HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jan 19, 2008, 9:04 PM
Todo para la familia

It will be a ballpark that the local community will use. They're not looking to put a minor league team there. Instead, some of the local high schools and even little league teams will use this ball park for games. Steinbrenner was looking to have district championships here that way it's easier to schedule.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2008, 10:48 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeebiscuitfan View Post
You are right. As a Yankee fan I have my doubts about the necessity of this new stadium. Of course Yankee Stadium wasn't quite the same after the 1976 renovations, but still it was Yankee Stadium.

But I am glad that the name Yankee Stadium will remain and that the Yankees did not sell the naming rights to the highest bidding company.

I truly hope that the Red Sox and the Cubs will cherish their ball parks until the end of time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1sKMHUE6co

Old Posted Jan 25, 2008, 6:45 AM
New Yorker for life

More pictures from mlb.com via BenYankee

Well done guys.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2008, 7:05 AM
New Yorker for life

More photos by topkidnum1

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2008, 5:16 AM
Everywhere all at once

Watching that sign being put up is freakin' awesome. NYGuy that last picture was freakin' awesome, and it's freakin' awesome how the 161st Street station is right up against the stadium. Forgive me if I am being redundant.

By the way NYGuy, to answer your question, yes I have much love for New York.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 7:54 PM

Here are some pictures I took this week while at Jury Duty in the courthouse.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 8:29 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslander237 View Post
By the way NYGuy, to answer your question, yes I have much love for New York.

Glad to hear it...

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 8:32 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanSoldier View Post
Here are some pictures I took this week while at Jury Duty in the courthouse.

Poor kid.

Somehow, this stadium looks like its been there the whole time. I was looking at some of the new features on the news the other day. This will be great for both the team and the Bronx.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 8:43 PM
New Yorker for life

You know, I had actually forgotten that Joe Torre won't be back this year...

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/08/sp...in&oref=slogin

You Can’t Buy the Naming Rights, but Call It the Billion-Dollar Ballpark

The new stadium, which is set to open in April 2009, has its name inscribed into the stone and highlighted in gold leaf.

By RICHARD SANDOMIR
February 8, 2008

The old Yankee Stadium cost Jacob Ruppert and Tillinghast Huston $2.5 million to build and $100 million (or so) for the city to rebuild. The cost to replace it is now about $1.2 billion — not $930 million ($830 million and financing) as originally estimated.

Then there’s another $135 million, still to be financed as part of a separate company in the Yankees’ realm to create the food and beverage business the team will start, rather than invite an outside concessionaire like Aramark to build it.

However you calculate the costs, it is hard to envision what the $1.2 billion ballpark will look like, what with all the mud, cranes, uninstalled seats, unbuilt luxury suites and hundreds of construction workers at the site. There is still a lot of concrete and steel to build on.

Surely, it will be a dandy replica of the original ballpark, which dates to 1923, and not a facsimile of the stadium that emerged from the unimaginative 1974-75 renovation.

Or, as Yogi Berra said during a video produced by the Yankees to market premium seating at the ballpark, “It’s going to be like a new stadium.”

It was Lonn Trost, the Yankees’ chief operating officer, who noted the new costs Thursday during a news-media tour of the construction site. They will be borne by the team, not the city and the state, which are footing the bill for new parks, new garages and a new Metro-North station, and financed by borrowing beyond the $866 million in tax-exempt bonds and $64 million in taxable bonds that are financing the stadium’s construction.

The team’s debt service will surely rise — and it won’t get any help from a naming rights deal. Trost said the team has rejected offers of at least $50 million a year — two and a half times what Citigroup is paying the Mets — to name the stadium for a corporation. He did not say which companies would pay such a fee.

Still, even without naming-rights booty, Sal Galatioto, who runs a sports investment banking company, said the Yankees shouldn’t have much trouble finding more financing. “The Yankee name carries a lot of weight with investors,” he said. “They have a good story to tell, especially if some of the increased expenses will increase revenues.”

About $150 million in higher costs are going to a fancier scoreboard than originally envisioned and enhancements to luxury suites, club suites and restaurants that went beyond the original architectural plans — all designed to produce cash.

The scope of space dedicated to the wealthiest’s pursuits in suites and pampered club areas is stunning. The two-level Legends Suite Club will serve the 1,800 ticket holders who will sit closest to the field in 1,800 cushioned seats extending along the baselines from home plate. Hopefully, when ticket prices are announced, the wealthiest in their premium areas will subsidize the regular Joes.

(There is also a conference center — if a meeting breaks out in the sixth inning.)

Another $60 million is to pay for security improvements that were recommended by the New York Police Department and $50 million was associated with starting construction several months late in August 2006 because of lawsuits.

The stadium is starting to look like something, much like Citi Field, which is rising in Flushing beside Shea Stadium. Both ballparks are racing to be completed by April 2009.

The dueling Yankee Stadiums face each other across 161st Street. The partly finished granite and limestone exterior of the new one winks at the ancient House That Ruth Built as if to say, “I’m going to be look better than you — and I’ll have wider seats.”

Gate 4, at the corner of 161st Street and Jerome Avenue, gleamed in the gray chill.

YANKEE STADIUM is inscribed into the stone and highlighted in gold leaf. Circular holes on either side of the inscription await the arrival of sculptured medallions of eagles that were part of the original design by Osborne Engineering.

“I just ran across Ruppert’s 1924 income tax return where he started amortizing the $2 million construction cost,” Trost said. “For $2 million, we can build a seat.”

Actually, arithmetic proves that the 53,000 seats will cost $22,641 each. (Cheap!)

Inside, much of the steel structure is completed, and the most striking feature so far on display is a 21st-century rendition of the rooftop frieze that defined the old stadium’s design. The old one was copper and turned green through oxidation. The new frieze is made of steel, painted white and was delivered in 39 six-ton pieces.

About half are in place, giving the new place its first indication of grandeur.

Trost’s tour of the construction site meandered from outside (with what appears to be a much gentler grade to the seating, offering fewer steep views), to the inside, where he walked through the Yankees’ clubhouse, showers and weight room. He gestured down a corridor and said, “Torre’s office is that way.” Reminded of the transfer in power from Joe Torre to Joe Girardi, he added with a smile, “You know it’s Joe’s office.”

Old Posted Feb 9, 2008, 3:21 AM
gettin' rich!

my word......

Old Posted Mar 10, 2008, 10:08 AM
Everywhere all at once

HEY! What the hell? Where's the updates on this stadium? It's been over a month now....

Old Posted Mar 11, 2008, 11:06 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
HEY! What the hell? Where's the updates on this stadium? It's been over a month now....

Go ahead, we're wating...

Old Posted Mar 12, 2008, 2:50 PM

ill have some updated pics this week! i never rememebr to take my camera, i have lots of pics from giants stadium ill post those up soon, that stadium is going up faster then you can imagine! and for a design build everyone is doing there job well!!!

Old Posted Mar 12, 2008, 9:22 PM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Go ahead, we're wating...
LOL Geez I wish, but being in Chicago doesn't help me take pictures of New York....and even if I was home, I doubt you'd catch me in the Bronx anyway. I may be working for my dad's union this summer, Local 3 Electric, so I may be finally able to give back to this site.

Thanks Stud Guy! I look forward to it.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2008, 6:23 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
LOL Geez I wish, but being in Chicago doesn't help me take pictures of New York.....
True enough, but you don't even have to be in New York to get updates.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 5:54 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 11:19 PM

I tried but can't seem to find a rendering with a view of the stadium from centerfield looking back towards homeplate.

Strangely, we don't know what that part of the stadium will look like because there just isn't any renderings from that perspective.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 11:38 PM
World Machine

It'll certainly be an amazing stadium. I'm looking foward to attend 'Opening Day 2009'.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2008, 12:42 AM
BANNED

Wow, I'm a Phillies fan (sort of...I really am only truly passionate about the Flyers and Eagles) and not a fan of the Yankees and the negative connotations they have come to symbolize, but I have to admit, this is a spectacular stadium. Will it have nice views of your skyline? I also love the placement directly next to the subway. Very smart, and kind of a no-brainer but in a lot of cities around the country, sadly that's not always on the radar... two thumbs up! I'd love to see a game there.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2008, 1:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don098 View Post
Wow, I'm a Phillies fan (sort of...I really am only truly passionate about the Flyers and Eagles) and not a fan of the Yankees and the negative connotations they have come to symbolize, but I have to admit, this is a spectacular stadium. Will it have nice views of your skyline? I also love the placement directly next to the subway. Very smart, and kind of a no-brainer but in a lot of cities around the country, sadly that's not always on the radar... two thumbs up! I'd love to see a game there.
There isn't really any skyline view to speak of, since Manhattan is to the south and ballparks generally face east - on the other hand, one of my favorite parts of the Stadium was the fact that it looked out onto the neighborhood. It makes it feel more accessible and integrated, IMO.

The renderings are nice, but it's hard not to get a bit rankled a bit at how much emphasis is being placed on the luxurious features as opposed to the sections of the park geared toward the great unwashed (which, admittedly, anyone who's been following the progress will have seen coming a mile away, but it's still irksome).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive