took formal control of the Cayman Islands, along with Jamaica, as a result of the Treaty of Madrid of 1670. Following several unsuccessful attempts at settlement, a permanent English-speaking population in the islands dates from the 1730s.

With settlement, after the first royal land grant by the Governor of Jamaica in 1734, came the perceived need for slaves. Many were brought to the islands from Africa; this is evident today with the majority of native Caymanians being of African and English descent. The results of the first census taken in the islands in 1802 showed the population on Grand Cayman to be 933 with 545 of those inhabitants being slaves. Slavery was abolished in the Cayman Islands in 1834. At the time of abolition, there were over 950 slaves owned by 116 Caymanian families.

The islands continued to be governed as part of the Colony of Jamaica until 1962, when they became a separate Crown colony while Jamaica became an independent Commonwealth realm.

George Town, Grand Cayman, is the capital of the Cayman Islands and has a population of 27,704 as of 2010 and is the largest city. George Town is the heart of the Cayman Islands financial industry, there are close to 600 Bank and Trust companies in the Cayman Islands. The city is the largest (by population) of all settlements in the British Overseas Territories.

Foreign policy is controlled by the United Kingdom, as the islands remain an overseas territory of the UK. Although in its early days, the Cayman Islands' most important relationships were with Britain and Jamaica, naturally in more recent years relationship with the United States is primary. Only Cayman and US currency are accepted and the CI dollar is pegged to the US dollar at $1USD=$1.25CID.

georgetown

caymana bay development

*** i hope you enjoyed a peak into this small, sweet, touristy, safe yet shifty, carribean island world ***

Old Posted Aug 30, 2013, 11:49 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
I see that you too were visited by chickens.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Aug 31, 2013, 1:17 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
I see that you too were visited by chickens.
my spouse had two pet chickens when she was a kid, so she was giddy about all the chickens wandering around. the rooster you see crowing to nobody in particular in front of the library in the quiet square downtown after a rainshower was particularly memorable.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2013, 2:23 AM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
my spouse had two pet chickens when she was a kid, so she was giddy about all the chickens wandering around. the rooster you see crowing to nobody in particular in front of the library in the quiet square downtown after a rainshower was particularly memorable.
When I visited, they were everywhere. That was George Town: rich people and chickens.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Aug 31, 2013, 8:23 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

yeah rich, schlubby, dull and suburban. thats why i prefer the french west indies.

but i loved all the lizards, parrots, frogs and especially dem chickens.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2013, 3:01 PM
She needs her space

Thanks for the pics. My neighbor growing up had a place on Seven Mile Beach (not photogged). I never found Georgetown or the central part of the island to be pretty, but much of Seven Mile Beach is quite ritzy (relatively close to Georgetown) and the two far ends of the island are remote and naturally beautiful (one has a turtle zoo and a good conch house and the other has no residents but has botanical gardens and seaside cliffs that don't even look "Caribbean"). You should go back again sometime and spend time away from the touristy parts

Old Posted Aug 31, 2013, 8:51 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ yeah we took a taxi around the east end to kaibo. there are definately nice natural attractions like the beaches and the diving/snorkeling that are wonderful. and as i say the locals are wonderful as well. but the vistors are just not my type of people, they are suburbany new money types, so i doubt we'll be back. dont mean to stereotype but it was relentlessly so and that was our impression. i would recommend it for families though, there is plenty to do and its a very safe, easy place to visit if you are of a certain socio-economic class. that is, if you have some money, but as the kids say lately no swag.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos